Diablo® III

Blizzard just announced they dont testanymore

what better way then having the whole diablo body testing it out for them they recieve data from every player the way i see it we the people that uswe PTR is helpinh them balance the game they only got 5 more patch till PVP so they need all the help they can get the next 5 patch is gonna be the game changer
10/05/2012 11:44 PMPosted by mki
everytime you exit town you instantly die.

no, it's not.

Try programming for yourself; it's really easy to make assumptions about games and their programmers. Go out and try modifying a game where the source code is available and see how that goes. Do you go outside an instantly die? No you don't and I'm sure that's a programming mistake that's easier to make then what's occurring on PTR.

I'm not making assumptions... I'm a software developer and that is why I cannot fall for such blatant lie that this was a "bug". I'm not talking about a mistake being easy or hard to MAKE. I'm talking about it being easy or hard to NOTICE. If you implement something that behaves incorrectly 100% of the cases and it is the main feature of a huge patch, guess what... you WILL HAVE TESTED IT.

Thus, only one outcome is possible - the CM is straight out lying and pretending it is fine. Because honestly, they know a bunch of you will believe just like you did.
they tester probably werent doing their job thats why they are counting on us to help them mold D3 into the game players want remember they need all the tester they can get and what better way then to ask the public
the OP of this thread is a perfect example of why there is no longer any hope for society.
Edited by Ballistixz#1552 on 10/5/2012 11:51 PM PDT
10/05/2012 11:37 PMPosted by Koric
It wasn't a bug. But they rather lie to us and pretend it is fine to do so, than simply admitting they overpowered it a bit and had to rebalance.

I still don't understand your point. Even if they did lie on purpose to cover up a Test realm bug, which is ridiculous btw, what would you like them to do. I mean cmon, they open up a PTR with a forum for feedback. How can you get more transparent?

Then when and if bugs are discovered, you call them morons and liars because of their existence. Quite frankly sir you literally make me shake my head.
To provide some more insight:

Software typically goes through multiple stages before it is released officially. The typical workflow is:
Development -> Beta -> Production

Often, an alpha stage is thrown in before beta as well. Now, beta is the environment that is released to a limited set of clients, which is analogous to our PTR realm. There seems to be the misconception that once features are finished in the development stage, that it is standard practice to throw the new code onto Beta for users to test.

That is NOT standard practice. It's not good practice, either.

Rather, software should be tested and debugged internally in the development environment, and when it's deemed ready (i.e. not perfect, but comprehensively tested) it is thrown onto Beta for another round of testing.

The reason why people are upset is because this is a bug that should've been caught well in the early stages of development, not beta.

As a software developer myself, I am aghast that such poor testing practices are being followed.

Exactly. People are like "ohh testing realm, where you're supposed to TEST FOR THE FIRST TIME (???) what you've just implemented".

They don't realize basic bugs like this can't go live at all, test realm or not. It is just appalling. Just about as much as people being oblivious to it and trying to defend it.
10/05/2012 11:50 PMPosted by Ballistixz
the OP of this thread is a perfect example of why there is no longer any hope for society.

Indeed, it's ridiculous to think that a developer would add a feature to software and then actually use the software to ensure that the feature is working correctly.
10/05/2012 11:49 PMPosted by Koric

no, it's not.

Try programming for yourself; it's really easy to make assumptions about games and their programmers. Go out and try modifying a game where the source code is available and see how that goes. Do you go outside an instantly die? No you don't and I'm sure that's a programming mistake that's easier to make then what's occurring on PTR.

I'm not making assumptions... I'm a software developer and that is why I cannot fall for such blatant lie that this was a "bug". I'm not talking about a mistake being easy or hard to MAKE. I'm talking about it being easy or hard to NOTICE. If you implement something that behaves incorrectly 100% of the cases and it is the main feature of a huge patch, guess what... you WILL HAVE TESTED IT.

Thus, only one outcome is possible - the CM is straight out lying and pretending it is fine. Because honestly, they know a bunch of you will believe just like you did.

you're making erroneous assumptions.

you assume that blizzard didn't test the ring. they did. thats what the ptr was, a TEST realm that tests things before they go live. I don't know what you think a PTR is or what it is designed for.
10/05/2012 11:50 PMPosted by Ballistixz

Online gaming communities in general give me the same feeling.
10/05/2012 11:52 PMPosted by DarthSki44
It wasn't a bug. But they rather lie to us and pretend it is fine to do so, than simply admitting they overpowered it a bit and had to rebalance.

I still don't understand your point. Even if they did lie on purpose to cover up a Test realm bug, which is ridiculous btw, what would you like them to do. I mean cmon, they open up a PTR with a forum for feedback. How can you get more transparent?

Then when and if bugs are discovered, you call them morons and liars because of their existence. Quite frankly sir you literally make me shake my head.

That is exactly the opposite - they didn't lie to cover up a bug. They are lying to make it become a bug.

My point is, they could have just said "yeah it was too overpowered and we had to nerf it". But it looks like this community gets way more annoyed by nerfs than by lies, so they instead said "It was a ner.... a bug! A bug! We would never nerf it!"
look no ones make a perfect game thats why every game have patches they fix one problem but the program contradict with anoter alrdy written problem hence a bug so they gotta rewrite it so itll work with both program some how i dont believe your a software programmer
10/05/2012 11:52 PMPosted by Langolier

Indeed, it's ridiculous to think that a developer would add a feature to software and then actually use the software to ensure that the feature is working correctly.

LOL exactly.

And the cherry on top of it is that it wasn't "a" feature. It was THE main feature of the whole patch.
10/05/2012 11:55 PMPosted by Mephisto
look no ones make a perfect game thats why every game have patches they fix one problem but the program contradict with anoter alrdy written problem hence a bug so they gotta rewrite it so itll work with both program some how i dont believe your a software programmer

I'm not saying they had to make a perfect game.

Heck, I'm even saying they DIDN'T bug it. That is the whole point - they're outright lying to pretend it was a bug when it wasn't, they had just designed it that way and changed their mind.

Corner case / hidden bugs that depend on various factors and can be triggered by a seemingly unrelated change are what Test Servers are for.

This wasn't the case. This was something that happens 100% of the time and was supposedly behaving 100 times different from what they claim was intended. How could that make any sense?

The question is, why are they lying, instead of just saying they underestimated it and had to balance it after seeing the large-scale effect on the test server?
Edited by Koric#1513 on 10/6/2012 12:00 AM PDT
wait whats the stats on the ring??? to amke it a nerf i never seen one
10/05/2012 11:56 PMPosted by SeeknDestroy
The way I see it Blizz entire testing team is basically the players. They are relying on us to test the game. How pathetic is that? So many bugs are discovered by the players even after 4 months release. Last one with the 2h dual-wielding.

Welcome to the gaming world... it happens a lot.
10/05/2012 11:59 PMPosted by Mephisto
wait whats the stats on the ring??? to amke it a nerf i never seen one

High main stat, a proc that was making the game a 1-shot event, 4 random affixes.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]