Diablo® III

Request for response on state of Monks..

(Locked)

I'm super satisfied with my monk. I cannot wait for 105 :D. They're fixing the 'barb' issues so... no one cares if your monk is terrible. Fix it or move on.
10/04/2012 07:01 PMPosted by Metal
I'm super satisfied with my monk. I cannot wait for 105 :D. They're fixing the 'barb' issues so... no one cares if your monk is terrible. Fix it or move on.

if your satisfied with being mediocre then i completely understand your position on monks.

monk is the only char i wont gear.
lol inspect me... I'M FAR FROM MEDIOCRE.
We feel that monks are in a decent place at the moment, and are a solid class in terms of power, but there are some things that we would like to address with the class. Namely: we would like to delve deeper into fulfilling the fantasy of what it means to be a monk.

Currently, monks spend a lot of their time applying an assortment of DPS buffs through the use of utility and survivability buttons. The bulk of monk damage comes from very passive gameplay, like healing yourself to get a damage buff, or applying Sweeping Winds and not looking at it again. We want to give players who enjoy the fantasy of being a blur of fists and feet a more active playstyle, and we’d love to play up some other fun mechanics as well.

For example, one possibility we’re considering is changing one of Dashing Strike’s runes to allow players to travel further with the skill so that it can serve as a mobility tool, but at the cost of imposing a cooldown. Another possibility we’re exploring is making Lashing Tail Kick feel more compelling by moving the knockback component to a rune, or changing a rune to remove the knockback and instead increase the damage more meaningfully. These types of changes are not minor tweaks, however. We want to make sure we take some time to make meaningful changes that improve the overall play experience for these sacred warriors.

While I knew it would be something like that it was unexected to see, to read such statement. Hoped for 1.0.5. Ha! I feel like Blizz put paw at my shoulder and say: "Run and never come back!" :)
Deetz, I do agree that other classes were "favored" in the release of D3. If Blizzard would have given the same attention to the Monk as they did the Barb. Im pretty sure that the Monk would be the favored Char. of D3.
Davormen offered up some Ideas that would make the Monk Class more fun also.
As far as a 100k dps Monk, YOU ARE A GOD !!! My Lowly level 60 monk does 30k dps but I built my char. with resists mostly for the sole reason that MONKS ARE SLOW. and I dont find Godly items that I can sell on AH.
One thing I did see is that Blizzard will be adding more Monk Bonuses to some items.
That in itself could be a Godsend... especially if such items as Daggers, Boots, Gloves, etc. have bonuses for Monks.
Funny thing that you mention the "Poster-Boy" because I never see Belts that are "Monk Only" yet I found 2 Leg. Belts that are "Barb Only"
I agree that you bring up a good question there, "Why is the Barbarian favored?"
Blizzard, Maybe you could explain to your Player Base why Barbarians get "Barbarian Only" Belts while no other class does.
10/04/2012 07:13 PMPosted by Kiiath
Maybe you could explain to your Player Base why Barbarians get "Barbarian Only" Belts while no other class does.
It's the same reason you get a Monk only spirit stone I would assume.
We feel that monks are in a decent place at the moment, and are a solid class in terms of power, but there are some things that we would like to address with the class. Namely: we would like to delve deeper into fulfilling the fantasy of what it means to be a monk.

Currently, monks spend a lot of their time applying an assortment of DPS buffs through the use of utility and survivability buttons. The bulk of monk damage comes from very passive gameplay, like healing yourself to get a damage buff, or applying Sweeping Winds and not looking at it again. We want to give players who enjoy the fantasy of being a blur of fists and feet a more active playstyle, and we’d love to play up some other fun mechanics as well.

For example, one possibility we’re considering is changing one of Dashing Strike’s runes to allow players to travel further with the skill so that it can serve as a mobility tool, but at the cost of imposing a cooldown. Another possibility we’re exploring is making Lashing Tail Kick feel more compelling by moving the knockback component to a rune, or changing a rune to remove the knockback and instead increase the damage more meaningfully. These types of changes are not minor tweaks, however. We want to make sure we take some time to make meaningful changes that improve the overall play experience for these sacred warriors.

I'm going to stick with my monk, as I've done so far...but I fail to see the benefit of these two buffs. Even with the most recent tweaks to the monk class...I still use my defensive skills that I used before 1.04. It's just way more profitable. I appreciate the effort you all are putting into these patches, but I'm just not seeing how this monk-buff would prove that interesting.
Community Manager
While there are currently solid build options for monks both in 1.0.4 and 1.0.5, and while top-tiered monks using very specific builds can achieve respectable damage, the class isn’t yet where we want it to be. We’re definitely aware of your concerns, and we agree that additional improvements should be made, especially with regards to play style options, build diversity, and the performance and budget of monk resources. We feel that the monk has the most potential for improvement, and we have plans to make more changes to the monk after 1.0.5. The sort of changes we’d like to make are not simple number tweaks, though.

Ultimately, we want to make monks more engaging to play and really immerse players in what it would feel like to be a fast-punching martial arts master. We have a number of ideas on how to accomplish that for the future, and we want to provide improved passives, particularly passives that can be used for a more offensively-minded monk. I also mentioned two other possible changes we’re considering in my previous post, but those certainly aren’t the only changes we’re looking into. They address another area we feel could use improvement, and that’s giving players some additional, more active play style options.

We have more improvements planned and they’re still only in the discussion phase, so we’re not really in a place right now to talk about them in much detail, but we’re actively working towards solutions to address many key concerns.
Do people want every class to play the same? Why even have class's. Monks should be poised thoughtfull and more defensive then a savage barbarian. Not everyone should do as much damage as a mage but he/she should never be as defensive as a barb or monk. Please quit expecting every class do be able to do what another can. There are differant class's for a reason. Quit expecting blizzard to fix a game that was launched before it was completed. If anything can't we ask that it is left alone. I would prefer that actually.
10/04/2012 07:06 PMPosted by Metal
lol inspect me... I'M FAR FROM MEDIOCRE.

Exactly, you have godly gear and only dish out a very pedestrian 120k dps. The amount of gold you've invested in your gear on any other classes would be 180k dps+
Actually they have said all along that they want the classes to have similar playstyle. "There is no tank in diablo 3 etc. has been said b4". great post from blue about future outlook of monk
10/04/2012 07:01 PMPosted by Metal
Hey look, a Monk using the same build as everyone else that claims Monks are "fine". Oookay... I think your build and gear just proves the points made in this thread.

While there are currently solid build options for monks both in 1.0.4 and 1.0.5, and while top-tiered monks using very specific builds can achieve respectable damage, the class isn’t yet where we want it to be.
Sorry Vael, but this couldn't be further from the truth. There is ONE build option for Monks in 1.04, and this will continue into 1.05 because there's not been any decent mechanic changes.

10/04/2012 07:21 PMPosted by Vaeflare
We feel that the monk has the most potential for improvement
This is code for Monks are at the bottom. Barbs don't have much potential for improvement because they're already at the top!

10/04/2012 07:21 PMPosted by Vaeflare
We have more improvements planned and they’re still only in the discussion phase, so we’re not really in a place right now to talk about them in much detail, but we’re actively working towards solutions to address many key concerns.
Since 1.01, there's been NO COMMUNICATION from Blizzard about the runes that were changed except "slated for a future patch". You want to say you're "actively working"? Well, I want to say, I'm shelving my Monk until Blizzard gets it together. Monks aren't fine, and 1.05 was a perfect opportunity to address it. Instead, you've addressed Wizards and Barbarians and Demon Hunters.
Thanks for the update, Vaeflare.
I was hoping that the lack of monk changes meant greater things were planned.

Please make the class more active.
While there are currently solid build options for monks both in 1.0.4 and 1.0.5, and while top-tiered monks using very specific builds can achieve respectable damage, the class isn’t yet where we want it to be. We’re definitely aware of your concerns, and we agree that additional improvements should be made, especially with regards to play style options, build diversity, and the performance and budget of monk resources. We feel that the monk has the most potential for improvement, and we have plans to make more changes to the monk after 1.0.5. The sort of changes we’d like to make are not simple number tweaks, though.

Ultimately, we want to make monks more engaging to play and really immerse players in what it would feel like to be a fast-punching martial arts master. We have a number of ideas on how to accomplish that for the future, and we want to provide improved passives, particularly passives that can be used for a more offensively-minded monk. I also mentioned two other possible changes we’re considering in[url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6794319883#7"] my previous post[/url], but those certainly aren’t the only changes we’re looking into. They address another area we feel could use improvement, and that’s giving players some additional, more active play style options.

Sure thing. Remember to give us a shout when you're done with all those discussions, considerations and experimentations, so I can come back and try the game again. 1.0.5 will have to do without me and my Monk.
Honestly, people should utterly rage at this thread Vael has put together. These responses are pathetic. Hints at plans or discussions of plans to address Monk concerns should have been in the works since 1.03 or prior. Monks virtually haven't changed since then, and have complained about the very same things time and time again.

I said it before - I can't see any dev or CM playing a Monk in Inferno and claiming that they work or have multiple builds. One build utilizing Sweeping Wind and a bunch of defensive cooldowns / passive buffs is all that works. 1.05 will just highlight this even more.
Before buffing offensive skills, dont you realize that monk's defenses is so weak compared to barb??
Wiz : arcane regeneration
WD : mana regeneration (plus all equipement boost)
DH : hatered auto regen (plus all equipement boost) and can REGEN BY SHOOTING BLANK
Barb : Fury is going down, but goes up when getting hit
Monk : Spirit going up only when hitting hard target (plus equipement boost but is the lowest resource regen)
ChaosLeech, The Barb. also has a Barb ONLY helm. But in all, I see more Barb. Only items than I do any other class.
I have to agree with Deetz that the Barb. class got way too much attention and power while the rest of us are left waiting to be "restructured"
Hec, how bout they cut the Whirlwind damage in half ?
I just feel that all Char. Classes should be equal and none should be favored.
I think that's perfectly exceptable for a single player on game. However 4 players soloing near each other just seems silly.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]