Diablo® III

Blizzard just announced they dont testanymore

From the PTR forums:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6794350883

Abstract:
New end-game hellfire ring from uber bosses, the major new feature from the patch, was doing 3 million damage.

CM just admitted it was a "bug" affecting 100% of the cases and increasing the ring's damage by almost a hundred times - something they didn't notice because they never tried to activate the ring even once before releasing the patch to the public.

Yeah because thats what all big software companies do, right? Make a huge feature and instead of even checking if it works, send it out to public right away?

Or maybe what they do is lie to our face and laugh maniacally as they watch the poor gullible people fall for it.

---------------------------------
Edit:
For all of you who plan on using the "they can't test everything" fallacy as argument:

Testing everything? Of course they can't test everything, no one is saying they could do that. Test the one single item they added as the end-game of the end-game, the main goal of completing all the features they added in the patch? And testing it at least once? Yeah, they're expected to test at least that.

And for those who do not know what "internal testing" is and instead assume it is perfectly normal for this kind of "bug" to be on the PTR because it stands for "Public Test Realm"... this is no corner case or hard-to-find hidden bug, it happens 100% of the times on a major addition from the patch... and if you still don't get it, try to think for two more minutes.

If you really missed the point: this could hardly have been a bug, that would go unnoticed by Blizzard but noticed by every player since their very first hellfire ball. So they either never tested it, or are clearly lying to our faces and pretending it is perfectly fine to do so, repeatedly.

-----------------------
Edit2:
Thanks to whoever got this other quote from Lylirra from the Trail of Cinders issue:

The note was written based on incorrect information, yes (which due to the fact that we missed this issue during testing). We've already identified why we missed this issue originally and have improved our processes so that the same issue won't happen again -- both for in terms of testing changes and confirming information put into the patch notes.

So they do indeed admit to not properly test changes after all. Now if only such processes had been improved...
Edited by Koric#1513 on 10/6/2012 9:34 PM PDT
Ok I really need help on this. You are saying they don't test things out, while quoting a topic from the TEST realm.
I don't follow. What is it you don't understand about public test realm?
PTR son. PTR.
The point he is making:

5 minutes could have avoided this problem

or

Blizzard lies.
Mentioned to the tool multiple times in that forum.

He's clearly looking for support and you guys are not giving it to him.
Or its a test server and they made a programming error and released it on test...where it was caught and fixed. Wow go figure.
The point he is making:

5 minutes could have avoided this problem

or

Blizzard lies.

Or they could have released 1.05 with no testing. Which is what you are asking for? Or are you asking for Blizzard to test before they test.
A Blizzard game has bugs?

Whoa.

I just got dizzy.
10/05/2012 11:27 PMPosted by Aggravator
Or its a test server and they made a programming error and released it on test...where it was caught and fixed. Wow go figure.

See, here's when they start laughing maniacally.

Do you have any notion of software development practices? I assume not, but I also assume Blizzard does.

It is simply inconceivable to launch something without even TRYING IT OUT. It doesn't matter if it is a test server - this is the equivalent of, for example, everytime you exit town you instantly die. Everyone. Everytime.

So you're gonna defend them "oh yeah, its a bug, thats what the test realm is for, they just caught this bug that everyone dies as soon as they exit a town". NO, that is something you notice with 5 minutes of development-phase testing BEFORE releasing it to the public.

This was the single major feature of the whole patch - when you CODE something this big, you RUN THE CODE YOURSELF to check it does what you're expecting it to do. This was no corner case, this was a 100% occurance "bug" with a slightly unnoticeable 1000% factor change.

TL;DR

It wasn't a bug. But they rather lie to us and pretend it is fine to do so, than simply admitting they overpowered it a bit and had to rebalance.

OR... It was a bug. And Blizzard has officially fired all their QA employees and forbid their developers to do any sort testing, which is the only conceivable way to ensure that such a "bug" would be able to surface to the outer world.
Edited by Koric#1513 on 10/5/2012 11:42 PM PDT
10/05/2012 11:32 PMPosted by SeeknDestroy
Nothing surprises me from this company. It's mainly bad surprises.

Well all gaming companies has issues with bugs. What matters is making sure it does not go out live. Even Valve makes mistakes (like with DotA 2).
10/05/2012 11:37 PMPosted by Koric
everytime you exit town you instantly die.

no, it's not.

Try programming for yourself; it's really easy to make assumptions about games and their programmers. Go out and try modifying a game where the source code is available and see how that goes. Do you go outside an instantly die? No you don't and I'm sure that's a programming mistake that's easier to make then what's occurring on PTR.
To provide some more insight:

Software typically goes through multiple stages before it is released officially. The typical workflow is:
Development -> Beta -> Production

Often, an alpha stage is thrown in before beta as well. Now, beta is the environment that is released to a limited set of clients, which is analogous to our PTR realm. There seems to be the misconception that once features are finished in the development stage, that it is standard practice to throw the new code onto Beta for users to test.

That is NOT standard practice. It's not good practice, either.

Rather, software should be tested and debugged internally in the development environment, and when it's deemed ready (i.e. not perfect, but comprehensively tested) it is thrown onto Beta for another round of testing.

The reason why people are upset is because this is a bug that should've been caught well in the early stages of development, not beta.

As a software developer myself, I am aghast that such poor testing practices are being followed.
10/05/2012 11:39 PMPosted by Nilrem
Nothing surprises me from this company. It's mainly bad surprises.

Well all gaming companies has issues with bugs. What matters is making sure it does not go out live. Even Valve makes mistakes (like with DotA 2).

Yes, bugs are common and bugs are fine. Lying is not.

You don't launch bugs that affect major features 100% of the times.

This is not like the Keywarden being immortal with 1HP some of the times. This is like if Diablo being immortal with 1HP EVERY SINGLE TIME anyone tried to kill him, thus being impossible to miss the bug if you tried to kill him even once. You don't launch stuff like this, test realm or not.
Koric has a point. five minutes of playing this game before releasing to to the public would have fixed it.

it actually bothers the utter !@#$ out of me when people release things without the barest of testing.
OP its a bug when they written a program it might have contradict each other hences making a bug but in theroy it shoulda work thats why its been release on PTR and yes they are testing it hence PUBLIC testing realm

It wasn't a bug. But they rather lie to us and pretend it is fine to do so, than simply admitting they overpowered it a bit and had to rebalance.

OR... It was a bug. And Blizzard has officially fired all their QA employees and forbid their developers to do any sort testing, which is the only conceivable way to ensure that such a "bug" would be able to surface to the outer world.

Ok... So what???
10/05/2012 11:37 PMPosted by Koric

See, here's when they start laughing maniacally.

Do you have any notion of software development practices? I assume not, but I also assume Blizzard does.

It is simply inconceivable to launch something without even TRYING IT OUT. It doesn't matter if it is a test server - this is the equivalent of, for example, everytime you exit town you instantly die. Everyone. Everytime.

So you're gonna defend them "oh yeah, its a bug, thats what the test realm is for, they just caught this bug that everyone dies as soon as they exit a town". NO, that is something you notice with 5 minutes of development-phase testing BEFORE releasing it to the public.

This was the single major feature of the whole patch - when you CODE something this big, you RUN THE CODE YOURSELF to check it does what you're expecting it to do. This was no corner case, this was a 100% occurance "bug" with a slightly unnoticeable 1000% factor change.

TL;DR

... what are public test realms for?
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]