Diablo® III

Request for response on state of Monks..

(Locked)

I posted this in the monk forum but perhaps this is a better place to be seen:

Blizzard,

I hope you have seen the concerns people have had regarding the monk in 1.05 however we have gotten zero feedback on the issue. The monk player base feels that the class is so weak as of now on the PTR that they are selling off their entire gear sets and switching to different classes. If you take a look at the monk section of the forums you will see many threads on the front page of high end monks calling it quits. I don't agree that they should be selling yet since patch 1.05 is not final, but with so little effort on your part to communicate that something is being done, people are losing faith.

Please at the least let us know that there is or is not rebalancing going on behind Blizzard doors to ensure that this class remains viable. Some sort of response is needed.

Thank you for your assurances in advance, we all appreciate the hard work you are all doing.
Blue, could you pls kindly give us feedback!!!
It really is sad that its is been about a week and not a single blue has made a post about monks. WTH is going on? Just let us know if you guys are currently happy with where monks are or you agree with most of the community that it has some serious issues. At least then people who aren't happy with monks can either reroll or quit if you guys really are satisfied.
Edited by DJINN#1228 on 10/3/2012 2:40 PM PDT
Tarzan, I agree with you and posted a seperate thread on this forum about my PTR criticism. here is the gist:

The only criticism that I have has to do with the survivability of my monk in this new patch. I honestly feel like the nerf of STI down to 50% is too harsh. I understand the philosophy behind the cut, but in practice it makes the hard work I have had up to this point (casual player playing an average of 2 hours a night) feel moot. I will have to regear to increase my armor and resistance for even low MP levels. I don't want to be the person that brings up an issue and not present a solution so here goes. I would recommend either scaling the nerf back from 50% to 75% on STI, making dexterity (dodge) more attractive from a survivability perspective, improving the passives for the monk class OR ALL THREE (Ideal).

The lower nerf to STI would allow me to re-build my armor and resistance at less of an alarming rate. Making dexterity carry some kind of an armor, resistance, or more attractive dodge bonus would make monks significantly more competitive with other classes as well. Finally, the passives for monk are so reliant on STI and OWE because there are no other options that offset the dexterity problem. These two passives are where monks derive most of their defense from. Obviously one way to kill two birds with one stone would be to improve dexterity so that defensive passives are not as necessary. The other recommendation would be to update/add passives that are more attractive to different play styles.
I'd love to see a Blue post, kinda on hold from playing my monk anymore and moving on if they are not going to change them.
Community Manager
We feel that monks are in a decent place at the moment, and are a solid class in terms of power, but there are some things that we would like to address with the class. Namely: we would like to delve deeper into fulfilling the fantasy of what it means to be a monk.

Currently, monks spend a lot of their time applying an assortment of DPS buffs through the use of utility and survivability buttons. The bulk of monk damage comes from very passive gameplay, like healing yourself to get a damage buff, or applying Sweeping Winds and not looking at it again. We want to give players who enjoy the fantasy of being a blur of fists and feet a more active playstyle, and we’d love to play up some other fun mechanics as well.

For example, one possibility we’re considering is changing one of Dashing Strike’s runes to allow players to travel further with the skill so that it can serve as a mobility tool, but at the cost of imposing a cooldown. Another possibility we’re exploring is making Lashing Tail Kick feel more compelling by moving the knockback component to a rune, or changing a rune to remove the knockback and instead increase the damage more meaningfully. These types of changes are not minor tweaks, however. We want to make sure we take some time to make meaningful changes that improve the overall play experience for these sacred warriors.
We feel that monks are in a decent place at the moment, and are a solid class in terms of power, but there are some things that we would like to address with the class. Namely: we would like to delve deeper into fulfilling the fantasy of what it means to be a monk.

Currently, monks spend a lot of their time applying an assortment of DPS buffs through the use of utility and survivability buttons. The bulk of monk damage comes from very passive gameplay, like healing yourself to get a damage buff, or applying Sweeping Winds and not looking at it again. We want to give players who enjoy the fantasy of being a blur of fists and feet a more active playstyle, and we’d love to play up some other fun mechanics as well.

For example, one possibility we’re considering is changing one of Dashing Strike’s runes to allow players to travel further with the skill so that it can serve as a mobility tool, but at the cost of imposing a cooldown. Another possibility we’re exploring is making Lashing Tail Kick feel more compelling by moving the knockback component to a rune, or changing a rune to remove the knockback and instead increase the damage more meaningfully. These types of changes are not minor tweaks, however. We want to make sure we take some time to make meaningful changes that improve the overall play experience for these sacred warriors.

So they're saying they feel monks and barbs are in a good place so therefore balanced. Wow this is pretty sad.

Monks are in decent place comparing to barb? man.... i think i'm done with this game.

Ouch!!!!!
Dreams of decent passives and build variety crushed with a giant blue hammer.

you are completely and utterly wrong
10/03/2012 05:35 PMPosted by Vaeflare
Another possibility we’re exploring is making Lashing Tail Kick feel more compelling by moving the knockback component to a rune, or changing a rune to remove the knockback and instead increase the damage more meaningfully.

I like this Idea. Currently there are no appealing skills that spend spirit, cause a lot of damage, but don't cause knock back or stun. And casting overawe over and over just aint fun.
impose a cooldown for dashing strike, make the knockback a rune selectable?!?!?! are you kidding me?! that makes both of those things worse!
Dude blizzard come on! I just want to be balanced with other classes. I've invested so much time and gold in my monk. Why would you want to discourage people from playing your game? Are you waiting until pvp comes out so we get destroyed?

A blue probably wont even respond to this thread again lol.
Edited by DeathEnforce#1592 on 10/3/2012 5:51 PM PDT
This is ridiculous. How about you listen to your customers. There have been so many threads about how monks don't feel powerful enough and now you come in here and say sorry but you're all wrong. The monk is just fine. Well, it's not; so please get the god damn developers to look into it and not just brush all of us off.
Well that was not at all what i wanted to hear....But at least you posted about it Blue....now I guess Monks need to decide: Stay and hope for Blue to change their minds or Leave for other games.
I think part of me just died on the inside after reading that blue response....
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]