Diablo® III

Request for response on state of Monks..

(Locked)

You gonna be kidding? More cool down? A monk has a life to time to cool down but i bet facing demons and monsters is not a good time to have COOL DOWN
What's wrong with combination strike w/ 1 generator? I use it with 1? I gain 13k dps still from 1 generator even after dropping some dps. If i'm in a group i swap out combo strike for Fleet foot. Combo strike is still solid with high dps... lower dps forget it. Still not near as good as other offensive passives other classes get. But if you have really high dps it's at least not worthless.
"The One I Gave My Heart To"

How Could The One I Gave My Heart To, Break My Heart So Bad?
How Could The One Who Made Me Happy, Make Me Feel So Sad?
Wont Somebody Tell Me? So I Can Understand.
If You Love Me, How Could You Hurt Me Like That?
How Could The One I Gave My World To, Throw My World Away?
How Could The One Who Said I Love You, Say The Things You Say?
How Could The One I Was So True Too, Just Tell Me Lies?
How Could The One I Gave My Heart To, Break This Heart Of Mine?
Tell Me........
How Could You Be So Cold To Me? When I Gave You Everything.
All My Love, All I Had Inside.
How Could you Just Walk Out The Door?
How Could You Not Love Me Anymore?
I Thought We Had Forever.
I Cant Understand.
How Could The One I Shared My Dreams With, Take My Dreams From me?
How Could The Love That Brought Such Pleasure, Bring Such Misery?
Wont Somebody Tell Me? Somebody Tell Me Please.
If You Love Me, How Could You Do That To Me?
Tell Me........
How Could you Just Walk Out The Door?
How Could You Not Love Me Anymore?
I Thought We Had Forever.
I Cant Understand.
*How Could The One I Gave My Heart To, Break My Heart So Bad?
How Could The One Who Made Me Happy, Make Me Feel So Sad?
Wont Somebody Tell Me? So I Can Understand.
If You Love Me, How Could You Hurt Me Like That?*
How Could The One I Gave My World To, Throw My World Away?
How Could The One Who Said I Love You, Say The Things You Say?
How Could The One I Was So True Too Just Tell Me Lies?
*How Could The One I Gave My Heart To.....
How Could The One I Gave My Heart To....
How Could The One I Gave My Heart To Break This Heart of Mine?
Hmmm...

I confess, I am not a person who cares much about "competing with the other classes" per se. I don't mind if barbarians are better than monks...I like playing a monk. I played an Assassin in D2 when the "serious" players were blowing $#!t up with their sorceresses. I like the gameplay style. One of my first DnD characters was a monk. I am tempted to jump back into WoW to try the monk. I just really like monks.

That being said, I do want to be able to play all of the content with my chosen class without jumping through TOO many extra hoops. I want to know that I will be able to enjoy the monster difficulty and infernal machine systems when 1.05 drops. I want to know that I have a reasonable ability to search for the drops I crave (I have found 5 legendaries and 0 set pieces in 200 hours...all in act 1. Haven't bothered with mf gear since paragon came out tho, so I feel that once my mf increases more I will be happy with the drop rates).

I am glad that they are trying to delve deeper into what it means to play a monk and further differentiate the playstyle, I agree with an earlier post that in a lot of ways the barb feels more "monkish" right now. Playing my monk at present feels more like a paladin than a monk and I'm glad they're paying attention to that.

I also agree with the resounding consensus that our passives are uninspired. Our damage feels fine to me but I am constantly frustrated at how much more limiting our resource is than other class', how much weaker our class' main design concept is (referring to dodge vs the armor, crit chance, proc effects, pets, etc of the other classes), and my inability to find a satisfying balance between damage and defense.

The changes they're making are troubling to me because I have consistently chosen to gear for dex instead of extra armor, and Lashing Tail is my main cc to get out of trouble (don't like dashing strike)...so if they nerf my STI by half and take the knockback from LT I won't even be able to play the conservative build I already feel forced into!

I was/am thrilled with the progress made in 1.04, and I think the concept of nerfing defensive skills together with monster dmg is an elegant way to help build diversity, but the monk community is right...we don't have other decent options to diversify to! It's very discouraging, especially since the monk is far and away my favorite class and my available playtime is so limited that I would probably switch to GW2 before rerolling.

In short, I hope Blizzard makes some serious revisions sooner rather than later. In the meantime I will continue to play my monk so as to take advantage of the plummeting AH prices for my gear.

How sad that my only reason to play something I am predisposed to love comes down to economics :P
Okay guys and girls, get your tin foil ready, because...

I KNOW WHAT THEY'RE PLANNING ON DOING WITH ONE WITH EVERYTHING to achieve proper balance in the game.

It's really simple and obvious actually:

There are two melee classes in the game, Barbarian and Monk.

Barbarian is now the best* class in the game. *If you consider farming speed at top-gear levels.

Monk is arguably the worst.

Blizzard makes Barbarians better. Even when they nerf them, they are still awesome.

Blizzard makes it known that they think Monks are in a good place. Scares the s*** out of Monk players.

Everyone with a brain jumps ship and rolls a Barbarian.

Now there are only Barbarians. No more comparisons to Monks.

All Monks are now Barbarians... One With Everything = Every (Monk) is now One class (Barbarian).

Problem solved.
Okay guys and girls, get your tin foil ready, because...

I KNOW WHAT THEY'RE PLANNING ON DOING WITH ONE WITH EVERYTHING to achieve proper balance in the game.

It's really simple and obvious actually:

There are two melee classes in the game, Barbarian and Monk.

Barbarian is now the best* class in the game. *If you consider farming speed at top-gear levels.

Monk is arguably the worst.

Blizzard makes Barbarians better. Even when they nerf them, they are still awesome.

Blizzard makes it known that they think Monks are in a good place. Scares the s*** out of Monk players.

Everyone with a brain jumps ship and rolls a Barbarian.

Now there are only Barbarians. No more comparisons to Monks.

All Monks are now Barbarians... One With Everything = Every (Monk) is now One class (Barbarian).

Problem solved.

LoLed xD
OMG all those suggestion on threads .. on passives.. on spirit regen... on worst set...
devs/blue did someone on your team plays ptr mp lvl 10 uber if yes tell me how was it ??
good day
Edited by jon#1457 on 10/4/2012 12:41 PM PDT
This guy trying to make every monk re-roll?
I don't know what to say really...we have brought many ideas on how to improve monks...they ask for our ideas, but for what ????????? To say that monks are on a good place now ? You gotta be kidding me.
Well this news forced me to up my Barb to 60, now I'll be saving all my money collected and selling all my monk gear at 1.0.5 to fully gear a barb. This killed my monk. !@#$ing joke.

Mantras:
-The Mantra of Retribution is removed, since a reflecting damage skill doesn’t fit a class based on dodging attacks. Instead, a new Mantra of Resistance is introduced, which grants the same effect as One with Everything, i.e. giving you your highest single resist as all resist.

This is genius! If they have to nerf OwE, they have to do it like this. In combination with at least 1 offensive skillrune - like MoRetribution, ias -, it balances out quite nicely.
Posted by Icarus
... Monks are so gear reliant and the top tier monks are the only ones allowed for build diversity without it hurting them.

This guy stumbled onto the core definition of Build Diversity.

From what I can see, most skills (regardless of class) are underpowered without very high-end gear, and some combinations of high-end gear make skills actually powerful. Generally speaking, most of the powerful skills and/or combinations of skills have or will be soon facing the nerf bat, leaving only one possible result - Build Diversity is what happens when you have overpowered gear so it makes no difference what skill sets are selected, because it's *all* *about* *the* *gear* (and the mechanics of supplying that gear to the player base - and I ain't talking about drops)
So what I gathered from the only blue post about monks is they don't care and have no plans of fixing the any of the issues that make the class unfun in 1.0.5 and I should probably sell my gear now and roll a barb if I want to play this game?
10/04/2012 12:42 PMPosted by Shlink
This guy trying to make every monk re-roll?

Haha nope, just poking a little fun at Blizz and this whole situation.

On a more serious note though, I don't personally play Monk, never got excited about it, called out Barbarian a year before the game dropped just because that's what I loved in D2. My best friend rolled a Monk though, and the funny thing is, for a long time I was kind of envious of him. When the game was *actually* harder before patch 1.0.3, the Monk's defences were great. One With Everything, with proper gearing, made picking up resistances relatively easy (grabbing people's single res items with slightly lower AR for better prices than similar Barb gear with higher AR), armour that stacked with the primary stat as opposed to a secondary one like Vit, invincibility vs. only 65% damage reduction, etc. etc. It seems hard to imagine now, but for two people playing just from drops and the GAH, the monk was actually in a decent spot.

Then Inferno was nerfed... and nerfed again... and the emphasis went from tanking damage to dealing damage. And that is where I think most Monks (except for the godly geared ones) got left in the dust. For a Barb, it was as easy as switching the defensive passives Nerves of Steel, Tough as Nails and Superstition out, one at a time, for damage passives like Ruthless and Weapon Master, and now often a utility one like Animosity or Boon of Bul-Kathos. Monks went from needing defensive passives to using them because there wasn't anything else remotely useful to use. So at this point in the game, I roll through the game as a WW-barb (I only switched to it very late in the game after realizing it honestly did trivialize any other Barb build, though I still do it with a 2Hder), while my friend languishes with his 25k Sweeping Wind build that he said to me "is so boring to play where I press one button, and then wait to cast my defensive coolddowns when I'm about to die. I stand and hit some monsters, they hit me back, and we see who dies first". I honestly felt kind of sad, and even worse when I tell him that Blizzard doesn't seem to have any substantial improvements in mind.
Edited by Jashugan#1685 on 10/4/2012 12:56 PM PDT
New PTR patch notes are up. Wizards, DH, and WD got buffed.

Monks still broken.
We feel that monks are in a decent place at the moment, and are a solid class in terms of power, but there are some things that we would like to address with the class. Namely: we would like to delve deeper into fulfilling the fantasy of what it means to be a monk.

Currently, monks spend a lot of their time applying an assortment of DPS buffs through the use of utility and survivability buttons. The bulk of monk damage comes from very passive gameplay, like healing yourself to get a damage buff, or applying Sweeping Winds and not looking at it again. We want to give players who enjoy the fantasy of being a blur of fists and feet a more active playstyle, and we’d love to play up some other fun mechanics as well.

For example, one possibility we’re considering is changing one of Dashing Strike’s runes to allow players to travel further with the skill so that it can serve as a mobility tool, but at the cost of imposing a cooldown. Another possibility we’re exploring is making Lashing Tail Kick feel more compelling by moving the knockback component to a rune, or changing a rune to remove the knockback and instead increase the damage more meaningfully. These types of changes are not minor tweaks, however. We want to make sure we take some time to make meaningful changes that improve the overall play experience for these sacred warriors.

Please tell me you're trolling. I was hoping to stick it out until changes came but if this is how Blizz feels I'm re-rolling ASAP.
you players are so stupid , if you know blizzard is fooling around with you and treating you like an idiot then why keep on playing d3 ??? for me i already throw d3 in my recycle bin 3 months ago and never been touch since then
I am a long time monk player, and I have tested skills extensively, even with set-ups that allowed for up to 20 spirit/second base regen. I have had success with some weird builds (even ones that do not use a spirit generator), however they cannot come to close in efficiency to the cookier-cutter build. Below are a list of some of my suggestions on ways to improve monk skills. I will probably edit this along the way, as I think of other things. Also, need to address the passives, although I think that has been covered well already.

Some skills you might think would still be bad, and others you might think are OP. However, a skill just needs to be good enough in order for some people to think it is worthwhile. And in terms of things that seem OP, well maybe they should be. In my opinion, the cookie-cutter monk build is incredibly efficient, so if you want to substitute some of these skills, they need to be really good. Also, keep in mind, some skills are better in hardcore than softcore. I didn't do any number crunching to pick these numbers, I kind of just thought to myself how high would the numbers need to be in order for me to consider swapping it into a build (level 60 #s). So obviously, tweaking on many would be necessary.

Breath of heaven
Circle of scorn - terrible rune, change it to having BOH have no cooldown and cost 50 spirit
Circle of life - increase up to about 20k heal
Penitent flame - increase to 2 second fear
Infused with light - 8 spirit per attack (they already are doing this one)

Serenity
Peaceful repose - increase heal to about 15k
Reap what is sown - not sure on this one yet
Instant karma - remove spirit cost, gain 25 spirit per second

Inner sanctuary
Safe haven - 3k health per second
Sanctified ground - increases resource regeneration of all allies in circle 25%
Consecration - 7 second duration, double the AOE
Circle of protection - now stays centered on the monk, moves with monk, enemies can enter it
Forbidden palace - increase damage to 25%

Dashing strike
Way of falling star - increase movespeed to 25% for 5 seconds
Flying side kick - change from single target stun to 10 yard AOE stun (probably still hits 1 target)
Soaring skull - blind all enemies you pass for 1 second (or a high percent, maybe 70%)
Blinding speed - can teleport full distance, even without a target. if you do not hit a target, adds 3 second cooldown

Cyclone strike
Eye of storm/implosion - combine to 1 rune
Sunburst - 100% fear for 1 second
Soothing breeze - 5k heal
New rune - casting cyclone strike reduces all cooldowns by 1 second

Mantra of retribution
Remove this and replace with mantra of regeneration
All allies gain 15% resource regeneration. When cast, gain 30% for 3 seconds.
Tons of rune options, haven't thought too much yet, but some of the mantra of retribution ones could work with slight modifications.

Lashing tail kick
If changes like these were made, lashing tail kick would be more viable. Possibly give it slight damage boost.
One rune that would be fun is if LTK did double damage against blinded enemies

Before commenting, please look closely at all the skills. There is the potential for a ton of synergy here, and think these type of changes would really open up more monk builds.
Edited by Sheldor#1759 on 10/4/2012 1:06 PM PDT
Okay...This hurts.

BARB Frenzy:Maniac
-110% wpn dmg base
-15% attk speed per stack
-stacks every attack
-stacks 5x
-each stack adds 4% dmg

=110% wpn dmg + 75% attk spd + 20% dmg

MONK Way of the Hundred Fists:Blazing Fists
-140% wpn dmg base
-5% attk speed per stack
-stacks on crit only
-stacks 3x
-each stack adds 5% move spd

=140% wpn dmg + 15% attk spd + 15% move spd

.....WTH?!?!

Plus, the barb is backed by awesome passives! For a monk the only way to buff this is to use Combo Strike (which I do), where you have to carefully manage and time your attacks to get a 16% dmg bonus (assuming you use two spirit gens, which I do) and that only lasts 3 seconds, compared to the Barb's Brawler which gives double that as a passive effect!

Does anyone know how long the effect lasts on Frenzy? Bc WotHF only gives you the bonuses for five seconds...

I retract my previous calm demeanor and claim that I would keep playing a monk...Barbarian here I come! Your bounty of enjoyable skills is too much to resist!!!
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]