Diablo® III

Blizzard just announced they dont testanymore

A lot major gamebreaking and countless minor bugs in the real game so far from the release day - so I doubt anyone is suprised anymore

There is a reason "We doublet it" to became one of the most popular quotes here

BFD. Pretty much all PC games ship with bugs. That's why they get patched.

On a a sidenote, the diablo 3 community has got to be one of the most ridiculous and childish gaming communities I've ever been involved with. I've never seen players complain the way they do on these forums. This is the first time I've ever heard of players criticizing the devs for fixing what could cause serious imbalance in the game.

+1000
100 Night Elf Hunter
A lot major gamebreaking and countless minor bugs in the real game so far from the release day - so I doubt anyone is suprised anymore

On a a sidenote, the diablo 3 community has got to be one of the most ridiculous and childish gaming communities I've ever been involved with. I've never seen players complain the way they do on these forums. This is the first time I've ever heard of players criticizing the devs for fixing what could cause serious imbalance in the game.

Oh, but evil Blizz lied to us when they said it was a bug instead of a nerf!!!

/sigh
Yea, and good that it never made it live.

The point of it, is when you introduce a major decision, make sure it is working as intended at the first step.

You do realized that there is quite a few players who got a prefect rolled hell-fire rings, and they might carry the expectation that the hell-rings they will find in the live server will alter their character as the one they found in Public test realm.

Now that illusion is being corrected ( crushed ).

I think you are not too dense to realize that don't you? Stop quoting a sentence and try to read and understand the entire content.

It is still a professional job to ensure that no mistake when you launch a new product or design. Especially one that has serious affect on the game system.

Learn to be more polite as well. You can disagree, but you do so civilized.

Thats right. Welcome to the forum of Diablo 3, where players cry for mobs to be nerfed, their class to be buffed, anything from official patch to bugs in P.T.R. You took away millions of damage from their class in P.T.R and suddenly, they don't feel OP anymore and cry foul.
Edited by lawong78#1595 on 10/6/2012 12:36 PM PDT

there's a LOT of people who fit this description. Schools in certain fields like this one don't entirely reward creativity or problem solving. it's simply "do the work, pass the tests, get your degree", none of which make you inherently motivated or hardworking.

I just don't agree with calling a professional lazy because of simple mistakes. There's a lot of calculations to consider and a lot more coding to back it up. If the game were to become nonfunctional, than I'd have issues of my own.

not that i necessarily agree with the overall tone or assumptions of the thread, it is pretty lazy and a general trend of blizzards.

do you ever wonder why the BETA is a public test by players with no programming knowledge, no idea where to look for bugs or even any idea if something in particular is a bug? simply because it's free.

you ever wonder why instead of getting 5-8 acts, we simply had another difficulty slapped on top of a game that was already borderline monotonous? because it's cheaper and easier.

ever wonder why we only have 5 classes instead of having at least 7 based off of our last iteration of the game? simply because its cheaper and easier

ever wonder why the focus of the game is on champions/elites with randomized stats rather than a balanced steady flow of gameplay that was predesigned? because it's cheaper and easier.

these are only a handful of major examples that i can think of that show that blizzard has made it a point to cut corners where possible

No one said the PTR should be entirely bug free, and using that as your argument constitutes throwing up a strawman. People are saying this very obvious and 100% reproduced bug should have never made it. It is something that according to Blizzard never worked as intended. Something that not once worked as intended should not get to a beta phase.

But it did. So again, now what?

Now we get on Blizzard's case about having more thorough internal testing so they stop having untested content. The PTR is a decent stop-gap measure, but this is just indicative of the larger problem that Blizzard does not have a sufficient QA team, and I'm entirely willing to blame Blizz execs for not running a tight ship versus the individual QA testers who are assigned specific things to test.

Something that never work as intended, whatever, has already got into beta testing and Blizzard wants to fix this. To say my argument constitues throwing up a strawman is not correct. While someone will love to keep "biting" on this issue, the rest of us simply don't want to hype on it because it is a P.T.R. So move on.

Yes, it does constitute throwing up a strawman argument. You said:

Yes, so are you implying beta cannot contain bugs? Likewise by your logic, any drivers or software like windows that are release for beta testing, i should "demand" that they are bugs free since they are supposed to have gone through internal testing.

Which is in no way what I was implying. You are equating saying this one kind of bug that is easily and consistently reproducible to saying that all bugs of all kinds should never happen in software. That is grossly misrepresenting the position of everyone in this thread who sees a problem with it and using that as your argument. That is an archetype of the strawman fallacy.

I'll keep biting until I have nothing better to do, so for about another hour. It probably says something about me being deeply flawed that I enjoy arguing about these sorts of things, but it's something to do where at least I'm exercising my mind.
Edited by OckhamsFolly#1337 on 10/6/2012 12:36 PM PDT
I don't understand how OP's point is being missed. If they tried to use the ring even ONCE they would have themselves uncovered the bug.

Same with ToC. There is a massive difference between 1500% and whatever it's being nerfed to now. Had they used the new skill just ONCE they would have noticed that something was wrong.

HAHA I know right?! It's soo bad that I almost get facsinated by it. How can one company make such succesful games almost all of them having massive communities and co-op play and yet there's so many ridiculous, childish, non brain using people out there. I don't get how Blizzard is able to make online games that do so well considering that.

people like you are why companies get away with shipping games with low quality and having people pay for DLC's.

because you accept and expect games to be broken on release and dont demand better quality

HAHA I know right?! It's soo bad that I almost get facsinated by it. How can one company make such succesful games almost all of them having massive communities and co-op play and yet there's so many ridiculous, childish, non brain using people out there. I don't get how Blizzard is able to make online games that do so well considering that.

i think ppl just complain for the sake of complaining they want to feel special

but on another note they will play the game anyway so blizzard have nothing to worry about
It's possible that it was tested and worked correctly, then some code was changed for something that wasn't directly related, but still had an affect on it that was overlooked until it was found on ptr.

Typical code has modules(functions) that are called when a variable lands correctly, sometimes modules within modules, generally these modules are used for multiple things. There could have been a bug found with something else that calls the same module, and the change was made within that module to correct it, when it should have been made from the line of code that was calling the module, essentially fixing the output for that code, but breaking it for other things that call upon the same module.

I'm not saying this is what happened, but it could be, its time consuming to test every feature of a program every time you make a change that at the time you didn't expect to have an affect on more than what you intended it to.

It is true, that they should have been able to trace back changes to 1 module to everything that called it, then had a list of everything that should have been tested. As far as i know, blizzard has human programmers, we make mistakes, this one was found on the ptr, didn't make it live, it's not that big of a deal.
Oh goodness this is some what of an over reaction.

As someone who use to work in QA (testing) for a global company.... putting something into test and finding bugs is how the whole process works.

And FYI no matter how big your test team is, or how much your test team cares, or how good they are, bugs will still make it to live.

If you believe that is because the company automatically doesn't care / or is lying to you (/tin foil hat) then you simply don't understand the complexities involved within these issues.
@Answertolife

Because some tend to ignore what is said and go on doing personal attacks, random wandering to other topics just to distract others away from the main issue, or simply too rude to have a mature conversation.

Anything that does not fall into their understandings and agreement is dismissed as " Cry ", "Complains", " Casual ", ( Amazed by the numbers of C's words ).

The OP point is that it is odd that they never realized the mistake on Hell-fire ring. It should be obvious since the bug is obvious and why it manage to slip under the detection.

http://i.imgur.com/zqYlE.jpg
the only one big rise of the play time (~August 22) was when they started to care making good patches with 1,0,4 patch - and you know what I think you need to say a big thanks to the "ridiculous and childish gaming communities" AKA the "whiners" and "quitters"
Edited by FrozenTS#2718 on 10/6/2012 12:53 PM PDT
This is stupid. "PUBLIC TEST REALM "

/thread
Yea, and good that it never made it live.

The point of it, is when you introduce a major decision, make sure it is working as intended at the first step.

You do realized that there is quite a few players who got a prefect rolled hell-fire rings, and they might carry the expectation that the hell-rings they will find in the live server will alter their character as the one they found in Public test realm.

Now that illusion is being corrected ( crushed ).

I think you are not too dense to realize that don't you? Stop quoting a sentence and try to read and understand the entire content.

Quite a few players that got perfect rolled hellfire rings? GTFOH with that BS. You have no idea what you're talking about and not only are you dense, now you're making stuff up.

It is still a professional job to ensure that no mistake when you launch a new product or design. Especially one that has serious affect on the game system.

And professionals never make mistakes? get real dude. Apple shipped a totally screwed up maps, microsoft shipped windows vista. These are/were actual shipping products. You're getting all dramatic over a bug confined to a test server. Get over it francis.
Edited by Monsta#1979 on 10/6/2012 12:52 PM PDT
Oh goodness this is some what of an over reaction.

As someone who use to work in QA (testing) for a global company.... putting something into test and finding bugs is how the whole process works.

And FYI no matter how big your test team is, or how much your test team cares, or how good they are, bugs will still make it to live.

If you believe that is because the company automatically doesn't care / or is lying to you (/tin foil hat) then you simply don't understand the complexities involved within these issues.

Ah, but that wouldn't explain why it took two weeks of the bug being live and known (albeit, not known by the playerbase that it was a bug) on the PTR to hear a peep about it, now would it?

I made the point that it's possible that the error isn't necessarily in the QA department a few pages back, that it could be an internal communication problem or something like that as well. The conversation shifted and no one ever acknowledged those points, but they're there. It is obvious that there is a problem somewhere in the Blizzard corporate structure, a problem that reared its head with the Trail of Cinders bug, and a problem they still have not fixed. That's the problem I have. The devs probably do care, but I am not convinced that corporate does, and in the end that's going to lead to stunted potential.

But it did. So again, now what?

Now we get on Blizzard's case about having more thorough internal testing so they stop having untested content. The PTR is a decent stop-gap measure, but this is just indicative of the larger problem that Blizzard does not have a sufficient QA team, and I'm entirely willing to blame Blizz execs for not running a tight ship versus the individual QA testers who are assigned specific things to test.

Something that never work as intended, whatever, has already got into beta testing and Blizzard wants to fix this. To say my argument constitues throwing up a strawman is not correct. While someone will love to keep "biting" on this issue, the rest of us simply don't want to hype on it because it is a P.T.R. So move on.

Yes, it does constitute throwing up a strawman argument. You said:

Yes, so are you implying beta cannot contain bugs? Likewise by your logic, any drivers or software like windows that are release for beta testing, i should "demand" that they are bugs free since they are supposed to have gone through internal testing.

Which is in no way what I was implying. You are equating saying this one kind of bug that is easily and consistently reproducible to saying that all bugs of all kinds should never happen in software. That is grossly misrepresenting the position of everyone in this thread who sees a problem with it and using that as your argument. That is an archetype of the strawman fallacy.

I'll keep biting until I have nothing better to do, so for about another hour. It probably says something about me being deeply flawed that I enjoy arguing about these sorts of things, but it's something to do where at least I'm exercising my mind.

I understand that hellfire ring was only introduced in 1.05 which is currently in P.T.R. and this patch is not even live yet. I am quite amaze you do not imply that beta testing cannot contain bugs, but at the same time, condemning a P.T.R bug because you think that is easily and consistently reproducible, to the extent of comparing my argument to an archetype of a strawman fallacy. Easy bugs, difficult bugs are all bugs to me and blizzard is fixing them in P.T.R. From the nature that you will keep biting tells me that "hey man, you should just loosen up"!
Edited by lawong78#1595 on 10/6/2012 1:04 PM PDT
@Neoathlon

I agreed with you. It happens often to web designing as well, especially when coding is involved. Human are prone to error. That is true. However, the ring was designed to be a end game item, which can alter a character and it's performance in the game. Having such a glaring problem, is reflecting bad to the reputation of Blizzard.

It might have worked correctly when they tested it and something happen when it was introduced to the test public realm. However, it is also their duty to check and check and still check out for any possible bugs and problems. Especially with their major designs. Since the bug effect is obvious, they should and could have notice it during the first few days /first week of public test realm and post a blue post informing the gamer.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]