Diablo® III

Blizzard, a serious word regarding meteor

Yup Blizzard needs more money so nerf nerf nerf
and watch the cash come on the RMAH .....sad!
Reply Quote
85 Undead Mage

That said, skill synergy isn’t where we want it to be for wizards at the moment, and we’re looking at ways to improve that for the future. The sort of changes we’d like to do are more involved than simple numbers-tuning, though, and they weren’t able to make it in with this patch. But we are absolutely working on them.

Forgive me for the grammar, english isn't my native language
I've already made a post about this that wasn't really popular but since you're talking about it I'll shoot my idea again, maybe this time some people will find it interesting.

I was talking about how to improve Wizard's spells' synergy. I pointed that so far only 3 spells can fit in nearly every single build without feeling bad or pointless. These three spells are Hydra, Blizzard and to some extend Explosive Blast.
The reason these three skills have a good synergy with other spells is because they are not "spammable" and are either efficient or bring some utility that regular secondary spells / "Force spells working the same way Secondary Spells (Meteor / Energy Twister).

For Exemple, you use Arcane Orb, taking any other secondary spell / "Force working like secondary spells" in your build will make it not effective.
Arcane Orb + Meteor? What the point? (unless you reach some gear level where you can do critical mass abuse and have unlimited AP...) If you cast Meteor you don't have AP for Orb, if you cast AO you have no AP for Meteor. Reducing Meteor's AP cost just turn "Meteor" into another secondary spell. But it doesn't make "new and interesting synergy". However, if you take "Hydra", you can mix this spell with nearly everything because this spell work as a big "DoT". You cast it once and leave it. Kinda the same for Blizzard, while it cost a lot of AP it can also snare foes. But you need "something else" to do damage. You cannot only spam blizzard.

So in my opinion, to gives Blizzard a good synergy with "most" spells, the spell should be slightly reworked and function like Explosive Blast. What I mean is 5-6sec CD, ridiculous AP cost (10-15) and HIGH damage. (Keeping Stellar Pact the way it is to have a "Secondary Spell" version of this spell).

What would it achieves?
Well, first Meteor wouldn't feel like another secondary spell. It would be mixable with any "AP Spender" the same way Blizzard and mostly Hydra are used. Hydra would bring some kind of "DoT" damage type (cast once, wait 15sec to get the full damage), Meteor would be more "bursty". Every 6sec (less with critical mass for ex) I can cast a nearly free spell doing !@#$load of damage. This could bring some interesting gameplay, I do not think it would change much for people having crazy gear that have crazy crit... (Meteor every 1-2sec with CD reduction VS meteor every 1-2sec with unlimited APproc from crit...) but it would change a lot for player with more "standard" gear.

I'm not sure if my idea is clear enough but unless they do some real change and as they said "not only numbers tuning". Meteor will always be a basic secondary spell.
Edited by Cmagik#1328 on 10/3/2012 10:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
10/03/2012 01:35 PMPosted by Vaeflare
Efficiency is good, but there needs to a balance.

LOL. This...coming from the same guys that made the WW Barb monster...oh, the irony.

From Vaeflare's response, they'll keep the nerfs for 1.05, and wait till the next patch to buff wizards (I'll bet it's just more nerfs). Gee...looks like the wizards will be totally crappy for a month or two. Thanks, Team Blizzard.

I'm off to play X-Com when 1.05 hits.
Edited by Booga#6818 on 10/3/2012 11:18 PM PDT
Reply Quote
View profile
While the proc coefficient on Meteor and its runes is indeed being nerfed, this change really should be viewed within the full context of the patch. Patch 1.0.5 not only introduces [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/7155884/Developer_Journal_Defensive_Bonuses_and_Monster_Damage-9_14_2012"]changes to defensive bonuses and monster damage[/url], but also the Monster Power system, and [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/7100052/Developer_Journal_Crowd_Control_Changes-9_5_2012"]numerous crowd control improvements[/url]. Combined with the Meteor’s lowered AP cost and decreased delay between cast and impact, these changes made it so Meteor was more appealing to everyone, which is fine. But they also made the skill extremely efficient (in fact: too efficient) to get Critical Mass procs and 100% CC uptime. Efficiency is good, but there needs to a balance. The skill is still very strong, so the tuning on its proc coefficients will hardly trivialize Meteor builds, and we anticipate that it will be brought back to roughly where it is currently in patch 1.0.4.

That said, skill synergy isn’t where we want it to be for wizards at the moment, and we’re looking at ways to improve that for the future. The sort of changes we’d like to do are more involved than simple numbers-tuning, though, and they weren’t able to make it in with this patch. But we are absolutely working on them.

I spent a lot of time playing with spreadsheets for every possible cooldown trying to come up with a formula for diminishing returns for CM procs. However, my column for "frost nova (cold snap) w/ evocation" was pretty much impossible to properly nerf with a universal formula without making critical mass useless for everything. (I'm pretty sure no one has any issues with wizards being able to spam explosive blast or move slow time bubbles around at will.)

This leaves one solution. Give every cooldown a coefficient that get multiplied by the 1 second CM reduction. Make every cooldown's coefficient 1 (i.e. will function as they do now) except frost nova's. Make frost nova's 0.33 or something (i.e. a CM proc only reduces the cooldown by 0.33 seconds). Change the tool tip to read "Critical hits have a chance to reduce the cooldowns of your spells by up to 1 second." Problem solved.
Edited by ChangBooster#1510 on 10/3/2012 10:38 PM PDT
Reply Quote
While the proc coefficient on Meteor and its runes is indeed being nerfed, this change really should be viewed within the full context of the patch. Patch 1.0.5 not only introduces [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/7155884/Developer_Journal_Defensive_Bonuses_and_Monster_Damage-9_14_2012"]changes to defensive bonuses and monster damage[/url], but also the Monster Power system, and [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/7100052/Developer_Journal_Crowd_Control_Changes-9_5_2012"]numerous crowd control improvements[/url]. Combined with the Meteor’s lowered AP cost and decreased delay between cast and impact, these changes made it so Meteor was more appealing to everyone, which is fine. But they also made the skill extremely efficient (in fact: too efficient) to get Critical Mass procs and 100% CC uptime. Efficiency is good, but there needs to a balance. The skill is still very strong, so the tuning on its proc coefficients will hardly trivialize Meteor builds, and we anticipate that it will be brought back to roughly where it is currently in patch 1.0.4.

It's official now: There is no more hope for Diablo 3 cause the devs are obviously delusional.
Meteor is more appealing now ? Yeah that's why nobody uses it after the nerf --> fail
The Meteor perma spam was only possible with very very dedicated gear and you decide to just kill the whole skill --> fail
You talk about balance and your company made a game where only 1 class (Barb) is playable so that the game is fun, whereas all the others are just a pain in the a$$ to play --> fail
I mean come on...are you guys really that stupid to ignore feedback from thousands of players who lost the fun to play due to your constant nerfs? Looks like it..in that case, enjoy the last $ you made with D3 cause the way you treat your customers, this is the beginning of the end.

btw: Also lol at the answer in the Monk thread...you guys don't even play your own game, otherwise you'd know that neither Monk nor Wizard are in anything close to a good shape...
I'll grab good old GTA IV now and play a bit, D3 is dead to me.
Edited by Darkrox#2119 on 10/3/2012 11:32 PM PDT
Reply Quote
sounds like blizzard doesnt know wtf they are doing

they say monks are not bad

they think it is good to balance wizards around 1 skills yet they keep talking about build diversity

it toke several patches for them to slightly nerf the very overpowered WW barb build
Reply Quote
LOL, JUST LOL
Reply Quote

So basicaly, we can't get crits from blizzard, disintegrate and now we won't get crits from meteor either ?
What's the point exactly ? nerf the effect on small CDs CCs ?
Then why not tune the CCs spells and leave our nearly-only interesting spell that can crit (i HATE the Energy twister so yes i could use it but no i won't) ?

Why even bother giving us the mass crit passive then ??? so we can spam arcane missile or shock pulse ? WOOT THIS IS SO FUNNY TO PLAY .... or not.

As an example, i usually play with a bear-user witch doctor and right now my meteors lands when nearlly everything is dead, i can only use it on Elite so reducing the delay between cast and impact is quite a good thing (to even use the spell i mean) but now that it won't crits as much i really won't play with mass crit anymore (as there won't be any spell to crits anymore).

So please, return it back to the 1.0.4 version so at least it's still usefull versus elites...

P.S. : Now that we talk about it the Liquefy meteor rune was already useless, i think you can investigate in that even more now.
Edited by TiTBeuBeu#2376 on 10/4/2012 12:14 AM PDT
Reply Quote
u guys really make me wana give up on the game.........sad face=/ it ture but :(
Reply Quote
My friend tested his melee wiz in mp10 and he did just fine. Sounds like you're just a bunch of whiny kids. Go play TL2 if you dont like D3, nobody cares.
Reply Quote
and we anticipate that it will be brought back to roughly where it is currently in patch 1.0.4.

You guys work soooo hard!To make skills "will be brought back to roughly where it is currently in patch 1.0.4. "

lol
Reply Quote

Balance in relation to.. wat, exactly? Where's the bench mark? Because I dont see barbs getting nerf'ed this hard.
Reply Quote
and we anticipate that it will be brought back to roughly where it is currently in patch 1.0.4.

one word, "unused"
Reply Quote
" The skill is still very strong, so the tuning on its proc coefficients will hardly trivialize Meteor builds, and we anticipate that it will be brought back to roughly where it is currently in patch 1.0.4. "

Hang on a second. Apparently there is a meteor build out there somewhere that blizzard is not telling us about. Phew it is a good thing that my meteor build is still going to work with the new patch *rolls eyes*
Reply Quote

If I'm right, balance is a relative term right? May I know the basis of what your team are comparing in term of balancing?

If we look in overall picture, its very lopsided, and modification should be carried out with benchmark. Unless you're creating something from scratch, there's not a correct way to do things based on instinct.

Are you guys animals?
We feel that....
Edited by HachiKumo#6695 on 10/4/2012 1:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote
the game is balanced????

rofl
Reply Quote
In my eyes you effectively say: "We reduced proc coeffs because it is too good paired with CC"
You wish to promote build diversity by tying yet another skill in our already bloated arsenal? Wouldn't decoupling them benefit more build diversity? Or am I just failing to see how much monster damage is nerfed in the range MP1 - MP5 ?

I understand that much of the coeff nerfs came from people abusing cc skills right now. But is this the right answer for it?

Reduced proc coeffs lead to reduced cm/loh procs, which do effect the whole character, the whole playstyle and the whole gear, not just frost nova abuse. Is this intended? Did you consider all the angles, and did this resolve them ALL? Or it's just an easy patch for some issue found randomly in your issue tracker?
Should we expect the same kind of treatment in the future for wizards?

So much questions, I don't even know what to think. I'm losing my will to think about my wizard's gear progression, as it becomes obsolete in every 2 months or so. And I'm not talking about the time to regear it to even a remotely useful state again, but the time it takes to rethink, redo the way I play. I don't have endless hours or cash, or luck to throw at the game, to just plainly ignore careful planning. And I don't even want to. I am sure there are players out there who have, but I don't care about them.

Now, after finally adjusting my gear to 1.0.4 I feel like a wizard again. I managed to drop all the melee skills and my shield. I started to have a balance between dps and survivability, where I can choose what to prioritize.

And here comes 1.0.5: Nerfing survivability, pushing me to use CC... I feel that I again lost my control over my character... It sounds silly, but that's how I feel about the net outcome of the class nerfs and overall "buff" by supposedly reduced monster damage.
Reply Quote
Ok, thats it!
Iam the last one of my friends, who bought Diablo 3 still playing. I have wiz at 34 paragon, which - regarding i have fulltime job, wife and kid - wasnt easy for me and the only reason I was leveling was, because I was really looking forward to this patch.

I swear, that if you pricks would do this stupid nonsense changes, Im done! Nothing in world will persuade me to go back playing the game, where the worst enemy arent monsters but developers!

PS : Never gonna buy any game from blizz! ( and I have origo D1,D2,D3, SC, BW, WC3 and TFT )

PPS : Fu so much
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]