1. We are a melee class. In order to deal damage, we have to be able to take damage. It's as simple as that. We don't have truly ranged skills, and can't completely avoid getting hit.
2. In that case one would assume that Monk should be great at healing, which would allow it to take more damage. In reality it's worse at healing than a Barbarian.
3. So perhaps it should have a lot of armor? It seems that that Blizzard disagrees with STI nerf.
4. Resistances then? Right now we have OWE, but if 1.0.5 is going live as it is right now, OWE will need a buff, not a nerf. And by the way, our set items do not have any resistance by default, they have to roll it as random property ...
4. How about dodge? No, it doesn't work on most of damage at all, and in case when it works it's RNG between two extremes - not taking damage at all, and being almost instantly dead.
5. So maybe it should be moving around quickly? No, that's for Barbarians. Of course, like every other class we are bound by ridiculous 25% movement speed cap.
6. Ok, so maybe we should be able to do a lot of damage? Not really, there are no DPS passives. Also, glass cannon "kill them before serenity wears off" playstyle is not viable in MP5+
7. Our set bonuses are simply bad.
8. Mantras need complete overhaul. Right now the choice is only between MoE:Hard Target (undergeared) of MoC:Overawe (overgeared). Mantra of Healing is a joke, if anyone uses it it's only for Time of Need rune. Mantra of Retribution is sometimes used with Transgression rune (I guess that with insane gear when DPS makes no difference any more it can indeed be a good choice).
9. Why none of the monks are using our signature weapon, daibo? Seems Blizzard is not worried about this at all ...
10. Our spirit spenders still are very bad, with the exception of SSS, which is only good because in addition to damage it offers temporary invulnerability.
Obviously 1.0.5 will not kill the Monk as a class, and with good enough gear we will be able to do MP10 - but the "good enough" bar for us will be a lot higher than for other classes.