Diablo® III

Request for response on state of Monks..

(Locked)

We feel that monks are in a decent place at the moment, and are a solid class in terms of power, but there are some things that we would like to address with the class. Namely: we would like to delve deeper into fulfilling the fantasy of what it means to be a monk.

Currently, monks spend a lot of their time applying an assortment of DPS buffs through the use of utility and survivability buttons. The bulk of monk damage comes from very passive gameplay, like healing yourself to get a damage buff, or applying Sweeping Winds and not looking at it again. We want to give players who enjoy the fantasy of being a blur of fists and feet a more active playstyle, and we’d love to play up some other fun mechanics as well.

For example, one possibility we’re considering is changing one of Dashing Strike’s runes to allow players to travel further with the skill so that it can serve as a mobility tool, but at the cost of imposing a cooldown. Another possibility we’re exploring is making Lashing Tail Kick feel more compelling by moving the knockback component to a rune, or changing a rune to remove the knockback and instead increase the damage more meaningfully. These types of changes are not minor tweaks, however. We want to make sure we take some time to make meaningful changes that improve the overall play experience for these sacred warriors.

So you pick to skills no one uses after they hit level 20, maybe 30, after first starting a monk because other skills are more useful.
Cons:

1. On higher monster power things kill you in a few strikes, so if you do not kill them quick you are dead. Lashing tailkick, currently who uses it after they have hit level 30? So by moving the knockback to a rune only allows for it to be used in group situations, but then your stuck in the middle of 20 mobs and die.

2. Dashing strike: Say you make it a 40 yard dash. It is still not a viable skill because you get in one strike and then you are dead because you are using dashing strike instead of skill which can help you survive or do more damage.
I'm saying this place my gear on any other class... With the same stats as needed and see hoe godly they are is all I'm saying how is this fair I am way off off.... I understand I don't want to be the same but if I am a healer give me some real healing... If I fast give me extra ms... If I'm a fast attacker give me more ias.... We are not detinitive as a class.... Just limbo middle of the road... Give me a a role in the game
10/05/2012 07:50 AMPosted by Brandson
I've been experimenting with Combination Strike for a while

I also tried combination strike in one of my builds, it is quite nice, the only thing is that it should last a bit longer that is all. I like the fact that all u need is one attack from each skill to make it work, although it does mean I have to give up a lot of skill slots to do it.

I use a slightly different skill set, I start off with deadly reach foresight to get a 18% buff, then I run WOHF with blazing fist and I alternate that with crippling wave breaking wave, I have wave of light on my mouse 2, so I can have some burst dps if needed. I use to think combination strike was a useless passive, but after I tried it out, then I figured out it can actually work out well.

As for one with everything, I do like it as a passive, it makes resistance very easy to get and good for buying items off the AH as you no long need to get items with all resistance, but I have tried using just all resist gears and switching to a different passive, it works just as well.
Terible move to make adjustments in all other classes but leave one of then the exact same way with the exact same problems, dont think i need to state how this sounds fron the costumer point of view.

Just dont anouce that you fixed trade scams till you really fix it this time ok?
i must admit that i agree with "the blue". The monks are (still) OK. Those nerfs did not hit me hard enough to complain.

my monk: http://eu.battle.net/d3/en/profile/LuDaRa-2919/hero/12709520

for my monk ,MP5 is just fine, my death rate is the same as in 1.0.4.
I do not care, ATM, about farming speed.

farming MP5 will grant me (after some time) gear to compensate lost armor value from STI. Also i do not use resolve any more and i'm fine with it. Also it will grant me gear to move to higher MP level.

While playing in MP5 for 4 days, i've managed to increase armor by 600 and raise DPS above 55K, keeping same level of resistances.

The danger for monks is comming in form of OwE adjustments. If they nerft it hard, monks are dead. They need to make HUGE compensation in other skills if they touch OwE.
Edited by LuDaRa#2919 on 10/5/2012 8:35 AM PDT
That's mp 5 while other classes will be doing mp 10
@LuDaRa +1

at least another monk post here to state that with the mob dmg nerf in 1.05, the STI nerf is non exictant:)
i want to see a 120-130k DPS DH/WD/Wiz do MP10 effectivly
as in not taking more than 1-2min/elite pack
While there are currently solid build options for monks both in 1.0.4 and 1.0.5, and while top-tiered monks using very specific builds can achieve respectable damage, the class isn’t yet where we want it to be. We’re definitely aware of your concerns, and we agree that additional improvements should be made, especially with regards to play style options, build diversity, and the performance and budget of monk resources. We feel that the monk has the most potential for improvement, and we have plans to make more changes to the monk after 1.0.5. The sort of changes we’d like to make are not simple number tweaks, though.

Why didn't you say that the first time? Then you wouldn't have so much rage pointed at you...
That's it... Not the 120k ones there 250-400k dps other classes I want to see a unbuffed monk do that..
Guys, monk mobility is actually pretty important, its the main reason WW barbs survive.

Its not that barbs mitigate damage so much more, but that they can avoid it while doing dps and regaining hp, this is what monks need. The current play style of spamming FoT is very boring, and it does not allow you to avoid damage in many situations, those that it can (where the knockback effect works basically) makes the encounter very simple.

So I wouldn't lose hope just yet... but IMO even if they don't make the class more viable than just left clicking !@#$, why would you want to play it anyway?
As a monk you have no role in this game... There are healers dps and tank what do we fall under?
but you said other class with your kind of gear (guessing $$$).. they probably get 150-160k DPS.. still no facerolling MP10
Lol put a barb in my gear and see what he does that's stats accordingly...
said the lvl 1 monk

when i read blue post i felt like some1 kick me in the balls and the split into my face

i knew it gonna come so i just finished my barb so i can dualtornado through all the act with no time

at the moment monk is the slowest , less agile class in d3 wait what??? shouldnt it been oposite?

guess thats the blues definition of it

you know you can simply solve 1/3 of monks problem by fixing dodge that it can avoid arcane , poison blaze and other crap + let it generate some spirit like on barbs works simple hit

how come i need to hit 5 times!!!!! with any spirit generator to use the cheapest offencive skill (dashing strike 25 pririt) when on barb i dont even need to hit anything just use one of 4 or 5 skill that generates fury from air , im not even talking about monk costy skills like Wave of Light witch east 50% of spirit (13 hits with spirit generator to make it)

monk is so broken in so many points that is a waste of time to point it here , i just wondering what the hell uve been doing for so many months of beta tests and now throught so many patches u realised
"While there are currently solid build options for monks both in 1.0.4 and 1.0.5, and while top-tiered monks using very specific builds can achieve respectable damage, the class isn’t yet where we want it to be. We’re definitely aware of your concerns, and we agree that additional improvements should be made, especially with regards to play style options, build diversity, and the performance and budget of monk resources. We feel that the monk has the most potential for improvement, and we have plans to make more changes to the monk after 1.0.5. The sort of changes we’d like to make are not simple number tweaks, though.Ultimately, we want to make monks more engaging to play and really immerse players in what it would feel like to be a fast-punching martial arts master. We have a number of ideas on how to accomplish that for the future, and we want to provide improved passives, particularly passives that can be used for a more offensively-minded monk. I also mentioned two other possible changes we’re considering in my previous post, but those certainly aren’t the only changes we’re looking into. They address another area we feel could use improvement, and that’s giving players some additional, more active play style options. We have more improvements planned and they’re still only in the discussion phase, so we’re not really in a place right now to talk about them in much detail, but we’re actively working towards solutions to address many key concerns. "

In a very real, yet sarcastic way ~ will you plz just bring back the Druid, the Assassin or even attack speed?

Thanks.

Edit: The blue guy forgot to mention that if you don't have a level 60 monk you should get one, because the monk is next on the ' make then break ' list.

/calling all exploits
/calling all exploits

... please ruin the game more!
Edited by MANTiC0R3#1342 on 10/5/2012 8:54 AM PDT
I know barbs much leas geared that I am on mp 10 no problem, I can do mp 10 but like I said I have the gear to most don't
like i said.. show me a DH/Wiz/WD i dun talk bout barbs cos the WW build is just too OP atm.. now show me a DH/Wiz/WD who do that??
100k DPS Ghom MP10 under 4m... idk sound OK considering ghom is 1 of the higest HP bosses in game.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XAQYTFUKyBs&feature=related
Edit
Edited by MANTiC0R3#1342 on 10/5/2012 9:51 AM PDT
I'm sure there are wiz who can...some of thest dpsers
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]