Diablo® III

Be Smart: Sell gear before Patch 1.0.5 Hits!

As I suggested a week and a half ago, only fools are spending money on gear now. Most of the savy AH watchers have been selling their gear steadily over the last two weeks in anticipation of patch 1.0.5.

Why are AH watchers selling in droves? Because we believe that gear prices will take a big haircut post-patch 1.0.5. This may take a week or two to happen, but the time will come much more quickly than most anticipate. For details why, see this thread: http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6714702877

During the last 3 days, gold and gear prices creeped up slightly for no apparent reason, which was great for people trying to unload (I converted my best items into RMAH winnings). The upward price momentum, however, was stopped cold by the new PTR update.

The Hellfire Ring has been nerfed, which means there is pretty much no reason to gear up to farm the high MP levels. Since that's the case, speed farming the low MP levels with high MF gear will be the way to go. If you haven't already, I suggest selling your best gear now, then rebuying it at a fraction of the price a week or two after the patch 1.0.5 hits.

Join the selling party and profit!
Reply Quote
Maybe you should wait until the new patch comes out..? If you actually gave it half a chance you won't be totally disapointed when everyone relizes that hey this is great! But wait... I have no gear and gear prices went up!!! All those cuts you lost from selling your stuff will actually make you lose money lol
Reply Quote
SlingFox will have fun farming monster power with his hamburger!!
Reply Quote
I have been selling all my extra gear that I no longer use. I will keep all my gear I am currently using as none of it is worth more than two or three million and besides, it's already ilvl63 so I don't expect much, if any upgrade there.
Reply Quote
10/06/2012 01:05 AMPosted by Dan
Maybe you should wait until the new patch comes out..? If you actually gave it half a chance you won't be totally disapointed when everyone relizes that hey this is great! But wait... I have no gear and gear prices went up!!! All those cuts you lost from selling your stuff will actually make you lose money lol

Playing the AH is always a gamble, but several changes in store for 1.0.5 suggest to a decline in gear prices from current levels. Specifically, "good" items will become more common post patch due to (1) the increase in drop rates (i.e., the doubling of the legendary drop rate), (2) the monster level system which gives more MF, and (3) how attributes will be determined by monster level rather than item level.

There is some degree of gold inflation since there aren't very many gold sinks and people are farming gold more and more efficiently. However, this is more than offset by the declining player base and the associated decline in gold prices on the RMAH over time. Not too long ago, you could sell gold for $2 a million. That dropped to 55 cents a million around 11 days ago before going up to 75 cents a million last night. Within a few hours of the new PTR update, gold prices dropped by 10% and was trading at around 68 cents a million last time I checked.

Anyhow, the trend is clear: gold is getting cheaper, good gear will become more common past-patch = gear prices should be dropping from a real money perspective.

I think it's okay to hold on to you gear, but if you have gold stockpiled, it would not be smart to go on a shopping spree. Better to either sell or wait for the economy to settle down then make your move.
Reply Quote
10/06/2012 01:05 AMPosted by Dan

Be careful about underestimating that burger. It has over 17,000 elite kills!

After I sold off my weapon, offhand and chest, I didn't know what to buy. Figured I would pick up a burger and fries so I have something to eat as I watch AH prices drop :)
Reply Quote
All I can say is that, I am still looking forward to patch 1.05 :D
Reply Quote
10/06/2012 01:15 AMPosted by Ace
I have been selling all my extra gear that I no longer use. I will keep all my gear I am currently using as none of it is worth more than two or three million and besides, it's already ilvl63 so I don't expect much, if any upgrade there.

Unless you have other games to play, I think it makes sense to keep gear that is good enough to farm current inferno effectively. If you have expensive items, however, now is the time to cash out since you can likely repurchase that gear in a few weeks at a discount.

Similarly, if you are selling gear and/or are sitting on a stockpile of gold, don't spend it now. Wait a few weeks in hopes that prices will drop. Those who purchased gear leading up to 1.0.4 lost big. One week after that patch hit, high quality rares (but not necessarily goldly quailty rares) cratered in value as more people were able to farm a nerfed inferno and legendaries became popular. I predict that gear prices will also drop post patch 1.0.5 for the reasons outlined in the posts above.
Reply Quote
Absolutely amazed anyone could have a big enough ego to predict anything at this point. You and all of us play on a test server and think things are final. smfh
Reply Quote
Fact is most GG gear you would consider back in 1.0.3 days can be bought today for less than 5m a piece I can guarantee you that. Which is to say you can easily farm the content without spending huge amount of money.

The only people who are going to get hurt in 1.0.5 is the people who has 500m+ gear set because eventually legendary and set item will flood the AH market and things will become a lot cheaper. To be honest the set bonus on most sets are not even that impressive anyways.

Spoken like a true AH tycoon. Thank you sir.
Reply Quote
Fact is most GG gear you would consider back in 1.0.3 days can be bought today for less than 5m a piece I can guarantee you that. Which is to say you can easily farm the content without spending huge amount of money.

The only people who are going to get hurt in 1.0.5 is the people who has 500m+ gear set because eventually legendary and set item will flood the AH market and things will become a lot cheaper. To be honest the set bonus on most sets are not even that impressive anyways.

Spoken like a true AH tycoon. Thank you sir.

He's wrong.
Reply Quote
10/06/2012 01:49 AMPosted by Kadderly
Absolutely amazed anyone could have a big enough ego to predict anything at this point. You and all of us play on a test server and think things are final. smfh

So instead of predicting and planning, what do you suggest? Closing your eyes to what's happening around you and hope for the best? Good luck with that!
Reply Quote
10/06/2012 02:08 AMPosted by SlingFox

So instead of predicting and planning, what do you suggest? Closing your eyes to what's happening around you and hope for the best? Good luck with that!

With the way Blizz does things?! Predicting anything is like me predicting when the world will end. Why waste the energy.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]