Diablo® III

Request for response on state of Monks..

(Locked)

Vaelflare I thought you were our friend....but now you come as a Horseman of Destruction unto the valiant Monks of Sanctuary.

Why? Why I ask ye do yon Devs feel they must drain the fun from all these Heroic classes? What makes them obliterate all that we strive to discover in an attempt to clear Inferno and feel truly powerful? Aye, POWERFUL, that euphoric sensation we got in D2.

My friend, why have ye betrayed us?
This is just like throwing dirt into players faces and saying: "We don't care about monks, we think you should play what WE want. And WE want you to play demon hunter/barbarian/wizard. Doctor and Monk are crap. And we won't buff them because they suck because we say so" That's about how much sense that blue blurt makes. its downright insulting that player's suggestion is disregarded or overlooked to such an extent. Do you actually rely only on those measly in house beta testers of yours ? Do they know how to test ? Because honestly it doesn't look like it. And people don't want another marketing sugarcoated crap, but a straight answer in regards to why you are making these odd decisions. Personally i hate it when people try to funnel me towards something they want.

What makes the monk's DPS worse really?

The resource system more than anything, but also that the special abilities are too weak for their "cast" time.
Edited by SirNacho#1875 on 10/4/2012 3:05 PM PDT
Currently, monks spend a lot of their time applying an assortment of DPS buffs through the use of utility and survivability buttons. The bulk of monk damage comes from very passive gameplay, like healing yourself to get a damage buff, or applying Sweeping Winds and not looking at it again. We want to give players who enjoy the fantasy of being a blur of fists and feet a more active playstyle, and we’d love to play up some other fun mechanics as well.

250,000,000,000 gold bet says they nerf Sweeping Winds when they do update monks.
smth to add...
make monk more playable add 25% dmg reduction from ranged mobs.
also make monks get full spirit after death..
Edited by manaja#2479 on 10/4/2012 3:14 PM PDT
10/04/2012 03:06 PMPosted by BSHADOWS
Currently, monks spend a lot of their time applying an assortment of DPS buffs through the use of utility and survivability buttons. The bulk of monk damage comes from very passive gameplay, like healing yourself to get a damage buff, or applying Sweeping Winds and not looking at it again. We want to give players who enjoy the fantasy of being a blur of fists and feet a more active playstyle, and we’d love to play up some other fun mechanics as well.

250,000,000,000 gold bet says they nerf Sweeping Winds when they do update monks.

What's ironic is that the set we have to work towards gives us the ability to use sweeping wind with less spririt. So the gear they give us says it's important, yet they acknowledge that it's boring in that you cast it before a battle and forget about it.
I don't play a monk but I have a friend with a very similar level of gear as mine that puts me to shame at farming speed and survival. I don't know what build he uses exactly but I do know that he doesn't use Seize the Initiative at all and manages to dual wield like a pro.

He's going to be laughing at me at higher monster levels when my WW build falters from the nerfs and he's still plowing through like nothing ever happened to his class.

I'm not informed well enough to really weigh in on whether or not monks are fine but I can tell you that his monk is fine based on what I've seen.
Decent? Really?

1. We are a melee class. In order to deal damage, we have to be able to take damage. It's as simple as that. We don't have truly ranged skills, and can't completely avoid getting hit.
2. In that case one would assume that Monk should be great at healing, which would allow it to take more damage. In reality it's worse at healing than a Barbarian.
3. So perhaps it should have a lot of armor? It seems that that Blizzard disagrees with STI nerf.
4. Resistances then? Right now we have OWE, but if 1.0.5 is going live as it is right now, OWE will need a buff, not a nerf. And by the way, our set items do not have any resistance by default, they have to roll it as random property ...
4. How about dodge? No, it doesn't work on most of damage at all, and in case when it works it's RNG between two extremes - not taking damage at all, and being almost instantly dead.
5. So maybe it should be moving around quickly? No, that's for Barbarians. Of course, like every other class we are bound by ridiculous 25% movement speed cap.
6. Ok, so maybe we should be able to do a lot of damage? Not really, there are no DPS passives. Also, glass cannon "kill them before serenity wears off" playstyle is not viable in MP5+
7. Our set bonuses are simply bad.
8. Mantras need complete overhaul. Right now the choice is only between MoE:Hard Target (undergeared) of MoC:Overawe (overgeared). Mantra of Healing is a joke, if anyone uses it it's only for Time of Need rune. Mantra of Retribution is sometimes used with Transgression rune (I guess that with insane gear when DPS makes no difference any more it can indeed be a good choice).
9. Why none of the monks are using our signature weapon, daibo? Seems Blizzard is not worried about this at all ...
10. Our spirit spenders still are very bad, with the exception of SSS, which is only good because in addition to damage it offers temporary invulnerability.

Obviously 1.0.5 will not kill the Monk as a class, and with good enough gear we will be able to do MP10 - but the "good enough" bar for us will be a lot higher than for other classes.
Curious, I went to dislike Vaeflare's post, and I couldn't. Hmmm. Blizzard, if this is your response then you have no clue what we want. Allow Monks to be like the old sorceresses with more mobility, what? But then take that which you would just have given away by adding a cool down, what?! I'm so confused ... please stop messing around with our game.

That's right, it is our game, we're the fans, we pay for it, we study it, we play it. When I sing for people, I don't think to myself... how do *I* want to enjoy this experience.. No, I try to think of how I can sing in a way that entertains or inspires my audience. Sure, I do try to enjoy what I do, but that isn't my main goal. I do it for my audience, not for myself.

Do any of you realize that this isn't a personal pet project for your own role playing group? This is a game that lots of other people play. Although I'm sure the number will be dwindling if you keep on making poor game design decisions and nerf-patching instead of simply only fixing things during patch that are genuinely broken from a coding perspective.. Seriously... more and more disappointing with every "response" I read from a blue poster. Listening - Blizzard, you're not doing it right.

~Philoi
CLASS DIVERSITY. YOU HAVE NONE.
My will falters.
If you gave BARBs the gimpness of monks:

• Armor NOW HAS NO MITIGATION for environmental effects and boss effects
  • Hammer of the ancients now gains 20% more damage, but costs 250% more rage to use (half your rage)
  • Battlerage costs 50% of your rage and lasts 6seconds, refreshing on attack.
  • Nerves of steel: Halved
  • Animosity reduced to 1.3% rage per second
  • Bloodthirst halved in power, does not benefit from aoe attacks
  • Sprint is now channelled rage cost, 8% per second, suffering from rubberbanding
  • Leap no longer gives damage immunity, and cannot traverse obstacles
  • All skills that "generate rage", now cost 10 rage to use. Taking damage generates no rage
  • Weapon master redesigned: No crit or cdamage. Causes bash and cleave to add 1 stack to frenzy.
  • Ruthless redesigned, now increases max rage by 75
  • Lifesteal on armor now rolls half of lifesteal on weapons. 1.5% max, as does LPSS
  • Barb 2handers lifesteal is halved to 3%, the same as 1handers as with LPSS on monks
  • Edited by papaHav#1428 on 10/4/2012 4:06 PM PDT
    The only problem I have with my monk is that I'm permanently out of Spirit. :( I have 0 (ZERO!) Spirit regeneration and 6 of 7 skills need spirit to work, I wonder why Blizzard thinks that Monks are fine with that. But maybe I'm the only Monk that has Spirit trouble (funny, my WD never had Mana probs XD ), I like to use Exploding Palms and 7SS alot but I can't as often as I want. Not even enough spirit to skill sweeping wind. Spirit regeneration with FoT is good but not nearly enough for my playstyle.
    Blizzard: please give the Monk decent Spirit regeneration or at least ANY ground Spirit regeneration without using gear or the one passive skill that gives 2 Spirit per second.
    Besides that, Monk is a nice class and fun to play, at least until Inferno. ^^
    The class is fundamentally flawed. There is nothing to be done, they should start it from scratch.
    You know what's funny? EVERY class can be ranged with how they buffed throw barbs....[jay wilsons deepthroating going on here] yet we are the only ones that cannot yet they nerf our armor and respond with a completely unrelated topic with their post and don't even listen to the community

I'm kinda glad I haven't played in a few weeks. What a joke
    Edited by Aplaudible#1923 on 10/4/2012 4:14 PM PDT
    Well, I guess that's official notice to shelf your Monks. Just vendor all your gear, level up your Barbs and forget they ever existed.
    THANK YOU BLIZZARD!

I thank you for finally stating the obvious, that you don't know jack about monks and that you have no clue what direction to take them. At least you told me and now I can liquidate my monk and move to a barb.
    I also agree with everyone posting here, my first character made was a monk and i have just started playing DH because the fact of the matter is, the monk class is garbage amongst every other class at this time and is continuing to get nerfed. May i also add Ive pumped millions into my monk's gear and have tried numerous builds close to 700 resist all, 30k+ health and over 40k damage at 1.8 a sec with buffs pumping out almost 70k for 5 seconds-ish, still getting one hit, never mind elites its almost ridiculous trying to take any elites past act 1.
    We feel that monks are in a decent place at the moment, and are a solid class in terms of power, but there are some things that we would like to address with the class. Namely: we would like to delve deeper into fulfilling the fantasy of what it means to be a monk.

For example, one possibility we’re considering is changing one of Dashing Strike’s runes to allow players to travel further with the skill so that it can serve as a mobility tool, but at the cost of imposing a cooldown. Another possibility we’re exploring is making Lashing Tail Kick feel more compelling by moving the knockback component to a rune, or changing a rune to remove the knockback and instead increase the damage more meaningfully. These types of changes are not minor tweaks, however. We want to make sure we take some time to make meaningful changes that improve the overall play experience for these sacred warriors.

Monks are in decent place comparing to barb? man.... i think i'm done with this game.

I guess you haven't heard about the Hellfire ring that's coming in the next patch, it will pretty much make all classes 10x better than WW barbs.
    I posted this in the monk forum but perhaps this is a better place to be seen:

Blizzard,

I hope you have seen the concerns people have had regarding the monk in 1.05 however we have gotten zero feedback on the issue. The monk player base feels that the class is so weak as of now on the PTR that they are selling off their entire gear sets and switching to different classes. If you take a look at the monk section of the forums you will see many threads on the front page of high end monks calling it quits. I don't agree that they should be selling yet since patch 1.05 is not final, but with so little effort on your part to communicate that something is being done, people are losing faith.

Please at the least let us know that there is or is not rebalancing going on behind Blizzard doors to ensure that this class remains viable. Some sort of response is needed.

Thank you for your assurances in advance, we all appreciate the hard work you are all doing.

Honestly your completely overreacting, go search the forums, EVERYBODY thinks their classes are getting nerfed. They aren't nerfing anything their pretty much just changing how skills work. So adapt your play style to the skill changes or as you said most people were doing, sell your gear and change classes.
    This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
    Explain (256 characters max)
    Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]