Diablo® III

Request for response on state of Monks..

(Locked)

my plan is to actually drop OWE in the next few weeks anyway.. but i run into troble.. i drop Resove.. replace with Fleet Footed
Drop STI.. replace with?? Chose Warriors Patch (DW) for extra dodge..
If i drop OWE.. what shall i pick? Sixth Sense??

So even when monks drop those 3 "mandatory passives" there is only 1 that most would choose or like to choose..
In terms of passives, it's pretty clear at this point that One With Everything is considered a mandatory passive for all monks. While "mandatory" passives aren't great, making any major change would do more harm than good, particularly when a) incoming damage is so high and b) monks need the extra durability in order to survive. Additionally, as a result of this passive, monks are more heavily tied to their current gear, so making changes to One With Everything would have very noticeable negative repercussions to the gear monks have invested in.

One way of making "One With Everything" not a mandatory passive for monks is by making it a built-in trait (like the 30% reduction for barb and monks). That way you can just remove the skill from the game.
I still personally think we should be able to use more then 3 passives.

Maybe have 3 different passive categories for offensive, defensive, and utility.

Then we could choose things to really diversify from one another.

Oh and you could make passive that count as 2 of the 3 groups. That will REALLY make for some serious diversification.

As for resists, if the cap on them was lower people (monks and barbs) could actually wear gear that DOESNT have resists on it. If I only needed 800svall instead of 1600svall (I just picked random numbers) as a monk it would open up a whole different way to play. I could actually put on those haste/crit/crit dam/dex gloves with 0 resists and get a huge dps increase. Same goes for other slots as well.
Edited by Clurg#1606 on 10/5/2012 1:48 PM PDT
In terms of passives, it's pretty clear at this point that One With Everything is considered a mandatory passive for all monks. While "mandatory" passives aren't great, making any major change would do more harm than good, particularly when a) incoming damage is so high and b) monks need the extra durability in order to survive. Additionally, as a result of this passive, monks are more heavily tied to their current gear, so making changes to One With Everything would have very noticeable negative repercussions to the gear monks have invested in.

just fyi OWE is not mandatory for alot of the monks i see run simply cold damage or poison damage resistance because those are cheaper to find then resist all. i know only a few tank monks who will stack elemental resistance on top of res all gear to get super high resistance

taking away OWE would only lead to most monks having to regear as you said. However since alot of monks dont stack all res + ele res OWE is not mandatory it simply provides better gear at a cheaper price and allows monks to use more variations on gear then say a barbarian who is looking mainly for res to all

Do alot of monks use OWE: Yes
Should OWE be nerfed: No
is OWE mandatory: No

the only way OWE is at all over powered is if you choose to buy gear with both res to all and res to 1 type of element. Even then by buying gear with 2 resistances on it you lose something because one affix on your gear is goin to that other resistance

ive seen good monks who stacked cold resistance and no res to all put up massive damage and survive nicely. Just because they used OWE to make cold res = res all does not make it mandatory. I am positive for 2x the price or so that same monk could have found gear that near the same but had res to all on it instead of cold res.
If he had chose to buy res to all (much more expensive) then he would be able to drop OWE and have the same out come

This is like saying sharpshooter is a mandatory skill simply because i dont want to spend extra gold on gear with crit chance
OWE is only mandatory if you choose to not spend money on gear with res to all
many monks choose OWE simply cuz its cost effective
and other monks such as my self like to be unkillable tanks and we stack res to all and ele res to give us huge def bonuses

currently on my monk now without my shoulders on i have 610 res to all from gear i could drop OWE and survive just fine its not mandatory for me because i bought res to all gear, However i wanted my monk to be a tank so i stack poison res on top of it, sacrificing other affix's on gear for poison res only so i can have 1k+ res to all
this was my choice and in no way do i see how OWE is mandatory even on my monk i mean come on 610 res to all without OWE and without my shoulders on that are 80 res to all

So maybe its just me but i dont see how OWE is mandatory .. could you explain your thoughts on why you think OWE is mandatory???

(other then your stats showing that most monks run OWE, That only proves its a preferred skill not mandatory)
10/05/2012 01:21 PMPosted by Incorporated
Personally i dont think your supposed to be able to just walk into the next patch and farm it on mp10 unless your gear is already really good. Ive been farming mp10 so if you really having a hard time on monk just copy my gear and spec but other than that sorry my expereinces are funner and more rewarding so far than all of yours...

sorry just need to call you out on this. my gear is far superior so I know you aren't farming mp10. Don't troll.
10/05/2012 01:21 PMPosted by Incorporated
Personally i dont think your supposed to be able to just walk into the next patch and farm it on mp10 unless your gear is already really good. Ive been farming mp10 so if you really having a hard time on monk just copy my gear and spec but other than that sorry my expereinces are funner and more rewarding so far than all of yours...

LOL what a troll
I think what you mean by "farming mp10" is dying over and over
I have similar armor to yours and way more DPS (not even counting the 25% to lightning skill from WKL), and I die a lot in mp10
DEAR BLZZ

Do you realise tha not only did you nerf STI, but also the enchantress armor buff!??? This combo really has an impact on builds and playstyle.

Please consider giving monks a offensive passive!!!! Or give lifesteal for dualwield, or 2x-r 3x life regen atleast!
10/05/2012 11:53 AMPosted by Lylirra
Tell us kindly the good reason in nerfing the defense passives when 90% of monk's passives

Just so that I know that we're on the same page, have you had the opportunity to read this developer journal, yet? http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/7155884/ (It was written a few weeks ago, so it may have been missed.)

It goes pretty in depth into why we're making changes to defensive skills, and breaks down each change class-by-class.

The logic in that is pretty clear, however in the case of STI, apart from the very top end monks, it's just one more passive that's entirely lackluster for monks. Where it really hits home is that even if a monk is now encouraged to switch out of STI as you're trying to encourage he looks at a long list of other passives that are at best 'i guess i can take that'. If some of the other passives could be made more tempting in the same patch as the nerf to STI it would probably be more easily forgiven. As it stands the ones that you decided to buff, pacifism is still a crutch for someone who's not dodging the CC, beacon of ytar is good on paper but in practice taking 4 seconds off a cooldown doesn't change much for many, and near death experience also falls into the crutch category though at least a more generally useful crutch than pacifism.

One simple change that wouldn't really affect balance:
Guiding Light
Now works when you heal a follower.
Enough will all the stupid people suggesting to make OWE an inherent passive. Do you really believe that Blizzard is going to do that just for Monks? No class has an inherent passive, unless you call the 30% damage reduction for melee users a passive skill.
View profile
Might be a good idea for OWE monks that haven't geared out yet to make their second element physical resist, that way if OWE gets obliterated, their gear still covers the most common damage type in the game.
10/05/2012 01:56 PMPosted by Blackstream
Might be a good idea for OWE monks that haven't geared out yet to make their second element physical resist, that way if OWE gets obliterated, their gear still covers the most common damage type in the game.

Truth be told, you'd want a mix of physical and fire, many of the harder hitting attacks are fire.
[quote="67938091268"]
We don't have any changes planned for OWE right now. That may change, but if it does, we'd still want our approach to be as outlined above.

Please dont. All your attemps to promote build diversity end up in nerfs of skills which leads into another useless skill. I dont play a monk because it is retarded and boring and slow right now but honestly leave this skill alone forever. Or remove it completely. Then every monk has to reconsider what passive to pick instead of having a useless OWE as a "choice" which he wont pick but always reminds him of good ol' times when this skill was mandatory but useful.

besides I dont get why you people tend to change that stuff anyway. Those who write about monks, give feedback and complain about stuff dont mention that OWE is too mandatory. And those who would feel like dont post on the forums, they dont even read them. Basically such a change would be for the casuals who dont even care at all about the ongoing change the game "suffers" from.
So let me see if i understod it. We need a buff on passives and skills but first we should get a nerf on our passives tham when 1.06 come we should get better passives and skills? What should i do at this time just whait for 1.06? Toooo funny ahhahahhah
You can put sprinkles on a turd all you want, but it's still a turd.

I appreciate your effort in trying to make the game better by listening to the community Lilly, but this game is a steaming pile of crap at it's core. Nothing like a real Diablo game.

How many people even still play this game? 10,000 at best?

Later
What will happened if they change OWE? People need to re-gear , and maybe got solution on how to use other passive and skills.. What happened if u guys decide to change it again at 1.06? people need to re-gear again?
So Blizzard knew monk "has room to improve" ever since d3 came out. And every patch, monk gets little to no "love" from the dev team. (Not going to repeat all the faults of monk)

"changes are coming in the near future" is that referring to the expansion?

Also, what's up with monk's set? Lack of effort much?
so.. i finished act3 who run (45min) and i died twice.. which bit less than my run when i do use STI.. so taking from that.. if playing without STI in 1.04 does not hurt you too much.. how on earth does it hurt you in 1.05 when the effect is halved but mob dmg is reduced by excess of 25%????

Tough i must say.. Reflect mobs were a lot harder without STI. but other than that.. i was doing just fine...
10/05/2012 11:13 AMPosted by Lylirra
We don't have any changes planned for OWE right now

basically what this means is, they won't change it until you gear around it, and then they will destroy it so you have to regear, preferably via the RMAH
cuz we dun all have 52% dodge...and 10k armor doesnt mean everything like u wouldnt get hurt...and i died 4 5 times was when i was soloing, where some elites were just tougher than the others, but not like i was getting killed million times...my ok build can still make ghom cry within a minute...so i dun think i hve a problem with that...just a non-professional build that i am using, low dodge and low crit...a tad unhappy, just let me be...
10/05/2012 02:17 PMPosted by RaideN85
What will happened if they change OWE? People need to re-gear , and maybe got solution on how to use other passive and skills.. What happened if u guys decide to change it again at 1.06? people need to re-gear again?

there is no nerf to OWE in 1.05 Learn to read...
I know it is confusing with all the ppl crying about OWE nerf.. it is really funny that it is not comeing yet.. i even doubt it will be modified (not nerfed) in 1.06..

So just chill and learn to use our other "awsome" passives to their fullest potential:)
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]