Diablo® III

Blizzard, a serious word regarding meteor

+1.....BILLION!!

i quite happy for them to increase cost and cast delay again if only they would just leave the proc rate alone.
quite frankly the proc of this spell has not been touched since launch, why suddenly reduce it now???

Because someone with godly gear posted a vidoe on the forums using metoer and was able to perma cast it. So everybody with less than godly gear that is not able to even come close to doing that gets screwed.
Reply Quote
I liked meteor the way it was. My favorite build used Star Pact. It allowed me to use skill to land the meteor's just right. The proc rate kept diamond skin and teleport at reasonable cooldown times where I felt that I needed situational awareness to use the skills just right, but they were available when I needed them most of the time without just spamming them like you can with the WW/CM builds.

It was a fun way to play. Not sure how all these changes will impact this style of play but I hope that it won't kill the build for me.
Reply Quote
Blizzard, you are pigeonholing us into using Wicked Wind again! Then what? You're going to nerf Wicked Wind again because too many people are using it? Just frickin listen to us and give us VIABLE alternatives! Please!
Reply Quote
Another, among many others, well constructed thread about 1.05 meteor. Good luck in getting an explanation. Liked it anyhow.
Reply Quote
Agree with OP completely. Just wanted to add that you might have a little more luck getting this read by Blizz if you posted it in the PTR feedback forum. Wizards need to be heard.
Reply Quote
im happy for them to remove frost nova altogether
i personally dont care as i dont perma freeze.

im just asking for our Loh to heal us and APoC to give me AP.

there are other ways to fix cm perma freeze,

i just dont want to lose half my healing and AP gain because they cant find a better way to fix perma freeze or are too much of a coward to admit they want CM removed.

see thats something else i dont get.
theyre buffing cc effects, so in theory, perma freeze becomes easier to accomplish.
for the first few frost novas, the cc effect is longer. and because of that, its easier to set up a perma freeze via ww. gives you more time to cast...
yes, they nerf meteor to a point were its no longer usefull, all because people were useing it in the ptr? its still harder to accomplish a permafreeze with meteor imo
Reply Quote
admit they want CM removed.

Just do this imo.

OR nerf it. Set the maximum that a cool down of a spell can be reduced by to 50%.
Eg, cool down on frost nova with cold snap is 9 secs, make the max CM can reduce it to 4.5 secs.
Effectively kills the perma freeze/diamon skin builds which, let's face it, is what they are trying to do. But means they can stop nerfing everything else.
Edited by Kalix#1100 on 10/3/2012 1:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Community Manager
While the proc coefficient on Meteor and its runes is indeed being nerfed, this change really should be viewed within the full context of the patch. Patch 1.0.5 not only introduces changes to defensive bonuses and monster damage, but also the Monster Power system, and numerous crowd control improvements. Combined with the Meteor’s lowered AP cost and decreased delay between cast and impact, these changes made it so Meteor was more appealing to everyone, which is fine. But they also made the skill extremely efficient (in fact: too efficient) to get Critical Mass procs and 100% CC uptime. Efficiency is good, but there needs to a balance. The skill is still very strong, so the tuning on its proc coefficients will hardly trivialize Meteor builds, and we anticipate that it will be brought back to roughly where it is currently in patch 1.0.4.

That said, skill synergy isn’t where we want it to be for wizards at the moment, and we’re looking at ways to improve that for the future. The sort of changes we’d like to do are more involved than simple numbers-tuning, though, and they weren’t able to make it in with this patch. But we are absolutely working on them.
Edited by Vaeflare on 10/3/2012 4:57 PM PDT
Reply Quote
While the proc coefficient on Meteor and its runes is indeed being nerfed, this change really should be viewed within the full context of the patch. Patch 1.0.5 not only introduces [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/7155884/Developer_Journal_Defensive_Bonuses_and_Monster_Damage-9_14_2012"]changes to defensive bonuses and monster damage[/url], but also the Monster Power system, and [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/7100052/Developer_Journal_Crowd_Control_Changes-9_5_2012"]numerous crowd control improvements[/url]. Combined with the Meteor’s lowered AP cost and decreased delay between cast and impact, these changes made it so Meteor was more appealing to everyone, which is fine. But they also made the skill extremely efficient (in fact: too efficient) to get Critical Mass procs and 100% CC uptime. Efficiency is good, but there needs to a balance. The skill is still very strong, so the tuning on its proc coefficients will hardly trivialize Meteor builds, and we anticipate that it will be brought back to roughly where it is currently in patch 1.0.4.

That said, skill synergy isn’t where we want it to be for wizards at the moment, and we’re looking at ways to improve that for the future. The sort of changes we’d like to do are more involved than simple numbers-tuning, though, and they weren’t able to make it in with this patch. But are we absolutely working on them.

<3
Reply Quote
ut they also made the skill extremely efficient (in fact: too efficient) to get Critical Mass procs and 100% CC uptime

Then nerf Critical Mass. When you nerf the proc, it's not just CM is affected. It significantly reduce LoH and APoC as well. The fact that we wizard get half the LoH that of any other class is just wrong.
Reply Quote
so vaeflare when nobody uses meteor in 1.05 are u gonna admit u were wrong?
Reply Quote

That said, skill synergy isn’t where we want it to be for wizards at the moment, and we’re looking at ways to improve that for the future.

My 41 paragon levels thank you. I'd rather not reroll; knowing there might be light at the end of the tunnel gives me hope
Reply Quote
While the proc coefficient on Meteor and its runes is indeed being nerfed, this change really should be viewed within the full context of the patch. Patch 1.0.5 not only introduces [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/7155884/Developer_Journal_Defensive_Bonuses_and_Monster_Damage-9_14_2012"]changes to defensive bonuses and monster damage[/url], but also the Monster Power system, and [url="http://us.battle.net/d3/en/blog/7100052/Developer_Journal_Crowd_Control_Changes-9_5_2012"]numerous crowd control improvements[/url]. Combined with the Meteor’s lowered AP cost and decreased delay between cast and impact, these changes made it so Meteor was more appealing to everyone, which is fine. But they also made the skill extremely efficient (in fact: too efficient) to get Critical Mass procs and 100% CC uptime. Efficiency is good, but there needs to a balance. The skill is still very strong, so the tuning on its proc coefficients will hardly trivialize Meteor builds, and we anticipate that it will be brought back to roughly where it is currently in patch 1.0.4.

That said, skill synergy isn’t where we want it to be for wizards at the moment, and we’re looking at ways to improve that for the future. The sort of changes we’d like to do are more involved than simple numbers-tuning, though, and they weren’t able to make it in with this patch. But are we absolutely working on them.

Oh meteor was too good? Is halving proc rates the best solution you guys can come up with?

Don't you understand that you're not only halving CM procs, but also LoH and APoC? You can't even increase your APoC and LoH gain from meteor anymore since it isn't affected by anything other than your critical hit chance. Way to buff a skill twice just to nerf it to oblivion.
Reply Quote
10/03/2012 01:41 PMPosted by Akronnis
ut they also made the skill extremely efficient (in fact: too efficient) to get Critical Mass procs and 100% CC uptime

Then nerf Critical Mass. When you nerf the proc, it's not just CM is affected. It significantly reduce LoH and APoC as well. The fact that we wizard get half the LoH that of any other class is just wrong.

This. Nerf critical mass by 50% and restore old procs, or even better nerf it by 75% and boost coefficients by that margin. As it is you kill our synergies with other skills (storm armor/poison weapon/apoc/loh) are totally ruined for something most people dont actually WANT to use, but are forced to.

Yes, thats right, the proc coeficcients FORCE us to use the cheese 100% frost nova uptime instead of giving build diversity, something you said was your priority.
Reply Quote

I have tested the meteor changes extensively on the PTR. The Meteor build is currently STRONGER live, than on the PTR, in my experience. It's hardly even used on live, yet is being reduced in over all effectiveness come 1.05. It's currently outshined, hugely, by Storm Chaser (which is also being gutted).

Why even buff it at all? It went from almost 0 use by the wizard community, to being good (on the PTR), to being back to 0 use. Why even change anything?

I have serious, serious doubts about your internal testing based on your statements made above.
Edited by Phrygian#1545 on 10/3/2012 1:52 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Enough said. Wizard skills are not supposed to interact with each other. Let's not mention that so-called build diversity anymore.

on the other hand... kudos for having the courage to answer to wiz nerfs.
Reply Quote
10/03/2012 01:35 PMPosted by Vaeflare
Efficiency is good, but there needs to a balance

Good phrase, but the problem is you dont balance, you nerf things.
balance will be reduce the proc by 20% 30%, see how it works with new values, if its still unbalance, you move down a bit more.

Why dony you learn a bit from the starcraf2 team? they balance things really well, they move little numbers until find the perfect balance. Thats the way, you cant expect to half the number of procs and say "OK WE GOT BALANCE!"

I dont understand why the diablo team is so stubborn and do things like you do. that is not the way to find balance. You should start doing more micro adjustment to the PTR, instead of huge changes.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]