Diablo® III

Blizzard just announced they dont testanymore

I do think the OP has a point to a degree .... even if only PTR still ...

I mean the ring is a major item for this patch, if any of the devs would have atually played the game with it, and saw the 5m+ procs .... the whole bug/nerf debate would not have happened ...

I guess why spend dev time ... when we will do it for free ...

Thank you, you are proof that even people not from the software industry can grasp this concept.

For a moment I was starting to believe it wasn't possible, and that what I once assumed to be common sense, was in fact something to be learned in college.
From the PTR forums:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6794350883

Abstract:
New end-game hellfire ring from uber bosses, the major new feature from the patch, was doing 3 million damage.

CM just admitted it was a "bug" affecting 100% of the cases and increasing the ring's damage by almost a hundred times - something they didn't notice because they never tried to activate the ring even once before releasing the patch to the public.

Yeah because thats what all big software companies do, right? Make a huge feature and instead of even checking if it works, send it out to public right away?

Or maybe what they do is lie to our face and laugh maniacally as they watch the poor gullible people fall for it.

A single item in a sea of items is NOT a "huge feature".

Mountains out of mole hills.
From the PTR forums:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6794350883

Abstract:
New end-game hellfire ring from uber bosses, the major new feature from the patch, was doing 3 million damage.

CM just admitted it was a "bug" affecting 100% of the cases and increasing the ring's damage by almost a hundred times - something they didn't notice because they never tried to activate the ring even once before releasing the patch to the public.

Yeah because thats what all big software companies do, right? Make a huge feature and instead of even checking if it works, send it out to public right away?

Or maybe what they do is lie to our face and laugh maniacally as they watch the poor gullible people fall for it.

A single item in a sea of items is NOT a "huge feature".

Mountains out of mole hills.

And the oblivion-prize goes to you. Congratulations!

Good night now
[quote][quote]
My question is to you, do you believe they intentionally made it so it could do 5 million damage or not? Pretty straightforward question.

If Blizzard intentionaly made the ring to crit 5 million damage then it is not a bug. AKA Blue post is LYING.

OR, if it is indeed a bug then Blizz just FAILED BIG TIME with the internal testing. Such GIGANTIC error should have been spotted the first minute the load up the ring and fire the first shot. How long has PTR been up already? It took them THIS LONG to figure out it is a bug?

Really, is it that hard for you to understand?
Edited by Cleric#6355 on 10/6/2012 12:51 AM PDT
I guess this still has to be made simplier still. Ok, let's try this:

There are only two possiblities: the inordinately high damage of the Hellfire proc was either a bug or it was by design.

1) If it was a bug, then Blizzard no longer plays their own game to ensure that the features/changes even work properly (let alone are balanced properly).

2) If it was by design, then they didn't play enough to determine that the feature was well balanced (which obviously it wasn't). Furthermore, they would lying by saying that they were fixing a bug as opposed to nerfing the damage.

So, which would you prefer? Blizzard either doesn't playtest the game or they lie to you.
[quote][quote]
My question is to you, do you believe they intentionally made it so it could do 5 million damage or not? Pretty straightforward question.

If Blizzard intentionaly made the ring to crit 5 million damage then it is not a bug. AKA Blue post is LYING.

OR, if it is indeed a bug then Blizz just FAILED BIG TIME with the internal testing. Such GIGANTIC error should have been spotted the first minute the load up the ring and fire the first shot. How long has PTR been up already? It took them THIS LONG to figure out it is a bug?

Really, is it that hard for you to understand?

I am confused by your post; I think you potentially did not get the point of my post, oblivious to its entirety, or did not read the conversation as a whole. Your post is borderline pointless of aimed at me lol. Koric already failed miserably so not sure what your point was in making that reply.

There are only two possiblities: the inordinately high damage of the Hellfire proc was either a bug or it was by design.

1) If it was a bug, then Blizzard no longer plays their own game to ensure that the features/changes even work properly (let alone are balanced properly).

2) If it was by design, then they didn't play enough to determine that the feature was well balanced (which obviously it wasn't). Furthermore, they would lying by saying that they were fixing a bug as opposed to nerfing the damage.

So, which would you prefer? Blizzard either doesn't playtest the game or they lie to you.

Your first point is still too broad. It is making a clear assumption on the working on Blizzard. With what has been presented, it boils down to;

1) Blizzard intentionally created the ring so it could so 5 million damage (in mind) and later decided to nerf it calling it a bug (which would be a lie)

2) Blizzard created the ring intentionally for it to do an attack of X nature for which it had an unforeseen outcome which constitutes it being a bug.

All the rest, concerning the testing and all that is near baseless and presumptuous that which bogs down the rest of the topic. We just do not know whether or not they tested or it to what degree; this ring is insufficient in deciding that.
Edited by Nilrem#1603 on 10/6/2012 1:03 AM PDT

Ok help me here. They fixed it already in a test realm, so play testing doesn't really matter. Whenever it got fixed what difference does it make?

If Blizzard does lie about it, only because these forums are insane and the mere mention of a nerf cases near cataclysmic drama, how does this affect you in any way?

Literally tell me, if you think Blizzard lied to you about the Hellfire ring, how does this affect you.
100 Night Elf Hunter
I guess in the OP's world human error doesn't exist.
Yep. It's definitely a nerf, not a bug. There's no way a bug like this can go through the development phase. You compile your code, make a build, run it on a local machine, run some debug script to add the ring to your character, and check whether the proc does whatever it's intended to do. No way they couldn't notice the 5million damage if it's not intended.

People who post "it's PTR blah blah blah" imply that no one in Blizzard has actually played the game after they modified the code. Gamers these days lack any sort of common sense. It's !@#$king embarrassing.
10/06/2012 01:00 AMPosted by DarthSki44

Ok help me here. They fixed it already in a test realm, so play testing doesn't really matter. Whenever it got fixed what difference does it make?

If Blizzard does lie about it, only because these forums are insane and the mere mention of a nerf cases near cataclysmic drama, how does this affect you in any way?

Literally tell me, if you think Blizzard lied to you about the Hellfire ring, how does this affect you.

If you can't see the problem with someone A) lying to you or B) providing you with a product without ensuring that it works in the way that they claim, then I can do nothing for you. Good luck to you, kid.
If you can't see the problem with someone A) lying to you or B) providing you with a product without ensuring that it works in the way that they claim, then I can do nothing for you. Good luck to you, kid.

Not a kid, try getting out of the basement and helping your Vitamin D problem. If you think you can go through life without your boss, your GF/Wife, your kids, the gov't, the salesman, lying to you good luck brah. My brother, a lawyer, literally lies for a living.

Point is if you let someone lying to you affect your life, you will miss out on everything else. Get over it.

And its probably not even true in this case.
100 Night Elf Hunter
10/06/2012 01:05 AMPosted by Tentacle

So basically you are saying its ok for blizzard to lie to you and treat you like a 5 yr old?

Congratulations for being in blizzard's target demographics.

I think you're truly making a mountain out of a molehill.

And to all the QA and software people: you've never had something you've programmed and tested blow up on you when released out into the wild--and then have someone else point out the very obvious flaw that you somehow missed?

If you say no, then either you've been incredibly lucky or you're not being truthful.
10/06/2012 01:07 AMPosted by Langolier

A) That would suck but I do not believe that to be the case

B) It has not gone live... if it had gone live and was this disastrous, then could complain.

There have been severe bug ridden patches released for an array of games, it has happened and will still happen. Also, try to avoid sounding so childish in your response next time; it loses its merit when done in that manner.
1) Blizzard intentionally created the ring so it could so 5 million damage (in mind) and later decided to nerf it calling it a bug (which would be a lie)

2) Blizzard created the ring intentionally for it to do an attack of X nature for which it had an unforeseen outcome which constitutes it being a bug.

Actually, it's neither because in both cases you describe it as an intentional change. Instead of arguing what is or is not considered a "bug", I'll just quote the CM:

The ring's proc damage was incorrectly scaling with a player's primary stats and weapon damage, which it was never designed to do

The CM clearly states that the feature was working unintentionally (by scaling with primary stat) and not that it was an unforseen consequence to an intentional feature.

Blizzard says it was a bug. Big deal, bugs happen. It got found in the PTR, why are you trying to make this out to be a some sort of conspiracy? Like other companies dont have bugs in their software?

Actually, it's neither because in both cases you describe it as an intentional change. Instead of arguing what is or is not considered a "bug", I'll just quote the CM:

The ring's proc damage was incorrectly scaling with a player's primary stats and weapon damage, which it was never designed to do

The CM clearly states that the feature was working unintentionally (by scaling with primary stat) and not that it was an unforseen consequence to an intentional feature.

I do not think you read what I said properly. I will describe it to you so you understand. The ring was designed with this proc in mind, that it has a chance to launch a ball of hellfire. This would be considered the "intentional" portion of it. So, they "intentionally" designed a ring to have that proc and attack.

Which is why I said, "Blizzard created the ring intentionally for it to do an attack of X nature for which it had an unforeseen outcome which constitutes it being a bug." Meaning it had an intentional ability that ended up with an unintentional result (making it a bug). The X could be replaced with ball of hellfire if need be.
10/06/2012 01:28 AMPosted by Tentacle
Blizzard had a whole team. An entire team f'ing up like that is unacceptable. And should reap the fallout.

Even if you believe this, there is no fallout from a PTR.
10/06/2012 01:25 AMPosted by Nilrem
Which is why I said, "Blizzard created the ring intentionally for it to do an attack of X nature for which it had an unforeseen outcome which constitutes it being a bug." Meaning it had an intentional ability that ended up with an unintentional result (making it a bug). The X could be replaced with ball of hellfire if need be.

So what exactly is your point? The CM already clearly stated that it was unintentionally doing too much damage, not that it was doing the intended amount of damage that lead to an unintentional result.
Edited by Langolier#1711 on 10/6/2012 1:39 AM PDT
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]