Diablo® III

Blizzard just announced they dont testanymore

@johnson

I will nail you up and scream till you bleed " YOU DONT GET IT?! IT IS TAKEN DOWN AND FIXED! IT NEVER WENT LIVE " and " TYPICAL WHINER! ", THAT IS WHAT TEST REALM IS FOR "

I seriously think that no one will ever argue with you with your example of RMAH. Or maybe they might!? " RMAH and the Hell-fire ring are two different subjects!!! You are TROLLING!!!!"

ROARRRRRRRRrrrrrrr...till Captain Jack Sparrow wake up in cold sweat...

" If you can't get your money right, you simply don`t deserve my money. "

Erm, wait, should you ( Blizzard ) apply that practice when you present your game to your consumers as well?
give them a break they like million of code lines and they got pressure from those higher
because we complain something not work right sometime they miss something and that why the public test realm is there also when coding on visual studio or any platform if executing the code work right no error send then the code work. They cant be perfect no human is perfect they try correct everything has fast they can so mistake can happen.
Edited by DarkVision#1417 on 10/6/2012 3:51 PM PDT
The point he is making:

5 minutes could have avoided this problem

or

Blizzard lies.
@Ember, he is saying that Blizzard would and certainlly will ( logically ) tested something as important as AH and RMAH internally with the testing units before releasing it.

They will not allow coding as important to RMAH or AH to have any issues, as these features are not released for testing to the public.

He also said that coding, in no matter what forms,small or big, is easier to be traced, if it is done internally by testing it before releasing, rather than waiting for a mass feedback, because it is time consuming and messy. Because the CM has to process so much data from players.

He also mention that the point is not about the ring itself, but the practices Blizzard adopted to have their systems tested. His explanation can be found in his previous posts.
Edited by Dutchmilk#6229 on 10/6/2012 3:58 PM PDT
10/06/2012 01:09 PMPosted by Ember
Anyone who thinks its possible to make a completely bug free game of this complexity, can't have any experience working in the industry.

Well, let me reference your experience in the industry.

Is it standard practice for a coder to write a block of code and then get that particular block of code to run within the software to ensure that is executes as expected?

Because what we have here is someone wrote the code related to the Hellfire proc to do X-Y damage with a Z% chance to proc. In game what you find is that it actually does 100X - 100Y damage.

This isn't even matter of testing. This is something that should have been caught by the guy who wrote the damn code in the first place.

Of course it was, Blizzard would rather just lie calling it a bug than what it really is - a "nerf" (they can't afford to lose more players with such large nerfs).

I see what you're saying but the problem with your argument is that it has nothing to do with the ring. Anyone who's moaning about the ring itself, doesn't have a clue. The real problem here is what the ring's bug represents: Blizzard's (lack of) genuine testing.

What's your point? Every company ships products with bugs or aren't feature complete. Name one major piece of software that never got patched.
@SeeknDestroy

Finishing the game? It is finishing. ( Dying )

Nah perhaps i made that up. It still alive and kicking. Just that instead of Acts 1 to 4, we have a new Act 5, the forum! Where trolls is aplenty and armed with words.

( O.o )......
@Ember

Obviously I can't prove this - I can only give you my opinion as someone who works as a software developer. Something pretty serious nearly happened with the RMAH though.

Did you hear of the exploit with the AH which related to changing the clock time of your own computer? It worked something like this:

Player A posts an auction.
Player B buys the auction.
Player A sets their computer's clock back to before the auction was purchased.

Player A would now get the gold for the item AND be able cancel the auction to get the item back to do it all over again. It doesn't take much to see the drama this would have caused if it worked on the RMAH.

This type of thing is completely inexcusable on all levels. Time is a very valuable component when dealing with financial transactions. The time component of a transaction should never, ever be modifiable by the client. It should always be processed server-side.
10/06/2012 03:59 PMPosted by Monsta
What's your point? Every company ships products with bugs or aren't feature complete. Name one major piece of software that never got patched.

Obscure bugs are fine. Stupidly obvious bugs are not.
10/06/2012 03:58 PMPosted by Langolier
Anyone who thinks its possible to make a completely bug free game of this complexity, can't have any experience working in the industry.

Well, let me reference your experience in the industry.

Is it standard practice for a coder to write a block of code and then get that particular block of code to run within the software to ensure that is executes as expected?

Maybe they thought as long as it works (in principle) who cares atm about the numbers, its only TEST, so we can easily tweak those number when we like before live?

I worked in QA, not dev, but that would be my take on it.

Probably not relevant in this situation, but if folk are really this upset about the ring.. I hate to burst your bubble, but its also highly unlikely any of their test realms are a true reflection of live (I'm sure you can work out the implication of that yourself) :)
To make it clear: I don't expect perfection and there is certainly an argument to be made for the younger generation being unreasonably demanding in certain aspects. AAA games are hugely complex and are certainly up there with the most complex varieties of software. But doesn't that make this worse? When something is more complex, it's all the more important to follow good standards to produce something of genuine quality.
Yep I'm pro testing ofc, and agree with much said.

I just can't buy into the drama/upset about *the ring*.
Edited by Ember#2795 on 10/6/2012 4:13 PM PDT
Blizzard lies and they don't test their games. I'm more surprised that people did not already know these.
10/06/2012 04:08 PMPosted by Ember
Maybe they thought as long as it works (in principle) who cares atm about the numbers, its only TEST, so we can easily tweak those number when we like before live?

It wasn't even working "in principle". It was coded to do a certain amount of damage - it didn't even do anywhere close to that damage. But just because at least it did some damage it's considered working?

Yeah, let me just design this script to scroll the page down at 3 lines per second. *tests script* Oops, it's scrolling at 3 lines per minute, well at least it scrolls...

Give me a break.

Don't forget that these developers aren't just responsible for creating items/skills that function properly, they are responsible for balancing them. It's like if weapon throw did 18000% damage instead of 180% damage - oops I guess you'll one-hit anything in the game, including other players in PvP - no big deal.

That's not QA testing, that's basic checking to ensure the code matches the design.
Edited by Langolier#1711 on 10/6/2012 4:22 PM PDT
Abstract:
New end-game hellfire ring from uber bosses, the major new feature from the patch, was doing 3 million damage.

You mean from the patch in a Test Realm.

CM just admitted it was a "bug" affecting 100% of the cases and increasing the ring's damage by almost a hundred times - something they didn't notice because they never tried to activate the ring even once before releasing the patch to the public.

You clearly have no idea what you are talking about. They did notice it before releasing. In fact, you just stated that they noticed it and fixed it before its release since the patch is still not released to public yet.

Yeah because thats what all big software companies do, right? Make a huge feature and instead of even checking if it works, send it out to public right away?

Correct. As long as the patch is not officially released. They can put everything they haven't tested to public. So more people can test them before the patch goes to be officially published.

Or maybe what they do is lie to our face and laugh maniacally as they watch the poor gullible people fall for it.

To be honest, even I am laughing maniacally right now at your idiocy.
Yep I'm pro testing ofc, and agree with much said.

I just can't buy into the drama/upset about *the ring*.

Then you clearly have not read the main topic of this thread.

The ring its self is not the problem. But what the ring does is show us what the problem is.

Blizzard for what ever the reason has huge problems when it comes to their Diablo 3 QA team.

What ever that problem is we don't know, but what we do know is that it has drastic problems with what they are doing with this game.

We now have 2 could even say 3 identifiable problems that have been labeled as bugs that are really just human error.

1. Nether Tenticle. It would have taken a person testing less than a second to make a bug report saying nether tenticle hit a target more than once.

2. Trail of Cinders. As was said by a blue the skill information on the website is directly linked to the data in the game. Meaning it was 100% meant to do this damage at start. They just didn't test it to find out what it really did.

3. Hellfire ring. Now this is still on the PTR and the two above problems are probably the major reason for making the PTR. They have some serious problems in the QA/patch department and needed the PTR as a means for stopping these things going live.

How does anyone expect this game to become fun and enjoyable when Blizzard can't even admit to human error or their lack of testing?
10/06/2012 04:06 PMPosted by johnson

Obscure bugs are fine. Stupidly obvious bugs are not.

And yet stupidly obviously bugs and missing features ship in software all the time. Why are you villifying blizzard for a bug that was caught before it even went live into a shipping product??

It wasn't even working "in principle". It was coded to do a certain amount of damage - it didn't even do anywhere close to that damage. But just because at least it did some damage it's considered working?

Give me a break.

I don't know the numbers what were they out of interest?

But yeah to me.. if it was doing a million damage and they wanted its final version to do a thousand.... that just one number that needs changing.

I'd consider that working BUT in need of the final numbers plugging in.

Easily fine to send to TEST (not fine to send to LIVE).
On one hand I agree that since it's the PTR it is no big deal.

On the other Hand I have to say that the PTR is in my opinion there to test if Bugs happen on a 1 in a million case or something like that and not if the basics work.

So a 5 minute test to see if the Ring works and then sending it out to the PTR to see if it does for the other 999.999 people should be mandatory.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]