Diablo® III

Please Make Game Colorblind Friendly

I acutally JUST found a Legendary while I was backtracking in Act 4 of Hell mode... I had killed a goblin earlier... then picked up a bunch of stuff and moved on.... I went back that way to clear the rest of the map... and there was legendary axe sitting there.... I never thought that i could miss a legendary before... but I guess it can happen.

http://us.battle.net/d3/en/item/the-butchers-sickle

777 DPS. meh....
Reply Quote

I'm also a web designer, senior web designer, been doing it professionally since 1996. Twice I almost missed legendary items because the color of the text was so close to the background color, and the name was small. I hit the alt key to make sure I see all the items that drop, that's when I noticed them... and I play a monk that kills stuff on screen at a slow pace. I welcome this change. As a designer you should know that some things take longer than others. It's not as easy to balance all classes as it would be to add a ray of light to an item for example. Some items are what they call 'low hanging fruit'.

well i am a senior, senior, senior game player, i've been playing since 1940s... and i like fruits.
Reply Quote
10/09/2012 11:29 PMPosted by Vaeflare
We try our best to make our games as colorblind-friendly as possible, and in patch 1.0.5 we will be adding some new features which will make Set Items and Legendaries more visible. When one drops, not only will a new audio effect be played, but it will also ping your mini-map and a beam of light will shine upwards from the item to make it extremely noticeable within the scenery of Sanctuary.

Why dont you go post about dual 2hing. Or when the patch will be released. Or about banning botters. Stop catering to retards who cant read patch notes and see there will be pings for leg items
Reply Quote
We try our best to make our games as colorblind-friendly as possible, and in patch 1.0.5 we will be adding some new features which will make Set Items and Legendaries more visible. When one drops, not only will a new audio effect be played, but it will also ping your mini-map and a beam of light will shine upwards from the item to make it extremely noticeable within the scenery of Sanctuary.

Okay, so, speaking as a colorblind player, while I am grateful for the legendary fix (it is badly needed), your colorblindness support is incredibly lacking in this game. Here are the four major, major issues remaining:

• Your health bars are red on black. I cannot read a monsters health bar without squinting at it really hard. It all just looks black.
  • The health globes are red on dark backgrounds. At a glance, the globe looks exactly the same to me when it is completely full and nearly completely empty. I play Hardcore. This is a problem.
  • Set pieces and rares look exactly the same. The yellow of rares and the green of the set pieces are completely interchangeable for me, just as others have mentioned
  • The colorblind mode, eet does nothing. I honestly have no earthly idea what the colorblind mode changes. After discussing the mode with other colorblind players, they have no idea either. This is either brilliant trolling or a very poorly implemented function.

I know this will probably get lost in the morass that is the forums, but it badly needs to be said.

P.S.- On an entertaining/pathetic note, I played Diablo 2 for about 9 years as a Barbarian before I realized the world turns green when you are poisoned.

this is exactly the bs i foresee coming. I mean don't get me wrong, i am sympathetic to colorblindness. and I am not saying this is a bs medical condition. what i am saying is, this is a video game. where do we draw the line on catering to people's needs? will we make improvement for quadriplegics? what about deafness? or dare i say blindness? i think by addressing directly to this thread is the wrong move. if you want to make changes indirectly to help these people, that's fine. but now the flood gate is open. and good luck.
Edited by Random#1203 on 10/10/2012 1:45 PM PDT
Reply Quote
10/10/2012 01:44 PMPosted by Random
[quote][quote]We try our best to make our games as colorblind-friendly as possible, and in patch 1.0.5 we will be adding some new features which will make Set Items and Legendaries more visible. When one drops, not only will a new audio effect be played, but it will also ping your mini-map and a beam of light will shine upwards from the item to make it extremely noticeable within the scenery of Sanctuary.

its little things like this that help improve the game. while there are still major issues with the game that needs to be fixed, this still helps the over all game play. there are probably many times that i run past legendaries or gem recipes and not even know about it. other little things that im looking forward to that is in in patch 1.0.5 is the auction house updates. i hate having to switch between screens all the time to price check things. keep up the good work! i know this game will become better in time.....it has good potential
Edited by GODinaPIL#1635 on 10/10/2012 2:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
too bad they don't hotfix some of patch 1.0.5 in. guess people like the OP is going to have to tough it out.
Reply Quote
10/10/2012 01:44 PMPosted by Random

Okay, so, speaking as a colorblind player, while I am grateful for the legendary fix (it is badly needed), your colorblindness support is incredibly lacking in this game. Here are the four major, major issues remaining:

• Your health bars are red on black. I cannot read a monsters health bar without squinting at it really hard. It all just looks black.
  • The health globes are red on dark backgrounds. At a glance, the globe looks exactly the same to me when it is completely full and nearly completely empty. I play Hardcore. This is a problem.
  • Set pieces and rares look exactly the same. The yellow of rares and the green of the set pieces are completely interchangeable for me, just as others have mentioned
  • The colorblind mode, eet does nothing. I honestly have no earthly idea what the colorblind mode changes. After discussing the mode with other colorblind players, they have no idea either. This is either brilliant trolling or a very poorly implemented function.

I know this will probably get lost in the morass that is the forums, but it badly needs to be said.

P.S.- On an entertaining/pathetic note, I played Diablo 2 for about 9 years as a Barbarian before I realized the world turns green when you are poisoned.

this is exactly the bs i foresee coming. I mean don't get me wrong, i am sympathetic to colorblindness. and I am not saying this is a bs medical condition. what i am saying is, this is a video game. where do we draw the line on catering to people's needs? will we make improvement for quadriplegics? what about deafness? or dare i say blindness? i think by addressing directly to this thread is the wrong move. if you want to make changes indirectly to help these people, that's fine. but now the flood gate is open. and good luck.

It's BS to add an option that allows a significant portion of people to play the game despite their disability? People like you are what is wrong with the internet. Way to be selfish, buddy. You might wanna do some research on how common the different forms of colorblindness are before you so easily dismiss a segment of the population.
Reply Quote

Can we have an option to turn the beam of light off if we so desire?? would like a blue response ASAP please and thank you :)
Reply Quote
And what about letting the player choose colors of the items left in the ground ?

Adding something in the options where different colors would be available for each type of item... crappy, rares, legendaries, set, potions, JEWELLER DESIGNS etc...

Those who never pick blue ones could use this color for set item for example
Edited by hoppihoppa#2207 on 10/10/2012 2:40 PM PDT
Reply Quote

This is good news. Most games fail massively and overreact when it comes to a colour-blind mode. Sensible additions like these are most welcome.
Reply Quote
I like these new features for legendary drops....especially with sprint/WW barb, sometimes things die after I have already ran past them and I don't see what drops. I hope the new notifications will still occur if it is off the screen.
Reply Quote
Hi, I'm an amputee and I can only play with 1 hand. Can you make it so my skills are automatically re-cast on my WW barb? Having to move the mouse on the bottom left of the screen every 2-3 secs to re-cast my spells makes my arm hurts! (I have problems in my arm)
Or else it ain't fair!
Reply Quote
Hi, I'm an amputee and I can only play with 1 hand. Can you make it so my skills are automatically re-cast on my WW barb? Having to move the mouse on the bottom left of the screen every 2-3 secs to re-cast my spells makes my arm hurts! (I have problems in my arm)
Or else it ain't fair!

look at getting an mmo gaming mouse that can have from 6 buttons on the side(what i have - razer naga hex) or ones up to 16 buttons on the side. im playing a WW barb and only using one button on my keyboard and its to move. rest is on my mouse
Reply Quote
10/10/2012 02:44 PMPosted by Kolonel

This is good news. Most games fail massively and overreact when it comes to a colour-blind mode. Sensible additions like these are most welcome.

sensible?

someone asks for changes to item label colours and in turn the solution is to ping an audio sample and place a beam of light for legendary and set drops? and you call that sensible?

they already added the ability to set custom colours for the chat window (in 1.05 on PTR) so how hard would it be to extend that to item drop colours and basic UI colours like health/mana/xp bars?

that there would be the sensible way to make your game colourblind friendly.
Reply Quote
It isn't a HUGE GOD RAY you dumb !@#. It's just a thin beam of ... you know what? I'll just let this slide, no point in arguing with a $%^-ing idiot child who doesn't know how to socialize and has no *!@#ing clue how the company works, and doesn't understand it has many different divisions that work on different things.

If you hate the game so god damn much, please $%^-ing leave and go play WoW or what ever dumb *!@# you do like.
Reply Quote

Can I also ask for confeti to pour down on me, and a commentator to jump out of the screen to congratulate me?

That will make me happy.
Reply Quote
10/09/2012 11:32 PMPosted by uwish

I just...

Nevermind...

Well, I have to...

REALLY?! THIS is what you're investing your time and man-power into? Shining rays of light? A mini-map ping makes sense, maybe even an alert in the text-box which warns you to check the items on-screen more carefully because a rare dropped... But I don't need Musak and a huge God-Ray shining down...

did you even read what he said? judging by the post you clearly did not.
Reply Quote
I have this problem. The colors I mix up in real life are Blue & Purple, and Green & Yellow. So that's pretty bad for this game. lol

I just mouse over every rare in my inventory to make sure I didn't accidentally pick up a set item without knowing it.

Haha, actually Blizzard did accommodate for this problem. That's why green items never drop. :P

I like your answer, the best I have ever seen.
Reply Quote

1) You're inconsiderate.

2) More people are colorblind than you might like to believe. Likewise, even more people don't understand what it means to be colorblind and many aren't even aware they are colorblind.

3) Every time you drive you are subjecting yourself to designs that benefit the colorblind.

I don't get it. What's the big deal, especially if it's optional? Seems to be you're just blowing steam for the sake of blowing.
Edited by Cars#1578 on 10/10/2012 4:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]