Diablo® III

Request for response on state of Monks..

(Locked)

Monks: decent place
DHs: decent place
Wizards: decent place
WD: decent place
Barbarians: need buffs
10/03/2012 05:35 PMPosted by Vaeflare
We feel that monks are in a decent place at the moment, and are a solid class in terms of power

Tough as nails: +25% armor
The guardians path: +15% dodge
Dodge is a worthless stat because MOLTEN/arcane/reflect/belial/ghom cannot be dodged. Having a stronger EHP bonus, + thorns just adds insult.

Inspiring presence: +2% life/second regen
Chant of resonance: +1.3% resource/second regen
Honestly... doesn't this look like it needs at quadruple buff? Even animosity is better and is barely used

Nerves of steel: +1 armor per vit
STI: +0.5 armor per dex
This imbalance is not as glaring in softcore but if you consider max-rolled stats or consider hardcore, this is just blatant favouritism. Tough as nails also > STI.

Bloodthirst: +3% lifesteal
Transcendence: +63 LPSS
Did I say BLATANT favouritism? Before the barbs pipe in and say how crappy bloodthirst is... transcendence is half as strong in single target combat...

Ruthless: +16% damage, 100% uptime
Weapons master: +15% damage, 100% uptime
Brawler: +30% damage when surrounded
Beserker rage: +25% damage when max resource

... combination strike: +24% damage, 3sec frenzy stack... if you use 3 signature spells

10/03/2012 05:35 PMPosted by Vaeflare
The bulk of monk damage comes from very passive gameplay, like healing yourself to get a damage buff, or applying Sweeping Winds and not looking at it again.

Monks spend all their active skills on passives because their passives are terrible. Dodge has NO effect on endgame content. Overall every choice is weaker than barbs (especially armor, damage and sustain). Mainstat = DEX is just broken because of the state of dodge having no effect and terrible returns
Edited by papaHav#1428 on 10/3/2012 7:30 PM PDT
We feel that monks are in a decent place at the moment, and are a solid class in terms of power, but there are some things that we would like to address with the class. Namely: we would like to delve deeper into fulfilling the fantasy of what it means to be a monk.

Currently, monks spend a lot of their time applying an assortment of DPS buffs through the use of utility and survivability buttons. The bulk of monk damage comes from very passive gameplay, like healing yourself to get a damage buff, or applying Sweeping Winds and not looking at it again. We want to give players who enjoy the fantasy of being a blur of fists and feet a more active playstyle, and we’d love to play up some other fun mechanics as well.

For example, one possibility we’re considering is changing one of Dashing Strike’s runes to allow players to travel further with the skill so that it can serve as a mobility tool, but at the cost of imposing a cooldown. Another possibility we’re exploring is making Lashing Tail Kick feel more compelling by moving the knockback component to a rune, or changing a rune to remove the knockback and instead increase the damage more meaningfully. These types of changes are not minor tweaks, however. We want to make sure we take some time to make meaningful changes that improve the overall play experience for these sacred warriors.

Sorry what After the first sentance I lost 100 points of IQ.
Here is 1 fix. DONT NERF THE MONK IN THE NEW PATCH. Simple and solved.

Blizzards Genius is really showing here.

I have a feeling that Everyone that works at Blizzard is illiterate and are Purposely choosen for this reason
I just quit my monk because of this. Going with my DH now
This is the most stupid post I've ever seen. Someone said that Monks are too weak and you should buff them, and you say oh yes, we are considering to nerf their best skills and change some useless skills. Excuse me? What are you talking about? Simply put, if you change any of those passive damage skill and sweeping winds and how they work with sweeping wind, I quit. Those are easily the only thing Monks can use now. If you want different build, you should try to buff other skills, not to make their best and only usable skills worse.
ARE YOU KIDDING ME?
Seriously, is this a joke?
Blizzard hasn't read !@#$ all in terms of what the community would like to see happen with the monk.
%^-* YOU BLIZZARD!
10/03/2012 07:02 PMPosted by AvatarDavis
I just quit my monk because of this. Going with my DH now

Same here, lucky that my gear is transferable to my DH.

Adios Monk, it was fun hoping for a buff to bring us up to par with the other characters, only to be crushed flat today
This is the second blizz post today that indicated no one on the design team has any idea what the concept of balance actually means.

The fact that they think Monks are in a good spot, While Barbs even exist and they approve of is just mind boggling...
APRIL FOOLS!!!

Right?

Right?

Huh, it's October? Well !@#$.
Well my fellow Monks.. good bye for now.. i mean for now means until they decided to update our skill set for 1.05.. dashing stike? lashing tailkick? I just wish blue didn't even try to answer this cuz thats the dumbest answer I ever heard so far..
I guess we should be careful what we ask for o_O
These comments just ensure I'll never come back...

Have fun blizzard south. You were the biggest letdown of 2012, I really enjoyed those trailers though, fatalities, scripted events... leaping over stage obstacles... etc.
OP gets five replies in five hours. Blue shows up? Five pages in fifty minutes :)
I'm sorry, but Monks are probably the most boring class in the game. The skills are so dull and you are forced to use 1 build. Monks are so gear reliant and the top tier monks are the only ones allowed for build diversity without it hurting them.
We feel that monks are in a decent place at the moment, and are a solid class in terms of power, but there are some things that we would like to address with the class. Namely: we would like to delve deeper into fulfilling the fantasy of what it means to be a monk.

Currently, monks spend a lot of their time applying an assortment of DPS buffs through the use of utility and survivability buttons. The bulk of monk damage comes from very passive gameplay, like healing yourself to get a damage buff, or applying Sweeping Winds and not looking at it again. We want to give players who enjoy the fantasy of being a blur of fists and feet a more active playstyle, and we’d love to play up some other fun mechanics as well.

For example, one possibility we’re considering is changing one of Dashing Strike’s runes to allow players to travel further with the skill so that it can serve as a mobility tool, but at the cost of imposing a cooldown. Another possibility we’re exploring is making Lashing Tail Kick feel more compelling by moving the knockback component to a rune, or changing a rune to remove the knockback and instead increase the damage more meaningfully. These types of changes are not minor tweaks, however. We want to make sure we take some time to make meaningful changes that improve the overall play experience for these sacred warriors.

LOL,

I have told you guys, They(Blizzard) are clueless.
This blue post is an obvious sign to all Monks players.

He says monk is DECENT, then, whats a barb, ABOVE DECENT?
A SOLID class in term of damage, wow, Barb must have been ROCK SOLID then...
A barb can spam resource spender, A monk cant.
Wow...
Just WOW.
No wonder many people left D3 for other game.

"Monks, Jumps ship to Barb"
We got no hope in sight.
Edited by WhiteBootz#6395 on 10/3/2012 7:20 PM PDT
Some dev team obviously doesn't know what they are doing. No one loves cooldown in ARPGs, a game design that has the least cooldowns possible is a good design. A game design with cooldown literally everywhere throughout the game is a piece of crap.
I logged in to make my first post in these forums for this blue comment.

And all i have to say is this........what the !@#$ are you on?
i've played this class for over 1100 hours and i can say that some of the complaints here in the foruns are not true, however, there are some issues with the monk class that should be adressed. The spirit spenders for exemple is a very deep problem is not related to a playstyle or a given build, spirit spenders are bad becouse the class itself is constatly resource starved, after a death you can barelly aford to put your best passives up imagine spending spirit to actually do any damage. The closest u can get to a comparisson to spirit is DH discipline, and a DH does not need to use this for every single of his skills, of course spirit pool is bigguer and you can ramp up its regeneration but not nearly enought to get everything you would need for a effective spender build.
The passives are another big big problem, i dont mind the sti nerf, i really like to get more options i even wish they had some solution for the owe so it was not such a obligatory passive, but the way they are now (i've tested 1.05 for a few hours just to get the feeling of the new passives) you are just pigeonholed into defensive passives. Spirit regeneration passives just dont provide enought for it to be useful, dodge passives just scale horrible bad, there are a few options like moving speed is semi decent but not very fun, combination strike is decent but forces a playstyle with it, guiding light, near death experience and pacifism are just unusable.
I really want more out of my passives, spirit vessel gives cooldown reduction and the death cheating effect. Monk passives are genareally lacking something it would be fairly easy to give some more options, like make guardian path give increased attack speed for dual wielding, or chant of resonance give a litle boost for the manta effect, or even pacifism ignore the first cc effect that hits you in a given space of time. The way they are now, all choices fell bad and you just go with the defensives becouse you are more used to it or they give a more reliable bennefit, even with the current changes in 1.05 this does not change.
As the spirit generators go, thunderclap just crushes everything, not calling for a nerf on the contrary i fell that other spirit generators should be at least as powerful as thunderclap. As it is now thunderclap solely (not combine with cyclone or anything) gives you more actual dps than any wothf rune and i've tested this to nausea becouse i really dont like thunderclap, still i fell forced to use it.
ps: sorry for the bad english, is not my native language and i hope i an understandable.
I am sick and tired of people calling the barb OP, it is rediculous how people think he is... HE ISNT SO STOP COMPLAINING. he is built to take damage, just like the monk, but deal out moderate amounts, since when do u see a barb with 250k DPS?
the answer is, u dont... if u r looking at OP, look more towards the DH
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]