Diablo® III

Request for response on state of Monks..

(Locked)

We feel that monks are in a decent place at the moment, and are a solid class in terms of power, but there are some things that we would like to address with the class. Namely: we would like to delve deeper into fulfilling the fantasy of what it means to be a monk.

Currently, monks spend a lot of their time applying an assortment of DPS buffs through the use of utility and survivability buttons. The bulk of monk damage comes from very passive gameplay, like healing yourself to get a damage buff, or applying Sweeping Winds and not looking at it again. We want to give players who enjoy the fantasy of being a blur of fists and feet a more active playstyle, and we’d love to play up some other fun mechanics as well.

For example, one possibility we’re considering is changing one of Dashing Strike’s runes to allow players to travel further with the skill so that it can serve as a mobility tool, but at the cost of imposing a cooldown. Another possibility we’re exploring is making Lashing Tail Kick feel more compelling by moving the knockback component to a rune, or changing a rune to remove the knockback and instead increase the damage more meaningfully. These types of changes are not minor tweaks, however. We want to make sure we take some time to make meaningful changes that improve the overall play experience for these sacred warriors.

I could go off with a 100 page rant here, but I think it's already been said by everybody else in this thread. This post, in all its entirety, is completely and utterly false. It's amazing how you guys don't listen to anything monks have been saying for a very long time. I love monk. It's where my heart is. All this time, I thought you guys would buff other skills to offset the nerfs. But you don't. I thought the changes you guys made in 1.04 was a GOOD START. I had faith there would be more to follow. You guys saying that we're in a good place, meaning, don't expect any other changes, is horrifying. Meanwhile, you continue to make playing a barb even more diverse and attractive.

How is it possible to be so blind? Are you really going to leave the state of monks with that statement and move along now? After all of the outrage in this thread?

REALLY?!?!?!?
10/04/2012 04:19 PMPosted by OneCrazySin
I also agree with everyone posting here, my first character made was a monk and i have just started playing DH because the fact of the matter is, the monk class is garbage amongst every other class at this time and is continuing to get nerfed. May i also add Ive pumped millions into my monk's gear and have tried numerous builds close to 700 resist all, 30k+ health and over 40k damage at 1.8 a sec with buffs pumping out almost 70k for 5 seconds-ish, still getting one hit, never mind elites its almost ridiculous trying to take any elites past act 1.

I do think the monk needs a couple of adjustments to be sure (OFFENSIVE PASSIVES!!) but I don't understand posts like these. My monk has very similar stats: 680 resist all, 27k health, 42k damage (almost 49k with blazing wrath), and a 2.03 attack speed...and I clear the game with relative ease. I do die occaisionally, but not enough to make Act 3/4 or Whimsy a problem, and I am certainly not a great player.
10/04/2012 05:57 PMPosted by Jadestem
I also agree with everyone posting here, my first character made was a monk and i have just started playing DH because the fact of the matter is, the monk class is garbage amongst every other class at this time and is continuing to get nerfed. May i also add Ive pumped millions into my monk's gear and have tried numerous builds close to 700 resist all, 30k+ health and over 40k damage at 1.8 a sec with buffs pumping out almost 70k for 5 seconds-ish, still getting one hit, never mind elites its almost ridiculous trying to take any elites past act 1.

I do think the monk needs a couple of adjustments to be sure (OFFENSIVE PASSIVES!!) but I don't understand posts like these. My monk has very similar stats: 680 resist all, 27k health, 42k damage (almost 49k with blazing wrath), and a 2.03 attack speed...and I clear the game with relative ease. I do die occaisionally, but not enough to make Act 3/4 or Whimsy a problem, and I am certainly not a great player.

agree with jadestem. although i play hardcore and my hp is at 60k with 23kdps 800resists unbuffed. however, i wouldnt say act 3 is easy
Bump for protest,The monk is too rubbish, do not play,I will AFK.
Just an Idea, Going along with the Monk theme.. and since I have a Level 60 Monk (21 Paragon) and I see Demon Hunters not only run faster but do way more damage that I do.. I was thinking maybe a new Rune "Call to the Heavens" or "Brothers of One" that does a massive amount of damage (lets start at 2000x weapon damage or if dual wielding, combined weapon damage x5) and appears as swirling Monk Ghosts. The Cooldown time could be 90 seconds or so. 7 sided Strike is OK.. but it just does not have the massive damage that I see alot of other char. classes having. I have seen that "Trail of Cinders" will be nerfed in damage, but stacked so you can still create massive damage. While Trail of Cinders has no real cooldown, 7 sided strike has a cool down of 60-90 seconds but doesnt have near the damage that Trail of Cinders has.
This is just an Idea for making the Monk a more Formidable Foe against those really tuff Monsters.
I already gave up on my monk. Obviously , they don't know anything about monks.
Another new 1.05 patch note out..... no monk buff again. Guess they were serious when they say they like how weak monk is.
A way to fix STI and OWE being mandatory: let us use two mantras, just like barbs can use two shouts. Make a new rune for MoE that gives us 24% DR and 48% on activation. Only one ("primary") applies to groups, to make it balanced in group play, and only one 3s activation effect at a time.

Bam. Suddenly, STI and OWE are not mandatory and it brings an element of strategy into gameplay - will you activate the DR mantra to survive a bit longer, or will you activate MoC;OA to finish the mob more quickly?

Does not solve the lack of worthwhile passive, but that's a separate problem.
Lol, what a joke. Glad I sold off all my monks gear (was about 130k dps unbuffed) before this patch hit and rerolled a barb.

Way to spit in the face of your player base Blizzard. Bravo.
monk armor from dex nerf + sorc follow armor bonus nerf = Ouch for monks and everyone else that uses sorc follower. :(

I can understand nerfing them but not so drastically.
Edited by Croy#1972 on 10/4/2012 6:27 PM PDT
I think Monks by large FEEL like they are broken, when you compare to other characters.
I personally don't feel that my Monk is broken, I do feel that the options on 'useful' kills is extremely limited.
People here think sinking heaps of gold into items will make your monk good, but really it's more about focusing on stats, taking the time to find the right items(AH or w/e) and not be put off by experimenting builds and specific stats stacking. In comparison to the other characters Monks take time to get everything right - atleast that's how I experienced it and so even once you hit 60 and buy a buttload of 'cool' gear it's not guarantied your Monk is going to kickass, which is more likely to happen with the other classes.
I've seen Monks in game who have sunk more gold into their weapons than my entire set up, who pump out half my dps and die twice as much...
Not counting the gems I've sunk less than 100m into my gear (i'm not rich at all) and I do 67k dps, 838 all res, 1450 life /p minute, 1.85 AS and a 51.5% unbuffed dodge rate and I die maybe twice per 10-15 elits (once every heart of sin run).

I am however not too chuffed about my defence being halved come the new patch, I'm saving any complaints until I've tried it out but I was kind of hoping some buffs or re-workings of some more skills to beef up the appealing skills count so we can have a wider choice of effective skills. Also, the cost of some of the spirit spenders, Monks need a constant replenishing of Spirit like the rest of the characters, Monks hit a massive brick wall there.
It sucks being in a game with a wizard or DH or maybe now even a Witch Doctor doing 150-200k dps, melting away the enemies before you can get a touch on them, you end up just running around like a chump with no spirit unable to cast any of your moves..this reliance on a source that's dependent on hitting monsters cripples the class.
when you're in game like that the only cool thing s that you don't get one shotted by Blazing Ghouls, but then you realise you're just acting as a res-monkey, securing the area and resurrecting the fallen.
DONT WORRY guys blizzzard's idea of creating diversity is to nerf MONK skills slap us in the face and GO THERE u go now u have to use those other !@#$tty skills u never tried before. >_> WOOT!

Blizzard Creating Diversity Since 1972.
Edited by LilMonk#1535 on 10/4/2012 6:37 PM PDT

Like iv posted in a few threads

My wizard is nearly indestructible in 1.04 and 1.05PTR

this game is NOT diablo 2 Its a fairly new game still and will get patched numerous more times to try and compensate for all these people complaining about a class they obviously haven't PLAYED enough to learn..

Honest truth

Monks Suck- Slow useless Just basically fun to play WHICH IS WHAT BLUE WAS SAYING they are not a "farming" Char they are a lets go run over here and punch this 10000000 times till it dies.

Barb - Over powered Boring miss too many drops face rolling a3. Stripped barb shortly after 1.04

Witchdoctor- Cant really speak for but all the WD friends iv played with are Over powered and just kinda run around using bears and summons

DH- Fun Overpowered 1 hit wonders.. speaking from both ends.. 1 hit monsters/get 1 hit by monsters

Wizard is the Easiest class to Farm/Level/Play/Gear and honestly the new patch CUTS 5 mins from my a3 farming rout lol too easy... making a3 ML5 runs take 15-20 mins...

So people need to play and gear all classes before complaining that THEIR build on THEIR class has a problem.. iv played everything except WD and honestly people need to learn how to adapt to the changes not complain about them.. Go play a little more and learn something new rather then following the builds that 500000 other people use

Yes my "archon" wizard is another popular build, but people dont Gear/Skill them properly

Notice in patch notes how when they first released 1.05 notes they said that like 70 % of wizards are using prismatic...THAT'S why it got nerfed Its not needed i haven't used it since I got the game a month and a half ago..

Yes this is a RANT ISO 1.05 RELEASED enough listening to people complain about their crappy builds getting nerfed... LEARN NEW SKILLS AND MOVE ON. OR

Do community a favor
Quit

And you know how to gear archon properly? I'm not sure how you don't eat dirt on every single white trash mob harder than skeletons at that whopping 80k DPS on MP6+.

Stop telling people to be creative when you are using the most unimaginative archon build ever.

ON TOPIC: I suggest monks all re-roll. I'm pretty sure this post proves that Blizzard doesn't give a damn about the sorry state of your class. Or wizards for that matter- two useless blue posts in a row!

Actually.. i change my gear and skills every day multiple times a day.. IF i leave my skills / gear the same IT WILL GET NERFED

sry but 181 k Dps with 1300 LOH 3.0 % steal 30 ias 440 CD and 52 % CC leave that on profile and builds getting nerfed.. i tested on PTR and it worked amazing so yes BE CREATIVE the point of me saying that was I DONT LEAVE SAME STATS ON be creative try something new.. all 3 of my wiz builds EZ'D PTR and 1.04
Deetz,
Rather than Bashing Blizzard, Maybe offering some constructive Ideas would help.
Diablo3 IS after all a new game and with any new game, it takes a while to tweek it and work out bugs & Stat adjustments so that all Players and Character Classes are equal.
I played D2 for years and when I came to D3 I was amazed at the difference.
2 things I would love to see changed in D3 are,

Character Customizing--- A character build more specialized for each Player. This could be thru stackable runes or a more abundant selection of runes available or a Pyramid of each rune offering different bonuses for that rune.

Merc. Builds. -- In D2, You could equip Mercs with Armor and helms and an array of weapons. D3 its cut to rings, amulet and a weapon. I would love to see the ability to equip my Merc with good armor, Helm and Weapon, especially in Inferno where a Merc. can be a Lifesaver.
Heres to hoping that Blizzard listens to the Players !!
We feel that monks are in a decent place at the moment, and are a solid class in terms of power, but there are some things that we would like to address with the class. Namely: we would like to delve deeper into fulfilling the fantasy of what it means to be a monk.

Currently, monks spend a lot of their time applying an assortment of DPS buffs through the use of utility and survivability buttons. The bulk of monk damage comes from very passive gameplay, like healing yourself to get a damage buff, or applying Sweeping Winds and not looking at it again. We want to give players who enjoy the fantasy of being a blur of fists and feet a more active playstyle, and we’d love to play up some other fun mechanics as well.

For example, one possibility we’re considering is changing one of Dashing Strike’s runes to allow players to travel further with the skill so that it can serve as a mobility tool, but at the cost of imposing a cooldown. Another possibility we’re exploring is making Lashing Tail Kick feel more compelling by moving the knockback component to a rune, or changing a rune to remove the knockback and instead increase the damage more meaningfully. These types of changes are not minor tweaks, however. We want to make sure we take some time to make meaningful changes that improve the overall play experience for these sacred warriors.

Officially quitting monk forever.
lol vaeflare just commented on a post asking for 1.05 right now and locking it cause it was in caps but he can't comment on the general reactions of the people in this thread....pitiful
I'm going to repost this gem I found in the "Current Monk Information" sticky at the top of the Monk forum..

Passives (Subject to change)

Exalted Soul: (Requires Level 10) - Increases maximum Spirit by 20%.

Frenzied Attack: (Requires Level 13) - When wielding two weapons, the Monk has 20%
increased critical strike chance and 30% increased critical strike damage.

Aggression: (Requires Level 15) - Increases attack by 20%.

Superior Skill: (Requires Level 15) - Increases precision by 20%.

Expert Defense: (Requires Level 17) - Increases defense by 20%.

Resonance: (Requires Level 19) - Increases the duration of auras by 120 seconds.

Untouchable: (Requires Level 19) - After dealing a critical strike, increases dodge chance by 10% for 10 seconds.

Counterattack: (Requires Level 20) - When the Monk dodges an attack, the next skill has its Spirit cost reduced by 40%.

Weak Spot: (Requires Level 20) - Increases critical strike damage by 100%.

Strength in Adversity: (Requires Level 23) - Healing effects are improved by 50% if the Monk is under 35% HP.

Near Death Experience: (Requires Level 25) - When the Monk receives a fatal blow, the Monk gains 30% HP and 30% Spirit.

Flawless Technique: (Requires Level 28) - Skills that generate Spirit do 20% more damage.

Strength of Spirit: (Requires Level 30) - Skills that require Spirit do 30% more damage.

Notice that only 2(!!) of these passives made it into final release,yet are still posted? Unbelieveable... yeah "subject to change",just like every successful build so far...If they'd actually put these into the game,we might not be complaining so much,we'd have more than 3-4 passives worth using.. Note however that it's still only 13 passives,every other class has more,yet we're "fine"..
Deetz,
Rather than Bashing Blizzard, Maybe offering some constructive Ideas would help.

These forums have been plastered with suggestions from so many different people. Suggestions on how to adjust monk skills and to not make them OP. Suggestions to allow for some better passives because currently the majority of them are trash.

Why am I going to waste any more of my time when they won't listen? They said that they feel the monk is fine where it is, maybe adjust some skills that next to nobody uses...Why?

I think I'd rather ride the coat tails of their poster-boy the barb and just have fun. Monk is dead, if you go to the monk forums you'll see quite a few 100k + dps monks quitting and selling all of their stuff. I've logged a ton of time into my monk and yet I would rather just play another class which is more balanced and more fun. This game doesn't revolve around PVP (yet) nor around epic bosses. It's all one big loot-grind. Why do they nerf classes and abilities when it just drives their customers away? Either they don't care or there is more money to be made from the RMAH if everyone just rolls one class so that they can bump the prices huge for barb-based gear.

This is a joke and if anyone says differently they are trying to sell you something on the RMAH...
Okay, this may blow some minds of people out there but I don't want to put in the effort to reroll. Over 240 hours into this character just for him to become a paper weight? This I am not okay with. But onto the ails of the current monk.

Spirit regen is such a joke at the moment. Quickening on fists of thunder is the only way to regen any spirit at all. No inherent regen and no decent generation either. And instead of creating useful set bonuses we get .33 Spirit per second. Oh yeah, needing to sit around for 7 minutes to fully regen spirit is a nice set bonus. Is this registering at all?

Next is the lack of decent spirit spenders. DPS per spirit output is BAAAAAD. 7 sided strike is the best one I can find and that is pathetic.

Defense. Monks only high point is OWE. Can't stack strength for armor. No, we get to stack dex for an insane amount of diminishing returns. Even worse, skills that are supposed to give 15% dodge are giving only around 8-9% from the aforementioned diminishing returns.

The monk is a melee class. There is no build that gives the monk the ability to do anything unless they are 2 inches from an enemy. Therefore, affixes and just pure bruiser of enemies result in the monk taking significantly more damage than another class (this of course excludes tanks of any class. WW barbs, you just don't understand our woes).

Damage and defense is a true tradeoff on a monk. Mantras. You have the choice of a dodge mantra or damage mantra. Can't have both. Yet without the damage mantra, frankly the damage is poop.

Passives are pretty bad. I have 3 defensive passives because there is nothing else.

Last is how blizzard conducts themselves. Noone is asking for the perfect answer. People just want to feel like they are being heard. Even just an obligatory "we are compiling a list of the ideas put forward by the community" would mean alot. Even posting some ideas and letting people point out what they want addressed first rather than the "perceived needs of the monk." And that blue post by the way was depressing. Hot damn, screw the fantasy. I want a character that is not substantially weaker than every other class.

And this is a question I have. For being one of the largest companies in the gaming industry, what takes so long for everything? Apparently it took 5 days to make about 6 more changes to the current 1.05 test patch. I guess there is no incentive for expedience when the money just rolls in from the RMAH. I think this video has more truth to it than I originally gave it credence

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o_h6AEAlFIY
Just quit guys.

Your presence props up class diversity that doesn't exist
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]