Diablo® III

Yet Another Suggestion Thread

Disclaimer: I hereby give permission to Blizzard to use any idea stated by me, MammthWffle, within this thread. I do not seek credit or payment for any or all of these suggestions should they be implemented.

- Just in case <3

[Cain's Death Re-imagined]

Most of us know Cain dies, right?
Most of you don't seem to know why he had to die when he did, let me clear this up.
Cain's death was a requirement to move the plot along. Leah needed a reason to believe in the prophecy that Cain had always talked about. This realization comes to her in the cutscene, through Tyrael, as they are about to burn Cain's corpse. Also, if Cain had been alive during act 2 he would have foreseen Adria's plans as well as advising Leah against following it. This obviously would be a problem for the story.

To recap, Cain must die within act 1 so that Leah may come to realize the prophecy is true. Also, so that Leah may reunite with her mother and trust her. With that reasoning set, I would like to move onto the point of this topic, how cain died.

This, for me, was a big upset for such an iconic character. The name Deckard Cain is almost as iconic as Diablo itself. You don't think about Diablo without thinking about Cain, however, with this new death sequence to him it's as if it were forcefully squelched. Conversations are now "So what happened with Deckard Cain?" "Oh, he got butterflied". Is this really how the death of a character we've practically grown up with should be talked about, so nonchalantly? It should be an emotional experience in and out of the game, the current death just does not deliver. However, I would like to remedy this, while keeping the overall story intact.

You arrive within the home of Deckard after being told that Magdha now has all three pieces, Deckard, The Stranger, and Leah. Same situation and dialogue, only now, instead of taking only the stranger, she takes Deckard, the sword pieces and the stranger.

Reason for this, she panicks after Leah's outburst, however sticks to the main goal, getting Deckard to rebuild the sword and keeping The Stranger as a backup plan.

Leah, now infuriated and worried, pleads for you to rescue Deckard, she accompanies you on your journey. This opens up a new experience for you to actually invest in Leah's character rather than her being off to the side.

As you approach Leoric's Manor she explains that she will try and find an alternate route. This allows her to avoid seeing any of the demons and horrors you encounter to keep up with the disbelief she has until the ending cutscene.

As you are about to enter the confrontation room, she meets with you. "Uncle Deckard is here, I don't know how to explain it but I feel the witch nearby" (or something like that).

You enter the room as Magdha is torturing Cain.

"Restore the sword or should I kill your beloved Leah?" - Magdha

"Uncle Deckard!" - Leah exclaims in frustration as she releases and arrow toward Magdha.

"Oh my! You saved me the trouble of finding you, girl. How thoughtful." - Magdha

"You will pay for what you have done to my Uncle" - Leah as her body begins to glow a dark red

"You've come to save your uncle? Well, who will save you from him?" - Magdha says as she casts a spell on deckard as she leaves the room

Leah rushes towards her uncle, "Uncle, are you alright?"

Her uncle's voice strained and changing, "Leah, my dear, stay... ba-"

Deckard slams his arm into Leah causing her to fly across the room as she hits a wall and blacks out. This will once again keep the disbelief needed.

Deckard is transformed into a large malformed version of himself as he is possessed by strong demonic energies.

Your character is now tasked with defeating Deckard Cain (instead of butcher). This adds an emotional layer to Cain's inevitable death, as well as keeping the story intact.

Upon defeating cain, he is transformed back. As his last act of good as he's dying he restores the sword. "You must protect Leah" are his final words (This providing more reason to emotionally invest into leah's character).

You take the sword, save the stranger, return for deckard and Leah, act 1 finishes the same.

Hope I kept everything intact with this suggestion, however, if there is something missing that I have overlooked, feedback would be appreciated!
Edited by MammthWffle#1759 on 10/7/2012 5:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Other Suggestions!

-Game Immersion-
Theres not enough game elements/encounters within the game at the moment. I feel this is why there is a disconnection from player and anything within the game. More monster encounters and environmental hazards would make for better gameplay while keeping the player thinking rather than mindlessly farming.

Examples:
Trapped chests - Monsters spawning from seemingly nowhere as you open a chest is awesome. Its a quick shock factor that excites! Add more! Also, with the addition of NV stacks per resplendant in 1.0.5 having them release effects similar to elite affixes would be fun; Molten explosion as you open one, awesome.

"Dead" ends - Randomly having a dead end that triggers a swarm of monsters to surprise the player and have them feeling like they are fighting for their life simply for making a wrong turn would be lots of fun and keep side dungeon exploring fresh.

Environmental Hazards - Cave/Building collapses that happen on random tiles which ultimately block a previous path however also opening another path (possibly previously explored dead end).

Puzzles! - Having random puzzles or mini puzzles breaks up the monotony of just slaying monsters over and over, having a room of gold/chests behind these also would make them fun to solve.

Hidden Hoarding - Similar to environmental hazards, you could just randomly step on something and hear a clicking sound. Congratulations you now have unlocked a previously hidden room... or a trap thats about to hit you in your face (avalance of dead LOOTABLE corpses perhaps? :D)

-The Good Ol' Rune system-
The original Rune system was an awesome idea, hunting for runes to empower your spells and finding different tiers! I would like to suggest a revisit to the original idea

Some Ideas:
Keep current skill up system, however, implement skill points during the levels you'd normally get the runes. This pleases the players who wanted to play with points and fills in the blanks now that runes must be found. Also, you can change how NV works and remove it upon skill point resets, this way people can swap spells if wanted based on situation, however they might not be any of the empowered-by-points spells.

Rune tiers AND types are only found within set difficulties. Example, splinters is only found within Normal act 1 is lowest tiers, act 4 is highest tiers. More of the game is being farmed, gives low level players a chance to make some gold if they get lucky with a rune. Possibly good for the economy?

Example: Poison Dart has a max of 10 points. Each point increases its damage, at 10 points the dart explodes on impact for a small aoe (or you gain an additional dart).

Example 2: Zombie dogs have a max of 15 points. Each point increases damage and health slightly, at 15 points you gain an additional dog (or the ability to empower your dogs with your spells as originally planned).

They can easily balance around the overall gains from points. Its no different than what they are doing with rune buffs/nerfs at the moment. They are trying to get stuff in line so it is more appealing.

As for the inventory "issue" we can simply have the runes drop off the bosses in each act when at 5 stacks of nephalem valor.

-Dat Mystic-
With softcore needing a proper item dump, I would like to suggest a revisit of the Mystic.

Idea/Suggestion:
Have him disenchant rares taking 1 random stat away from them. This stat will be put into a purchasable and sorted pool of stat types and tiers. Stat tiers will be very strict, for example, 414 Life on Hit is taken from a weapon, it will then be put in your stat pool under the 400-414 pool just under the 415-430. Once a stat is used it is removed from the pool.

Stat pool usage will be restricted only to enchanted white or grey items. In order to enchant these items, there will be a fee of x amount of essence/tear (or equivelent) and gold per stat 'slot'. You may then fill these slots with stats from your pool for x amount of gold depending on tier of stat.

This will allow budgeting of gear or splurging and having a good piece while giving every run a purpose even if you don't find the best of gear. This also does not remove incentive to auction hunt allowing auction house to have a place within the game.

I would like to see the Mystic come back. Let her enchant any piece of gear. Also let her have enchants that have affixes that cannot spawn on any piece of gear. Where you would have affixes that would make your skills both active and passives more useful.

Example

Mojo's Ward: This enchant will increase Vision Quest's mana regeneration to 50% while using any primary attack like the current version. also it would add in a reduction to all CC's.

I would like to extend upon this idea...

Perhaps instead of just letting her have enchants and giving you more recipes to find... Let the player discover these recipes through mixing and matching of enchants from their stat pool. A simple mechanic similar to combining gems. This would provide more of a gold/resource dump.

Example:

Mojo's Ward would be found through Offhand's Mana regen stat(x2) + Ceremonial Dagger Max Mana(x1)

The potency yield could be averaged between the stat tier within your pool.

-Extended Dungeons-
Every dungeon has 2 levels! Why? Suggestion, a random amount of levels 2-20 with increasing difficulty as you go down as well as increased amount of resplendants per level!
This will encourage exploration as well as rewarding it (which is what was said to be intended).

-Brand new Affixes!- Original Post: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6679368052#13

Examples:
Regeneration - Monster regenerates 5% of its health every second it is not being attacked.

Summoner - Monster summons regular versions of itself.

Chilled - Monster moves more slowly but occasionally releases ice blasts when struck.

Decaying - Monster loses 1% of its hp every 5 seconds when in combat, decreases enemy all resists by 5 when struck.

Empowered Affix Examples(For MP):
Arcane Enchanted - Now emits beams from both ends of the orb.
Shielding - 2 Monsters can now be shielded at any time.
Fire chains - Can now be connected between additional normal monsters nearby
Edited by MammthWffle#1759 on 10/13/2012 12:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Nice ideas, I hope Blizzard will continue to add GOOD ideas in the future.

Quick idea for your additional monster affixes on elites:

Have something that is kinda like "Health Link" but a bit more difficult.

Spawns for either elite or champ packs and every monster will be "invincible" when they are damaged to half their life. To get over this invincibility you have to get all of the monsters to half of their life. Then you can finish them off without worry.

So yea, like Health Link but probably harder in that you have to fight all the elites/champ pack instead of one to bring down all their life (for elite packs).
Reply Quote
What are the relationship of Server with amount of Triggers in one application?
Reply Quote
I hate to do this... but.. bump.
Reply Quote
"You've come to save your uncle? Well, who will save you from him?" - Magdha says as she casts a spell on deckard as she leaves the room

Leah rushes towards her uncle, "Uncle, are you alright?"

Her uncle's voice strained and changing, "Leah, my dear, stay... ba-"

Deckard slams his arm into Leah causing her to fly across the room as she hits a wall and blacks out. This will once again keep the disbelief needed.

Deckard is transformed into a large malformed version of himself as he is possessed by strong demonic energies.

Your character is now tasked with defeating Deckard Cain (instead of butcher). This adds an emotional layer to Cain's inevitable death, as well as keeping the story intact.

I really like this idea, the only spin I might put on it would be that perhaps Magda tries to cast the spell on Leah first (in an attempt to get the hero killed with Diablo's power) and then Cain jumps in the way, still getting transformed.

I didn't mind the Butcher when I first encountered him, despite the blatant recycling of D1 bosses. However, when he uttered the phrase "Vegetables bad, meat good!" for the first time, I wanted to find whoever wrote that piece of dialogue and spit in their face.

Now allow me to further complain about some of the bosses in this game, in an attempt to have the OP re-write or re-design them ;) Spider queen boss, pretty damned easy for one and then they basically recycle her with Cydea(?) in act 3. Why couldn't the have made Skeleton King summon some of his loyal lieutenants as minions to fight you? They would be elites or champions perhaps in ability. The bosses in this game in general are a cake walk, but could be fleshed out so much better.

Anyway that was a little bit of self indulgent rambling, I do like the rest of your suggestions as well, particularly the bits about the Mystic and crafting. Keep it coming OP.
Reply Quote
-Extended Dungeons-
Every dungeon has 2 levels! Why? Suggestion, a random amount of levels 2-20 with increasing difficulty as you go down as well as increased amount of resplendants per level!
This will encourage exploration as well as rewarding it (which is what was said to be intended).

This. i would also add that you can only enter these dungeons if you consume one legendary key from taht act(or maybe 3). Sou you still need to farm in order to get to these awesome uber-dungeons.
Reply Quote
BUMP for extended dungeons
Reply Quote
Thanks for the feedback so far!

I have more suggestions, will be adding them soon.
Reply Quote
Loving these suggestions, MammthWffle! Keep 'em coming :]
Reply Quote
First of all I see no character in a game as having the need to be immortal, where they keep on living forever. I am sure that even the horadrim do not live forever.

Also the way that Cain dies does make sense. Sure to many it might not appear to make sense but it would to me. You see you might not understand how magic works. I have no doubt that in the world of sanctuary you could have spells that would be designed to kill a horadrim. But only a few know about the spells.

When Maghda used the spell, that spell along with the torture and all of the things Cain had suffered. Maybe even his advanced age and poor health. All of this together was more than enough to kill him. Even Leah knew it by how she reacted after her outburst.

Now I know you will say that the attack she used was the same she hits us with and we survive it. It does not one shot us, true but we are not horadrim. We are called a Nephalem instead of Horadrim. That is why we survive.

Much the same way as any magic spell that would be designed to kill all rats in a sewer. Now let's say that there are 1,000 mice but only 500 rats. After the wizard uses the spell only the 500 rats die, the mice are left unharmed since they are mice and not rats.
Reply Quote
Puzzles! - Having random puzzles or mini puzzles breaks up the monotony of just slaying monsters over and over, having a room of gold/chests behind these also would make them fun to solve.

Puzzles in any game are always hard to do. Making them fun and have players that will keep playing them. The reason is once the solution is figured out then the challenge of the puzzle is gone.

-The Good Ol' Rune system-
The original Rune system was an awesome idea, hunting for runes to empower your spells and finding different tiers! I would like to suggest a revisit to the original idea

Some Ideas:
Keep current skill up system, however, implement skill points during the levels you'd normally get the runes. This pleases the players who wanted to play with points and fills in the blanks now that runes must be found. Also, you can change how NV works and remove it upon skill point resets, this way people can swap spells if wanted based on situation, however they might not be any of the empowered-by-points spells.

Rune tiers AND types are only found within set difficulties. Example, splinters is only found within Normal act 1 is lowest tiers, act 4 is highest tiers. More of the game is being farmed, gives low level players a chance to make some gold if they get lucky with a rune. Possibly good for the economy?

Having runes as drop was an inventory issue. Players love to have the ability to change how their skills works. More so when Blizz finds a way to make all runes useful in some way.

Skill points of any kind just will not work as far as build diversity goes. You will always have an optimal way to spend them. Since players hate wasting points they will always use the optimal path. Only a select few will be unique little snowflakes with non optimal builds.

Trying to make skill points in this game fit just will not work regardless how you do it. In order for them to exist you would have to redesign the whole skill system from the ground up. Doing like they originally planned to do it. But then the problem would be that players would only have a few active skills that they would use. That would not give build diversity.

I would like to see the Mystic come back. Let her enchant any piece of gear. Also let her have enchants that have affixes that cannot spawn on any piece of gear. Where you would have affixes that would make your skills both active and passives more useful.

Example

Mojo's Ward: This enchant will increase Vision Quest's mana regeneration to 50% while using any primary attack like the current version. also it would add in a reduction to all CC's.
Reply Quote
First of all I see no character in a game as having the need to be immortal, where they keep on living forever. I am sure that even the horadrim do not live forever.

Also the way that Cain dies does make sense. Sure to many it might not appear to make sense but it would to me. You see you might not understand how magic works. I have no doubt that in the world of sanctuary you could have spells that would be designed to kill a horadrim. But only a few know about the spells.

When Maghda used the spell, that spell along with the torture and all of the things Cain had suffered. Maybe even his advanced age and poor health. All of this together was more than enough to kill him. Even Leah knew it by how she reacted after her outburst.

Now I know you will say that the attack she used was the same she hits us with and we survive it. It does not one shot us, true but we are not horadrim. We are called a Nephalem instead of Horadrim. That is why we survive.

Much the same way as any magic spell that would be designed to kill all rats in a sewer. Now let's say that there are 1,000 mice but only 500 rats. After the wizard uses the spell only the 500 rats die, the mice are left unharmed since they are mice and not rats.

The major problem isn't just how he died, but its the complete lack of a climactic conclusion of a character that has been in the series from the start. He literally just gets hit and toppled over, this kind of thing should never happen to a long standing character in any story, its a big middle finger to the audience who love the franchise.

Puzzles in any game are always hard to do. Making them fun and have players that will keep playing them. The reason is once the solution is figured out then the challenge of the puzzle is gone.

In a game like this, puzzles could easily be implemented. You could have an area tile that would normally be a dead end but make the whole room a puzzle.

Example: Pentagram is diagrammed on the floor, there are 4 moveable rings within the floor that have 5 demonic figurines embedded in them. Obviously, you have to match them to each point, however.... the inner ring and second outer (3rd) ring can be moved on their own, the outer ring and second inner (2nd) ring can move, however, they also move the other rings in the opposite direction. Meaning, if the outer most ring is moved, the inner is moved in the opposite direction and the second inner ring moves the third ring. One of the ring obviously contains two figurines, once properly aligned, they move to their points and the secret room is opened up.

This can be completely randomized as far as ring movement/figurine placement. Meaning it keeps it fresh. This is just one example of many possibilities that could be implemented.

Having runes as drop was an inventory issue. Players love to have the ability to change how their skills works. More so when Blizz finds a way to make all runes useful in some way.

Skill points of any kind just will not work as far as build diversity goes. You will always have an optimal way to spend them. Since players hate wasting points they will always use the optimal path. Only a select few will be unique little snowflakes with non optimal builds.

Trying to make skill points in this game fit just will not work regardless how you do it. In order for them to exist you would have to redesign the whole skill system from the ground up. Doing like they originally planned to do it. But then the problem would be that players would only have a few active skills that they would use. That would not give build diversity.

People already try and go into the optimal path of abilities and runes for max farming efficiency, no matter what you do people will always go for it. The goal is to give everyone as many options as possible. Adding skill points into the game while maintaining a similar rune system as the current would open up diversity as there are more options to test out.

Example: Poison Dart has a max of 10 points. Each point increases its damage, at 10 points the dart explodes on impact for a small aoe (or you gain an additional dart).

Example 2: Zombie dogs have a max of 15 points. Each point increases damage and health slightly, at 15 points you gain an additional dog (or the ability to empower your dogs with your spells as originally planned).

They can easily balance around the overall gains from points. Its no different than what they are doing with rune buffs/nerfs at the moment. They are trying to get stuff in line so it is more appealing.

As for the inventory "issue" we can simply have the runes drop off the bosses in each act when at 5 stacks of nephalem valor.

Example

I would like to extend upon this idea...

Perhaps instead of just letting her have enchants and giving you more recipes to find... Let the player discover these recipes through mixing and matching of enchants from their stat pool. A simple mechanic similar to combining gems. This would provide more of a gold/resource dump.

Example:

Mojo's Ward would be found through Offhand's Mana regen stat(x2) + Ceremonial Dagger Max Mana(x1)

The potency yield could be averaged between the stat tier within your pool.
Edited by MammthWffle#1759 on 10/13/2012 12:43 PM PDT
Reply Quote
2nd post edited/updated with additional examples to current ideas for clarity.

Feedback will be appreciated. I will be adding new ideas soon!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]