Diablo® III

To the top players: How did you get rich?

I'm a notch below your "rich" definition, but in my case there isn't any rocket science.

Kill a lot of elites in Act 3 Inferno (my WD is > 17,000 now) and keep your fingers crossed.

Go Fast:
- I never pick up any blue items or even yellow items < ilvl 61. This speeds things up a lot.
- Never backtrack in a dungeon. If you get to the exit, or exit to the next dungeon level, take it (backtracking is a huge time sink).
- Have at least one item with pickup radius (so you don't need to walk over gold piles to pick them up).
- If you usually play solo, try a public game (this helped me see how fast a lot of people actually farm, and sped me up quite a bit). If you play in a public game, never stop to ID items, just drop them un'id into your stash until the run is over (or you will un-necessarily miss out on loot/exp)

Socket a ruby in your helm for exp bonus. This will raise your MF/GF at a faster rate due to faster paragon leveling

Some basic AH knowledge might be helpful:
- Most items you see in AH will never sell at the price they are listed at. You need to look for items with active bids. To do this, select an item and press the bid button; if the default value listed for your bid = the current bid price, then no one has bid on that item yet. Sort items so that auctions about to expire are listed first, then find a couple with active bids... this is the best way I've found to accurately price items
- Be patient when you buy something. Unless you see a B/O price you know is a screaming deal, if you are willing to lose a few auctions, you will eventually get a good deal on your item. The higher priced your item is, the more important this is

I've never used RMAH, but have sold 4 items for > 50 mil (one for 150 mil)... and a ton of items between a few hundred k and 5 mil.

Hope some of this helps.
Edited by BigRed#1100 on 10/4/2012 4:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
- luck
- bot
- money
Reply Quote
i'm not super rich but my gear is worth a couple hundred million.

before 1.04 i barely played. i spent more of my time flipping on the auction house.

once paragons were introduced, i started farming a lot more. i've found a nice inna's helm, 2 nice dex trifecta rings, and a ton of stuff in the 5-10m range.

funny thing is, even with all the farming i still made more gold flipping on the AH lol
Reply Quote
View profile
Made a thread about this. Basically you just play way more than the average player. I've gotten lucky on several occasions selling a good lacuni for 400m, good trifecta ring for 200m. But those lucky drops don'tcome around too often. Most of my other income is just from farming my bum off selling mediocre items.

No need to flip items, buy gold or bot. Just need alot of hours invested. And you have to constantly upgrade your character, you have to be smart in your purchases and selling. I guess that's the hard part really and that's why most people complain. They simply don't want to use the auction house or are pretty bad at pricing items whether for buying or selling purposes.
Edited by FruitVendor#2561 on 10/4/2012 5:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
rmah probably
Reply Quote
the ppl who are truly, godly, rich?

one way or another: exploiting. you won't even see them anymore. you'll just see the signs of their passing, on the RMAH.

just like the ungodly rich in reality: the only way they interact with our world is through other intermediate agents, such as hired servants. but for the vast part, they move in channels the rest of us aren't even aware of. (think "private jets", etc.)

every exploit in the book:
- early chest pop exploits (remember when MF worked on chests?! yeah me neither. blizz doesn't either)
- early OP (read: invincibility) skills
- multiplay (and variant boosting strategies such as how 50+ ppl helped that dude "beat" HC, first)
- old-fashioned (trade) scamming
- outright cheating such as bots etc.

and a little teeny bit of old-fashioned hard work and luck:
- godly finds (found more than a few sub-godlies at this point, but have yet to find The Real Deal, myself)
- AH flipping
- the 2nd generation of godly finds, post 1.0.4. 2-socket manticores, early skorn axes, shenlongs, etc. = insta-mega-rich.
- spending RL disposable cash

only recently (thanks to plvls ... or is it the grinding thereof?), have I begun to approach what I would call any kind of "rich" ... that is: actually pondering the fact that "there is a gold cap in this game, and at the rate I'm going I will actually hit it one day not that far off".

even so, the real "1%" in this game was defined in the first week it was released, if not the first 72 hours, and there is no hope of "catching" them, at this point, with so many things which have changed in the game to make that kind of wealth unattainable, at least at such relatively low levels of effort.
Reply Quote
Made a thread about this. Basically you just play way more than the average player. I've gotten lucky on several occasions selling a good lacuni for 400m, good trifecta ring for 200m. But those lucky drops don'tcome around too often. Most of my other income is just from farming my bum off selling mediocre items.

No need to flip items, buy gold or bot. Just need alot of hours invested. And you have to constantly upgrade your character, you have to be smart in your purchases and selling. I guess that's the hard part really and that's why most people complain. They simply don't want to use the auction house or are pretty bad at pricing items whether for buying or selling purposes.

Well said. Other than that its just the luck factor. Some people are just luckier than others.
Reply Quote
Just farm a lot.

Don't open chests.

Dont pick up gold.

Don't pick up anything except 62 rares and 63 2 handers.

Don't spend too much time on the ah unless you're flipping (which I don't do)

Every second counts, I have only played 140 hours of 1.04 but I have over 20k kills.
Reply Quote
Got a lot of great advice, btw I don't know why it links my sc2 profile, but here is my d3 profile: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/profile/ThepHaRSiDE-1645/

I feel what has been making me not rich after reading the responses is the speed of my runs. I kinda take a bit longer than the after fast runner by backtracking, and opening chest, etc. The reason I do this is because maybe, just maybe that super expensive awesome legendary set piece will come flying out of that chest.... has yet to happen though lol.
Reply Quote
Mostly lucky with items. also flipping items on AH. I didn't do the whole buy low and sell high thing. I bought what I needed and used it till I got some pocket money and looked for a better upgrade and then sold my previous weapon either for the same price I bought it for or a little bit more (also factoring in 15% AH fee).

Most items I get I am too lazy to search for similar stats so I just post them for 10K starting price and no b/o. Got a few good sales like this (some went for 10k, others for 40k and one actually went for I think 400k or 800k)

Also got a tal rasha belt that sold for B/o for 17mil (after fee) and a skull grasp that i might have undersold for 1.5mil (before fee) (but with 1.05 coming out maybe not)

Those were my 1st few sales. also got some nice in game offers off AH selling things for 50mil +
Edited by NgArclite#1673 on 10/4/2012 8:16 PM PDT
Reply Quote
So to make gold in a Fantasy ARPG i have to play a side economics based game called AH Tycoon 3

F8ck that!

Only reason people should need gold in this game is for pots and repairs......needing to make money to buy gear sucks a fat one

19 hours ago

You make gold with everything you kill. If you want ALOT of gold to buy your items in the AH then you will need to use the AH to sell your items. Or sell privately I guess.

Do you NEED any of that? Of course not. Play however you like. No one forces you to covet thy neighbors gold
Reply Quote
im not a top player but i've made 400m or so by ACTUALLY PLAYING THE GAME INSTEAD OF COMPLAINING

you get rich by farming
Reply Quote
Answer: Daddy works long hours so they can steal his credit card.
Reply Quote
No not by hours. My friend told me to flip ah around, he got 1.4b now just by flipping, me Only got 200m spare left. And he alsO told me just read 1 thread a day and Stop qqing still working i guess - except for monks :(

So to make gold in a Fantasy ARPG i have to play a side economics based game called AH Tycoon 3

F8ck that!

Only reason people should need gold in this game is for pots and repairs......needing to make money to buy gear sucks a fat one

Bingo, agreed.

People do this in WoW too and honestly I can't think of a more dull thing to do - if I wanted to play Diablo: Stocks and Shares Edition then great, however I do not.

With regards speedruns, the issue is that playing the game that way is, to me, not relaxing and way too "super srs bizniz". It makes it very boring and sucks out the fun of the game because instead of focusing on just enjoying the experience you're only thinking about "how efficient is my run", "how much g/hour am I making?" etc. that sounds like a job to me, not a recreational hobby.
Edited by Aqueous#2403 on 10/5/2012 12:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
found some stuff, flipped some stuff
Reply Quote
i will tell you LOL

3 options

- Godmode archon since may 15 (untill fixed)
- Godmode barb since may 15 (untill fixed)
- RMAH gold from botters that farmed gold once

they are rich ;d
Edited by Gorbak#2565 on 10/5/2012 12:31 PM PDT
Reply Quote
You will soon be rich.
Since everyone want to be rich and whine so much blizz is making it easie rto get gold and items.
But the backlash is that once you do get rich by todays rate of gold that gold or those items wont be worth so much.

So unless you change you effectiveness, how much you play or spend gold, the only thing that will happen is that everything you currently own will be worth half as much after this patch. Then maybe it is halved again in 1.06.
Edited by Aeis#2886 on 10/5/2012 12:44 PM PDT
Reply Quote
i will tell you LOL

3 options

- Godmode archon since may 15 (untill fixed)
- Godmode barb since may 15 (untill fixed)
- RMAH gold from botters that farmed gold once

they are rich ;d

invalid post. it was never hard to farm with either without the god mode. just farm more, do quick runs. long act 3 clears for example are inefficient for farming.
Reply Quote
I have been stepping up my farming efficiency as much as a I can, so keeping my fingers crossed to find some good stuff I can sell. Almost have a completely full chest of unid'd i63 rares as it is all I have been picking up on my runs. Have a good feeling 99.999% of them will be total buttshi*t though.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]