Diablo® III

Request for response on state of Monks..

(Locked)

please learn to read.. they have stated many times that they feel that OWE is overpowered but they will not touch it for now cos it will affect 99% of monks too massivley. Trust me.. they will not nerf OWE before monks get a decent buff up.
You keep thinking that..... I'm just repeating what they said... It is something that is getting nerfed...I am aware but please don't speculate on what could happen when i "read" what was said....
10/04/2012 07:21 PMPosted by Vaeflare
We feel that the monk has the most potential for improvement

The implications for this sentence are amazing to me. Thank you for hearing our concerns Blizz, and we expect you to deliver on this potential.
On another note - who gave barbs all the skills monks should have had? +100% attack speed, +60% movement speed, +77% crit chance without a single piece of +CC gear (!!!) - this sounds like a Dex class (Monk) much more than a Str class. Wth?
Edited by davormen#1790 on 10/5/2012 7:00 AM PDT
10/05/2012 06:11 AMPosted by manaja
I doubt that, is mp5 suppose to be like act3 now is?

more like MP2
hmm ok because we have similar monks, mp5 is way way harder for me...
I still think that monks whine too much.

The reality is that monks are much more playable than wizards unless you give an are a CM/WW wizard. Then the play is so annoying and button crunching.

I agree that monks are limited- but don't act like its only monks. My monk has far more survivability that my wizard does.

Both classes need re-working of passives first and foremost to add more offensive options like barbs. Secondly both need reworkign to provide different builds.

Then when those 2 things are done- monks will rock and wizards will still need help on survival.
just saying that a monk has more survivability than a wiz shows you dun belong here..
10/05/2012 07:16 AMPosted by manaja
just saying that a monk has more survivability than a wiz shows you dun belong here..

but here is the deal can i ask you what is monk's role in party?
buff? no barbs make it way better.
dps? wizard and demon hunters are best.
tank? barbs are better

also game is not about survival. it's hack n slash. items dont drop when you are tank and every class can get to high dps with reasonable budget. not like monk.
Wait so they are getting changed?! I Thought you concluded that:

"Monks were in a decent place right now"
10/04/2012 07:06 PMPosted by Metal
lol inspect me... I'M FAR FROM MEDIOCRE.

Sorry Metal.. your mediocre, very avg resist.. very low loh, no life steal. You won't be farming MP 6+ very well, reflect damage will wreck you same as me.

You have a very good 1.04 build though... ofcourse defense is not really needed when you get to 80k dps because fights don't last long enough.
"We feel that monks are in a decent place at the moment"

what a !@#$ing joke. Why don't you admit the class is weak and needs lots of work. To imply a tweak here and a tweak there will fix the class is misleading and just bloody dishonest.

Let me guess, you feel WD"s are also in a decent place, am I right?
"just saying that a monk has more survivability than a wiz shows you dun belong here.."

I play primarily a wizard and the above statement is true (even with insane nerfs to proc rates for wizards in 1.0.5), if you include teleport, and the ability to slow things down when you run away. If you are talking about CM builds with perm frost nova lock that is about to end for all but the 1% with 2 billion gold gear with the proc rate changes. All you need to do is watch video's of the top 1% for monks, wizards, DHs, and barbs to understand that the game is fine for all of them. Barb is by far the easiest, followed by Wizards, Monks, and DH. Unfortunately the game seems to be currently close to balanced for the 1% but screws everyone else who doesn't play a Barb. Even though I haven't had the game long I'm slowing switching over to a Barb from my mage for patch 1.0.5 and have no doubt that I'll be able to gear at 60 in no time at a much lower cost and destroy the clear rates I have with my Wizard in under 4 weeks.

Please stop assuming that Wizards that can clear MP 7-10 with the current PTR setup are common or as easy to set up as Barbs. They are just as gimped as Monks and the gear requirements are just as high.
I still think that monks whine too much.

The reality is that monks are much more playable than wizards unless you give an are a CM/WW wizard. Then the play is so annoying and button crunching.

I agree that monks are limited- but don't act like its only monks. My monk has far more survivability that my wizard does.

Both classes need re-working of passives first and foremost to add more offensive options like barbs. Secondly both need reworkign to provide different builds.

Then when those 2 things are done- monks will rock and wizards will still need help on survival.

While I agree that the kiting wizard spec is the weakest in the game, you lost all sympathy with that opening comment.
10/05/2012 07:32 AMPosted by Rafiki
lol inspect me... I'M FAR FROM MEDIOCRE.

Sorry Metal.. your mediocre, very avg resist.. very low loh, no life steal. You won't be farming MP 6+ very well, reflect damage will wreck you same as me.

You have a very good 1.04 build though... ofcourse defense is not really needed when you get to 80k dps because fights don't last long enough.

And that is exactly the problem. You both have at least 500M in gear, and you won't be able to do MP6+ very well, if at all. That's ridiculous.
I have been playing a monk for a while and I think there is a few things people don't know about the monk. For example, just the other day I was excited to have found out (by accident) that guiding light works with moh and I told all the monks on my friends list about it and they are like... what? No one uses that passive and what if it works with moh.

Well, the thing is, it gives 16% extra dps to everyone including yourself in the party, so I can run a defensive mantra and it works almost like moc just by changing one passive and it is almost a permanent buff providing I can hit my mantra every 15 seconds.

For those of you say that a monk doesn't have good dps, well there are so many skills you can use to buff your dps, all your defensive skills can increase your dps (except for serenity). You have skills which can do massive burst dps, e.g. wave of light and sss, for those who think wave of light is useless. Try it out and see how it goes, my favourite is empowered light or blinding light (which works so well with critical). Some mouse 1 skills, for example deadly reach foresight gives great dps buff and lasts for a long time.

Yes, I do agree that the monk needs some work, especially on some of the passives we get, they have changed both pacifism and beacon of ytar in 1.05 which is a step to the right direction (although I don't entirely agree with the nerf on STI). Think about this, four monks all having beacon of ytar using extra length serenity can rotate immunity forever in 1.05 (provided they time it right), I doubt any other class can do that.

I think some skills do need to be looked at and I also think there should be more information on the skills which the monk has, right now there is a lot of hidden stuff which makes it difficult for us to learn.
10/04/2012 07:22 PMPosted by Nickoli
Do people want every class to play the same? Why even have class's. Monks should be poised thoughtfull and more defensive then a savage barbarian. Not everyone should do as much damage as a mage but he/she should never be as defensive as a barb or monk. Please quit expecting every class do be able to do what another can. There are differant class's for a reason. Quit expecting blizzard to fix a game that was launched before it was completed. If anything can't we ask that it is left alone. I would prefer that actually.

oh i get it!!. in your words. a monk should Tank! and hit with weak strikes!..
have you ever studied up shaolin monks? while being able to defend with agile movements, and tricks of leverage etc, they also can do serious (DAMAGE)if they choose to.
Since Blizzard seems to be reading this thread, I have a suggestion to improve the Monk that hasn't been previously suggested as far as I can tell.

I have a 125k dps unbuffed Monk and I've been experimenting with Combination Strike for a while and find it works best when used with Fists of Thunder (Thunderclap) as a primary attack, and Way of the Hundred Fists (Blazing Fists) as a secondary attack. With a high crit chance, buffing to 3 stacks of Blazing Fists for 15% attack speed and 15% movement speed bonuses takes one volley of WotHF, then I spam FoT to get the benefit of Combination Strike's 16% damage bonus as well. I keep Blazing Fists' buffs up by throwing in another WotHF hit every 4-5 seconds. While I find this is effective, I feel it can be greatly improved to benefit a variety of Monks.

Firstly, there should be more secondary attacks that offer similar style of bonuses to Blazing Fists. For example, taking a presently useless rune, Crippling Wave's Tsunami rune could be changed to buff Critical Hit Chance and Critical Hit Damage by a percentage with each hit. Other secondary attacks could have other buffs, such as a Chance to Stun or Immobilize stacking with each critical hit. Implementing a variety of buffs to secondary attacks that trigger on critical hits would make Combination Strike massively more useful while improving the feeling of what the Monk class is supposed to be.

Secondly, to fix Combination Strike further still, the duration of each of the secondary attack skill runes I have mentioned should be increased from 5 seconds to 10 seconds when used in a "combination attack" with Combination Strike. Preferably each critical hit would give a 8 or 10% bonus to the respective buff, instead of the current 5% bonus offered by Blazing Fists.

Finally, for One With Everything, I would suggest removing it as a Passive Skill, but adding a quest for Level 60 players to undertake to obtain a permanent One With Everything skill, perhaps similar to the Staff of Herding quest. The skill is far too mandatory to be outright deleted, but is also too mandatory to be taking up a Passive Skill slot.

Other improvements to the Monk class should also be considered but I feel the above would make a big difference for many Monks while continuing to differentiate Monk from other classes.
Edited by Brandson#1312 on 10/5/2012 7:55 AM PDT

but here is the deal can i ask you what is monk's role in party?
buff? no barbs make it way better.
dps? wizard and demon hunters are best.
tank? barbs are better

also game is not about survival. it's hack n slash. items dont drop when you are tank and every class can get to high dps with reasonable budget. not like monk.

u complaining?? with ur gear u should faceroll act3 infeno.. if you are not.. we you are doing it wrong.
Learn a bit about your class before you start to talk..

now another thing..when you compare classes.. do you compare a 60k DPS monk to a 200k DPS DH/Wiz or a 120k DPS barb?? get realm man..
I run act3 with a barb friend.. he has got 35k more DPS than me, 15k more HP than me and more armor, res aswell.. Yet i kill faster and my survivability is just as good.. Oh and he is not a WW barb..
monk low DPS? maybe.. but we got skills to compensate that.. with all the buffs i go from 65k DPS to 130k DPS.. just for a few sec.. but it is enough time to cast SW (Cyclone). Now if you fight extra healt+horde.. and summon 15 cyclones every few seconds.. that is 15x15%=225% extra dmg/second + 45% dmg from SW.. and that means u pretty much do aoe dmg of 270% + 70% (FoT, 2 AS) meaning you deal 340% wepon dmg as aoe/sec.. now at 130k DPS.. i think that is pretty impressive.. no?
Cos our dps dun seem high has nothing to do with how much dmg we can dish out...
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]