Diablo® III

If Hydra won't proc LL, it shouldn't Reflect

Basically, since Hydra won't proc Life Leech or Life On HIt, it shouldn't proc reflect damage either. It's very hard when you reach a situation where you need to maybe "regroup" and are killed because your Hydra is spamming attacks, but generating no health.
Reply Quote
don't place a freaking hydra then, there, easy fix
Reply Quote
I think OP has a point. It's kinda stupid for hydra's to reflect DMG when they don't heal you. I don't see the logic behind that at all.

Before Blizz actually addresses this issue (I doubt they ever will) another way is to run and cast hydras in front of u so they're away and out of range from the elites.

It's a but cumbersome but I guess that's the only way u can go about not killing yourself with it against reflect.
Reply Quote
Being able to avoid it by not casting hydras doesn't address the problem. Blizz has done everything to make sure Hydra is a staple spell for Wizards... And Arcane Hydra puts out pretty significant damage... So you're telling me I have to gimp myself like 1/3 of my damage every time I run across a very common Affix?
Reply Quote
Yes it sucks....signed to fix Hydra LL and LOH.
Reply Quote
you die from reflect damage?

wow you must suck. i have zero life leech or LOH and i dont even notice which packs have reflect.

and considering they just doubled the damage on arcane hydra i wouldnt complain.
Reply Quote
lol trololol
Reply Quote
maybe you should try getting resist all and armour.
Reply Quote
Maybe you should read the original post and not try to tell me how to play my build that you don't understand.

Fail troll fails. And if you aren't trolling, you obviously suck at getting the point.
Reply Quote
you die from reflect damage?

wow you must suck. i have zero life leech or LOH and i dont even notice which packs have reflect.

and considering they just doubled the damage on arcane hydra i wouldnt complain.

maybe cause your damage isnt high enough to really get affected by reflect?
Reply Quote
10/08/2012 07:51 PMPosted by Sevenernine
Basically, since Hydra won't proc Life Leech or Life On HIt, it shouldn't proc reflect damage either. It's very hard when you reach a situation where you need to maybe "regroup" and are killed because your Hydra is spamming attacks, but generating no health.

While I totally agree that Hydra should give LL if it is reflecting damage, I think part of your problem is that your health is too low. Reflect will melt you down fast without much life.
Reply Quote
Maybe you should read the original post and not try to tell me how to play my build that you don't understand.

Fail troll fails. And if you aren't trolling, you obviously suck at getting the point.

Dude. You have no resist or armor or vit. I initially agreed that he was a troll too until I look at your profile.

But to be fair, no LS/LoH on hydra is kinda lame.
Reply Quote
if i remember well, this is fixed in ptr: no more reflect due to hydra
And by the way, it is a minimum, because you can't even UNBUFF this focking hydra! (no right click to un spell)
Reply Quote
Point OP is making is there is a double standard regarding the design of spell benefits vs consequences.

Take 'Hydra' out of the discussion and consider the pro's vs con's of any given spell.

Spell A - damage output transitions LS (pro) with the weakness of reflecting damage back (con). Balanced.
Spell B - damage output does not return LS (con) but will still reflect damage back at you (con). Unbalanced?

What other benefits go with Spell B to encourage players to use it? Well, reflect is a random champ / elite affix that may or may not show up (though it seems like it shows up often in A3). Also Spell B has ease of use with fire-and-forget utlility, but this is balanced by the fact that the offensive damage is periodic and static so that's balanced.

Or does IAS affect Hydra?
Reply Quote
10/08/2012 08:12 PMPosted by Sevenernine
Being able to avoid it by not casting hydras doesn't address the problem. Blizz has done everything to make sure Hydra is a staple spell for Wizards... And Arcane Hydra puts out pretty significant damage... So you're telling me I have to gimp myself like 1/3 of my damage every time I run across a very common Affix?

Very common is an understatement.

I agree with the OP, they should proc LS, LoH
Reply Quote
Hydra is the second most development-heavy wiz skill out there! It is the way it is because of careful, thoughtful planning and rigorous testing. If it procced life on hit or life leech, it would mean wizards would not die as often. This is bad, wizards need to die or they are op. Working as intended.
Reply Quote
I agree with the OP. Either Hydra should have no relation to you - no LoH, no LoK, no Life Steal, and no reflect damage or cold blooded...or it should have relation to you, and get the benefits and detriments of both.

C is for Consistency.
Reply Quote
Point OP is making is there is a double standard regarding the design of spell benefits vs consequences.

Take 'Hydra' out of the discussion and consider the pro's vs con's of any given spell.

Spell A - damage output transitions LS (pro) with the weakness of reflecting damage back (con). Balanced.
Spell B - damage output does not return LS (con) but will still reflect damage back at you (con). Unbalanced?

What other benefits go with Spell B to encourage players to use it? Well, reflect is a random champ / elite affix that may or may not show up (though it seems like it shows up often in A3). Also Spell B has ease of use with fire-and-forget utlility, but this is balanced by the fact that the offensive damage is periodic and static so that's balanced.

Or does IAS affect Hydra?

Thank you. That was my point. i know I have low resists and HP. I had 700 resists and 35k life before, my low survivability is by choice, and whose who play with me understand why I use it. Get off of it, already, just because I have a little more foresight and intelligence to design a build that dosen't require being a cookie cutter character.

Anyway, as posters above and below both said, it's about reciprocity. I don't need to comment further, 'cause these guys said it.

I agree with the OP. Either Hydra should have no relation to you - no LoH, no LoK, no Life Steal, and no reflect damage or cold blooded...or it should have relation to you, and get the benefits and detriments of both.

C is for Consistency.
Reply Quote
Agreed
Reply Quote
OP makes sense. It should go both ways and not just one way. His opinion on this shouldn't have anything to do with gear I don't think. Whether you have tons of ehp or not, you're getting robbed with getting all reflect damage back while LOH and LS isn't applied to hydra.

Anyways I hate hydra with all my heart and will never use it.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]