Diablo® III

Old hellfire ring was the real end game!

I agree, end game is fun, but not when it is repeating the same task like a robot for months on end.
With every good ring, there will be 1000 bad ones.
Edited by WrongBlade#6970 on 10/6/2012 9:52 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Problem is anybody who can even get the chance to roll a Hellfire almost certainly already has better than what the Hellfire will roll. How is that a good endgame plan? If the Hellfire ring had kept it's original DPS people would have been grinding for weeks if necessary and loving it knowing they'd have a Hellfire for their effort. Why the hell would anybody grind for this nerfed POS when they already have better?
Reply Quote
10/06/2012 09:28 AMPosted by Chillaxin
Can you imagine how demoralizing it will be for someone who finally completes their hellfire ring after many hours farming, just to find that the ring shows red numbers in all three categories (life, damage, and protection)?

THIS.

It would do that either way, before or after the change.

The reason why you farm the ring is because it's a nice leveling ring, that has not changed.
Reply Quote
I disagree a ring that procs damage for 3-5 million is game breaking we would all just get IAS gear to Proc our true weapon the one ring.
Reply Quote
10/06/2012 10:01 AMPosted by Lilspark
I disagree a ring that procs damage for 3-5 million is game breaking we would all just get IAS gear to Proc our true weapon the one ring.
Maybe if they were easy to make you could argue that.

I don't see why anyone would ever make more than 1 hellfire ring (2 tops for a follower) now. Before people were assembling teams and preparing to make many and spend many hours doing so. To me, that seems more game breaking.
Reply Quote
10/06/2012 10:01 AMPosted by Lilspark

You are right, lets nerf it by 99.5% into absolute nothingness.

Some people here i cant take serious, sorry.
Edited by Xeno#2262 on 10/6/2012 10:11 AM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Undead Warlock
10/05/2012 07:14 PMPosted by Freudian
Haven't you guys learned how unrewarding items with lots of random affixes are in this game? For every great Hellfire Ring, you'll have 1000 crap ones.

The problem isnt that the rings have a lot of random affixes, its that those affixes dont mean anything to 90% of classes.

Note to Blizzard: MAKE STATS MORE USEFULL TO MORE CLASSES!! Do something to make dexterity more useful to witch doctors, barbs and wizards, make intellect more useful to barbs, monks and demon hunters etc.

Something like this would probably work:

• Intelligence - Increases resistance 1 to 1 ratio (except for WDs and Wizards) AND increases Resource Regen / Resource amount.
  • Dexterity - Increase dodge chance 1 to 1 (except for monks an DHs) AND increase crit chance. (maybe crit damage)
  • Strength - Increase armor 1 to 1 ratio (except for barbs) AND increases flat damage.
  • Edited by Nemesis#1873 on 10/6/2012 10:11 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    whats BiS
    Reply Quote
    So, if we never had a hellfire ring in the first place, people would probably love the infernal machine. But because we had an pretty op proc and it got put into its 'intended' damage, people hate the infernal machine?

Even with small programming experience, even I can see that code conflicts can happen frequently. Not something that runs an error and prevents the program from running, but something with unintended results can happen a lot, and we call those 'bugs'. Though TOC was a bit fishy with the patch notes showing its damage output...

However, as my character really is not that powerful, having the ring as it is now to match my damage as a proc seems far to underpowered. If it can be scaled correctly such as by base weapon speed or reasonable damage scaling, or have the proc do at least 100k per proc, or heck, even make each proc leave a burning dot that stacks on the target i.e. a second proc on the same enemy makes it hit for the 1million and higher and the third even higher in the 10 million, or make the proc very frequent with 50k hits or something.

The ring is a bit underwhelming in this state. The previous state was unintended. This is what the PTR is for, though.
    Edited by Gattsu#1379 on 10/6/2012 10:16 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    It was a bug = BS

Do you know what is the real problem? Fun = breaking game mechanics , rmah(
    and ah also) = not breaking game mechanics(in order to work!) ...

= 5M dmg ring nerfed to 25k

Why cant the dmg proc on ring have a range roll ? 25k - 5000k?

Thus you would have iniciative to farm it again and again..to gain one with 5M dmg..
    Reply Quote
    Wyatt was out sick so they were going to have Saltzman from accounting push Build 1.0.5 Build 12160 to the PTR instead.

Damnit Saltzman, we told you to push Build 12160! God! How could you be so stupid!?! You pushed Build 12150 instead!
    Edited by Lycanar#1555 on 10/6/2012 10:42 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    Perhaps you will reconsider the over 200% nerf on wizard procs?
    Reply Quote
    10/06/2012 10:42 AMPosted by Ladysia
    Perhaps you will reconsider the over 200% nerf on wizard procs?

Oh wow, now it totally makes sense.

They didn't actually TEST the massive proc coefficient nerfs on Meteor, Energy Twister, and Spectral Blades.

They must have told Saltzman (from Accounting) to do that too. But, his wizard is only level 14, so he couldn't try out all the runes.
    Reply Quote
    It was actually a bug fix. The ring's proc damage was incorrectly scaling with a player's primary stats and weapon damage, which it was never designed to do. While we agree it was pretty sweet to see your characters do millions of damage in a single hit, no other Legendary procs scale this way -- and that's intended.

The Hellfire Ring will still be valuable, though. It may not be as valuable to players who have reached Paragon 100 now that it doesn't deal buttloads of damage when it procs, but it will still be competitive. Given the nature of how the ring is crafted, it has the opportunity to roll with some pretty incredible stats, so one of the rings you create may be BiS for you. Then again, it may not, but that's a good reason to keep farming (if that's your thing).

As for players who are leveling Paragon, we're okay with Hellfire being BiS. Yes, it will help you level up faster, but even if you stack it with Leoric's Signet and a ruby gem in your helm, reaching 100 will still take a very long time. And, as you've illustrated, the ring probably won't be a "must-have" forever, at least not for everyone depending on the stats you roll.

I.E. what this guy said:

The Hellfire Ring can still be BiS, now you just need to rolls to do so. You already have High main stat....you just need the 4 randoms to roll trifecta. It will now take a LOT of farming to get BIS hellfire ring.

honestly y'all deserve a downvote, I know you're just the messenger but blizzard really needs to get their act straight.
    Reply Quote
    Anyone saying the ring is fine now is so dumb they cant calculate 1 + 1.

Ring currently not worth farming, get it once for achievement and be done with it.

Blizzards real reason for the nerf:

If you get a ring that you will never change out because it is the best ring and you can get it for free, what gives you incentive to purchase something from the RMAH to fill that slot? None since there is nothing better to fill it with. Hence its one less opportunity for blizzard to make money on that slot.

Blizzard if your so F'ing concerned about a missed sale, turn it into a charm and put the proc back up to reasonable amounts of damage like 1-3 million and add a charm slot to the merc. If you don't care just remove the stupid quest and save yourself the money from development because you just made a waste of a quest with the nerf. Only an idiot would constantly try to farm it with the current nerf.
    Reply Quote
    The ring is still good to farm for, it has a high guaranteed main stat and some random properties as well. It doesn't need to roll trifecta to be awesome, one with crit chance and crit dmg or atk speed would be comparable to the best rings out there because of the high main stat. A trifecta one would be OP. :p I will definitely be farming the ring, but not as my main goal I'm just going to farm keys during my normal runs. It adds some extra flavor to my usual runs and it gives me a reason to start farming act 1 and 2 as well. :)
    Reply Quote
    Wyatt was out sick so they were going to have Saltzman from accounting push Build 1.0.5 Build 12160 to the PTR instead.

Damnit Saltzman, we told you to push Build 12160! God! How could you be so stupid!?! You pushed Build 12150 instead!

Balance Team hard at work --> http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dI_5mp8wsOU

xD
    Reply Quote
    Random affix rolls on legendary's is crap, make them like D2 where only the values of the stats vary, no reason to of downgraded legendary items in D3.

I don't want manticore crossbows/Windforces with int/str.

Outside of VERY select legendary's, you guys failed ridiculously hard with the entire legendary system.

No procs are any good outside of the demon on the 2h sword. No new interesting builds came about from any of the "revamped legendary's" I honestly think any Diablo veteran could have made better legendary's than what was put into Diablo 3.
    Edited by Bolo#1141 on 10/6/2012 11:29 AM PDT
    Reply Quote
    It was actually a bug fix. The ring's proc damage was incorrectly scaling with a player's primary stats and weapon damage, which it was never designed to do. While we agree it was pretty sweet to see your characters do millions of damage in a single hit, no other Legendary procs scale this way -- and that's intended.

The Hellfire Ring will still be valuable, though. It may not be as valuable to players who have reached Paragon 100 now that it doesn't deal buttloads of damage when it procs, but it will still be competitive. Given the nature of how the ring is crafted, it has the opportunity to roll with some pretty incredible stats, so one of the rings you create may be BiS for you. Then again, it may not, but that's a good reason to keep farming (if that's your thing).

As for players who are leveling Paragon, we're okay with Hellfire being BiS. Yes, it will help you level up faster, but even if you stack it with Leoric's Signet and a ruby gem in your helm, reaching 100 will still take a very long time. And, as you've illustrated, the ring probably won't be a "must-have" forever, at least not for everyone depending on the stats you roll.

I.E. what this guy said:

The Hellfire Ring can still be BiS, now you just need to rolls to do so. You already have High main stat....you just need the 4 randoms to roll trifecta. It will now take a LOT of farming to get BIS hellfire ring.

rofl i knew it, its a "bug" again.
    Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]