Diablo® III

Throw + 300th Spear

Check out my build; I use throw and a 300th spear that gives me +50% throw damage. I really feel like this spear is a hinderance at times, since, to what I've seen on the AH, there arent any with sockets close to the damage boost (please correct me if I'm wrong) that I have.

At some point, will the spear be useless for the build, or should I drop some bonus damage and use one with a socket (if they're out there) instead?

Also, any recommendations on the build or gear? It works nice in PTR, but I've been having some trouble finding a decent replacement for War Cry at lower monster levels (currently using Overpower in its place).
Edited by Souljah11#1199 on 10/8/2012 1:25 PM PDT
Reply Quote
No battle rage? If you're not going to use Into the Fray for limitless throwing, at least use Marauder's Rage for the sizeable 30% boost to DPS.

Anyway, interesting hybrid throw build. I'm running something a bit more traditional.
Reply Quote
No battle rage? If you're not going to use Into the Fray for limitless throwing, at least use Marauder's Rage for the sizeable 30% boost to DPS.

Anyway, interesting hybrid throw build. I'm running something a bit more traditional.

Ill be sure to try that, I swapped over to Berserker for a bit but I find it collecting dust on my skill bar...
As far as items go what should I upgrade? Im thinking of dropping 300th spear and getting something with LS for an off hand, then upgrading my main hand
Reply Quote
Getting a spear with a socket and 40%+ bonus and a -5 throw belt should be at the top of your priority on making a throw barb.

Right now your character is a mess. I'm not sure what you're trying to do right now with your build and gear. It seems like you have 1 foot in the weapon throw side of the room, and the other foot in the melee slugger room.

1) You don't have the No Escape, which is how you generate fury as a throw barb, and adds 10% damage to them.
2) You only have a -2 throw belt.
3) Given the first 2 problems, you should atleast have Battle Rage, Into the Fray to help with your fury problems. You don't
4) Brawler, which requires you to be in melee with mobs for it to even be useful doesn't make sense for a throw barb
5) Other than weapon throw, all of your other skills are melee oriented.

After all this, you still have a 300th spear... You need to figure out what you want to do man.
Edited by Fizzlesprig#1762 on 10/8/2012 3:05 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Getting a spear with a socket and 40%+ bonus and a -5 throw belt should be at the top of your priority on making a throw barb.

Right now your character is a mess. I'm not sure what you're trying to do right now with your build and gear. It seems like you have 1 foot in the weapon throw side of the room, and the other foot in the melee slugger room.

1) You don't have the No Escape, which is how you generate fury as a throw barb, and adds 10% damage to them.
2) You only have a -2 throw belt.
3) Given the first 2 problems, you should atleast have Battle Rage, Into the Fray to help with your fury problems. You don't
4) Brawler, which requires you to be in melee with mobs for it to even be useful doesn't make sense for a throw barb
5) Other than weapon throw, all of your other skills are melee oriented.

After all this, you still have a 300th spear... You need to figure out what you want to do man.

Im trying to go for a mix; Im not just a throw barb, I want a backup in case I run into a pack up close, hence cleave and the damage rune.

Right now, instead of into the fray I'm using the extra damage rune for Battle Cry, but I am going to experiment with the two, and I think once I get my unbuffed dps up about 10k i'll swap over

I decided to use inspiring presence so I can get some health regen in there.

I plan to get a weapon with some LS so I can start getting some health back from ricochet (as far as I know I dont get LOH from that) and my AOE's, but keep whatever LOH I do have for cleave when I get stuck in a group.

Basically, throw is just the introduction to an engagement, the dps increase helps knock their health down quite a bit, then when I run out of fury I can run in for cleave.

The only issue I have at the moment is the initial attack, as I have no fury at that moment.

Hopefully that will provide some insight as to what I'm trying to do
Edited by Souljah11#1199 on 10/8/2012 3:19 PM PDT
Reply Quote
dude, if u wanna use throw skill - u have to either go throw barb with a variant or throw barb as pure...

for pure throw - -4/5 throw belt should be enough
for variants - u need at least -8/9 throw belt + soj/skull to be effective

otherwise its really not worth going the route u intended.

300 spear goes hand in hand with throw spec!
Reply Quote
dude, if u wanna use throw skill - u have to either go throw barb with a variant or throw barb as pure...

for pure throw - -4/5 throw belt should be enough
for variants - u need at least -8/9 throw belt + soj/skull to be effective

otherwise its really not worth going the route u intended.

300 spear goes hand in hand with throw spec!

Im not anywhere close when it comes to gold to get an upgrade with the extra throw reduction.

Sat and thought about the Into the Fray rune and think I'll try that instead of the 30% damage bonus rune since it only dumbs it down by 15%, having that extra fury would be nice.

What are you talking about when you say soj and skull by the way?
Reply Quote
For me, 1 fury to throw. Never run out of fury. No escape + into the fray procs 30 fury per crit.
A multiple crit proc with riochet rune gives me almost instant max fury again.

Look at my soj, theres -4 fury for throw, belt -5.
so 10 fury -9 = 1fury perthrow. Get it now?
Edited by Horngyuh80#6218 on 10/8/2012 6:00 PM PDT
Reply Quote
For me, 1 fury to throw. Never run out of fury. No escape + into the fray procs 30 fury per crit.
A multiple crit proc with riochet rune gives me almost instant max fury again.

Look at my soj, theres -4 fury for throw, belt -5.
so 10 fury -9 = 1fury perthrow. Get it now?

Yes thats cool and all, but I dont exactly walk about with $40 just to throw to gold, looked on the AH, none as close as yours. I mean its cool and all that you gain 30 fury per crit, good for you, also good for you that you only spend 1 fury per throw, but guess what? 70mil for cheapest IK belt like that. I've got a life off the keyboard and not enough $ to buy gold. So...donations?
Reply Quote
buy a rare belt, lamentation, or any other legend belt with -4 throw
doesnt necessarily have to be ik mate
Reply Quote
Dumbing down the strength on my belt, losing vitality and some all res for 1 less fury...all I see are IK. The problem isnt the lack of fury I have, its staying alive and needing more damage. I'm experimenting with skills right now, and No Escape, even though it gens another 15 fury, I dont need that much. Inspiring presence helps keep me alive, as well as increase the duration of Battle Rage > keeps me alive.
Reply Quote
maybe you can check my profile. i only have -4 throw,
Reply Quote
ohai guyz

Just started researching throw yesterday (was huge into in in D2). After trying multiple combinations, I came up with this late last night. It seems really effective...The only problems are that I am not in LoH gear, sacrificing a lot of STR for my magic find, and IP and health globes are my main source for health.

if I get a large group together, or use sprint to get to another block quickly, I can stay in WoTB for almost half the cooldown, with more practice I think I will be close to making it the entire cooldown. With all that fury regen...it's prety sweet.

LoH would be nice for my nados to feed me some health while I do a quick run by a group of mobs..but w/ a couple nados and up and using throw, WoTB refreshes cooldown so fast

I know my gear isn't the best, I was specced magic find sword and board before this. Anyways, I am interested in feedback.
Edited by UNKTONE#1555 on 10/9/2012 4:45 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Hey Souljah11

I've been throw barb since the game came out. All the advice abouve is very sound and I suggest you really try to focus on getting the -5 fury belt (doesn't have to be IK, although should really try to aim for IK belt because not many other belts are better value for their cost).

In answer to your original question, if you DO want to run 300th spear, it must have a socket, over 1k dps (or 999) and throw must be 50% with ancient spear (if you use) at least 48%. Why these numbers? Anything less and you will be outdone by a 1100 dps weapon with a socket and good crit damage. Although my profile does not show, I have a 300th spear with 959 DPS and 49% throw/ancient spear, and it crit Ricochet for 400K+ damage. With my current axe offhand, i crit max 290k+ on Richochet. However, as you can see, I also use Seismic Slam, and therefore the extra crit damage from my offhand with lifesteal is very enjoyable.

At the very highest ends of gear, you will find that a 1200 dps weapon, open socket, 60+ crit damage, and lifesteal and this will be MUCH better for your survivability than 300th spear because it will have life steal. This 1200 weapon WILL end up throwing for the same amoutn of damage as your 1k dps, open socket, 50% throw 48% ancient spear weapon. However, as you can see, making the jump from a "very awesome" 300th spear to a "godly" rare weapon is... 700 million gold. But is the 700 million gold worth it? I say yes because you will be able to take other skills aside from weapon throw and still do KILLER damage. If you take your 300th spear, you will be limited to weapon throw b/c of the inherently inferior stats of 300th spear (no inherent crit damage, no lifesteal).

Edit: If you are low on effective HP (read as low on all resistance, and low on armor b/c low on strength), take Warcry (impunity if you have the all resistance) and the Superstitution or one of the armor passives in place of No Escape. No Escape is only there when people have such good gear that they can 1 shot all the mobs and kill elites in 3 seconds (not exaggerating). When you can see your character do 100kdps unbuffed on your paper doll DPS, you can start to make that change to No Escape passive. For now, your fury regen should come from Battle rage (Into the Fray). I also suggest taking one power that saves your life like Leap (Iron Impact) or Charge (Merciless Assault) or Rend (Bloodlust) or Revenge (Provocation)
Edited by Boohaha#1553 on 10/9/2012 4:59 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Why are you suggesting a high DPS 300th spear? It's just cosmetics for your char sheet really. Your throws will hit for exactly the same amount when using a 600DPS and a 1100 DPS 300th spear, with otherwise same stats. So it's really better to get a cheap one with 48+ Damage and put the saved many towards some better use. (Of course this is only valid if the spear is used as an off hand. But most of us do that anyways)
Edited by dcdead#2517 on 10/9/2012 9:01 AM PDT
Reply Quote
10/09/2012 08:59 AMPosted by dcdead
Why are you suggesting a high DPS 300th spear? It's just cosmetics for your char sheet really. Your throws will hit for exactly the same amount when using a 600DPS and a 1100 DPS 300th spear, with otherwise same stats. So it's really better to get a cheap one with 48+ Damage and put the saved many towards some better use. (Of course this is only valid if the spear is used as an off hand. But most of us do that anyways)

weapon throw switches between MH and OH, unlike RLTW. DPS MATTERS. you do not know what you are talking about
Reply Quote
10/09/2012 09:25 AMPosted by INVOKER

weapon throw switches between MH and OH, unlike RLTW. DPS MATTERS. you do not know what you are talking about

^ as stated above, weapon trow switches between mainhand and offhand. If you look carefully at your attack speed (assuming your weapon speeds are different) you can see that after each weapon throw, your attack speed changes. Ergo, you switch after every throw. Also, it has been stated in blue text that weapon throw switches between weapons.
Reply Quote
I just wanted to add, actually question if anyone can confirm, since weapon throw switches between MH and OH, does anyone else feel that the 50% extra throw damage only applies when you throw your 300th spear? I have never tested but I have this feeling that the 50% weapon throw only applies to the time I throw my 300th spear (which has inferior crit damage and dps, but has the 50% throw damage) and not when I throw my other weapon. I may be totally wrong, and would appreciate any input.

I feel this because
1) Equipping 300th spear allows me to achieve 200k - 440k crit damage on weapon throw
2) NOT equipping 300th spear allows me to achieve 180k - 290k crit damage on weapon throw.
3) Since the minimum damage is about the same, but the max damage is way different, functionallly it feels like 300th spear's 50% throw damage only applies when I throw the 300th spear.

Input is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your corrections, other-throw-barbs.
Reply Quote
I just wanted to add, actually question if anyone can confirm, since weapon throw switches between MH and OH, does anyone else feel that the 50% extra throw damage only applies when you throw your 300th spear? I have never tested but I have this feeling that the 50% weapon throw only applies to the time I throw my 300th spear (which has inferior crit damage and dps, but has the 50% throw damage) and not when I throw my other weapon. I may be totally wrong, and would appreciate any input.

I feel this because
1) Equipping 300th spear allows me to achieve 200k - 440k crit damage on weapon throw
2) NOT equipping 300th spear allows me to achieve 180k - 290k crit damage on weapon throw.
3) Since the minimum damage is about the same, but the max damage is way different, functionallly it feels like 300th spear's 50% throw damage only applies when I throw the 300th spear.

Input is greatly appreciated. Thank you in advance for your corrections, other-throw-barbs.

Seems so from your data...I would like to know this, too.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]