Diablo® III

Loving fierce loy. with 16k thorns/ 1k regen

Just wanted to share that I've found thorns works really well with leaching beasts; and when you are giving your pets thorns and life regen, they certainly don't need jungle fortitude; and I would say the same for zombie handler, since if all 4 dogs arent taking hits and receiving hits; 3 dogs will heal you for more because the healing will divide by 4 instead of 5. (likewise if by some miracle you end up having one die; having only two out would covey additional benefit provided you are facing 1-2 targets only.

I will go on to give more tips/suggestions for my build or another pet orientated variation below.

So basically; for passives I am recommending Blood ritual + fierce loyalty + spirit vessel*
(first 2 should be obvious from above; spirit vessel is the best 3rd slot; because it gives you more mana back from spirit walk (via shorter cd) and is a free death for that time you go afk or trying to eat a hot pocket at the keyboard. I think honored guest spirit walk rune should most definitely be paired with it because of the bonus of getting 30% mana back 2 seconds sooner.

The flexible part in build is hex; personally I like the set and forget CC, ability to have it heal myself, my pet(s), or party members; and 10% extra damage to the chicken can't hurt! Other good options would be sacrifice-pride (i personally dont like it thought because if i hit it on accident soon after summoning them it hurts my heart to go 30 sec without.

Lastly, Burning Axe of Sanki's (my most recent item purchase) seems to work great with fire bomb (and for that I would recommend roll the bones rune; because nothing else can give you 3x aoe explosions per cast (even if 1-2 bounces hit 2-3 target each on average; still great compared to 1 cast of other primaries (besides rot mainly) leading to a more confined damage range. It's also great fun to try n set up for a double hit on a monster with it by being pretty close and "bouncing the basketball" right between the monster and you; ideally it should land on his nose 2nd bounce and 3rd bounce his !@#. Although not always feasible, definitely makes gameplay more interesting when you can look for opportunities to multiple your effective DPS like you can with roll the bones rune!

Oh, btw I only have ~43k dps (no buffs on it though) and I can clear white mobs in 1-3 fire bombs and elites in <60 sec usually a good amount less ( Act 3 inferno ). Having dropped from ~60k I really don't notice too much diff in current content speed (although maybe the 16k thorns is more then compensating)
Edited by enigma#1886 on 10/4/2012 1:02 PM PDT
Reply Quote
cool. I tried a thorns build a after the last patch. got frustrated with act 3 though and moved to a more cookie cutter dps bears build. nice work
Reply Quote
Thanks

I started out more cookie cutter, but still acid cloud; then tried the ac+bears variation and got enticed to give bears quite a bit of time for fine tuning, but I found I can survive better like this and have much better mobility while outputting equivalent damage over time if not more.

I went thorns mode once I had gotten gear with ~6k thorns (mostly just to see if leaching beasts worked well with it/ was it worth time/gold to upgrade; but it hasn't taken me long to upgrade my thorns damage a whole lot (probably spent about a week assembling/upgrading total). Partly this was because the items were relatively cheap (although few in number listed at any one time) and partly because my previous equipment often sold for equivalent or more :).
Edited by enigma#1886 on 10/4/2012 1:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
2 the top
Reply Quote
How do you like the axe? I've been thinking about trying one out.
Reply Quote
I am having bad connection today and just got it, so only got to do a couple runs. But it seems really good so far. everytime my ball hits a couple targets or more i seem to at least get 1 crit and they seem to have gone up a good bit with the % fire dmg, i havnt noticed the proc, but i did not die at all in the a3 run i did b4 even with bad connection, still cant comment on that really yet
Reply Quote
I don't think I have the patience to re-gear and try a real Thorn build but good to know that somebody enjoys the mechanism.

I still think Loyalty should give more than 100%.
Reply Quote
I was close to 10k thorns the other night, but recently dropped it back down while trying to get my life regen back up to something decent.

I love the idea behind thorns, but I don't think I'm going to actively raise it now. I bought a Skorn last week as well as some +crit%, and when every 3rd Fire Bomb/AC is critting for 200k the non-scaling thorns damage seems like a waste of time. If thorns damage counts towards pet damage for the sake of Leeching Beasts then that might change things, although I'm 99% sure it doesn't.
Reply Quote
I was close to 10k thorns the other night, but recently dropped it back down while trying to get my life regen back up to something decent.

I love the idea behind thorns, but I don't think I'm going to actively raise it now. I bought a Skorn last week as well as some +crit%, and when every 3rd Fire Bomb/AC is critting for 200k the non-scaling thorns damage seems like a waste of time. If thorns damage counts towards pet damage for the sake of Leeching Beasts then that might change things, although I'm 99% sure it doesn't.

It does contribute but its always divided by #dog alive+1 (for you) no matter if you or they actually need healing or not. Still adds up to extra life regen and damage in one stat.
Reply Quote
They need to scale thorns with damage or something. The HP mobs will have in MP5+ just won't make sense to do thorns build I'm guessing.
Reply Quote
id assume as progressing through mp lvls will get more thorns damage rolling on rares; regardless it keeps leaching dogs alive, and they have a version of force armor so only need to regen a set amount of hp in a set amount of time because the value of incoming dmg to them is capped. meanwhile, at the same time it will add to dmg out per time and give some bonus passive self life regen, so i am not too worried.
Edited by enigma#1886 on 10/4/2012 5:14 PM PDT
Reply Quote
hi
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]