Diablo® III

Request for response on state of Monks..

(Locked)

too much time invested ... simple spirit regen request .. and fix the bonus stat on set....
cant re roll now ... -_- sad day sad sad sad
I feel like this is Blizzards way of merging the pay for class change model that WoW has. Keeping my paragon xp and becoming a barb seems like a viable option at this point.
Well, that's it I guess. After spending a lot of time and around 200M gold on my monk, patiently waiting for some much needed improvements, this is the straw that broke the camel's back.

I'm now faced with a choice - start playing my barb (which I leveled to 60 in 12 hours - RLTW is stupidly overpowered) or stop playing altogether. Haven't decided yet, but I'm currently leaning towards the latter, as playing a barb makes me feel a little dirty (this is how OP they seem after you've played wizard and monk).

I'll check the forums periodically to see if there are any meaningful improvements (there are multiple threads with great suggestions - all of which I agree with), but I'm not exactly hopeful (or thankful for that matter).
10/03/2012 05:35 PMPosted by Vaeflare
We feel that monks are in a decent place at the moment,

Anyone saying such a thing obviously don't play the monk.
I've compiled a few changes to make the Monk class more viable you may wanna review:

"General changes:
-Base regeneration of Spirit is increased to 1 per second.
-After death, the Spirit gauge is always completely refilled.
-All healing skills have their effect increased by the factor 2.5.

Skill changes
Active skills:
-Every rune of Fists of Thunder has the ability to teleport.
-Deadly Reach damage is increased to 120%.
-Crippling Wave damage is increased to 120%. Mangle rune damage is increased to 155%.

Secondary skills:
-Lashing Tail Kick damage is increased to 250%. Damage of its runes is increased accordingly. Cost is reduced to 20 Spirit.
-Wave of Light cost is reduced to 60 Spirit. Empowered Wave rune cost is reduced to 30 Spirit.

Defensive skills:
-Blinding Flash: Faith in the Light rune is removed.
-Breath of Heaven: Blazing Wrath rune is removed. Instead a new rune grants 8% of damage dealt as life over 5 seconds, similar to the barb’s Rend/Bloodlust ability. This ensures this skill not being a damage buff anymore, while maintaining a somewhat offensive characteristic.
-Inner Sanctuary skill is entirely removed, since a stationary skill does not fit a class based on speed and agility.

Techniques:
-Dashing strike: Rooting time is increased to 2 seconds.
-Exploding Palm: Additionally to its already existing effects, a target marked by this skill receives 40% additional damage over the duration of the effect, similar to the Demon Hunter’s Marked for Death ability.
-Sweeping Wind: Since Innas’ 4-Set-Bonus can’t be changed, the duration of this skill is increased to 8 seconds instead. Master of Wind duration is increased to 25 seconds accordingly.
-To compensate for the loss of the damage boost provided by Breath of Heaven, a new skill is introduced. It grants 10% increased attack speed over 30 seconds. There is a rune which grants additional 8% damage to further compensate, especially for the loss of the Faith in the Light rune.

Focus:
-Cyclone Strike cost is reduced to 30 Spirit.
-Seven-Sided Strike cost is reduced to 40 Spirit.
-Mystic Ally cost is increased to 50 Spirit. To compensate, durability on Level 60 is upped by 40%.

Mantras:
-The Mantra of Retribution is removed, since a reflecting damage skill doesn’t fit a class based on dodging attacks. Instead, a new Mantra of Resistance is introduced, which grants the same effect as One with Everything, i.e. giving you your highest single resist as all resist.

Passive skills:
-Resolve: Amount of damage reduction decreased to 20%. (As in Patch 1.05)
-Transcendence: Amount of healing is upped by 100% to compensate for the decreased Spirit cost for most abilities.
-Seize the Initiative: Amount of dexterity to armor transition is reduced to 70%.
-The Guardian’s Path: Dual-wielding dodge chance is increased to 20%. Two-handed weapon Spirit generation is upped to 60%.
-Sixth Sense: Upped to 40%.
-Beacon of Ytar: Upped to 20%. (As in Patch 1.05)
-Guiding Light: Affects heals on yourself as well, but only from active skills, not from Transcendence. Everybody who still wants Breath of Heaven in his skill bar can use this skill to compensate for the loss of the Blazing Wrath rune.
-One with Everything: Since the newly introduced Mantra of Resistance grants the effects of the old One with Everything, the skill is changed to grant the amount of all your single resist combined divided by 3. This makes the skill a viable, but not mandatory choice, while ensuring the maintaining of the worth of current gear.
-Combination Strike: Upped to 10% for 5 seconds.
-Near Death Experience: Cooldown reduced to 60 seconds. (As in Patch 1.05)
-----------------
The numbers I provided aren’t set in stone and some further balancing might be needed. However, to my mind these changes would make the Monk’s skill building more diverse and a better fit to its class description. They would also provide some possibilities to buff the Monk’s damage aside from gear.

Please feel free to comment or disagree. Since English isn’t my native language, any grammar or word correction would be appreciated."

Most of your suggestions are reasonable. The 2h Spirit generation by 60% is overkill, at 35% it already makes a 2her generate as fast as a 1her, and boosts passive spirit generation as well. At 60% it would generate faster than dual wield. Exploding palm increasing damage against target by 40% is also a bit much. Fixing the explosion radius instead would make sense since the 30% enemy hp doesn't scale with players, and apparently (i haven't tested) doesn't scale with mp lvl either, so it's really not all that significant.
im about to sell my monk gears too, ill quit or play another class if they dont do anything to monk
We feel that monks are in a decent place at the moment, and are a solid class in terms of power, but there are some things that we would like to address with the class. Namely: we would like to delve deeper into fulfilling the fantasy of what it means to be a monk.

Currently, monks spend a lot of their time applying an assortment of DPS buffs through the use of utility and survivability buttons. The bulk of monk damage comes from very passive gameplay, like healing yourself to get a damage buff, or applying Sweeping Winds and not looking at it again. We want to give players who enjoy the fantasy of being a blur of fists and feet a more active playstyle, and we’d love to play up some other fun mechanics as well.

For example, one possibility we’re considering is changing one of Dashing Strike’s runes to allow players to travel further with the skill so that it can serve as a mobility tool, but at the cost of imposing a cooldown. Another possibility we’re exploring is making Lashing Tail Kick feel more compelling by moving the knockback component to a rune, or changing a rune to remove the knockback and instead increase the damage more meaningfully. These types of changes are not minor tweaks, however. We want to make sure we take some time to make meaningful changes that improve the overall play experience for these sacred warriors.

look and count how many people agree with u ???
Seriously F...U!im done with this shiet
Edited by HellxYeah#1508 on 10/4/2012 1:27 PM PDT
I sell all my gear when they post 1.05 patch notes, my stupid barb is ready to go...
Ha what a joke, haven't played in a couple months. This is the final nail in the coffin for me. How can they say that "We're happy where monks are right now" when its obvious the class has been so incredibly butchered (no pun intended) by broken !@# developers who think they know "fun"

This really is one of the most disheartening posts (replies) from a blue ive ever seen. (More so than "Aren't you thankful"

Have these people even been playing this game>!?
We feel that monks are in a decent place at the moment, and are a solid class in terms of power, but there are some things that we would like to address with the class. Namely: we would like to delve deeper into fulfilling the fantasy of what it means to be a monk.

Currently, monks spend a lot of their time applying an assortment of DPS buffs through the use of utility and survivability buttons. The bulk of monk damage comes from very passive gameplay, like healing yourself to get a damage buff, or applying Sweeping Winds and not looking at it again. We want to give players who enjoy the fantasy of being a blur of fists and feet a more active playstyle, and we’d love to play up some other fun mechanics as well.

For example, one possibility we’re considering is changing one of Dashing Strike’s runes to allow players to travel further with the skill so that it can serve as a mobility tool, but at the cost of imposing a cooldown. Another possibility we’re exploring is making Lashing Tail Kick feel more compelling by moving the knockback component to a rune, or changing a rune to remove the knockback and instead increase the damage more meaningfully. These types of changes are not minor tweaks, however. We want to make sure we take some time to make meaningful changes that improve the overall play experience for these sacred warriors.

look and count how many people agree with u ???

guess no one agrees .. not single clue on how to play a monk on devs and blue
It's obvious no one plays a monk at blizz. I was hoping for some drastic wakeup call from the devs that the monk class is fubar and needs a fix. I guess I was hoping for too much. It's obvious to everyone else that monks need some changes, how is it not obvious to blizz? Do you want everyone to stop playing the class? I'm sure with this post lots of people are thinking about switching to another class because there never has been and never will be any love for the monk.
Edited by ViciousPanda#1160 on 10/4/2012 1:31 PM PDT
@
Mantra of retribution
Remove this and replace with mantra of regeneration
All allies gain 15% resource regeneration. When cast, gain 30% for 3 seconds.
Tons of rune options, haven't thought too much yet, but some of the mantra of retribution ones could work with slight modifications.

Monks have 0 base spirit regein so it pretty usless for us..

also something to point out:
1) While using Tempest Rush and you run your of spirit you start to get awful rubberband.. why?? Please fix that

2) Make Reflected Damage dodegable again. Monks and DH's suffer a lot cos of it. WD/Wiz/Barb have their main stat that increase either armor/res but our main stat increase dodge that is useless vs 1 whole affix.. especially bad for a tank considering there are 3 other affexis on the elite aswell.

3) Change Sixth Sense. Make it increase Crit Rate by 30% of your dodge. That way there will be more options in what mantra to take and The Guardian's Path would be way more appealing aswell.

4) Mantra Of Healing rune Boon of Inspiration.. Really?? 186 LoH on it?? LoH dun scale with DPS.. especially vs Reflect dmg. Make it 3% LifeSteal.

5)Serenity rune Reap What is Sown. when you start to read this rune.. you get exited.. when shield end it does 30% dmg absorbed as AOE.. and then you read the last line.. can't exeed 100% of your life?? when a mob has 100m HP how does 40k hit help? Remove the Cap on it.

6)Breath of Heaven rune Infused with Light. Make it that we gain 6spirit/second for 5seconds not extra spirit from spirit gen skills.

my 2 cents that i feel would change monk build diversity..
And there is a lot more to be changed.. but this is just what i feel would make a big difference.
Call em troll if you want, but that response is what you are expecting. I mean, monk feels very passive, but not at all weak. Monk can have tons of all res and do great and better them any other class with lots of cheap arcane res + mf gear. Yeah, this is about to change when ppl get to plvl100, but I feeling greating been able to farm act 3 with 260% mf + NV with a no-more-than-1kk gear. Yeah, thats right, I said it!

So, I want monk to feel more powerful too, like any other class, and more offensive, meaning, buff attack skills like its kicks and punch, and rely a little less in mantra+heal+serenity+sweeping spamming, cuz its all about it for now.
The more I think about this response the madder I get.
cooldown on dashing strike... coolstorybro!
you obviously never used dashing strike. Dashing strike is the core skill of a monk. Dashing strike is what monks are all about! moving at the speed of light, swift as the wind, faster than the eye can follow! I am one of the few monks that actually use dashing strike. The reason most people dont use it is because its broken as !@#$. If you dont click right on an enemy you'll dash 5yards away. I'll tell you what to do, keep it as it is, add the option to dash anywhere on the screen, or dont do anything, but dont %^-*ing add a cooldown or no one will use it, not even me
Edited by PS0wnage#2748 on 10/4/2012 1:47 PM PDT

Your people have no clue why Monks resort to a passive playstyle choosing skills that buff spirit generators over active skills. The problem lies in the basic design of the class. We monks are required to hit enemies in order to generate spirit unless we actively gear for spirit regeneration (which makes monk gear even more expensive than others and gimping dps/LoH by competing on weapons and even then the max is only 7.5 spirit per second).

Since we're required to use spirit generators nonstop in combat, it's obvious we're forced to use skills that cost little spirit to buff the generators over active damage skills. We have no way of recovering spirit while using the active skills and can't sustain any of them for them to be used over spirit generators that already deal good damage. On the other hand, Barbarians have skills that directly generate Fury. They can also hit any objects to recover Fury. Most importantly, they have Fury on hit and on crit skills that STILL WORKS WHILE CHANNELING AN ACTIVE SKILL. This allows them to diversify their builds by not having to use Bash/Cleave/Frenzy 90% of them time like monks do.

This "passive playstyle" problem lies in how Spirit as a resource was designed. You're not gonna solve this just by changing active skills. The only way to solve it is to give either massive native spirit generation or give monks "spirit on hit" or "spirit on crit" runes that WORKS ACROSS ALL SKILLS and not just on a spirit generator. Either that or give monks a skill with long CD that generates 100 spirit instantly.
I'v played both ww barb and monk. In my opinion my monk killed just as fast as my barb. In fact, i prefered the monk due to its higher single target dps.
Are monks really that crippled? They are the only class I haven't played.

I've noticed in a lot of streams (hardcore A3 inferno) that monks are very happy with their class in terms of kill speed and ability to stay alive. They seem highly mobile with reasonable damage and a lot of survivability. Being able to avoid death is really useful too.
90 Undead Warlock
Dude blizzard come on! I just want to be balanced with other classes. I've invested so much time and gold in my monk. Why would you want to discourage people from playing your game? Are you waiting until pvp comes out so we get destroyed?

A blue probably wont even respond to this thread again lol.

FYI if pvp were to be implemented right now, every class EXCEPT monks would get 1 shotted. Monks would get 2-3 shotted because they have so much mitigation (dodge out the !@# and spells that absorb damage)

Most classes hit harder with 1 shot then most people have in their HP pool. Even barbs dont have the survivability of monks (not including WW barbs which are getting nerfed)
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]