Diablo® III

Blizzard just announced they dont testanymore

10/06/2012 04:24 PMPosted by eikelKNIGHT
So a 5 minute test to see if the Ring works and then sending it out to the PTR to see if it does for the other 999.999 people should be mandatory.

As you just said it, it's a PTR. It's not like they aren't going to test it either. Don't think players who access to the PTR are the only testers. I'm sure they have their QA testers testing things out while the PTR is up. So like i said, if something is not released yet, you can't really judge the process of what they do is right or wrong because the process is not complete.
We can complain why it takes so long, and why they dont' focus and prioritize things they promise to do first but we can never complain something that is supposed to be going to test or in the process of testing it.
10/06/2012 04:22 PMPosted by Monsta
And yet stupidly obviously bugs and missing features ship in software all the time. Why are you villifying blizzard for a bug that was caught before it even went live into a shipping product??

Please see my older posts in this thread (page 20+). It's about their testing process and not about the bug with the ring. I'm not just calling out Blizzard on this (I've mentioned EA more than once). It's becoming an all-too-common trend and what about the bugs that the player base hasn't found? It's all well and good fixating on a known bug the players have found, but what about everything else?

Do you honestly believe that stupid bugs in software, which are entirely preventable, are acceptable? You will never rid them 100%, this is true, but I see nothing wrong in wanting to raise the bar. Accepting poor standards is far worse than pushing for higher, achievable, standards.

What's the result of accepting poor quality gaming products? Call of Duty 4,025 shipping with 5 maps all directly copied from Call of Duty 4,024. If you're happy with that, then more power to you.

Anyway, it's been nice to not have the usual trolling crap, so thanks, but I'm off to sleep. Good night! :)
I don't know the numbers what were they out of interest?

But yeah to me.. if it was doing a million damage and they wanted its final version to do a thousand.... that just one number that needs changing

So you think that's its reasonable to introduce changes to skills/items in a patch without ensuring that they do the designed amount of damage in the first place? That's just ludicrous.

That's like saying that it would make sense to change sentry in Patch 1.05 to do 175% damage from 40% but there's no need to make sure it is properly doing 175% before putting it in the PTR to test the effects of changing it's damage.

Dev: Jay, if we increase the damage of sentry to 175% from 40% we should be able to increase build diversity.

Jay: Great idea! Have you verified that the skill is does 175% damage in game?

Dev: No.

Jay: No worries, let's live it on the PTR!
Edited by Langolier#1711 on 10/6/2012 4:41 PM PDT
In this video, Blizzard is represented by the news reporter:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cmIGT0IrO_0

Don't you think that maybe they should have tried to see if this works before reporting it on the news?

Don't you think that maybe Blizzard should have tried the new ring before including it in the Patch?
@langolier, In some situations yes I think its perfectly fine to put a patch to TEST, without final numbers (I can think of many times where I worked, and things were sent to a test env, as not the final version, we wanted to release. There are many good reasons for this.

Without knowing the full reasons in this case, why (I can imagine many) I think its silly trying to second guess Blizz and moan about it.

If you have worked in dev or testing or infra, in any similar company and think its crazy to do that... I don't know what to tell you. I guess we must agree to disagree :)

Pretty later over here so I'm off to bed now, nn :)
I don't believe it's a bug - just like ToC case.

That CM was flat out lying.

I worked as software developer once, it's not possible to miss such a blatant mistake in coding in the Ring if you beta-ed your build yourself before releasing it to PTR/Beta servers.

Key note here: blatant mistake.

Now if it's about security bug / exploit, I certainly would have given Blizzard the benefit of the doubt. But this? Nope, sorry.
One of the biggest jokes on this thread is that there are people that are claiming to be software engineers that are acting like they haven't ever written code, tested it and it worked fine, and then when you upload it to a server it behaves completely different. I had this strange problem today when somehow in uploading some updated objects an unrelated object that I didn't upload completely to a prior state. I'm not even sure how or why and on the test system that didn't happen at all. That stuff happens end of discussion. Although, the other thing most programmers know is that if you program everything perfect then you program yourself out of a job. ;)
Again,

1 minor bug should not stop a release when your planning to test the rest of the systems in it.

If the bug was tracked before PTR release, then it was the right call. You have a hundred other things to test, work on the bug for the next cycle.

The only way this would be bad is if the bug was not caught internally. Which would most likely only happen if people changed formulas without retesting stuff that relied on them. There's no way any developer would commit something like the ring being that broken if they were doing developer tests, and there's no reason to believe that they aren't doing developer tests.
10/06/2012 04:40 PMPosted by Buck
There's absolutely no realistic way this was a bug, that is merely PR-speak by the blues trying to duck the heat for yet another nerf. 100%.

I'd be willing to bet anything this is correct but personally I don't care that it got nerfed.

You can't develop a game that millions of people use on a semi-regular basis and release a ring doing "bugged" damage out to the PTR. That is fully admitting that they don't even test a build once before releasing it.

You guys really think they coded the entire infernal machine and monster power along with a ton of class changes and didn't even test it once internally before putting it on the PTR? You think their 2-3 devs committed the changes directly to the PTR? No way, and I'm 100% positive of that.
10/06/2012 05:07 PMPosted by viscrom
There's absolutely no realistic way this was a bug, that is merely PR-speak by the blues trying to duck the heat for yet another nerf. 100%.

I'd be willing to bet anything this is correct but personally I don't care that it got nerfed.

You can't develop a game that millions of people use on a semi-regular basis and release a ring doing "bugged" damage out to the PTR. That is fully admitting that they don't even test a build once before releasing it.

You guys really think they coded the entire infernal machine and monster power along with a ton of class changes and didn't even test it once internally before putting it on the PTR? You think their 2-3 devs committed the changes directly to the PTR? No way, and I'm 100% positive of that.

Explain how stopping a PTR build for a minor bug that does nothing to the rest of the game make sense when, as you've said, you have a hundred other things to test.
Explain how stopping a PTR build for a minor bug that does nothing to the rest of the game make sense when, as you've said, you have a hundred other things to test.

Who says it has to stop it? It should have never reached it.

Make a build, commit it to an internal server. Have QA run through and test the changes/additions made in the patch. If everything is good, move onto the next set of tasks to tackle the next upcoming patch while pushing the latest "internally tested and stable" build to the PTR.

It's impossible for the ring to be bugged and released on the PTR because Blizzard isn't retarded enough to push a build out to the public with absolutely no testing whatsoever internally. No one releases the entire infernal machine system (everything, not just the ring) without having at least a small team play test it thoroughly before the public even sees it.

The entire infernal machine process and bosses and everything associate to it probably went through at least 10 private testing phases with various number tweaks each time until they finally got it where they wanted. Then they released it to the PTR. I wouldn't be surprised if the infernal machine was playable internally 2+ months ago.

If Blizzard did that regularly people would be crashing and having problems 24/7. Right now only a small % of players have reoccurring crashing/problems. If they did 0% internal testing, the number would be closer to 100% of people having problems instead of only maybe 5%.
Edited by viscrom#1983 on 10/6/2012 5:21 PM PDT
Why would i pay a bunch of testers.. When i can get you fools to do it for free.?

This is becoming a common business practice..

Get your product out to the public, let them pay for it, and let them test it themselves..

Any business owner will tell you, you don't make money by hiring people.
Why would i pay a bunch of testers.. When i can get you fools to do it for free.?

This is becoming a common business practice..

Get your product out to the public, let them pay for it, and let them test it themselves..

Any business owner will tell you, you don't make money by hiring people.

Your logic dictates that their PvP build is not being tested at all right now. Your logic says that someone is coding in ~8 months of features and not a single person is ever going to test PvP once until it's released on the PTR.

You have any idea what would happen if this were true? It would be broken for 100% of the people on the PTR and would take months of fixing before it's even in a state where it's ready for a PTR release. Then it would need months of play testing to get the numbers in a good spot.

Pro tip: All of that is happening behind the scenes right now by a testing team. The ring didn't slip though the cracks doing millions of damage.
Edited by viscrom#1983 on 10/6/2012 5:31 PM PDT
Wow, QQ cuz there's a bug on the TEST realm? I'm sure the repercussions for it is going to be so game-breaking when they wipe the servers after the Beta's done... >,<
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]