Diablo® III

Request for response on state of Monks..

(Locked)

monks have no trouble keeping up with other classes pre lvl 60 and til 25-30k DPS.. after that it just falls off.. for 120k+ DPS you need gear that is worth a bil.
Our set is fail aswell.. only 2 good things on it.. (2) gives +130 dex and (4) gives 70 spirit decreased for sweeping wind... And they complain that ppl use sweeping wind too much?? (3) gives 0.33 spirit/sec.. I mean really? takes 75sec to get enough spirit for Breath of Heaven??..
Are monks really that crippled? They are the only class I haven't played.

I've noticed in a lot of streams (hardcore A3 inferno) that monks are very happy with their class in terms of kill speed and ability to stay alive. They seem highly mobile with reasonable damage and a lot of survivability. Being able to avoid death is really useful too.

Monks are not that crippled, though some say that they are on the PTR at high mp levels since the high power monks right now are skating by by killing things fast enough that they don't die and more hp removes that strategy. However, monks do lack variety in a very bad way. No other class leaves you quite so dumbfounded when you contemplate skill tweaks or trying to come up with a new way to play your character.
Lack of class options is a problem for all classes I think and that is definitely more apparent in hardcore mode too. Most classes seem to have 4 skills that you absolutely must get and the other 2 skills are usually so much better than the rest you end up picking them and if you're lucky your class might have 2 builds that rely being locked into 4 diff sets of skills.

What makes the monk's DPS worse really?... All classes gain DPS by the same methods for the most part.

1. Stack your primary damage stat.
2. Get a lot of crit rate.
3. Get a lot of crit damage.
4. Optionally use a passive and/or active skill to boost your damage.

Now you deal a ton of damage.
Edited by viscrom#1983 on 10/4/2012 2:02 PM PDT
This blue post is just a joke. Sure any monk can faceroll mp0-6, because any class can, and because you don't need any survivabilty for that.

Pass mp7, i feel my dh stuffed with my monk's gear will tank more... Such a joke.
View profile
We feel that monks are in a decent place at the moment, and are a solid class in terms of power, but there are some things that we would like to address with the class. Namely: we would like to delve deeper into fulfilling the fantasy of what it means to be a monk.

Currently, monks spend a lot of their time applying an assortment of DPS buffs through the use of utility and survivability buttons. The bulk of monk damage comes from very passive gameplay, like healing yourself to get a damage buff, or applying Sweeping Winds and not looking at it again. We want to give players who enjoy the fantasy of being a blur of fists and feet a more active playstyle, and we’d love to play up some other fun mechanics as well.

For example, one possibility we’re considering is changing one of Dashing Strike’s runes to allow players to travel further with the skill so that it can serve as a mobility tool, but at the cost of imposing a cooldown. Another possibility we’re exploring is making Lashing Tail Kick feel more compelling by moving the knockback component to a rune, or changing a rune to remove the knockback and instead increase the damage more meaningfully. These types of changes are not minor tweaks, however. We want to make sure we take some time to make meaningful changes that improve the overall play experience for these sacred warriors.

I'm sorry Madam, but your Devs are utterly incorrect
Dude blizzard come on! I just want to be balanced with other classes. I've invested so much time and gold in my monk. Why would you want to discourage people from playing your game? Are you waiting until pvp comes out so we get destroyed?

A blue probably wont even respond to this thread again lol.

FYI if pvp were to be implemented right now, every class EXCEPT monks would get 1 shotted. Monks would get 2-3 shotted because they have so much mitigation (dodge out the !@# and spells that absorb damage)

Most classes hit harder with 1 shot then most people have in their HP pool. Even barbs dont have the survivability of monks (not including WW barbs which are getting nerfed)

You forgot the part where there ISN'T PVP. And by the time Blizzard gets to PvP we will be pushing 2014. So some of us want to play before then with our monks.
when u look at patch note, all other classes are getting red fixes while monk got nothing. Atleast make inna set have base resist like ik or tal sets. how are they expect us to have high dps while having high resist. Also, 1 spirit regen. really?
I think I speak for 99.8% of monks when I say. F*ck this reply. I feel like shaking the sh!t out of you blizzard. What does it take for you to understand and listen. You're like a 5 year old kid who never listens and does whatever. I'm done with this game. F*ck monks and F*ck d3. Oh, and F*ck Jay Wilson too.
I'm mainly a barb, my monk is still in the 50s, so I don't know monk endgame, but I can say about lower skill progression and comparison...

I was very disappointed in Dashing Strike (especially coming from barb that has furious charge), the only thing I used it for was early on when character would get stuck and couldn't move, rather than teleporting to town...but seven sided strike breaks that glitch as well and is actually useful as an attack and burns off some cool down time when used.
So, moving more than a foot is the right step for dashing strike, maybe give it a range like furious charge but a powerful strike on one enemy (so you can charge at a champ in a crowd/horde and make a deadly strike for example).
@
Mantra of retribution
Remove this and replace with mantra of regeneration
All allies gain 15% resource regeneration. When cast, gain 30% for 3 seconds.
Tons of rune options, haven't thought too much yet, but some of the mantra of retribution ones could work with slight modifications.

Monks have 0 base spirit regein so it pretty usless for us..

also something to point out:
1) While using Tempest Rush and you run your of spirit you start to get awful rubberband.. why?? Please fix that
bump~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
2) Make Reflected Damage dodegable again. Monks and DH's suffer a lot cos of it. WD/Wiz/Barb have their main stat that increase either armor/res but our main stat increase dodge that is useless vs 1 whole affix.. especially bad for a tank considering there are 3 other affexis on the elite aswell.

3) Change Sixth Sense. Make it increase Crit Rate by 30% of your dodge. That way there will be more options in what mantra to take and The Guardian's Path would be way more appealing aswell.

4) Mantra Of Healing rune Boon of Inspiration.. Really?? 186 LoH on it?? LoH dun scale with DPS.. especially vs Reflect dmg. Make it 3% LifeSteal.

5)Serenity rune Reap What is Sown. when you start to read this rune.. you get exited.. when shield end it does 30% dmg absorbed as AOE.. and then you read the last line.. can't exeed 100% of your life?? when a mob has 100m HP how does 40k hit help? Remove the Cap on it.

6)Breath of Heaven rune Infused with Light. Make it that we gain 6spirit/second for 5seconds not extra spirit from spirit gen skills.

my 2 cents that i feel would change monk build diversity..
And there is a lot more to be changed.. but this is just what i feel would make a big difference.
We feel that monks are in a decent place at the moment, and are a solid class in terms of power, but there are some things that we would like to address with the class. Namely: we would like to delve deeper into fulfilling the fantasy of what it means to be a monk.

Currently, monks spend a lot of their time applying an assortment of DPS buffs through the use of utility and survivability buttons. The bulk of monk damage comes from very passive gameplay, like healing yourself to get a damage buff, or applying Sweeping Winds and not looking at it again. We want to give players who enjoy the fantasy of being a blur of fists and feet a more active playstyle, and we’d love to play up some other fun mechanics as well.

For example, one possibility we’re considering is changing one of Dashing Strike’s runes to allow players to travel further with the skill so that it can serve as a mobility tool, but at the cost of imposing a cooldown. Another possibility we’re exploring is making Lashing Tail Kick feel more compelling by moving the knockback component to a rune, or changing a rune to remove the knockback and instead increase the damage more meaningfully. These types of changes are not minor tweaks, however. We want to make sure we take some time to make meaningful changes that improve the overall play experience for these sacred warriors.

lol gtfo.
I don't know what these fools are smoking, but they better put away the pipes and rosy glasses and get their act together and start listening to the masses or soon the word will spread that this game is a farce and no one will give a rats !@#$ what they do, because we'll all have moved on to a another game that actually plays like a game and not a crap shoot based on endless farming and constant down time due to ridiculous endless changes which requires you to change your character build to keep up. I wish now that I had waited a couple of months before rushing out to buy this latest effort, I wouldn't have wasted my money.
We feel that monks are in a decent place at the moment, and are a solid class in terms of power...

the D3 dev team also thought that the game was good enough for release on May 15. You remember "the game will be released when its done" HAHAHAHAH what a funny team.
You see they are really "special" in that way.

Monks need changes, its not acceptable that they do less damage, and take more damage than other classes with with equal stats.
Edited by Dellus#2726 on 10/4/2012 2:48 PM PDT
What should I do? Keep going or give up.
BLIZZARD YOU ARE DOWN RIGHT STUPID !

SO YOU THINK THE MONKS ARE OK LIKE THEY ARE ?!

MUCK YOU !
10/03/2012 11:56 PMPosted by kewlbeanspx
Let's keep it real, you crawl your way through act 3. With 25k dps you probably get in maybe one clear a night, if you are a normal human being and have to work for a living. Nowadays anybody should be able to clear act 3-4 with 10 mil, so no big whoop there, a barb can do it on 5 mil and be more efficient.

I can get a 5-stack and kill siegebreaker in under 20 minutes. It's a cakewalk.
^ what a joke ... 20 minutes my rear-end .. with 23,000 dps ...

load it up , invite me .. let me see it .. lmao x1000
the monk is me fave class and those changes u mentioned sound rly good i hope u do it

lol gtfo.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]