Diablo® III

Request for response on state of Monks..

(Locked)

Wow simply stunning response. I'm just speechless like everyone else. I completely agree with everyone that blizz is completely lost with the Monk class. Blizz's theme of building more diversity is simply nerfing the most popular skills. I began a DH and nerfs made me invest heavily into a Monk and now this blue post is disheartening enough for me to really not continue in 1.05. I think blizz has lost the definition of what "powerful" really means. This response if anything gives a clear indication where blizz's intentions are for this class.
We feel that monks are in a decent place at the moment, and are a solid class in terms of power, but there are some things that we would like to address with the class. Namely: we would like to delve deeper into fulfilling the fantasy of what it means to be a monk.

Currently, monks spend a lot of their time applying an assortment of DPS buffs through the use of utility and survivability buttons. The bulk of monk damage comes from very passive gameplay, like healing yourself to get a damage buff, or applying Sweeping Winds and not looking at it again. We want to give players who enjoy the fantasy of being a blur of fists and feet a more active playstyle, and we’d love to play up some other fun mechanics as well.

For example, one possibility we’re considering is changing one of Dashing Strike’s runes to allow players to travel further with the skill so that it can serve as a mobility tool, but at the cost of imposing a cooldown. Another possibility we’re exploring is making Lashing Tail Kick feel more compelling by moving the knockback component to a rune, or changing a rune to remove the knockback and instead increase the damage more meaningfully. These types of changes are not minor tweaks, however. We want to make sure we take some time to make meaningful changes that improve the overall play experience for these sacred warriors.

1.Monk able to channel four major element i.e Earth, Water, Air & Fire. Greater amplification of elemental damage & radius. Item specific elemental bonuses eg. Schaefer Two-Hander.

2.Speed. In martial discipline, Monk is fastest both in attack & avoidance roll. Short burst of power, added range & radius as of currently is fine but first hit are deadliest it should send "shockwaves" reeling effects upon target(s). Dodge due to Monk's near-superhuman speed it literally absorb (deflect) damage, it should be as in "Dodge" value + Armor (as in Physical Threshold) but not against non-physical threat.

3.Fist Attack (example): A massive one hit, bypass Armor. Character becomes immobile for one second as penalty. This could be activate once when Uniques Monster health below 15%.

4.Parry Kick, transfer of energy then release: This could serve as one time cancellation of fatal blow with devastating reflect damage.

5.Steps of Pheonix: Combo martial art movement... 1 step 2 step 3 side 4 back 5 then short dash 6. Can be activate only after using No.4, for example.

6.Lore-like Idle animation.

Thanks.

I would so play that class! Instead I have a Skunk WTF Blizz
those passives are what monks have left......nerfing them, meanning killing monks.
can blizzard tell what is happening in ptr already? how terrible it is for monks to farm.
"Barb and monk are obviously balanced because of the baseline 30% reduction in damage taken...right guys?"
-Vaeflare
We feel that monks are in a decent place at the moment, and are a solid class in terms of power, but there are some things that we would like to address with the class. Namely: we would like to delve deeper into fulfilling the fantasy of what it means to be a monk.

Currently, monks spend a lot of their time applying an assortment of DPS buffs through the use of utility and survivability buttons. The bulk of monk damage comes from very passive gameplay, like healing yourself to get a damage buff, or applying Sweeping Winds and not looking at it again. We want to give players who enjoy the fantasy of being a blur of fists and feet a more active playstyle, and we’d love to play up some other fun mechanics as well.

For example, one possibility we’re considering is changing one of Dashing Strike’s runes to allow players to travel further with the skill so that it can serve as a mobility tool, but at the cost of imposing a cooldown. Another possibility we’re exploring is making Lashing Tail Kick feel more compelling by moving the knockback component to a rune, or changing a rune to remove the knockback and instead increase the damage more meaningfully. These types of changes are not minor tweaks, however. We want to make sure we take some time to make meaningful changes that improve the overall play experience for these sacred warriors.

Well then, I'm glad I stopped playing my Monk.

I want to jump out of my window now... T_T
View profile

Balanced huh? Like how I'm leveling my barb and I've got two skills that cost very little resource, one that does 700% wd, and one that does 400%. Meanwhile my monk has to slowly build up and spend 75 freakin spirit to do 500%. Barbs also have a way to automatically build fury through crits, monks have..... fairly crappy spirit regen items. My barb can rapid fire smash out those 20 fury 400% wd attacks over and over and do massive damage. My monk can.... do it once. Maybe twice if I get that +100 spirit passive. My barb doesn't need to spam fury to get the most out of his warcries. My monk needs to spam a 50 spirit mantra. My barb explodes enemies with cleave. My monk just knocks them over. My barb has +% heal, which'll scale really well later on when I get !@#$loads of vit. My monk has heals that are completely worthless in the real game. My barb still has 100% vit as armor. My monk got nerfed.

So you guys keep making meaningless changes to the monk that don't solve core issues, and I guess I'll level a barb to play when I get the urge to melee until you guys realize why monks aren't fun to play.
Edited by Blackstream#1914 on 10/3/2012 7:30 PM PDT
I am sick and tired of people calling the barb OP, it is rediculous how people think he is... HE ISNT SO STOP COMPLAINING. he is built to take damage, just like the monk, but deal out moderate amounts, since when do u see a barb with 250k DPS?
the answer is, u dont... if u r looking at OP, look more towards the DH

Right, just like the monk... except with more mobility, more defense, more damage, easier resource generation, greater build diversity, an uber champion-killing steroid (WotB), exclusive gear (strength-based gear), awesome offensive passives, and easier itemization (barbs make much better use out of 2-handers than monks, and actually don't need dps on their off-hand with the WW build if dual wielding).
10/03/2012 07:09 PMPosted by Shortkiller
I just quit my monk because of this. Going with my DH now

Same here, lucky that my gear is transferable to my DH.

Adios Monk, it was fun hoping for a buff to bring us up to par with the other characters, only to be crushed flat today

You're crazy. Don't you see, there's a fatal problem with your plan: Demon Hunters aren't Barbs.

Blizzard logic:

Some people aren't using many barb passives... these barb skills are underused... LET'S DOUBLE THEM!

Animosity? Only 10% extra Fury? DOUBLE IT!
Inspiring Presence? Only 1% health per second? DOUBLE IT?
Unforgiving only 1 Fury every 2 Seconds? let's DOUBLE IT. Then DOUBLE IT AGAIN!

Oh, People are always using the same three monk passives. What should we do? Let's look at their best ones and NERF them!

I just don't get it. When Barbs are pigeon holed they buff their other skills. When other classes are they nerf the good ones.

It would make sense if barbs were bottom of the barrel... but they're the exact opposite.
I dont feel underpowered or less than other classes in anyway , actually , other classes are always complimenting me in group games they say i kill everything before they can even walk in to get a hit on it all. I have around 90k when im fully buffed honestly i just think some of the people posting just dont know how to gear a monk...if you inspect me, keep in mind i am preparing for the next patch thats why im gemmed vitality , doing monster level 10
Edited by Incorporated#1508 on 10/3/2012 7:32 PM PDT
i like my demon hunter nerf nether than stop using it
now again make my monk useless !! not again comon
I love my monk leave it like that

For example, one possibility we’re considering is changing one of Dashing Strike’s runes to allow players to travel further with the skill so that it can serve as a mobility tool, but at the cost of imposing a cooldown.

Currently Dashing Strike will move the monk towards anything it can target regardless of distance.

For people with 2+ monitors Dashing Strike technically has a longer range (wider than my screen since you can see/click farther).

I'll reiterate that for you Vae - If I can click it, I can instantly dash towards it. Unless this has changed in the past 2 months tell me how you are going to make it travel further (than my clickable screen as it is now) AND give it a cooldown. The answer I'd accept is to be able to Dash without a target as the current "No target dash" distance is extremely short.
Lol, i already responded to this thread but i can't help it.

The fact that a blizzard staff, a blue, said that monks are OK and have DECENT power is.. is... i can't even express it with words.

The future of diablo was already looking bleak, and now this..

I'm not angry, i'm not sad, i'm impressed, i'm baffled, baffled on how terrible, on how little the development team of D3 know about their own game, do they even play it? Have they even tested it? Amateurs/interns couldn't screw up things this bad, but this is Blizzards we are talking about... what a way to throw your name into the mud.
Edited by DiE#1363 on 10/3/2012 7:39 PM PDT
Blue: get the hint, no one other than u guys think monk is "in a decent place". NO ONE. It wasnt in a decent place befor 1.05. It just got shafted into the dunny in 1.05. Unless you think it is the place monk should be in. 1.06 the dev might just pull the flush.
I am sick and tired of people calling the barb OP, it is rediculous how people think he is... HE ISNT SO STOP COMPLAINING. he is built to take damage, just like the monk, but deal out moderate amounts, since when do u see a barb with 250k DPS?
the answer is, u dont... if u r looking at OP, look more towards the DH

Whos talking about your lovely BARB class.
Barb has no problems at all, they faceroll Inferno fast.
Thats why they are the fastest class to reach para 100.
And i dont even CARE if they are overpowered.

We are complaining about Monk.
Dont you read the post....
You should stop posting this if you fear your Barb being nerfed.
Posting rant like that wont help at all.
We are not even talking about barb...
The problem is the Monk class.
Edited by WhiteBootz#6395 on 10/3/2012 7:41 PM PDT
10/03/2012 05:59 PMPosted by Hex
Please, Blue, rectify this situation and put some more effort into reassuring - or at least communicating - with your Monk player-base.

I don't play a Monk, but I like playing with all the classes. But what I like best is playing with people that feel like their controlling their own playing styles.

It would be nice if the "powers that be" would communicate with both of the Dexterity based classes.

I'll end by saying that the word Diversity means to have a variety of options, it does not mean that builds should be eliminated, or powered down because "it's not in the scope" of what was planned.
View profile
10/03/2012 07:32 PMPosted by Incorporated
I dont feel underpowered or less than other classes in anyway , actually , other classes are always complimenting me in group games they say i kill everything before they can even walk in to get a hit on it all. I have around 90k when im fully buffed honestly i just think some of the people posting just dont know how to gear a monk...if you inspect me, keep in mind i am preparing for the next patch thats why im gemmed vitality , doing monster level 10

Your build consists of Fists of Thunder Thunderclap, damage Breath of Heaven, Serenity, Conviction, tornado sweeping wind, and mystic ally. Other than mystic ally, your build is like basically the same as everyone else's. Notably, your build doesn't make use of any of the spirit users. Because they suck. And monks are basically forced to build this way, and Blizzard doesn't seem to get that.
Edited by Blackstream#1914 on 10/3/2012 7:37 PM PDT
If the Monk is in a good place, than why is it the second least played class?

If you want to make the Monk a better class overall, dodge needs a major overhaul.
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]