Diablo® III

+MF, fast farming, legendaries & YOU

Ok on this sub forum and the main General forum I have seen alot of discussion lately about Magic find, Farming efficiency and legendary item drop rate. Below I'm gonna try and explain how all these factors tie in with each other and I will give a simple way of understanding the loot drop system, so hopefully I can help you's get some PHAT LOOOTZZZ too.

Preface:
It is still uncertain the exact legendary drop rate, so the numbers I use below mightn't be absolutely correct but they should be around the mark and will help in understanding the process.

How the system works:
After a monster is killed and a "piece" of loot drops, that loot piece is automatically assigned a number from a range of numbers, this is called the loot piece number (for the rest of this post we will assume the number is 53)

This range of numbers is affected by your +MF stat, if you have 0 MF the range will be from 1 - 2000 approximately, if you have 100 MF the range will be approximately from 1 - 1500, If your maxed on 300 MF it might be 1 - 1000.

The next thing that happens is the game decides if this loot piece is going to be a Legendary item, how it does this is:
It rolls a number from that same range of numbers, this is called the legendary roll number. If this number is different to the number of the loot piece you miss out on a legendary. If it is the same number as the loot piece (53 in our case) BOOYAHHH we have a legendary item.

here is some visual representations of what I just said.

Loot piece roll (000 MF) |.........53..................................................................................|
Legendary roll (000 MF) |.......................................................................1786................|
= MISSED

Loot piece roll (000 MF) |..........53................................................................................|
Legendary roll (000 MF) |..........53................................................................................|
=BOOYAHHH LEGENDARY!!!!!

Loot piece roll (100 MF) |........53.......................................................................|
Legendary roll (100 MF) |...........................................974..................................|
=MISSED

Loot piece roll (200 MF) |.........53..........................................................|
Legendary roll (200 MF) |....................92...............................................|
=MISSED

Loot piece roll (max MF) |..........53......................................|
Legendary roll (max MF) |..........53......................................|
=BOOYAHHH LEGENDARY!!!!!!

(see the number ranges getting smaller)

Soooooo... it should be easy to see now how +MF affects your chance at a legendary, the more MF you have, the less numbers the game has to choose from, thus increasing the chance of a legendary dropping.

But...... Thats not the whole story.

If we look at character with 0 +MF, they have a range of 1 to 2000 that the game picks a number from. This means ON AVERAGE they have to make 2000 items drop before a legendary drops. This is where farming efficiency enters the scene.... what we now have is a system that is very dependent on time. I'll elaborate:

At 0 +MF, If it takes a week for a nooby casual player to make 2000 items drop (by dispatching demonspawn back to hell) then they'll see 1 legendary a week on average. If it only takes 2 hours to make 2000 items drop for another player (mr 1337) then they should see a legendary drop every 2 hours on average.

Lets give both players max MF which gives them a new range the game picks a number from of 1 to 1000. It is now twice as easy for both players to get a legendary drop because they only have to make 1000 items drop. But...... for the nooby player it still takes 3-4 days to get a legendary drop (still pretty sucky considering the millions he just spent on +MF gear) were as mr 1337 has just gone from finding 4 legendaries a day to 8.

So by adding MF to a person with poor farming efficiency = No real noticeable difference

So by adding MF to a person with good farming efficiency = A nice noticeable difference

So by adding killspeed to a person with poor farming efficiency = A game changing experience

So with a bit of mulling over in the mind you can start to see the more important factor of the two (kill speed vs MF). Farming efficiency beats MF hands down. In fact I would recommend any player to "stack" kill speed first and foremost right up until it becomes very costly to get much more kill speed and then stack on the MF. Buy/find gear that improves DPS, buy/find gear that improves survivability, buy/find gear that improves Movement speed. DON'T buy +200MF worth of magic find gear if you can't faceroll the hellspawn.

TL:DR Killspeed is the magic find stat. +MF only moves the goal posts to your favor.
Reply Quote
Thanks for the info, Sollan, very interesting.

I'm a casual player, farming Act1 2-3 hours after work > 300% MF I got a few legs. Changing to battle gear 24 speed and 0 MF = nothing. Also without MF very poor rare drops.
Reply Quote
well, i still recommened having some MF. kill speed with no MF doesnt feel good as well. I do a whole act 3 in 3 hours, so im ~3 times slower than a WW barb, but i get on average 1 brown/green a day, in 1 run. current MF is on 270 with NV i think.
Reply Quote
Interesting, I know there is nothing like total random in drop rate.

I never stack MF since the patch 1.0.4 was released.
There was a weekend where I dropped 3 legs and 1 set, and there were two weekends where none dropped at all.

But lately, since my paragon level hit 30-ish, I got one leg/set for every 1-2 hours run per day which is nice. But the leg/set dropped were not (just my bad luck brian there) -___-;

And yeah, my farming speed is as nowhere as fast as WW barb. I strolled alkaiser run in 20min-ish marks.
Reply Quote
Weapons with MF = best. Ive got a sunkeeper with 42% MF and 61% CD. Best weapon to farm with
Reply Quote
Thanks for the info, Sollan, I play 2-3 hrs everyday after work and I do get 1 legend every 1 or 2 weeks. so what you said make sense
Reply Quote
@ ruslanec,
Be careful not to prove your methods with your results, when the result is also heavily based on chance.
You might have had a bad run with RNG when you donned your "Battle gear" or maybe your battle gear only gives a marginal improvement in kill speed or you didn't wear it long enough to get results (small sample size).

@ Seansky
Sure get some MF, if it doesn't gimp your kill speed any. I not trying to get people to not wear +MF gear.

@PIAG 20 minutes is a pretty good alkaizer run time, I can only do it in about 15 - 17minutes with a WW barb. Your char is a good candidate for adding +MF too, because it would probably cost you 100 mill in gear to do that run 3 minutes quicker (marginal increase in drops per hr).
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]