Diablo® III

Blizzard just announced they dont testanymore

Thanks guys, I've figured it out with your help.

If they admitted it was a nerf, 90% of the forum's raging would come from that.

If instead they pretended it was a bug, only 1% of the raging would come from that, as the original 90% would not be able to relate one thing to the other, and would blindly accept an excuse like that. After all, it is a Test Server, huh? Where they Test things, and find Bugs. Right.

Well played, Blizz.

Edit: inb4 87% of statistics are made up on the spot.

/facepalm

Yup, Blizzard thought it would be brilliant to make a ring that can crit for some 5 million damage. They intentionally made it so it can do that much damage and than realize, nahhh.. let us nerf that.
Edited by Nilrem#1603 on 10/6/2012 12:24 AM PDT
Wow, a bug is discovered DURING testing and your first reaction is to accuse them of not testing?

Someone's smart.
Thanks guys, I've figured it out with your help.

If they admitted it was a nerf, 90% of the forum's raging would come from that.

If instead they pretended it was a bug, only 1% of the raging would come from that, as the original 90% would not be able to relate one thing to the other, and would blindly accept an excuse like that. After all, it is a Test Server, huh? Where they Test things, and find Bugs. Right.

Well played, Blizz.

Edit: inb4 87% of statistics are made up on the spot.

/facepalm

Yup, Blizzard thought it would be brilliant to make a ring that can crit for some 5 million damage. They intentionally made it so it can do that much damage and than realize, nahhh.. let us nerf that.

Never!

Instead, Blizzard designed a ring. An uber ring, the main feature of a whole new patch and system... but decided to not try it even once to check whether the ring was working, because that is what all companies do when they have a PTR - a place designed to give the players first-hand testing, even before the developers can test.

/facepalm

Never!

Instead, Blizzard designed a ring. An uber ring, the main feature of a whole new patch and system... but decided to not try it even once to check whether the ring was working, because that is what all companies do when they have a PTR - a place designed to give the players first-hand testing, even before the developers can test.

My question is to you, do you believe they intentionally made it so it could do 5 million damage or not? Pretty straightforward question.
It takes 5 minutes to get a Hellfire Ring to drop?!?!?!

yay, finally gonna get some goodies!

... what are public test realms for?

To find real bugs that aren't 100% reproducible, don't take 5 minutes to find, aren't a major feature of the patch, and aren't in the patch notes.

I was pretty disgusted at Trail Of Cinders being called a "bug", I wouldn't have even cared otherwise, it sucked. Now the Hellfire ring? I'll probably never have the ring, I don't care about the damage, but referring to obvious oversight and choosing ridiculous numbers as "bugs" insults my intelligence.

I thought it'd be pretty hard to lose anymore respect for Blizzard after butchering D3, but this is a pretty good way.
So, OP is pissed cuz he could not prove some of that hellfireness jazz, or cuz he did and felt his e-peen growing, then discover all and now he feels blizzard trolled him??
smh at everyone that buys games and doesn't have any experience with software development at all. I wish all code jobs were as easy as it seems at blizzard

"hey guys we need this ring, write the code up. no need to make sure your code is working, just inject it in to this server and hope for the best"

silly

Never!

My question is to you, do you believe they intentionally made it so it could do 5 million damage or not? Pretty straightforward question.

Yes. They just didn't properly calculate the upper bound on the damage, and then they realized it was too strong and nerfed it.

It is a lot more plausible than assuming they missed something that happens 100% of the time. Again, the "bug" as they claim is not on criticals, it is on every single hit.

Now the forum thinks developers farm their items, too? Wow.
As my name suggests, I was a video game tester.

There are multiple points where the devs test new features/implementations even before a tester gets it, let alone a public test server.

Designer comes up with a feature/item, whatever. This has a VERY specific set of rules and guidelines to it.

This goes to a programmer, who codes it. (Other chip in with the possible animations/sfx/art it needs)

The programmer then runs a local build to see if it is working.

The designer (usually) plays that build to see if their idea has worked out as they intended, if not, they make changes and repeat the process.

At a certain time, day or for a specific reason, a build is made for the testers.
The testers then make sure the build works, and that all the new features added work as intended (they receive a updated GDD, game design document). They then try and break those features, the game, and continue to find bugs and exploits throughout the whole game.

If the QA lead approves that build, it then goes to the next level, which in this case seems likely to be the PTR server.

So either the entire dev team was happy with the way the ring was functioning, or they did not test it/test it properly at any stage before releasing to PTR.
Edited by QARocks#6390 on 10/6/2012 12:36 AM PDT
10/06/2012 12:19 AMPosted by Mephisto
imagine that ring on MP6-8 1 hit all elites and champ packs its too broken to keep

Obviously, right?

Now ask yourself why Blizzard didn't notice it? They designed the item. They added it as the ultimate reward for the major new feature in 1.05. Don't you think that they, oh I don't know... maybe defeated the Ubers at least once and used the item at least once before creating the patch?

Therefore, the problem isn't that Blizzard had a bug on the PTR. The problem is that something is very seriously wrong that this bug went unnoticed as long as it did. There's a couple of possibilities of how this might happen:

1) They didn't play the game to test the changes they make work as intended. Like, at all. You don't have to play much to discover that something isn't working as intended when it doesn't work as intended 100% of the time.

2) They did play and found the hellfire proc was working as intended and didn't think it was problematic that it was doing such inordinate damage. Later, of course, they realized how stupid it was and decided to nerf it, but instead of calling it a nerf, they lied to you and said it was just a bug.

Which scenario would you prefer, because they both sound quite incompetent to me.
And to sum up!

OP, do you even know the meaning of lie?
Cuz I guess what blizzard did in that case was a mistake, an error. Not a lie.
smh at everyone that buys games and doesn't have any experience with software development at all. I wish all code jobs were as easy as it seems at blizzard

"hey guys we need this ring, write the code up. no need to make sure your code is working, just inject it in to this server and hope for the best"

silly

I actually laughed imagining that quote coming out of their mouth lol! +1

... what are public test realms for?

To find real bugs that aren't 100% reproducible, don't take 5 minutes to find, aren't a major feature of the patch, and aren't in the patch notes.

I was pretty disgusted at Trail Of Cinders being called a "bug", I wouldn't have even cared otherwise, it sucked. Now the Hellfire ring? I'll probably never have the ring, I don't care about the damage, but referring to obvious oversight and choosing ridiculous numbers as "bugs" insults my intelligence.

I thought it'd be pretty hard to lose anymore respect for Blizzard after butchering D3, but this is a pretty good way.

Yeah, they managed to swipe Trail of Cinders under the carpet for being a side-change on the patch... but not this one, it was THE change of the patch.
Something can't be nerfed if it wasn't ever released. I can't believe there is 4 page thread arguing on the semantics of the bug, oversight, OP whatever ring.

To say that anything can/should be released with no bugs or mechanic not work as intended is outrageous, and to call any dev a lazy liar for not catching it is beyond even the worst D3 forum trolls.

TL:DR for the last 4 pages for those now reading:

OP was mad a lazy dev didn't catch that hellfire was dealing too much damage before it was made available on the PTR. He then thinks there is a conspiracy to conceal this oversight as a bug because the community hates nerfs on a test realm.
I do think the OP has a point to a degree .... even if only PTR still ...

I mean the ring is a major item for this patch, if any of the devs would have atually played the game with it, and saw the 5m+ procs .... the whole bug/nerf debate would not have happened ...

I guess why spend dev time ... when we will do it for free ...
To those telling it was a bug:

Hellfire proc was not working with WW\Sprint tornadoes.

A 25k proc for a player who can beat uberbosses is absolutely nothing, so why do you think it wasn't working?

Yes. They just didn't properly calculate the upper bound on the damage, and then they realized it was too strong and nerfed it.

It is a lot more plausible than assuming they missed something that happens 100% of the time. Again, the "bug" as they claim is not on criticals, it is on every single hit.

Now the forum thinks developers farm their items, too? Wow.

Ok, so you find that it is most believable that Blizzard wished for a ring to be able to do 5 million damage to be released but at the same time, although it was intentional, they did not properly calculate it... So it is not considered a bug...

Yup, it sounds a lot more plausible. So, intentional while unforeseen... makes sens.
From the PTR forums:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6794350883

Abstract:
New end-game hellfire ring from uber bosses, the major new feature from the patch, was doing 3 million damage.

CM just admitted it was a "bug" affecting 100% of the cases and increasing the ring's damage by almost a hundred times - something they didn't notice because they never tried to activate the ring even once before releasing the patch to the public.

Yeah because thats what all big software companies do, right? Make a huge feature and instead of even checking if it works, send it out to public right away?

Or maybe what they do is lie to our face and laugh maniacally as they watch the poor gullible people fall for it.

I think you're missing the point.....Hmmm pay testers......NAH I"D RATHER LET TEH NERDS FIGURE !@#$ OUT FOR FREE.....ITS CALLED THE PUBLIC TEST REALM FOR A REASON.....
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]