Diablo® III

Please Make Game Colorblind Friendly

10/10/2012 12:58 AMPosted by TupacSoldier
We try our best to make our games as colorblind-friendly as possible, and in patch 1.0.5 we will be adding some new features which will make Set Items and Legendaries more visible. When one drops, not only will a new audio effect be played, but it will also ping your mini-map and a beam of light will shine upwards from the item to make it extremely noticeable within the scenery of Sanctuary.

rofl blizzard didn't even care about helping the color blind. if they did they would've been smart enough to put this out on day one. they're only adding this feature because people crying about legendary drops. this blizzard worker came up with this response to make blizzard seem like they care about us all along.

You're grasping at straws here. There is such a thing as improving. Take your hate elsewhere.
Reply Quote
10/09/2012 11:29 PMPosted by Vaeflare
We try our best to make our games as colorblind-friendly as possible, and in patch 1.0.5 we will be adding some new features which will make Set Items and Legendaries more visible. When one drops, not only will a new audio effect be played, but it will also ping your mini-map and a beam of light will shine upwards from the item to make it extremely noticeable within the scenery of Sanctuary.

I have played the ptr and haven't noticed the mini map ping. I killed several key wardens specifically waiting/looking for it. Is this feature extremely subtle or was it not implemented yet?
Reply Quote

Okay, so, speaking as a colorblind player, while I am grateful for the legendary fix (it is badly needed), your colorblindness support is incredibly lacking in this game. Here are the four major, major issues remaining:

• Your health bars are red on black. I cannot read a monsters health bar without squinting at it really hard. It all just looks black.
  • The health globes are red on dark backgrounds. At a glance, the globe looks exactly the same to me when it is completely full and nearly completely empty. I play Hardcore. This is a problem.
  • Set pieces and rares look exactly the same. The yellow of rares and the green of the set pieces are completely interchangeable for me, just as others have mentioned
  • The colorblind mode, eet does nothing. I honestly have no earthly idea what the colorblind mode changes. After discussing the mode with other colorblind players, they have no idea either. This is either brilliant trolling or a very poorly implemented function.

I know this will probably get lost in the morass that is the forums, but it badly needs to be said.

P.S.- On an entertaining/pathetic note, I played Diablo 2 for about 9 years as a Barbarian before I realized the world turns green when you are poisoned.
Edited by Norc#1435 on 10/10/2012 6:14 AM PDT
Reply Quote

god you people will whine about anything

No.

The issue here is that developer time is being spent (wasted) on a specific build that never really should have existed in the first place, and is accepted to be wildly unbalanced. We all know these "features" are being added for the Barbarians who kill stuff off-screen and thus can't see things drop and "can't be bothered" to run back and look because it will decrease the efficiency of their runs. Oh, the horror.

Perhaps try killing things when they're on screen like the rest of us. Even DH that kill things super far away tend to run forward and thus overtop of the fresh corpses to tag their next group.

Colorblind? Sure, I get that. I'm a web designer. Red/green colorblindness is the most prevalent and colorblindness in some for or another is thought to affect up to 10% of the population. The safest bet is to let us set our own colors for loot (as some have asked), or, barring that, changing legendary items to blue or purple so that they are more easily distinguished.

I'm also a web designer, senior web designer, been doing it professionally since 1996. Twice I almost missed legendary items because the color of the text was so close to the background color, and the name was small. I hit the alt key to make sure I see all the items that drop, that's when I noticed them... and I play a monk that kills stuff on screen at a slow pace. I welcome this change. As a designer you should know that some things take longer than others. It's not as easy to balance all classes as it would be to add a ray of light to an item for example. Some items are what they call 'low hanging fruit'.
Reply Quote
90 Dwarf Death Knight
10/10/2012 12:52 AMPosted by Altairaquila
Why does blizzard not allow us play the game in offline mod, like what they did for Starcraft 2 ? If you want to play with your friends or others, switch to online mod, otherwise offline, enjoy yourself. I have to say it is really incontinent to play this game.Because it is impossible to have internet connection all the time .A game is meant to be played, if we cant play it whenever we want, the game will lose its meaning. Personal option . Sincerely wish one day we can play Diablo 3 on offline mod. No lag.

Most of the code is on their servers. There will never be an offline mode. Blizzard has stated this time and time again. They made the game ONLINE ONLY.
Reply Quote
I think we should give credit where credit is due. This idea came directly from someone on these forums, I don't know who, but it did, to a T. Whether you like the feature or not, at least we know they do consider our comments from time to time. Anyone know who it was?
Reply Quote
10/09/2012 11:41 PMPosted by BakedCoolaid
please, please add an option "enable legendary notification" or something so that we can turn the sound on/off seperately.

I can agree with this. I was afraid of this I have went backwards once before an seen a legendary on the ground. was pretty shocked. but a constant ping could help more as option.
,along with an option to leave all loot visible on the ground as well... "permanent alt."

You can already make all loot permanently visible. Change the loot settings to toggle/always on/off, turn it on and never hit the button again.
Reply Quote
I'm also colorblind... It's strange really... people say legendaries are orange but I see them as dark brown... Rares and set items at first glance are similar in color, that is why I have to pause for a second and look at the name of the item.
Reply Quote
Doesn't matter, most will never hear or see the notifications.
Reply Quote
A friend of mine is colourblind. Once when we were having an ID break, he realized a "Rare Ring" he had picked up was actually a set item. He was pretty pumped. And though he says it's easy for him to distinguish most sets because they display the raw item type as their name, he is happy about the upcoming beam of light.
Reply Quote
On another note, I think there should be an option to have your screen perform something similar to the red "YOU ARE ABOUT TO DIE" screen when a legendary drops.
Reply Quote

Okay, so, speaking as a colorblind player, while I am grateful for the legendary fix (it is badly needed), your colorblindness support is incredibly lacking in this game. Here are the four major, major issues remaining:

• Your health bars are red on black. I cannot read a monsters health bar without squinting at it really hard. It all just looks black.
  • The health globes are red on dark backgrounds. At a glance, the globe looks exactly the same to me when it is completely full and nearly completely empty. I play Hardcore. This is a problem.
  • Set pieces and rares look exactly the same. The yellow of rares and the green of the set pieces are completely interchangeable for me, just as others have mentioned
  • The colorblind mode, eet does nothing. I honestly have no earthly idea what the colorblind mode changes. After discussing the mode with other colorblind players, they have no idea either. This is either brilliant trolling or a very poorly implemented function.

I know this will probably get lost in the morass that is the forums, but it badly needs to be said.

My I also add, that to me, the Barbarian Fury bar is virtually indistinguishable from the sand of Act 2. Piles of fun that is.

And good points all around especially about the health bar. >_<
Edited by Nurani#1389 on 10/10/2012 6:53 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Thank you very, very much.
Reply Quote
Ha Ha!
Reply Quote

That's a welcome change/addition. It can be quite frustrating to try and see some of the items that drop against certain Sanctuary backgrounds.
Reply Quote
I am really happy about this new feature they're adding. I always worry about missing legendaries, and my friend luckily pointed out once that I had just left a legendary lying on the ground.

BUT!!!

I still do not see why the simplest option, giving the option to customise the colours of the names, was not added. Really, why? I don't necessarily care, with the new patch, but why NOT?
Reply Quote
10/09/2012 11:51 PMPosted by CREAM
yeah and then unbind the alt key.

lol i didnt think of this ^^
Reply Quote
You know what might be cool, if there was an "auto-pickup" setting that allowed you to specify item level and rarity of items (including gems, plans etc) that your character would automatically pickup. After killing a monster that "dropped" items you've specified to be picked up you could get a nice little popup window showing what items you've just gained. Obviously if your inventory is full you get a little popup stating such. That would make farming so much simpler/quicker and guarantee you'd never miss a legendary drop.
Reply Quote
need to redo fruitcake land of ponies... so f'in nasty i don't even want to bother with that shi.t
Reply Quote
why not something like this?

8. color blind option for item labels
(black-white-black frame, white alone might get lost on bright backgrounds)
- legendary - solid frame
- rare - dash frame
- magic - dot frame
example: http://bayimg.com/MACAKaaeb

6. show "legendary found" in console/chat dialog
(much like status messages, etc)
- add zone/location info
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]