Diablo® III

Hardcore Disconnect Deaths: Please Address

Let me be clear: In this thread, in particular, I am not asking for a solution to DC deaths. I am only asking that this issue be addressed by a developer. We want to know how they feel about it, and their response to the outcry of this issue. Because right now, they're treating it like an elephant in the room, and just pretending it's not there, and that is not acceptable.

I started playing D3 in Softcore. I played SC for a while, but then moved to HC a few months ago, and it's really fun. It's hard to go back.

See, I was getting bored of Softcore, and was ready to quit, but a few friends convinced me to join them in HC mode. So I did. And I had a ton of fun. In fact, it's so fun, I don't think I can go back to playing SC exclusively.

In fact, I'm sure that anyone who has extensively played Hardcore and Softcore can testify that HC is just way more fun! It has its advantages and disadvantages, but overall, it's a better game. Nobody in HC is complaining about drops, difficulty, balance, class customization, etc. Because the game is changed completely in HC mode, and it turns out that all these things are very much alleviated in HC mode. The economy is more stable, people have to avoid zerging tactics, since items in the AH are far less abundant, items that you find are worth much more, etc.

So Hardcore is more fun than Softcore. Why don't people play it then?

Simple: The !@#$ing disconnects!

I refer you to this poll for why people don't play HC, where after five pages, option B (the lag/disconnect option) reached 48 votes, and none of the other four options have even hit the double digits.
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6794230367

Deaths via lag or disconnect is the single biggest problem in Hardcore to date, which means it's the single biggest problem in the most fun part of D3 to date.

Now let me make two things clear (although I know a lot of people will respond without having read the following two points):

1) On release and during patch days, the servers can be sketchy, but for the most part, Blizzard servers are extremely stable. If you have a great connection, and you don't play during maintenance days, you almost guarantee yourself no DC deaths. However, the vast majority of players (myself included) do not have such circumstances. Our ISP might mess with our connection, we might have random disconnects once every 24 hours, or even once a week, etc. Hell, even the top of the line connection people can run into unforeseen circumstances such as a processing meltdown, a windows update, a blackout, etc. So it's a big slap in the face to the majority of us non-perfect connection players that we are barred from the most fun setting of D3.

2) I have no desire for a means of getting rid of disconnect deaths by allowing you to use an exploit to escape legitimate death. That means that I don't want you to be able to escape a hairy situation by pulling the plug. In fact, if we had a choice between Blizzard implementing this, or nothing at all, I would choose nothing at all, as something that allows for death-escaping exploits destroys the entire integrity of Hardcore.

Tons of issues that people have complained about have been addressed. There is

-lack of legendary drop quality
-exploits (such as the old wizard Force Armor)
-uselessness of WD summons
-teammates losing NV points by disconnecting in SC mode (it really irks me that this was addressed)
-abundance of difficulty, or lack thereof (both issues addressed perfectly by MP)

and many more. They have come and made statements to alleviate the concerns of players. So why has the single biggest issue of the most fun setting of D3 been completely ignored by the developers? Why are they silent on this screaming issue?

Many people have offered solutions to lag or connection related deaths. Now, many of those solutions have not been feasible, for they would either destroy the integrity of HC or would create a big expense. That's why I'm saying that I'm not asking for a solution here, just that this be addressed by a developer.

Maybe DC deaths are intended for HC, so that the economy can remain in check. Maybe not. See, this is the kind of thing they can tell us if they address this issue!

I just want to say one more thing: If a solution turns out to cost a lot, I still think it's better for them in the long run. As I have established, HC mode is fun. It is vastly more fun than SC mode. So many people here, who are simply leaving the game because they don't like it, and are not trying HC mode because of the lag barrier (as my poll thread illustrates) would really start to enjoy D3 again if they could simply play HC mode.

So come on guys! It is in your best interest to pay attention to the most fun setting of your game.
Edited by Bottle#1907 on 10/4/2012 11:55 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Many people have offered solutions to lag or connection related deaths. Now, many of those solutions have not been feasible, for they would either destroy the integrity of HC or would create a big expense. That's why I'm saying that I'm not asking for a solution here, just that this be addressed by a developer.

So basically we need to know how Blue feels about this and what their plans are?

I mean with the nature of D3 always being online death will be looming over every HC player.

Yolo
Reply Quote
Liked.

And for a very good reason. I can't commit to Harcore mode for the very same reason you've listed. So an up-vote and another request to have a developer at least address the issue with some form of acknowledgement that the disconnects/server/ISP disruptions do affect the quality of Hardcore mode.
Reply Quote
So basically we need to know how Blue feels about this and what their plans are?

I mean with the nature of D3 always being online death will be looming over every HC player.

Yolo

What's wrong with hearing their voice? Right now we don't know if death due to DC was intended design or not. All we know is that it's the one thing that's stopping the majority of people from having the most fun they can have in D3.
Reply Quote

Yolo

What's wrong with hearing their voice? Right now we don't know if death due to DC was intended design or not. All we know is that it's the one thing that's stopping the majority of people from having the most fun they can have in D3.

Oh there's not a problem, I'm actually curious what their thoughts are on the whole situation as well. I won't hold my breath though since they favor topics like piano tristram covers and their cats.
Reply Quote
I won't play HC ever because of DC/Lag deaths. It happened to me very often in SC.
Reply Quote
10/04/2012 11:18 PMPosted by Alosis
Oh there's not a problem, I'm actually curious what their thoughts are on the whole situation as well. I won't hold my breath though since they favor topics like piano tristram covers and their cats.

I do credit them with responding to a ton of issues that people have brought up (for example, some of the things I listed in the OP). They take their time about it sometimes, but they get to it eventually. It just sucks that they haven't breathed a word about this issue, and in my opinion, it's the single biggest issue.

Liked.

And for a very good reason. I can't commit to Harcore mode for the very same reason you've listed. So an up-vote and another request to have a developer at least address the issue with some form of acknowledgement that the disconnects/server/ISP disruptions do affect the quality of Hardcore mode.

Thank you! I encourage everyone to like this thread if they share my desire to see a blue address this issue.
Reply Quote
I have played a hardcore Character to level 38 was doing well. Thought i could through time and patience get to level 60

would have been awesome achievement.

then my power went out. Game continued and i died. I felt ripped off. It wasnt skills that killed me but a disconnect.....

not sure if anything can be done. but i know no character restores. It killed my interest
Reply Quote
I too like playing hardcore. Have never had a character make it out of normal mode since I keep DCing, the only internet offered in my area is from crappy ISP.

They need to address this issue and at the very least acknowledge it.
Reply Quote
If you can't handle disconnect deaths hardcore is not for you. Try a softcore character
Reply Quote
10/05/2012 09:21 AMPosted by Gazrok
If you can't handle disconnect deaths hardcore is not for you. Try a softcore character

Disconnects are not an intended game design.
Edited by acrimony#1561 on 10/5/2012 9:26 AM PDT
Reply Quote
10/05/2012 09:26 AMPosted by acrimony

Ever play an online game in your life , ever?
Reply Quote
10/05/2012 09:30 AMPosted by Gazrok

Again, since you have difficulties reading:

Reply Quote
10/05/2012 09:21 AMPosted by Gazrok

1.) LoL - no HC characters. your opinion is invalid
2.) 4 of 5 of my HC deaths were due to error 3007 at random. Yes, i can "handle" them, but i prefer to not have to. It would be nice to go in and play and die doing something stupid like i got to do once... or not die at all because this game isn't that hard, the servers are more difficult to deal with then the game itself
Edited by charlie#1300 on 10/5/2012 9:36 AM PDT
Reply Quote
10/05/2012 09:35 AMPosted by charlie

2.) 4 of 5 of my HC deaths were due to error 3007 at random. Yes, i can "handle" them, but i prefer to not have to. It would be nice to go in and play and die doing something stupid like i got to do once... or not die at all because this game isn't that hard, the servers are more difficult to deal with then the game itself

I don't play hardcore because I can't handle disconnect deaths. See its really simple...just don't be a baby about it if you can't handle it.

Think about it if they implemented some disconnect protection I could just unplug my cable if I was about to die. It's just not the point of hardcore.

Again if you can't hand it don't play it, Simple
Reply Quote
The problem is that DC deaths add nothing to the hardcore experience. I only learn that my ISP sucks which I already know and can't do anything about.
Reply Quote
I can handle them. Most of my deaths are from that, but I keep going. I just want to see what the devs think about it.
Reply Quote

Again, since you have difficulties reading:

The example I have used before: Netflix.

When I watch a movie on my xbox and I DC, when I log back in the movie resumes where I left off. They don't make me watch the whole thing again? Why? Because they realize that the internet is inherently unstable and thus put layers of protection in place to mitigate against that. All major services do that. Except battle.net.
Reply Quote
10/05/2012 09:38 AMPosted by Gazrok

I don't play hardcore because I can't handle disconnect deaths. See its really simple...just don't be a baby about it if you can't handle it.

Think about it if they implemented some disconnect protection I could just unplug my cable if I was about to die. It's just not the point of hardcore.

Again if you can't hand it don't play it, Simple

You don't play HC. So why do you care how we want to change something YOU DONT PARTICIPATE IN?

I don't play baseball. I don't watch baseball. But I FEEL STRONGLY that the game should be reduced to one inning and be played with rubber bats. That is the equivalent of what you are doing.

P.S.: As has been stated many times, DC protection can be made abuse-proof. Not that it would matter to you, seeing how you don't play HC.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]