Diablo® III

Old hellfire ring was the real end game!

What does "BiS" stand for?
Reply Quote
The Hellfire Ring will still be valuable, though. It may not be as valuable to players who have reached Paragon 100 now that it doesn't deal buttloads of damage when it procs, but it will still be competitive. Given the nature of how the ring is crafted, it has the opportunity to roll with some pretty incredible stats, so one of the rings you create may be BiS for you. Then again, it may not, but that's a good reason to keep farming (if that's your thing).

It may not be as valuable to players who have reached Paragon 100 now that it doesn't deal buttloads of damage when it procs, but it will still be competitive.

buttloads

Hah. Lyrilla, you made my day.
Reply Quote
BiS = best in slot.
Reply Quote
10/07/2012 05:23 PMPosted by CyberGoat
Look at your rings - you mean to tell me that you wouldn't replace your +resist all / LoH ring if you got a Hellfire Ring with +2xx Str, +Resist all, and +LoH? It's an upgrade any which way you slice it.

Yes, except to get a hellfire ring with the stats you describe requires rolling +str (in addition to the str already on the ring), resist all, and life on hit. That means that 3 of the for random stats on the ring have to roll well in order to make the ring you describe, which is less than a 1% chance for those specific affixes. For a ring that requires several hours of grinding to farm, you're not going to be getting 1-in-a-hundred rolls any time soon.

I feel like everyone is making this mistake—envisioning a well-rolled version of the hellfire ring, instead of an average roll, and not taking into account how much grinding is necessary to find a well-rolled version with any kind of likelihood—and deciding that it doesn't suck because it has a chance of rolling good stats and not sucking. That's simply not how this game works. 99.9% of all randomly rolled items in this game are crap, as everyone who has ever cleared out there inventory after a farming run well knows. That is why all blacksmith recipes sell for pennies on the auction house (except for a few specific legendary recipes that actually have good fixed properties). Because the hellfire ring's properties are mostly random, that includes the hellfire ring. It does have some good fixed properties, so the chance of being crap isn't quite 99.9%, but unless they replace some of the random properties with useful fixed properties, it will still have well over a 90% chance of being worthless junk.
Reply Quote

I.E. what this guy said:

The Hellfire Ring can still be BiS, now you just need to rolls to do so. You already have High main stat....you just need the 4 randoms to roll trifecta. It will now take a LOT of farming to get BIS hellfire ring.

The only thing more idiotic then this guy saying "you just gotta wait till you roll trifecta", is blizz using him as an example.

Lolz, rolling duel damage mods is like 1/100....trifecta is prolly like 1/1000.

Anyone really think ppl are going to farm this ring that many times...really?

Im sure 1% of ppl with no life...rest of us sure as hell wont.

Skull grasp ftw....maybe hellfire for a month till you get 100 paragon.

I was considering coming back after 1.05...not sure now.
Edited by DeuceBigalow#1237 on 10/7/2012 8:22 PM PDT
Reply Quote
the activision crew trying to cover up again.i've been at level 60 for a long time and have'nt seen one useful item in inferno.no legendary items nothing.like i've said before good luck on that expansion.my whole family turns thier back on you.merry christmas,ya what are these bozos going to try and convince us of next.oh you really want to spend more money on the farm,out.
Edited by Jordea#1931 on 10/7/2012 8:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
so how much damage is the ring going to do? if its still at about the level of scorn it'll still make a nice follower item, assuming both you and your follower can wear one.

Most people would benefit from the ring, but then most people wont be able to beat the bosses on MP10 to gurantee organ drops.

Also are keys/organs going to be tradable? that was a very large part of the D2 economy with torches.
Reply Quote
Worst decision they have made regarding the new patch. At least have the new ring roll high vit, and high +damage in addition to the main stat and XP, but reduce the random affixes to 3. That way you if you roll at least 1 good affix the ring is usable compared to other rings.

Having +XP AND good stats is what will make people farm forever to get this ring.

If you want people to play the new content, this is what you should do.
Reply Quote
what they should do is not release an expansion,besides or in fact of the matter,in re ipso facto,there are more diablo3 games on the shelves than d2.do the math.lets see ,oh ya that means d2 is still outselling d3,you idiots are making more money for the original designers,go figure.what a bunch of clowns.expansion are they serious? not on my Christmas list,nobody in the family wants it anyway thank GOD.
Reply Quote
make something to ring that it will be worth to farm it 1000 times to get perfect affixes
For example add 300-600dmg as primary affix.
Reply Quote
10/07/2012 11:01 PMPosted by Jordea
what they should do is not release an expansion,besides or in fact of the matter,in re ipso facto,there are more diablo3 games on the shelves than d2.do the math.lets see ,oh ya that means d2 is still outselling d3,you idiots are making more money for the original designers,go figure.what a bunch of clowns.expansion are they serious? not on my Christmas list,nobody in the family wants it anyway thank GOD.
Edit your post to make more sense, please. Adding in a bunch of commas and a latin phrase doesn't mean your post is intellectual.
Reply Quote
Look at your rings - you mean to tell me that you wouldn't replace your +resist all / LoH ring if you got a Hellfire Ring with +2xx Str, +Resist all, and +LoH? It's an upgrade any which way you slice it.

Yes, except to get a hellfire ring with the stats you describe requires rolling +str (in addition to the str already on the ring), resist all, and life on hit. That means that 3 of the for random stats on the ring have to roll well in order to make the ring you describe, which is less than a 1% chance for those specific affixes. For a ring that requires several hours of grinding to farm, you're not going to be getting 1-in-a-hundred rolls any time soon.

I feel like everyone is making this mistake—envisioning a well-rolled version of the hellfire ring, instead of an average roll, and not taking into account how much grinding is necessary to find a well-rolled version with any kind of likelihood—and deciding that it doesn't suck because it has a chance of rolling good stats and not sucking. That's simply not how this game works. 99.9% of all randomly rolled items in this game are crap, as everyone who has ever cleared out there inventory after a farming run well knows. That is why all blacksmith recipes sell for pennies on the auction house (except for a few specific legendary recipes that actually have good fixed properties). Because the hellfire ring's properties are mostly random, that includes the hellfire ring. It does have some good fixed properties, so the chance of being crap isn't quite 99.9%, but unless they replace some of the random properties with useful fixed properties, it will still have well over a 90% chance of being worthless junk.

Exactly mate, they dont think in any way that this ring takes time to get to especially at the lower mp lvls where its NOT guaranteed to drop and you could actually do thousands of runs if you are unlucky, which is not the exception but rather a fact in this game which again can yield in dozens if not hundreds of hours of playtime which most people simply dont have ;) ... .

Even if it drops its extremely randomised at that that its practically near impossible to get at least two good stats like CHC or CHD on it ... let alone a tri-fecta ... . The difference from this ring apart of being account bound which i dont understand that it still IS account bound even after the huge nerf to its outstanding proc is that it will ONLY have a chance at low to mid level mps to drop from uber bosses while rare rings can ALWAYS drop at any mob in the game which tells you a lot about when you should expect a "good rolled hellfire ring" ;) ... .

The Problem is that a majority of the people with exception of the top barb players will not be able to play at mp lvl 10 which guarantees the ingredients and the ring drop so the majority will take an enormous amount of time to ever see one just to notice after the 3 - 4 secs of identification that it rolled like:

+ 15% chance to inflict x - y bleed damage over z secs
+ 10 y to health globe and gold pick ups
+ 22 poison resistance
+ melee attackers take x damage per hit

Thats what i call a engame item that still needs to be account bound because of the 35% extra xp and 170 - 200 main stat (the main stat alone gets easily trumped by a good CHC and CHD combination let alone a tri-fecta combination which shows me that the main stat is actually garbage without those offensive modifiers) which are guaranteed with the all new awesome proc effect that basically does not help in any way at mp lvl +8 because of the mobs having millions and even 100s of millions hp ... .

I think this game WAS a fast-paced A-RPG game afterwards when 1.05 hits the live servers ... . So much to a game that has actually had an extensive beta with millions of participants over at least 6 months and after release still is in a beta phase and now got a ptr phase which basically will make just one thing guaranteed and thats that the ring is useless the game got a lot harder and everything else that the community brings that could actually make the game fun will be categorically ignored because it would lead the people away from the all so mighty ahs ;).

I fully agree with you mate that people simply cant envision that this rings will at best roll average if blizzard not again implements some kind of "hidden modifier" (which would be nearly impossible for us to track down) that lets it roll good which would not wonder me at the slightest considering their "bug-fixing" that they want us to believe it actually is but oh well ;) ... believe me mate as soon as this current iteration hits the live server after a few days of playing there will be an uproar IF this goes in its current state live ;).
Edited by Merlin#1937 on 10/8/2012 2:04 AM PDT
Reply Quote
170-200 Int
35% Exp
Fireball (make it do double the damage it currently do. Not like millions, just double it and it'll be fine.)
5-6% Crit Chance
40-50 Crit Damage
+2 Random Affix.

That would make it MUCH EASIER on people due to effort and untradeability of the ring.
Reply Quote
170-200 Int
35% Exp
Fireball (make it do double the damage it currently do. Not like millions, just double it and it'll be fine.)
5-6% Crit Chance
40-50 Crit Damage
+2 Random Affix.

That would make it MUCH EASIER on people due to effort and untradeability of the ring.

Aka

"I want a guaranteed 1 billion gold ring for 1-4 hours of gameplay!"

That's basically the opposite of an endgame.
Reply Quote
The whole nature of this game is grinding. People know this, and still continue to complain. I will concede, however, that this ring goes beyond normal grinding (which I love, sadistically enough), and the thought of running a quest 1000+ times to potentially get a good ring makes even me cringe a bit. Luckily, most of my gear is crap anyway, so pretty much any decent upgrade is a BIS.
Reply Quote
I am paragon level 90 and i dont care about the +xp part one bit since i am already capped on mf with my follower and dont want to rush 100. So essentiall you are asking me to roll 4 random properties for 50k each try, not to mention the time spent on doing the quest. Yeah.. i am not going to bother with it at all. How many tries do you think it will take to roll even a decent ring? 100? I can just buy something better from the AH for 5M - this is what is fundamentally wrong with the item hunt - it is so unrewarding because of the AH and the fact that the odds of rolling something good on your own are so low. That ring and quest isnt for high paragon people sadly and i was really looking forward to spamming this quest when the proc was actually good.
Reply Quote
10/05/2012 07:06 PMPosted by Lylirra
It was actually a bug fix. The ring's proc damage was incorrectly scaling with a player's primary stats and weapon damage, which it was never designed to do. While we agree it was pretty sweet to see your characters do millions of damage in a single hit, no other Legendary procs scale this way -- and that's intended.

As a compromise how about scaling the ring to the monster power setting you're playing on ?

Perhaps multiply the damage it currently procs at by the MP level. (MP1 - as it is now; MP10 - 10 times the current damage) 25K damage is a lot lower than many people's DPS and 250K damage in MP10 is not exactly a game changer.
Reply Quote
This is so sad
Reply Quote
10/05/2012 07:06 PMPosted by Lylirra
buttloads

Seems to be a lot of that lately.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]