Diablo® III

Old hellfire ring was the real end game!

It was actually a bug fix. The ring's proc damage was incorrectly scaling with a player's primary stats and weapon damage, which it was never designed to do. While we agree it was pretty sweet to see your characters do millions of damage in a single hit, no other Legendary procs scale this way -- and that's intended.

The Hellfire Ring will still be valuable, though. It may not be as valuable to players who have reached Paragon 100 now that it doesn't deal buttloads of damage when it procs, but it will still be competitive. Given the nature of how the ring is crafted, it has the opportunity to roll with some pretty incredible stats, so one of the rings you create may be BiS for you. Then again, it may not, but that's a good reason to keep farming (if that's your thing).

As for players who are leveling Paragon, we're okay with Hellfire being BiS. Yes, it will help you level up faster, but even if you stack it with Leoric's Signet and a ruby gem in your helm, reaching 100 will still take a very long time. And, as you've illustrated, the ring probably won't be a "must-have" forever, at least not for everyone depending on the stats you roll.

I.E. what this guy said:

The Hellfire Ring can still be BiS, now you just need to rolls to do so. You already have High main stat....you just need the 4 randoms to roll trifecta. It will now take a LOT of farming to get BIS hellfire ring.

Sadly to hear that. I still think the Hellfire ring is the best thing of 1.0.5, including the whole quest to make it. But nerf it (or fix it if you like) in this way is not a very clever move, like all your other class skills changes, simply fix the damage or decrease the chance of some ability may leave a bad feeling to players: you guys are absent-minded with class balance and bug fix.

I think there could be more ways to make it very human. Like the whole Hellfire ring things, all you don't want to see is "characters do millions of damage in a single hit, no other Legendary procs scale this way", but it's still a very important reward of your first legendary quest, so how to balance it, not very imba but still very attractive, that's the problem. Nerf the damage is OK, but we can find some more attractive points to seduce players make it. I have some suggestions maybe can give you some hints.

1.The Hellfire Ring has four random attributes, considering the great damage of fire ball it was OK in the past but now it is not OK as fire ball sucks and other legendary rings have more random attributes. I'm playing a WD so I need vitality, resistance to all elements, hit adds life, critical hit chance, critical hit damage and so on. Four random attributes are far more enough, maybe you can give us 5-7 and that will represent the value of the ring and also make players to do the task again and again.

2.Maybe you think 5-7 random attributes+fire ball are IMBA, you may consider to give some special attributes like damage convert to life, movement speed, pick up yards, damage against elites and so on, that other rings don't have chance to make it. Even more give some classic rewards like more mana or rage, or some classic skill reinforcement like reduce CD or something but the ring should be better made in hero classes. We can call it "Hellfire - Condemnation Of Unformed Land" or "Hellfire - Vengeance Of Night Stalker" and so on。 That's really cooooooool.

3.Maybe you think both solutions are not appropriate, we can deal something cool with the +35% EXP things. Like heirlooms in WOW, the ring is bind with account, we can give it to some other characters to easy-levelup.We can also set a formula to control the value of attributes (including random attributes). For example, the ring has 180 int, when you in level 1 it become 3 int. I think it's not a very hard thing.

In a word, make it special and attractive.

Thank you guys for all you have done to the game, great job!!
Reply Quote
"Bug fix", "Intended" - Seriously this bs again?

Why do blizzard mostly balance thinks by either removing or doubling or halving things? Is it really that hard to do some fine-tuning? Of course it's hard because they released a game which was really bugged and incomplete, it was no different than a beta, there is no time to fine-tuning stuff, people are leaving so they have a dying game and they think it's the best way to give players some quick changes, little new stuff which should be hard to farm so that it should keep thep busy till next patch...

You have learned nothing blizzard, now there is no reason to farm for that ring. It will take really long time to get a reasonable roll, there is nothing which makes that legendary special and with new ilvl63 rolls on accessories rare items will probably easily beat that crap ring. Instead of farming that ring(a decent roll) if you invest that time to some high monster power runs 99% of the time outcome will be better.

I may do infernal machine just to see a new thing in game for once and that's all for me, I can see no reason to farm that ring.
Reply Quote
Does blizzard call everything that suppose to be nerfed as "bug"?

Trail of Cinders, Hellfire Ring, what will be the next BUG?

I bet 1 dollar that bugs like this will appear again
Edited by Akira#1756 on 10/6/2012 3:50 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Lol @ this thread.

Do you see what you have harnessed, Blizzard?
With your shopping-4-paper-doll-clothes model of a 'game'.

"Why would I farm for this ring when I can buy a BiS rare"

...read

"Why would I put myself through playing a game"

It's a laugh a minute, or it would be if it wasn't so sad how you have bastardized the genre.
Reap what you sew, because this is the clientele you sought to make you money, they will never be happy until the game is completely shopping-4-paper-doll-clothes with no content at all, cheap for you, and lucrative too, until it becomes blatantly obvious to every single real gamer out there who wont touch any of your products with a 10 foot pole.
Reply Quote
4 Dwarf Paladin
God dammit blizzard must you always stay a retarded child?
Scalling with the dmg and weapons of players is incorrect???
That's what it should do ffs!
You put an item in the game that is so !@#$ing random that no one will waste time to farm ubers when they only drop %^-* anyways like every other boss in the game!
As always the formular is:
Players happy = Blizzard nerf incoming!
Reply Quote
I played for hours on the ptr before the nerf, now i dont even want to login anymore.
I couldn`t care less about the +xp bonus, so what you get is essentially 170-200 mainstat + the proc, as long as you dont atleast roll crit chance the ring is not worth it imho.

For me, there is no incentive to farm the ring in its current state, which means not playing the new content anymore even before it went live.
Reply Quote
Hi D3 developers, love the game. I believe it could've been much better, however I just want this one point I'm about to write to be taken seriously...

DO NOT STUFF UP THE UPCOMING PATCH PLEASE! DO... NOT!

I can't imagine there will be many left in this game if the patch doesn't do the job, I'm kinda getting annoyed that everytime I login and join a chat its always the same ppl... I believe farming needs to be made more fun, to do that maybe making the hellfire able to roll like 7 randoms with 1 epic guaranteed roll is what ppl want, its what I want, doesn't break the game, encourages ppl playing, encourages team play but doesn't make it a necessity, etc. If you make it a dud, the patch will ultimately fail to keep interest. Please D3Dev's, I feel you all have worked hard and need to make this game last long enough til PvP and expansions are released, delaying tactics. I unfortunately don't find other games as fun after playing D3 (my first action RPG)...
Edited by Abdz#6619 on 10/6/2012 4:31 AM PDT
Reply Quote
LOL! People whining over a BETA ring. If the damn thing would have been coded correctly from the beginning, this thread would not exist!

Blizzard: Please don't get players hopes up like this again! *cough Trail of Cinders cough cough* The monk cough cough cough HACK!*

There are far more devastating things in life than disappointment. Adapt and move on.
Reply Quote
Old hellfire ring was the real end game. People improve their gears and spend lots of times to collect keys and beat uber bosses on higher MP level AGAIN and AGAIN just to get a better rolled hellfire ring.
So old hellfire ring was real end game. Now with this worthless hellfire ring, no reason to do these uber bosses more than once. No point/reward of uber bosses in higher MP level.
Blizzard should make the reward of hardest quest in game really EPIC, so in order to get a better roll, this is a really nice end game.
With this nerfed ring, the end game is gone. I was excited to do these uber bosses and was incentive to upgrade my gear to beat these uber bosses on high MP level, now no point in infernal machine now.
There are some ways to nerf that ring, like scale that ring's damage as your DPS, so that ring on weak players will never deal million damage. Or make that ring super difficult to get, like only M6 and above has chance to drop key, MP6 has 20% chance. Or make its damage scale with MP level. You shouldn't simply nerf it to ground.
By nerfing hellfire ring, you destroy the real end game you once gave us in PTR ver 1.
D3 lack end game again, and the whole inferno machine become pointless with the nerf of this ring. I am not looking forward to 1.05 anymore.

mind showing me a screen shot of this ring?
Reply Quote
The ring will be rolling out stats that you would routinely pay millions for on the AH... and yet somehow this ring won't be worth the time to get......gtfo

The only valid complaints, I guess.....are the credit card fan boys that will just purchase the BIS ring making the effort to to do ubers pointless.......hmm...lota credit card fan boys it looks like...

on MP1+ all rings will be iLVL63. While these rings dont have the exp bonus they do have 4-6random rolls just like the hellfire ring. Finding a rare ring is much easier then getting the hellfire ring. The exp bonus alone is not worth the effort

Most of us here have found hundreds maybe thousands of rare rings and how many of those had the right combination of stats?

Best post in thread,

the desire to now "farm" for hours at a time for this ring is minimal at best...if I happen to find it great if not I could care less.

Other than the XP factor...so unless u are in a hurry to PL to 100 not much interest in this.

Blizzard needs to bring back charms...if they tweaked the stats and made it a charm:)

One more thing, read a daym good comment about why it's going to suck that the ring will be account bound...If 2-3 uber geared awesome players decided to go "farming" for it, and it rolls with OK stats...what's their incentive for doing it over and over and over just hoping the stats roll your way on MP10? Too much of a pain in the a&&...now if those players could SELL it, I can see them doing this over and over for profit (of gold or RMAH) at the very least.
Reply Quote
f
It was actually a bug fix. The ring's proc damage was incorrectly scaling with a player's primary stats and weapon damage, which it was never designed to do. While we agree it was pretty sweet to see your characters do millions of damage in a single hit, no other Legendary procs scale this way -- and that's intended.

The Hellfire Ring will still be valuable, though. It may not be as valuable to players who have reached Paragon 100 now that it doesn't deal buttloads of damage when it procs, but it will still be competitive. Given the nature of how the ring is crafted, it has the opportunity to roll with some pretty incredible stats, so one of the rings you create may be BiS for you. Then again, it may not, but that's a good reason to keep farming (if that's your thing).

As for players who are leveling Paragon, we're okay with Hellfire being BiS. Yes, it will help you level up faster, but even if you stack it with Leoric's Signet and a ruby gem in your helm, reaching 100 will still take a very long time. And, as you've illustrated, the ring probably won't be a "must-have" forever, at least not for everyone depending on the stats you roll.

I.E. what this guy said:

The Hellfire Ring can still be BiS, now you just need to rolls to do so. You already have High main stat....you just need the 4 randoms to roll trifecta. It will now take a LOT of farming to get BIS hellfire ring.

iv seen alot of good sugestions for the ring why not take them into consideration personaly i would like to sefe the ring to be truely unique to all other stufff insted of a simular damage proc to everything else in the game
Reply Quote
10/06/2012 02:19 AMPosted by Carlucio
Instead of raging people should suggest a mid term for this ring, it was way too strong, everybody would use it no matter the rolls, but if Blizzard find a mid term that is not op but still good, players may even try builds around it.

if they would at least listen to us but its pointless, either you are blizz employee or just blind. Seriously all they can do is to "double it" or "nerfing it into oblivion", at least they mastered the art of Nerf.
Reply Quote
Sadly, Blizz, once again, chose to take the lazy way out. So many ways they could have adjusted the ring, to still make it godly, without nerfing it to the ground. Hell they could have even made the proc damage a random affix percentage. Rolled a crappy fireball damage ring? Go farm a new one! Even better ideas posted right in this thread.
Reply Quote
It was all a ploy to get people to farm it and test the mechanics and difficulty of the boss fights along the way ^^. Probably means ptr will go live soon
Reply Quote
insta gibs on reflect is the end game,
Reply Quote
10/06/2012 05:54 AMPosted by dannyboi
ol at all the noobs crying, the ring was a noob cannon, i see some guy just shift clicking not even hitting them just shift click and run letting the ring do all the work.

so it is better to nerf the ring into the ground? Now it will not be worth farming. The stats are random, the keys are random and the materials are random (except on MP10).

Just look at all the rare rings you have found, how many of them had a good affix combo? You can get several ilvl 63 rare rings from 1 full act clear, but getting 1 hellfire ring will take days of farming unless you are godly geared for MP10
Reply Quote
10/06/2012 05:54 AMPosted by dannyboi
lol at all the noobs crying, the ring was a noob cannon, i see some guy just shift clicking not even hitting them just shift click and run letting the ring do all the work.

Because D3 is all about skill right? Oh wait, no it isnt. Every time I'm sick of a skill based game I log into D3 to let my gear do all the work.
Reply Quote
10/05/2012 07:06 PMPosted by Lylirra
It was actually a bug fix. The ring's proc damage was incorrectly scaling with a player's primary stats and weapon damage, which it was never designed to do.

"bug fix", ok
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]