Diablo® III

Hellfire nerf official explanation

(Locked)

Quoted from Lylirra:
It was actually a bug fix. The ring's proc damage was incorrectly scaling with a player's primary stats and weapon damage, which it was never designed to do. While we agree it was pretty sweet to see your characters do millions of damage in a single hit, no other Legendary procs scale this way -- and that's intended.

(http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6794230705#5)

Really? REALLY?

So you're telling us that NO ONE, no developer, no QA tester, no one in the whole company tried to proc the ring even ONCE before releasing the patch? a 1000% bugged factor isnt exactly that hard to spot. What's next, you're sending us a patch with compilation error??

What's with all the lies? Where's all the "polishing" and "Releasing when it is ready"?

Are you feeding us patches that no one in the company even tested? Or are you straight-out lying to our faces? Your call, those are the only possible choices now.
It's called a Pre-TEST Realm for finding bugs. It's not the LIVE servers.

REALLY yes.
Darron this was obviously knee-jerk reaction to the majority of ppl with 50k dps freaking out over something they dont understand. Fact is, at mp10 monsters have millions of hp, tbh the ring wasnt game breaking.

AND THEY COULD JUST SCALE PROPERlY,

instead of nerfing it into the ground.

But you just dont get it, do you? I got it twice and i didnt think it was overpowered. But thats cause i crit for 2m, so its all relative. I just farmed a bit faster, but elites still took a while and i still died.

There is no question this is a lie and they are backpeddling cause ppl with no gear have nothing better to do than complain. Its sad really, this decision is both lazy and illconceived.

They just took away your endgame and tou dont even get it. Might as well let us sell them now since they crappier than soj, skullgrasp, littany, nats, pox, OR ANY RARE WITH GOOD ROLL.
Pre-TEST doesn't mean "lets not even test what our changes did and lets let the players figure out".

Pre-TEST means "ok we think this is good, lets see how it goes, and it might need adjustments"

You seriously believe that a test server is justification for any game company to implement a major mechanic and never try it internally before releasing to the public? And risk being ridiculed? Well, that's what just happened apparently
What part of a test realm do you not comprehend? Test realms are for finding and squashing bugs as well as buffing and nerfing skills BEFORE it gets to live.

There was and is no lie.

It's already been said multiple times that the best Hellfire is as good as the best 1.05 rare ring.
What part of a test realm do you not comprehend? Test realms are for finding and squashing bugs as well as buffing and nerfing skills BEFORE it gets to live.

There was and is no lie.

It's already been said multiple times that the best Hellfire is as good as the best 1.05 rare ring.

In any software development process, it is the responsibility of the developer to adequately test their new changes/features before releasing even a beta version to their customers. This "bug" would have been discovered had they tested using the ring even ONCE; it's not some obscure corner case. This means there are two possibilities:

1) Blizzard lied and the Hellfire Ring's old proc was intended originally

2) Blizzard failed to commit to even the most basic testing procedure

Either way, this reeks of irresponsibility.

There was and is no lie.

I'm not talking about the change itself. I'm not arguing whether it should or not be nerfed.

I'm arguing we should not be LIED TO.

What part of _thinking_ do you not comprehend?

A bug that affects 100% of the activations of the main feature of the patch? Not a tiny one, a major bug that simply makes it 10~50 times stronger and can be noticed with as little as using the ring ONCE?

This is not the type of "bug" that you use the test-realm to find. This wasn't a bug, it is simply inconceivable. But instead of giving us an explanation, or even saying "yeah it was too overpowered, we had to tune it down". No, they go the easy route with "oops, bug!".

Trail of Cinders? Yeah, you could almost use that card there, once in a lifetime, because it was 1 skill in a patch with tons of changes. Oops, forgot to test it! But the one main change of a whole patch? Yeah right
Edited by Koric#1513 on 10/5/2012 9:52 PM PDT
Next thing you know, once the patch goes live, they'll stealth-nerf some other "bug":

Suddenly, the uber bosses get a 100x increased hp, and people are like "what the hell, why is it taking so long to kill them?"

And Blizzard-copter comes along: "It was actually a bug-fix! They were never designed to have 100x less HP, they were spawning bosses from Normal instead of Inferno, but we never tested it! Tee-hee!"
Lol, this other thread hit the jackpot:

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6794210658

The title is almost a premonition of the outstanding revelation that Blizzard no longer tests.

There was and is no lie.

Basic probability would tell you rolling a trifecta on a rare is easier than on hellfire. Who cares about the main stat? Why do you think top wd's wear tal rasha chest...

And who said that, again? Einstein? Jay wilson? Or some forum dumbass, like you.

You just dont get it, end of story. The nerf was unnecessary. Period. And this isnt even about whats better, rare or hellfire, its about endgame, and having something to strive for. For most endgame players a .000000000000000001 chance at getting an amazing ring aint it.

Especially with what you have to go through to get it, which you never did.

Spot on. What is the point of doing a 2-3(maybe even more for the average geared player)hour run for a ring that has a SLIGHT better chance for rolling the exact same stats as any rare or great legendary/set ring. Who would wanna take their chances over and over on that, rather than just do a normal farm - whenever you find a ring there, the chances are just about the same, for it to be as great as Hellfire. Well done guyz Well done... I really wonder who's fault this is - to me it just really looks like very poor management from the top guys. Jay Wilson really seems like a bad choice for this job, when he allows for so many direct ERRORS to get through the game - PTR or live... no matter where

Basic probability would tell you rolling a trifecta on a rare is easier than on hellfire. Who cares about the main stat? Why do you think top wd's wear tal rasha chest...

And who said that, again? Einstein? Jay wilson? Or some forum dumbass, like you.

You just dont get it, end of story. The nerf was unnecessary. Period. And this isnt even about whats better, rare or hellfire, its about endgame, and having something to strive for. For most endgame players a .000000000000000001 chance at getting an amazing ring aint it.

Especially with what you have to go through to get it, which you never did.

Forum hero. Hellfire is easy to farm. Get good bro

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6713581923

You're a bad and you know it. Who cares about main stat? Every TOP DPS'er on Diabloprogress cares about it. Obviously you don't, cos you're bad.

I'm bad and i know it. Rofl. Nice try.

There was and is no lie.

In any software development process, it is the responsibility of the developer to adequately test their new changes/features before releasing even a beta version to their customers. This "bug" would have been discovered had they tested using the ring even ONCE; it's not some obscure corner case. This means there are two possibilities:

This is actually spot on buddy ;).

It is kinda strange that this happens from a big software company like Blizzard Entertainment that has the ressources to spot those obvious programming mistakes right away ;) or is the lead programmer and its current staff all overpaid and to busy to count the benjamins :P ;).

This is actually spot on buddy ;).

It is kinda strange that this happens from a big software company like Blizzard Entertainment that has the ressources to spot those obvious programming mistakes right away ;) or is the lead programmer and its current staff all overpaid and to busy to count the benjamins :P ;).

This is exactly what I'm talking about.

This thread isn't even about the ring or the nerf - I'm more concerned with what the hell is going on in their testing department or why are they blatantly lying to our faces pretending it is perfectly acceptable to do so.
So you just learned now that Blizzard lies? I could pull up literally a hundred quotes from the developers of this game where they lied. But I won't bother because I have a life to attend to. The life of playing Diablo 3. Back to it then, cya.
Can someone explain the actual lie?

And yes, there have been bugs even with valve that occurred 100% of the time and went live (not ptr)
Can someone explain the actual lie?

And yes, there have been bugs even with valve that occurred 100% of the time and went live (not ptr)

The lie is in saying it was a "bug" just to cover up that they had underestimated it and had to nerf it, because apparently admitting it was a nerf would generate a lot more rage.

It is inconceivable that such tremendous difference would go unnoticed by the developers if it wasn't designed to be that way, thus it couldn't possibly have been a bug.

There was and is no lie.

This isnt a time to defend them, its stupid to say the changes the developers implement should not be tested even once by them.

Blizzard has become so lazy its disgusting and they do not deserve to be defended.

There is still so many game breaking bugs in the current live patch because they don't bother testing correctly or even at all, and then when they find out about the bugs the decision to fix them or not is based upon the amount of people are being affected.

They are greedy

They are lazy

They are liars
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]