Diablo® III

Can't log in.... error 3 after authenticator

Ive tried several attempts to log in.
I input my username and password.
Then it goes to the authenticator screen. I grab my cell, and input the authentication code. Then error 3 pops up saying wrong log in information.
I tried inputting the wrong password in... and error 3 pops up before the authentication screen.
I was able to log on to the forums with the authenticator.
I am unable to remove the Authenticator gives me an error with the 1st code during the removal process.

So.... my username and password is correct.
I can authenticate to log on to the forums and bnet.
Can't log in to game or remove the authenticator from my account.
Any ideas?
Cheers Blixx
Reply Quote
same problem here. wish blizzard would give us some information, even a simple " we are aware of the problem and are looking into it." instead they just plain ignore us.
Reply Quote
I just called in to tech support and they fixed the issue for me. They believe it was a faulty authenticator. They removed it and are sending me a new one free of charge. I recommend u call them also.
Reply Quote
A faulty authenticator? LOL then how am I logging in and out of Bnet with 0 problems. I just cant log into D3.
Reply Quote
same exact problem
Reply Quote
They rolled back my account, still got Error 3 after a bunch of help tickets. Fun times.
Reply Quote
Having the same issue. Don't even play this game for months now, just checking in to see if my account is still intact. Support said this...

"I have reset the authenticator so that it should now be in sync with our login servers. Please give it another shot."

What authenticator did he "reset"? I know he didn't reset mine unless they have some top secret satellite designed to communicate with our authenticators.

Works for battle.net just not in game. Seems pretty obvious that the game log in servers are the problem.
Reply Quote
DO NOT REMOVE YOUR AUTHENTICATOR. I have been dealing with the same issue for 2 or 3 days.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4217494645

You probably have a Man in the Middle Attack. Its amazing that nobody is bringing this up.
Reply Quote
DO NOT REMOVE YOUR AUTHENTICATOR. I have been dealing with the same issue for 2 or 3 days.

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/forum/topic/4217494645

You probably have a Man in the Middle Attack. Its amazing that nobody is bringing this up.

Saw this in your thread, and checked for HIMYM.DLL but found no trace in the registry or anywhere else. Could be something new or a renamed version, but I can see no rundll in task manager even when the game is open and I'm logging in.
Reply Quote
Did you check the actual HKEYLOCAL or whatever and see what DLL's are in there?

The HIMYM.DLL file did not cause me to have a rundll either.
Reply Quote
I checked both of the reg locations mentioned and it's not there. Did a search of both drives too and file not found.

Edit: just searched the registry and found the entry under Internet Explorer > Explorer bars > {C4EE31F3-4768-11D2-BE5C-00A0C9A83DA1} > FilesNamedMRU

Going to attempt removing it now and see if it fixes...

Never mind, that key was there because I searched for the HIMYM file. It's a record of recently used search terms. Still can't find any himym.dll anywhere.
Edited by b3w4r3#1999 on 10/9/2012 6:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Like i said, it may not be named HIMYM.DLL You may not be able to "search" for it, you will probably have to go into

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Run\

and

HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Shared Tools\MSConfig\startupreg

and see whats in there. For instance, in my Run\ folder i have nohting but Steelseries (for my mouse) the HIMYM.DLL was in there for me, but it could have been named anything.

If you have tried all of blizzards "fixes" and none work, and you can log into your account from another computer, you almost certainly have a Man in the Middle attack and your gonna have to go into your registry and figure out what DLL it is and remove it.
Reply Quote
You could also, set your computer back to a save point if you have windows restore on. You could save files/wahtever you needed then just system restore back a few weeks and see if you can log in.

Pretty sure that would work, if it does, then you know you probably had a man in the middle attack.
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
Ok i ended the process' called rundll32.exe and there were 4 of them. there were 2 of them alike to each other. 2 were rundll32.exe and the other 2 were rundll32.exe *32. Now I know in my processes my Firefox and etc run with a *32 after them.. so i am wondering if possibly its the other 2 that do not have the *32. I'm going to do some experimenting with them to see which is which. Now to get rid of which ever is considered the "bad" one or pair. Should i just right click them and go to file location and delete what i find there?
Reply Quote
90 Orc Warrior
So i have officially fixed the error. Followed the locations to the 2 different locations. Now they are no longer in my running processes. i have no more running rundll32.exe's. I was foolish and did not run my malwarebytes. So i went ahead and ran the Malwarebytes in Safe mode. Did the scan and found 3 things.
-Trojan.Agent - Registry Value - HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\etc..
-other two were
-Password.Steal -(one in registry one a File)
-HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current
-C:\User\*****\AppData\Local\Temp

Once The malware remover cornered and deleted the files, Everything has been perfect. I also of course went through the necessary steps of reinforcing and changing passwords etc.
TY to those in this post because Blizzard has even got back to me yet on the issue and I have sent 2 Support tickets. Doing some research yourself can save you a lot of time.
Edited by Irrefutable#1744 on 12/6/2012 9:58 AM PST
Reply Quote
I have this problem too :( Blixxus
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]