Diablo® III

Hellfire nerf official explanation

(Locked)

So you're telling us that NO ONE, no developer, no QA tester, no one in the whole company tried to proc the ring even ONCE before releasing the patch?

They have not released the patch. It is a test realm, designed to test exactly this sort of thing.
Edited by Camster#1504 on 10/6/2012 3:56 PM PDT
What part of a test realm do you not comprehend? Test realms are for finding and squashing bugs as well as buffing and nerfing skills BEFORE it gets to live.

There was and is no lie.

It's already been said multiple times that the best Hellfire is as good as the best 1.05 rare ring.

In any software development process, it is the responsibility of the developer to adequately test their new changes/features before releasing even a beta version to their customers. This "bug" would have been discovered had they tested using the ring even ONCE; it's not some obscure corner case. This means there are two possibilities:

1) Blizzard lied and the Hellfire Ring's old proc was intended originally

2) Blizzard failed to commit to even the most basic testing procedure

Either way, this reeks of irresponsibility.

btw do yall remember this statement?
whoa, whoa, whoa! you mean the patch notes you released were a lie?
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/7029347/7029347#classes
this clearly states 1500%. that means if you didnt intend for it to be 1500% then it was completely untested AND no one checked the patch notes either.

do you have no quality control division? no testers? why the heck are you lieing to us?

The note was written based on incorrect information, yes (which due to the fact that we missed this issue during testing). We've already identified why we missed this issue originally and have improved our processes so that the same issue won't happen again -- both for in terms of testing changes and confirming information put into the patch notes.

its pretty interesting that they "missed" the damage of trail of cinders AND its notes too during testing. wait thats not all though. they say they fixed the process.

now they missed the damage scaling of hellfire ring...
so whats going on?
Quoted from Lylirra:
It was actually a bug fix. The ring's proc damage was incorrectly scaling with a player's primary stats and weapon damage, which it was never designed to do. While we agree it was pretty sweet to see your characters do millions of damage in a single hit, no other Legendary procs scale this way -- and that's intended.

(http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6794230705#5)

Really? REALLY?

So you're telling us that NO ONE, no developer, no QA tester, no one in the whole company tried to proc the ring even ONCE before releasing the patch? a 1000% bugged factor isnt exactly that hard to spot. What's next, you're sending us a patch with compilation error??

What's with all the lies? Where's all the "polishing" and "Releasing when it is ready"?

Are you feeding us patches that no one in the company even tested? Or are you straight-out lying to our faces? Your call, those are the only possible choices now.

I agree to a certain extent. In this case i'm not so upset, but when you talk about Trail of cinders, Wicked wind, thenn Storm chaser/Run like the wind, i get pretty mad, mainly because they hav been out in the game for a VERY long time, and they just couldn't be bothered testing it to see if it was OverPowered or not before nerfing it, along with the gear that comes along with it to a certain degree

I agree to a certain extent. In this case i'm not so upset, but when you talk about Trail of cinders, Wicked wind, thenn Storm chaser/Run like the wind, i get pretty mad, mainly because they hav been out in the game for a VERY long time, and they just couldn't be bothered testing it to see if it was OverPowered or not before nerfing it, along with the gear that comes along with it to a certain degree

i ask you this in a hypothetical situation.
if the PTR wasnt here would they have released the ring without the nerf?
chances are the answer would be yes. in the same exact way ToC was released without proper testing by them and many other past errors they would have just released it. later they would have called it a "bug" and fixed it. the reality though is nothing has changed in their development process (despite them saying they fixed it) to locate these "bugs".
Edited by Morogoth#1321 on 10/6/2012 6:55 PM PDT
why would you want ring that will do millions of damage that is pretty boring
10/06/2012 07:39 PMPosted by Nocturnal

I already do millions of dmg, it didnt change anything. Guess im boring then.

How about you get gear and farm ring then come back and have a true opinion on matter.

You know whats boring, btw? farming act III endlessly...
10/06/2012 07:39 PMPosted by Nocturnal

Lol? who is talking about wanting the ring?

We're not arguing whether it should or not be nerfed. This is about why 1) they lie to us like we're 5 year olds OR 2) do not test their products at all
in the ptr on mp 10 normal demons have 11 mil hp so yeah you need soem thing to even the balance screw fighting a normal demon or minion or mob for 20 freaking minutes i have 349k dps and it takes forever to kill a normal minion so if you havent played the ptr you need to stay out of the conversation
10/05/2012 09:42 PMPosted by Koric
Pre-TEST doesn't mean "lets not even test what our changes did and lets let the players figure out".

Actually, I'm pretty sure that's exactly what public testing means. You signed up for PTR, and the point is to iron out these sorts of bugs, why are you upset that you found one? I'm glad the bug was in something so obvious.

They probably did alpha testing, and it probably found other bugs, you are their beta in their little desktop aquarium because you signed up for it. Quit complaining.
Edited by Dalamarius#1244 on 10/6/2012 10:16 PM PDT
dalamarius u no understand.

a bug is a bug if a mechanic isn't working as intended. hellfire ring is working as intended (like trail of cinders, etc.). they however had to call it a bug because the lazy/incomptent dev team didnt actually take the time to understand the numbers behind the item/skill.

beofre you alpha or beta test, you test for integrity and compliance against scripts/scenarios. damage output of hellfire wouldve been very easy to spot if they know what they were doing. they saw that internally and didnt give a hoot that it is doing millions of damage.

you dont code and send it to the PTR so "family and friends" can test for you.

this is a nerf. not a bug as blizzard claims. what's bugged is their dev processes and most likely, the entire design/dev team
Edited by andrei#6197 on 10/6/2012 11:32 PM PDT
NERF THE RING !
It is PTR = Public Test Realm if u didnt read it´s meaning. No point at all QQing on something not complete.
dunno why u guys are raging so hard, shim is right, its still on the PTR, while they did make the same mistake with trail of cinders, only they actually released it and let people get used to using it before they told us it was a "bug"...

really they just decided the playstyle was too op which ofcourse everyone agrees with, only thing that pisses me off is clearly they arent testing the game properly if they think any ability should be doing 2500% wep damage...

PS TL2 is currently better yeah, im playing that while i wait for d3 to get its 'fixes'
Edited by Purplestuff#1353 on 10/7/2012 7:04 AM PDT
People who are saying that PTR is for testing and there is no need for Blizzard to test are just stupid. You guys think that they dont need to test that their code even works, at all? C'mon this many people cant really be this stupid.
10/06/2012 10:14 PMPosted by Dalamarius
Pre-TEST doesn't mean "lets not even test what our changes did and lets let the players figure out".

Actually, I'm pretty sure that's exactly what public testing means.

10/07/2012 07:03 AMPosted by Harhis
People who are saying that PTR is for testing and there is no need for Blizzard to test are just stupid. You guys think that they dont need to test that their code even works, at all? C'mon this many people cant really be this stupid.

You'd be surprised...
Quoted from Lylirra:
It was actually a bug fix. The ring's proc damage was incorrectly scaling with a player's primary stats and weapon damage, which it was never designed to do. While we agree it was pretty sweet to see your characters do millions of damage in a single hit, no other Legendary procs scale this way -- and that's intended.

(http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6794230705#5)

Really? REALLY?

So you're telling us that NO ONE, no developer, no QA tester, no one in the whole company tried to proc the ring even ONCE before releasing the patch? a 1000% bugged factor isnt exactly that hard to spot. What's next, you're sending us a patch with compilation error??

What's with all the lies? Where's all the "polishing" and "Releasing when it is ready"?

Are you feeding us patches that no one in the company even tested? Or are you straight-out lying to our faces? Your call, those are the only possible choices now.

They (Blizzard) probably tested it and never noticed something odd or never thought that the stats are too OP. This is why the game goes to PTR, to find this kind of bugs. And the way it is going, it seems to work.

You have to understand, the game this complex, requires hundreds of manhours and Blizzard's QA can only do so much. This is why they went "crowd sourcing", to facilitate faster testing. The more players that plays, the more testers they get on top of Bliz' own QA team.

Don't get me wrong, I am not Pro-Blizzard, I even quite because I don't like where the game is going. But I still maintain an open mind, looking at both sides. Though I doubt I will be joining the game back again, I am just glad that those who didn't quit (and will play) will have a better game.

This game costed Blizzard a lot of fans (including 4 in my household, and 10+ real life friends who swore not to buy Blizzard product again), so if this PTR and adjustment thingy will be good, then Blizzard may have their fans back. If not in this game, maybe in the expansion...

Good luck all...hope you guys gets the "freedom" like me. As soon as I quit the game, I was free from depression and rage :)...
90 Orc Warrior
So cute seeing so many people hype about a dead game. The day you realize this will be the same day your eyes open without a foggy biased haze attmpting to breath life into a corpse. give it up.
so a ring that insta kills HC players with reflect dmg was not a bug ?
This topic is locked.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]