Diablo® III

RUBY IN HELM vs. PARAGON LEVELS vs. MPlvl

Someone posted in another thread with a comment relating to this topic, which got me thinking:

Is there a point when you might want to drop your XP Ruby in favour of more life or MF via an Amethyst or Topaz? Of course, 31% is 31% no matter how much bonus you're getting from static paragon levels, but maybe some people feel like the benefit becomes less important in an intangible kind of way. Then again, at higher MP lvls, with higher base XP, the % increased XP gain gets even better.

Thoughts?

(Assuming you bothered to use a Ruby in the first place, and also assuming that you have enough defensive stats where the gem you use is a free choice, not a necessity).
Reply Quote
You should be running the highest possible MP where you can maintain perma wotb and whites die in about a single pass. At such a difficulty you would be using a ruby unless youve built your character into a glass barbarian. Mf is non factor because each mplvl grants 25 and the difference between 400 and 475 is marginal.

This optimal point is truef for all patches, 05 just allows you to modulate it for any dps range.
Reply Quote
I stuck an amethyst in my helm for PTR MP10 and then forgot to remove it. Back in the regular game, I gained a few Paragon levels in what felt like a fairly short amount of game play before I noticed I didn't have the ruby. I haven't gone back because subjectively I feel like I'm leveling fast enough.

The stuff Lorenze says above clinches it for me. I'm not screwing around with MF gear or rubies anymore. Bring the MP!
Reply Quote
faster leveling gets you to more magic find.

Answer= EXP gem ALWAYS unless your doing a specific boss fight then you go HP gem for that battle
Reply Quote
I agree about the MF (and personally, even though I know exactly how MF works, I prefer to just run with DPS and defensive stats and let the passive MF from paragon and soon-to-be MP levels work).

I also checked the math a bit, and even for a mid-level barb who is having defensive trouble in, say, MP5, the 9% additional XP per mob does not even compare to getting 31%. Thus, it would never be worth switching to amethyst from ruby from an XP perspective. The only time would be if you somehow could only go from MP0 to MP1 with ~15% more life, since the boost to XP from 0-1 is 70%. That might be the case for some barbs who are struggling in Act 2 or whatever.
Edited by Jashugan#1685 on 10/11/2012 10:13 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I'm running a topaz; because, I want max magic find. When 1.05 releases I will revert to using my ruby; because, each mp grants 25% more mf.
Reply Quote
anyone know what + bonus item means?

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/7540457/Monster_Power_More_Guts_More_Glory-10_11_2012
Reply Quote
MP level MF does not contribute to the cap. Thus, you will still need to use your topaz if you want to have true max MF.
Reply Quote
10/11/2012 10:22 AMPosted by Lorenze
anyone know what + bonus item means?

Sounds like every mob has a random chance of dropping an item, and on Inferno, depending on the MP lvl, IF that mob droppped an item, you get a % chance of it dropping a second item. Therefore, on MP10, if a mob drops an item, you will 100% get 2 items. However, I'm pretty sure it doesn't apply unless they get the first random drop, otherwise every.single.trash.mob would drop something which would be insane, even if that would just be 12 potions in a pile.
Reply Quote
Like Lorenze said. EXP gain for sure during regular farming run. I may decide to swap out ruby for an amethyst on mp 10 key runs but that remains to be seen.
Reply Quote
@Jashugan

While what you said is true. Once I have enough paragon levels that I reach max mf without a topaz. I will forgo the topaz for a ruby.
Reply Quote
getting MF in gear is a fu.cking waste... don't be a hoe-mo
Edited by JMT#1329 on 10/11/2012 10:46 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Like Lorenze said. EXP gain for sure during regular farming run. I may decide to swap out ruby for an amethyst on mp 10 key runs but that remains to be seen.

What's cool about the recent Blizz post on MP levels is that they have officially confirmed that the drop rate for Keys and Organs is linear, going from 10%-100%.

That means that farming for them at MP9 is almost guaranteed but would take a lot less effort than on MP10. Of course if you are steamrolling MP10 with no chance of failure then that's awesome, but for us mere mortals, I'd totally take the 1/10 chance of it not dropping to be able to run it in maybe 2/3rds the time :)
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]