Diablo® III

Blizzard just announced they dont testanymore

10/06/2012 01:56 AMPosted by Kadderly

To all the people saying this...it's not like it's the first time it happened. ToC was released bugged.

Could've easily been caught, but was released anyways. so !@#$ already

Oh I know they said ToC was "bugged." The thing is though we all signed up to a test server. Anything in that state of the game is a test and anyone who thinks anything in that state is final is fooling themselves.

Still... ToC was a bug.. LoL

The point is, it's a lazy mistake that could've easily been caught.

For the hellfire ring they have the PTR bs to hide behind.
so let me get this straight you want blizzard to do a full test on all items and every thing before releasing it ? yes?

so blizzard decides hey lets bring out PTR (that stand for public TEST realm) so that thousands of actual players can help us find out mistakes and give us tips to improve the game in a positive way that they would like.

Because even hundreds of us would probably find things faster then say 20 devs testing and trying to sort through it

had this gone live and they said they didnt test it (dh toc) thats one thing but it was never live it was always on the PTR which by the way looks like it works fairly well as they have been able to find bugs like this and other stuff and fix them before they go live so people can spend mass money on gear only to complain when a hotfix comes out in 2 days after release of a bug that big ...

so please realize that PTR is just that a TEST realm to test things or ensure that the developers didnt miss any thing. Because im sure you have never made a mistake or any thing like that (especially if you spend all day staring at code)
Edited by FiSH#1988 on 10/6/2012 2:01 AM PDT
10/06/2012 01:44 AMPosted by Langolier
In this context, how would you explain that such an obvious bug wasn't corrected before the feature was included in a patch?

Thing is, I cannot explain with full conviction since there is insufficient information. We do not know with certainty the process by which Blizzard tests, uses PTR, or any of that. Many have claimed some form of conclusion but it has been based loosely on circumstantial evidence at best.
View profile
From the PTR forums:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6794350883

Abstract:
New end-game hellfire ring from uber bosses, the major new feature from the patch, was doing 3 million damage.

CM just admitted it was a "bug" affecting 100% of the cases and increasing the ring's damage by almost a hundred times - something they didn't notice because they never tried to activate the ring even once before releasing the patch to the public.

Yeah because thats what all big software companies do, right? Make a huge feature and instead of even checking if it works, send it out to public right away?

Or maybe what they do is lie to our face and laugh maniacally as they watch the poor gullible people fall for it.

Oh and every major gaming company perfectly test everything and releases bug free patches and issues.

I have news for you NCsoft had many issues where it released whole issues with minor bugs that were annoying. It released them with the same annoying bug that I found for more than four straight issues. The game was called City of Heroes. It was a bug when you had the fly power active while zoning. Your character would shake like they were in an earthquake.

Blizz no doubt has the same problems as any other company. I say it is better that this bug is found on the PTR and squashed before it hits the live server. So having a PTR to test things is far better than not having one. Please do not complain,
10/06/2012 01:51 AMPosted by Ryaskybird
Unacceptable? Why? How did this affect you?

You do realize that the people that seemingly didn't realize that the item was doing a minimum of 10x the damage it was supposed to be doing are responsible for balancing this game? It doesn't really instill confidence when they don't notice something is doing 1800% weapon damage instead of 180% weapon damage.

Oh I know they said ToC was "bugged." The thing is though we all signed up to a test server. Anything in that state of the game is a test and anyone who thinks anything in that state is final is fooling themselves.

Still... ToC was a bug.. LoL

The point is, it's a lazy mistake that could've easily been caught.

For the hellfire ring they have the PTR bs to hide behind.

Then the PTR did it's job? They are throwing out ideas, giving us the opportunity to play it, and if it isn't working, nerf it. This much better than:

Release patch note: Vault - ToC - Increase damage 1500%

And then nerf it (lulz a bug).

At least anything that happens at this point is on a test server (which I don't even bother with) and not pulling a rug out from under me saying "no it's a bug."
Edited by Kadderly#1572 on 10/6/2012 2:07 AM PDT
100 Night Elf Hunter

What makes you think that the person responsible for the testing hasn't been reprimanded?

Because this is not the first time It had happened.
ToC?

And it's the same person who tested both?

You don't know what has happened internally with Blizzard--and you'll probably never know. And again, it doesn't affect you. It doesn't affect anyone. It's all drama and posturing and a tempest in a teapot.

10/06/2012 02:05 AMPosted by Langolier
Unacceptable? Why? How did this affect you?

You do realize that the people that seemingly didn't realize that the item was doing a minimum of 10x the damage it was supposed to be doing are responsible for balancing this game? It doesn't really instill confidence when they don't notice something is doing 1800% weapon damage instead of 180% weapon damage.

In my career, I've seen knowledgeable professionals make mistakes. Heck, I've made them myself. And I bet anything that you've made them too. Mistakes happen. And to claim incompetence because of a bug that didn't even make it live is truly blowing things all out of proportion.
Edited by Bird#1227 on 10/6/2012 2:23 AM PDT
everytime you exit town you instantly die.

no, it's not.

Try programming for yourself; it's really easy to make assumptions about games and their programmers. Go out and try modifying a game where the source code is available and see how that goes. Do you go outside an instantly die? No you don't and I'm sure that's a programming mistake that's easier to make then what's occurring on PTR.

Well, I've spend lots of time with UT3's source code and take ages testing each change I make.
Although if you start going on a bigger scale where time is involved you can't afford to test everything anymore (you can just try and make as few errors as possible), and start shifting your focus on testing only when you really need to in order to save time. This is when smaller errors like 0.1 instead of 0.01 starts to happen which can make a big difference if it relates to a percentage.
That's why feedback is so important to modders working on bigger projects.
Edited by Techies#1508 on 10/6/2012 2:12 AM PDT
10/06/2012 02:01 AMPosted by Nilrem
In this context, how would you explain that such an obvious bug wasn't corrected before the feature was included in a patch?

Thing is, I cannot explain with full conviction since there is insufficient information. We do not know with certainty the process by which Blizzard tests, uses PTR, or any of that. Many have claimed some form of conclusion but it has been based loosely on circumstantial evidence at best.

I'm not asking you to explain Blizzard's methods. I'm simply asking you to consider the process by which this MUST have happened and making sure you agree that it's reasonable. So either go back to my post, think critically, and answer the questions I posed, or be content being spoonfed by Blizzard PR. It's up to you.
10/06/2012 02:01 AMPosted by FiSH
so please realize that PTR is just that a TEST realm to test things or ensure that the developers didnt miss any thing.

Finding out the proc on the ring was not working as intended would take little effort on their part. The fact that they missed it shows that they don't test much, if at all.

ToC should've never made it out in 1.04 the way it did and the Hellfire proc should've been caught by them not us.

We pick up the bugs that are hard to find, not obvious !@#$ like 5 million fukking crits.

Blizzard is busting nuts all over your face and you're just gobbling it all up.
I'm not mad blizzard lied, that's expected like the people at best buy.
Blizzard lied, woopie doooo, its not news, nor is it the end of the world.
What I don't do is defend them blindly saying its ok that they lied.

Learn the distinction. When you say its ok that they lied to you, you care cheapening yourself

There is a distinction. No one says its ok if they lied. And no one said you shouldn't care. What we said is you have 2 choices. Move on, or be so offended you quit and boycott blizzard. Just qqing about it doesn't do anything but annoy everyone else that has "moved on"

This would be no different than if you found out your GF was lying to you. You confront her and she admits to lying. You can either forgive her and get over it, or you can decide she isn't for you anymore. Complaining to all your friends she is a liar doesn't do any good, and probably annoys them, then ends up making you look like the fool.
he is just mad cuz he cant just be naked with a ring on and troll through the game 1shotting everything, dang he must be so bummed! now he actually needs to get real gear =( poor guy.

I'm not mad blizzard lied, that's expected like the people at best buy.
Blizzard lied, woopie doooo, its not news, nor is it the end of the world.
What I don't do is defend them blindly saying its ok that they lied.

Learn the distinction. When you say its ok that they lied to you, you cheapening yourself.

Cheapening myself... it's a freaking video game. lol, what a drama queen!!
Edited by Monsta#1979 on 10/6/2012 2:15 AM PDT
With people like you the game has no reason to get any better. You just take what they give you without complaining. It's not like it's their first ever mistake on D3 ...
And your analogies are really bad

So instead of quitting you prefer to qq all day long. Great suggestion.
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]