Diablo® III

Blizzard just announced they dont testanymore

10/05/2012 11:59 PMPosted by Koric
This wasn't the case. This was something that happens 100% of the time and was supposedly behaving 100 times different from what they claim was intended. How could that make any sense?

That isn't true, the problem was when the proc triggered a crit the damage was more than they expected. It wasn't dealing out millions in damage every strike. Did you even try it or is this one big troll?
If you are not a programmer you don't understand this problem, when you hear PTR, you automatically assume its for testing.

The simple fact is blizz devs got lazy, they did not follow proper software life cycle. Anyone who ever worked as a coder knows they are cutting corners. Its unacceptable as a programmer or for a company that cares about quality.

But as a company, its also a cost saving measure, if the PTR can catch those bugs, then the devs can afford to be a bit lazy.

Thank god about half the people in this thread have some notion of what is being talked about.

The other half is just... amazing.
ii see that fireball makes it Overpowering
iono the way i see to them it seems like a good idea at first then they found out it was a bad choice
10/06/2012 12:01 AMPosted by DarthSki44
This wasn't the case. This was something that happens 100% of the time and was supposedly behaving 100 times different from what they claim was intended. How could that make any sense?

That isn't true, the problem was when the proc triggered a crit the damage was more than they expected. It wasn't dealing out millions in damage every strike. Did you even try it or is this one big troll?

Where did you get that from?

Because my explanation came directly from the official answer by a blue. Crits were never mentioned - they stated the damage was scaling with your dps/primary stat. Lets see, any lv60 character wearing that ring would have at least 1000 primary stat (after all they were able to farm the ring), making the damage at least 10x higher than their supposed value, this if we dont take any other stat into consideration.

Sooo yeah if they're talking about the regular damage, it is 100% of the cases too...

Perhaps you care a little too much, bud. It was a bug on the public >>TESTING<< realm, don't be a forum idiot/troll.

Or maybe what they do is lie to our face and laugh maniacally as they watch the poor gullible people fall for it.

Let me make it a little more clear: It wasn't a bug, that's the point.
look no ones make a perfect game thats why every game have patches they fix one problem but the program contradict with anoter alrdy written problem hence a bug so they gotta rewrite it so itll work with both program some how i dont believe your a software programmer

I'm not saying they had to make a perfect game.

Heck, I'm even saying they DIDN'T bug it. That is the whole point - they're outright lying to pretend it was a bug when it wasn't, they had just designed it that way and changed their mind.

Corner case / hidden bugs that depend on various factors and can be triggered by a seemingly unrelated change are what Test Servers are for.

The question is, why are they lying, instead of just saying they underestimated it and had to balance it after seeing the large-scale effect on the test server?

That is not necessarily true. The evidence of whether they "lied" has yet to even be answered since the evidence shown is incredibly lacking. Yes, it was a bug, plain and simple. By virtue of it being an unexpected and undesired result, it would be considered a bug. To a degree, it can be seen as a cop-out, but I do not see it as a lie (which is quite a serious accusation). There was an intended result and I do not see a million damage being considered one.

Perhaps you care a little too much, bud. It was a bug on the public >>TESTING<< realm, don't be a forum idiot/troll.

Or maybe what they do is lie to our face and laugh maniacally as they watch the poor gullible people fall for it.

Let me make it a little more clear: It wasn't a bug, that's the point.

I'll make it clearer, it was a "bug".
Edited by Nilrem#1603 on 10/6/2012 12:09 AM PDT
they wrote the code wrong and blaming it as a bug its not a nerf they just fuked up its not a nerf if they didnt even want that kind stuff in the game
10/05/2012 11:59 PMPosted by Koric
The question is, why are they lying, instead of just saying they underestimated it and had to balance it after seeing the large-scale effect on the test server?

You already nailed it, IMO, in that they simply can't afford to lose more players with large nerfs that piss people off so they call them "bugs".

Trail of Cinders - not nerfed, "bug fixed"

Hellfire proc - not nerfed, "bug fixed"

Both examples of clearly OP changes that should have been obvious on paper (or patch notes) and would most definitely be obvious with a little bit of play time. The fact that it went unnoticed by Blizzard makes it clear that they didn't even bother to test them.

You know a game is bad when even the developers don't want to play it.
Not only that, but this is how Blizzard has done the PTR pretty much since I have been playing WoW. D2 they probably didn't care as much cause they knew everyone would mod hack and dupe the crap outta it anyways.

Warhammer Online also has the same sort of thing they do where before they release a patch live they invite some of their players to test the new content.

Dungeons and Dragons Online also has this feature.

This is how many online games do it that I have dealt with. Personally at first I hated the concept too, guess I've just grown used to it.

If you are a programmer and can do better. Do it, if its a good title and looks fun I'll give it a go.

Peace out.
Edited by Ackenlore#1778 on 10/6/2012 12:14 AM PDT
i dont know the balancing of this game it out of control think about you gotta scale it right cuz now we going to have monster power level and such itll be broken if u can 1 hit diablo on MP10 instant farming they have to retain some farming control iono atleast they making it balance
Thanks guys, I've figured it out with your help.

If they admitted it was a nerf, 90% of the forum's raging would come from that.

If instead they pretended it was a bug, only 1% of the raging would come from that, as the original 90% would not be able to relate one thing to the other, and would blindly accept an excuse like that. After all, it is a Test Server, huh? Where they Test things, and find Bugs. Right.

Well played, Blizz.

Edit: inb4 87% of statistics are made up on the spot.
Edited by Koric#1513 on 10/6/2012 12:20 AM PDT
10/06/2012 12:12 AMPosted by Langolier

You already nailed it, IMO, in that they simply can't afford to lose more players with large nerfs that piss people off so they call them "bugs".

Trail of Cinders - not nerfed, "bug fixed"

Hellfire proc - not nerfed, "bug fixed"

Both examples of clearly OP changes that should have been obvious on paper (or patch notes) and would most definitely be obvious with a little bit of play time. The fact that it went unnoticed by Blizzard makes it clear that they didn't even bother to test them.

You know a game is bad when even the developers don't want to play it.

You ninja'd me as I was writing my previous post.

I guess Blizzard knows what they're doing after all. Cut the losses.
imagine that ring on MP6-8 1 hit all elites and champ packs its too broken to keep
10/06/2012 12:20 AMPosted by SeeknDestroy
PTR = Public Testing Realm. Why do you care so much about something that hasn't effected actual gameplay?

Image, perception on the way they fix things. Not very professionnal

+1
Either the way they fix things, or the way they communicate to the player base.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]