Diablo® III

Blizzard just announced they dont testanymore

well WW disconnect is still active on test realm..and its worse then on 1.04
10/06/2012 09:41 PMPosted by DamienJohn
Yes, it's a huge bug, it's also a bug that probably didn't present itself during whatever short term internal testing was performed.

What I don't understand is how this gets past ANY internal testing. Any simple test would have shown that the damage was incredibly high.
I'm glad at least quite a few people actually get what this is all about.

I admit I assumed it would be common sense, but within a couple of pages I realized people not from the software industry have a hard time grasping the concept of PTR vs Internal Testing. That is fine.

However if you actually took the time to read at least 2 pages of this thread, there have been more than enough arguments to convince anyone from any field (with adequate reading comprehension) that there is something obviously wrong going on with Blizzard, whether it is not testing their product or just straight out lying to costumers.
10/06/2012 09:41 PMPosted by DamienJohn
Yes, it's a huge bug, it's also a bug that probably didn't present itself during whatever short term internal testing was performed.

That could almost be true if were not for the fact that this so called "bug" happens 100% of the times, on a major component of the patch. How could it have gone unnoticed had they tested it even ONCE?

The question is, was it really a bug?

Or was it working as intended, and they just underestimated it and had to later tune it down after they changed their mind? But instead of openly saying so (as it would generate a lot of nerf rage), they go the easy route with calling it a "bug" so no questions asked.
After the trail of cinders damage calculation "bug" anything is possible. Obviously they aren't testing skills or items in game after implementing them :\
Did it occur to you that they did test it and the fix just didn't make it into the first PTR patch?
10/06/2012 10:05 PMPosted by chrisr
Did it occur to you that they did test it and the fix just didn't make it into the first PTR patch?

That seems to be something you would mention in the PRT Notes. Or should have been fixed prior to the PTR being made public.
A test is a test is a test you cant tell if something is going to be game breaking if only a small group are playing and even if the damage was intended if it wasn't intended to be game breaking it is still technically a bug.

For instance if i had 20 people alone in a small world and each drove a tank everywhere, it could seem that it was no problem for everybody to have a tank. though once i opened the world to thousands of people I would find that everybody having a tank is stupid and world ruining.

the ring may have been fine for a tiny player base but once it hit PTR it was found that you cant have everybody running around with it. A bug is simply a flaw or mistake, meaning that anything that turns out to not work out as planned is as such.
A test is a test is a test you cant tell if something is going to be game breaking if only a small group are playing and even if the damage was intended if it wasn't intended to be game breaking it is still technically a bug.

For instance if i had 20 people alone in a small world and each drove a tank everywhere, it could seem that it was no problem for everybody to have a tank. though once i opened the world to thousands of people I would find that everybody having a tank is stupid and world ruining.

the ring may have been fine for a tiny player base but once it hit PTR it was found that you cant have everybody running around with it. A bug is simply a flaw or mistake, meaning that anything that turns out to not work out as planned is as such.

That makes absolutely no sense in this scenario. If any testing was done (considering the "bug" happened 100% of the time) it would have been immediately obvious if the damage was the amount they intended. Makes no difference if it was done with 1, 5 or 500 people. This goes for ToC also.
Do you have any notion of software development practices? I assume not, but I also assume Blizzard does.

It is simply inconceivable to launch something without even TRYING IT OUT. It doesn't matter if it is a test server - this is the equivalent of, for example, everytime you exit town you instantly die. Everyone. Everytime.

I think you are seriously confused, and this might be your issue: You use the word "launch" as though a public beta test, which is effectively what PTR is, was a launch... I have an MSDN subscription, and when they release new software i get beta builds and release candidates. But these are not releases, they are not "launched" yet.

You cannot participate in a system like PTR and then turn around and complain, it makes you look retarded.

TLDr; treat PTR as Public Beta Test, and don't get so pissy in the future. If you're unable to, avoid PTR.
Edited by Dalamarius#1244 on 10/6/2012 10:37 PM PDT
10/06/2012 10:39 PMPosted by spiderisland
forget it. these fanboys have been brainwashed into accepting such ridiculously shoddy service. its sad, really.

Why has it become cool and informed to use a word like fanboy? You're not even using it right. I criticize this game all the time, that doesn't mean when someone makes a completely invalid point I'm going to just agree with it.
It is almost as if half the people forgot that up until 1.04, we didn't have the PTR.

What would you think the chances might have been that this "bug" would have gone live then?

I'll give a hint: It is the same as the probability for this ring to exhibit the "bugged" damage.
10/06/2012 10:21 PMPosted by Detnyj
That makes absolutely no sense in this scenario. If any testing was done (considering the "bug" happened 100% of the time) it would have been immediately obvious if the damage was the amount they intended. Makes no difference if it was done with 1, 5 or 500 people. This goes for ToC also.

Now i'm not sure of the procrate on the hellfire ring, but let's throw otu some numbers, we'll use my wizard spike with a 31% procrate, a number i consider to be a fairly stout proc chance.

I use skills with about a .25 proc coefficient, so i get procs about 1 in every 15 spell casts. Which to me, is fairly normal. I have absolutely no idea how much dmg my procs do on inferno on trash, because frankly, i kill trash so quick i don't notice something doing extra dmg. The only place this would even be noticeable would be on over mp 7 and with early procs on elites. And even then, i'd say that's fairly easy to overlook.

I'm glad someone got a ring and had a chance to test it before it was released. But what are you complaining about again?
It is almost as if half the people forgot that up until 1.04, we didn't have the PTR.

What would you think the chances might have been that this "bug" would have gone live then?

I'll give a hint: It is the same as the probability for this ring to exhibit the "bugged" damage.

No, if they didn't have PTR, their testing system would have been different. Actually, Under your logic my wizardspike would have been insta killen everything the day 1.0.4 was dropped, and it simply didn't happen. You have no idea how it would have been found out, if it hadn't been discovered in the way it was, and you have absolutely no idea what would have happened on release day. You are just so cynical you think you're right.
10/06/2012 10:45 PMPosted by Dalamarius
But what are you complaining about again?

My major complaint would be the lack of the internal testing done. The Hellfire Ring Scenario had nothing to do with with Proc Rate but the damage it caused. It was causing millions of damage. How could internal testing not have caught that?

Same with things like:

Trail of Cinders
Combination Strike
Pre-1.0.3 Attack Speed

Any kind of internal testing should have caught these problems IF they were unintended.
10/06/2012 10:45 PMPosted by spiderisland
i dont care if you criticize the game. if you think having zero internal testing is okay, that makes you a very bad consumer. youre supposed to hold companies to a higher standard than that, especially big ones like blizzard. fanboy

The reason you're being written off by everyone other than the idiot that started the thread is because you're jumping form one massive bug being discovered to stating that they have absolutely no internal testing.

again, if you don't want to be a tester, don't play on PTR, if you want to sit back and cry about bugs wait til they actually make a mistake and quit acting prophetic.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]