Diablo® III

Blizzard just announced they dont testanymore

people like you are why companies get away with shipping games with low quality and having people pay for DLC's.

because you accept and expect games to be broken on release and dont demand better quality

Your expectations of everything being perfect is flawed and delusional, people like you are oblivious to how the world actually works.

You mean the real world where man are not perfect and easily reproducible bug exists.....
Edited by lawong78#1595 on 10/6/2012 1:02 PM PDT

people like you are why companies get away with shipping games with low quality and having people pay for DLC's.

because you accept and expect games to be broken on release and dont demand better quality

wtf?? PC games have always been patched. That's just the nature of the business. If you don't like it, don't buy PC games.
From the PTR forums:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6794350883

Abstract:
New end-game hellfire ring from uber bosses, the major new feature from the patch, was doing 3 million damage.

CM just admitted it was a "bug" affecting 100% of the cases and increasing the ring's damage by almost a hundred times - something they didn't notice because they never tried to activate the ring even once before releasing the patch to the public.

Yeah because thats what all big software companies do, right? Make a huge feature and instead of even checking if it works, send it out to public right away?

Or maybe what they do is lie to our face and laugh maniacally as they watch the poor gullible people fall for it.

IT WAS BEING TESTED IN THE "PUBLIC TESTING REALM", YOU KNOW, THAT PLACE WHERE THINGS GET TESTED?!?!?
@Neoathlon

I agreed with you. It happens often to web designing as well, especially when coding is involved. Human are prone to error. That is true. However, the ring was designed to be a end game item, which can alter a character and it's performance in the game. Having such a glaring problem, is reflecting bad to the reputation of Blizzard.

It might have worked correctly when they tested it and something happen when it was introduced to the test public realm. However, it is also their duty to check and check and still check out for any possible bugs and problems. Especially with their major designs. Since the bug effect is obvious, they should and could have notice it during the first few days /first week of public test realm and post a blue post informing the gamer.

what does everyone not UNDERSTAND it is a TEST SERVER there DUTY is the make sure it does not go LIVE but even then all the testing they can do will still not be 100% bug or mistake free
no program ever is someone always finds a way to get around something BUT once they find the issue they FIX it

and a TEST server means TEST
no matter if they test something 100 times they can't test every single little thing every they make a change to something something can slip through
I am not assuming that professional cannot make mistake, I am saying that it is professional to ensure nothing goes wrong with a major design.

What is wrong with you not reading the entire post? I said it is easy to go wrong with coding and if it someone else who does it, it is also very easy to make the same mistake. I am saying that it is important to make sure that a end game item should be check and checked to ensure nothing goes wrong.

Do you not noticed that the OP's post is about the obvious bug in Hell-fire ring? And it took them quite a while to realize it? The ring is a end game item. It is introduce as a reward for gamer. It should be given a lot of attentions and testings before and after releasing.

And how do you know that some players didn't get a perfect roll on Hell-fire ring? Seriously, how is it that you knew and someone else don't? You never found or see a nice roll on any items? Even the one you saw or purchased on AH or RMAH?

1000 rings, 3 might be perfect. It exist in any items in the game.

I said that for those who got the perfect roll in the public test realm and might carry the same expectation that if they find a perfect rolled Hell-fire ring in the live server, they would be expecting the same affects on their characters.

Your expectations of everything being perfect is flawed and delusional, people like you are oblivious to how the world actually works.

"everything being perfect" ? please, i recognize that nothing will ever be perfect on release. but i don't use DLC or patches as a meaningful crutch to accept games half finished (pvp anyone?)

wtf?? PC games have always been patched. That's just the nature of the business. If you don't like it, don't buy PC games.

uh, you know console games are offering patches and dlc's now right?
Edited by Providence#1541 on 10/6/2012 1:09 PM PDT
"Ah, but that wouldn't explain why it took two weeks of the bug being live and known (albeit, not known by the playerbase that it was a bug) on the PTR to hear a peep about it, now would it?"

=============

In LIVE and in TEST (PTR) are two very different things. I'm not sure everyone in this thread is understanding that.

As I said in the second part of my post, even if there is a bug in LIVE, so what.

Anyone who thinks its possible to make a completely bug free game of this complexity, can't have any experience working in the industry.

Also bugs you see as a number one priority (omg must fix now, its been a bug for 2 whole weeks!) may be very different to what a companies internal teams see as a priority (with far more info than you/me) when they prioritise them for fixing.

Yes people want things 100% perfect and they want them now. That just not realistic.
100 Night Elf Hunter
10/06/2012 12:35 PMPosted by OckhamsFolly
Now we get on Blizzard's case about having more thorough internal testing so they stop having untested content. The PTR is a decent stop-gap measure, but this is just indicative of the larger problem that Blizzard does not have a sufficient QA team, and I'm entirely willing to blame Blizz execs for not running a tight ship versus the individual QA testers who are assigned specific things to test.

Who's 'we?' The people who populate this forum? Uhm, yeah. Right.

And again, all the procedures and tight ships in the world will not and cannot account for human error. For instance, I can see the programmer sending the incorrectly coded ring to QA, but in the rush to get the patch to the PTR--to satisfy 'we's' demands for game changes NOW--it slips through the cracks and doesn't get tested. I've experienced similar things several times over in my decades in the workforce.

In any event, as been stated many times over, this is a non-issue. A mistake was made, but it was caught and corrected before it went live. And everyone lived happily ever after--until the next forum-generated crisis.
100 Tauren Warrior
I am not assuming that professional cannot make mistake, I am saying that it is professional to ensure nothing goes wrong with a major design.

What is wrong with you not reading the entire post? I said it is easy to go wrong with coding and if it someone else who does it, it is also very easy to make the same mistake. I am saying that it is important to make sure that a end game item should be check and checked to ensure nothing goes wrong.

Do you not noticed that the OP's post is about the obvious bug in Hell-fire ring? And it took them quite a while to realize it? The ring is a end game item. It is introduce as a reward for gamer. It should be given a lot of attentions and testings before and after releasing.

And how do you know that some players didn't get a perfect roll on Hell-fire ring? Seriously, how is it that you knew and someone else don't? You never found or see a nice roll on any items? Even the one you saw or purchased on AH or RMAH?

1000 rings, 3 might be perfect. It exist in any items in the game.

I said that for those who got the perfect roll in the public test realm and might carry the same expectation that if they find a perfect rolled Hell-fire ring in the live server, they would be expecting the same affects on their characters.

Why don't you understand that the mistake was found on the test server...Where it was being tested for the purpose of testing. IT DID NOT GO LIVE to the live servers and all players. It was found on the TEST SERVER.

Yes we get it...Things should be tested and working before they make it out to the players and that's exactly what they were doing....TESTING BEFORE IT WENT LIVE!!!
"Ah, but that wouldn't explain why it took two weeks of the bug being live and known (albeit, not known by the playerbase that it was a bug) on the PTR to hear a peep about it, now would it?"

=============

In LIVE and in TEST (PTR) are two very different things. I'm not sure everyone in this thread is understanding that.

As I said in the second part of my post, even if there is a bug in LIVE, so what.

Anyone who thinks its possible to make a completely bug free game of this complexity, can't have any experience working in the industry.

Also bugs you see as a number one priority (omg must fix now, its been a bug for 2 whole weeks!) may be very different to what a companies internal teams see as a priority (with far more info than you/me) when they prioritise them for fixing.

Yes people want things 100% perfect and they want them now. That just not realistic.

the bug never went live it went to the test server
for testing and got fixed

so what? are you joking? so if there was a bug that allowed 35% of the playerbase to steal other peoples gear at will and get items off the RMAH for free that ended up going live, you'd be like "so what"??

you can't just blindly say so what to bugs, some of them can royally ruin a game beyond repair.

the fact that people even give blizzard the benefit of the doubt in terms of bugs on release is just showing the sorry state that games are in now.
Edited by Providence#1541 on 10/6/2012 1:13 PM PDT
@Neoathlon

I agreed with you. It happens often to web designing as well, especially when coding is involved. Human are prone to error. That is true. However, the ring was designed to be a end game item, which can alter a character and it's performance in the game. Having such a glaring problem, is reflecting bad to the reputation of Blizzard.

It might have worked correctly when they tested it and something happen when it was introduced to the test public realm. However, it is also their duty to check and check and still check out for any possible bugs and problems. Especially with their major designs. Since the bug effect is obvious, they should and could have notice it during the first few days /first week of public test realm and post a blue post informing the gamer.

what does everyone not UNDERSTAND it is a TEST SERVER there DUTY is the make sure it does not go LIVE but even then all the testing they can do will still not be 100% bug or mistake free
no program ever is someone always finds a way to get around something BUT once they find the issue they FIX it

no matter if they test something 100 times they can't test every single little thing every they make a change to something something can slip through

Careful with what you say about every single little thing. There are others who compare this kind of bug that is easily and consistently reproducible, should never make it to P.T.R. in case your argument throws up a strawman here.
Edited by lawong78#1595 on 10/6/2012 1:16 PM PDT
Was it a bug or was it a nerf? Who cares? It was there for some time, now it isn't. The same can happen to live as well, anytime. Oh wait, it already happened and even more than once!
@ Mr Conan,

I do understand, and i think a lot of people shared the same agreement with you,that it is a TEST REALM. Nothing wrong with your statements. Let me repeat again, there is nothing wrong and changes and tweaking are often made after collecting the date from a test realm.

However, my personal debate is that because it is a major design, and it has a obvious bug....it should have more attentions from the designers to watch out if it is working as intended before and after releasing it.

It the bug is a random issue which only affect certain rings or only appear in certain situations. Yes, it would be really hard to detect. But it is a obvious bug in a major design. They should have spotted it much faster.

This test realm is made because Blizzard wanted to know the changes they made to their game systems would work or not. It is not unreasonable to want to keep bugs as little as possible, because that would distract gamer from feeding back vital data about the their and their character responses to the incoming new system in 1.05.

Careful with what you say about every single little thing. There are others who compare this kind of bug that is easily and consistently reproducible, should never make it to P.T.R. in case your argument throws up a strawman here.

These notes will be updated through the course of the testing process. Please be aware some changes may not go live until a new PTR build is released.
View profile
From the PTR forums:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6794350883

Abstract:
New end-game hellfire ring from uber bosses, the major new feature from the patch, was doing 3 million damage.

CM just admitted it was a "bug" affecting 100% of the cases and increasing the ring's damage by almost a hundred times - something they didn't notice because they never tried to activate the ring even once before releasing the patch to the public.

Yeah because thats what all big software companies do, right? Make a huge feature and instead of even checking if it works, send it out to public right away?

Or maybe what they do is lie to our face and laugh maniacally as they watch the poor gullible people fall for it.

you idiot.

it is a TEST realm.

it is for finding bugs like this.

PTR Public Test Realm

you know... to test features???

"everything being perfect" ? please, i recognize that nothing will ever be perfect on release. but i don't use DLC or patches as a meaningful crutch to accept games half finished (pvp anyone?)

uh, you know console games are offering patches and dlc's now right?

So you just proved my point. patches and DLC are a pervasive part of video games. If you dont like what you characterize as broken games, go find another hobby.
@ Mr Conan,

I do understand, and i think a lot of people shared the same agreement with you,that it is a TEST REALM. Nothing wrong with your statements. Let me repeat again, there is nothing wrong and changes and tweaking are often made after collecting the date from a test realm.

However, my personal debate is that because it is a major design, and it has a obvious bug....it should have more attentions from the designers to watch out if it is working as intended before and after releasing it.

It the bug is a random issue which only affect certain rings or only appear in certain situations. Yes, it would be really hard to detect. But it is a obvious bug in a major design. They should have spotted it much faster.

This test realm is made because Blizzard wanted to know the changes they made to their game systems would work or not. It is not unreasonable to want to keep bugs as little as possible, because that would distract gamer from feeding back vital data about the their and their character responses to the incoming new system in 1.05.

why should a major or minor thing make any difrence they are bugs they want and need to sort out

so what? are you joking? so if there was a bug that allowed 35% of the playerbase to steal other peoples gear at will and get items off the RMAH for free that ended up going live, you'd be like "so what"??

-------------------------

OFC I wouldn't be "so what" - as in it doesn't matter, which is what you are implying I said (which I didn't).

I was saying if you are shocked a bug could make it to live, then you obviously have no idea of the complexities of this area of work. And that's fine... but your expectations are unrealistic so you are going to be disappointed (presumably until you write a game and show every other company on earth how its really done!).

Plus this thread (if blizz sees it) will give their QA dept a fairly big lol.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]