Diablo® III

Hardcore Disconnect Deaths: Please Address

1.) LoL - no HC characters. your opinion is invalid
2.) 4 of 5 of my HC deaths were due to error 3007 at random. Yes, i can "handle" them, but i prefer to not have to. It would be nice to go in and play and die doing something stupid like i got to do once... or not die at all because this game isn't that hard, the servers are more difficult to deal with then the game itself

I don't play hardcore because I can't handle disconnect deaths. See its really simple...just don't be a baby about it if you can't handle it.

Think about it if they implemented some disconnect protection I could just unplug my cable if I was about to die. It's just not the point of hardcore.

Again if you can't hand it don't play it, Simple

Agreed with this person.

You might as well be asking Blizzard to protect you from power outages and lightning storms. Sorry, but it's just the nature of the beast. If you're not a strong swimmer, then don't dive into the deep end of the pool.
Edited by Cars#1578 on 10/5/2012 1:49 PM PDT
Reply Quote
10/05/2012 01:47 PMPosted by Cars
If you're not a strong swimmer, then don't dive into the deep end of the pool.

What you are saying is this. I want to swim. But there are sharks in the local swimming pool. Instead of asking the operator to get rid of the sharks I should just suck it up, because if you can't outswim a shark you have no business swimming.
Reply Quote
If you're not a strong swimmer, then don't dive into the deep end of the pool.

What you are saying is this. I want to swim. But there are sharks in the local swimming pool. Instead of asking the operator to get rid of the sharks I should just suck it up, because if you can't outswim a shark you have no business swimming.

What you are saying is this: I want to drive, but I can't tolerate the risks involved. Instead of accepting the potential risk that everybody else does while being responsible for how, when, and where I drive to help mitigate the risk, I demand the government to protect me 100% of the time.

It's called !@#$ happens, m'friend. If you can't deal with that notion, then perhaps hardcore is not your bag. If Blizzard were to implement a fail-safe so characters immediately unplug upon disconnection, then people would abuse the hell out of it by pausing their games and unhooking their internet line. This happened a lot in D2 and it would be an even greater detriment to the hardcore economy since it would result in far less deaths.

If you want to get into the online-only aspect, well, take that up with Blizzard considering they're the ones who made a single player MMO game. If your connection is pretty shaky or your ISP is sketchy, then it's probably best to avoid hardcore. Kind of like how you shouldn't drive on the beltway if your vehicle is not road worthy or you don't trust the whims of chance.
Edited by Cars#1578 on 10/5/2012 2:21 PM PDT
Reply Quote
What you are saying is this: I want to drive, but I can't tolerate the risks involved. Instead of accepting the potential risk that everybody else does while being responsible for how, when, and where I drive to help mitigate the risk, I demand the government to protect me 100% of the time.

It's called !@#$ happens, m'friend. If you can't deal with that notion, then perhaps hardcore is not your bag. If Blizzard were to implement a fail-safe so characters immediately unplug upon disconnection, then people would abuse the hell out of it by pausing their games and unhooking their internet line. This happened a lot in D2 and it would be an even greater detriment to the hardcore economy since it would result in far less deaths.

If you want to get into the online-only aspect, well, take that up with Blizzard considering they're the ones who made a single player MMO game. If your connection is pretty shaky or your ISP is sketchy, then it's probably best to avoid hardcore. Kind of like how you shouldn't drive on the beltway if your vehicle is not road worthy or you don't trust the whims of chance.

Cars, if you're a good driver, you can always avoid something bad. You can even avoid some drunk nut job who comes out of nowhere, if you have good reflexes and are constantly aware of your surroundings. You can always lay some blame to yourself if you get hurt driving.

You're making a false analogy here. It breaks down because there is nothing in driving that is analogous to disconnect deaths in HC.

Anyway, maybe you and the other guy are right, and it's intended design that you should be expecting DC deaths in Hardcore. But we don't know if that's the case. That's why I want this to be addressed. I want to see what the devs think about this. Maybe they agree with you, but we won't know until they say something.

Also, let me remind everyone that Hardcore is fun! It is a !@#$ load more fun than Softcore. So even if DC deaths are intended in design, maybe they should reconsider. Maybe the longevity of this game can hinge on them making the most fun part of D3 more accessible to people. Nobody in HC is complaining about drops, monster difficulty, class balance, etc. Because HC is just making them enjoy the game a hell of a lot more.

As of the end of the seventh page of this poll:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6794230367

The tally goes that 63 people are not playing HC because of lag/DC deaths, and 32 people are not playing for other reasons (although a lot of them did list lag deaths, but it wasn't the primary factor of their decision).
Edited by Bottle#1907 on 10/5/2012 5:27 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Cars, if you're a good driver, you can always avoid something bad. You can even avoid some drunk nut job who comes out of nowhere, if you have good reflexes and are constantly aware of your surroundings. You can always lay some blame to yourself if you get hurt driving.

You're making a false analogy here. It breaks down because there is nothing in driving that is analogous to disconnect deaths in HC.

I sure wish I lived in this utopian world you live in where everyone has absolute control of their fate. Hell, then what's the point of insurance? I guess it doesn't matter if you're part of an accident on a busy highway that you had no responsibility for. Some 18-wheeler jack-knifed and it's your fault for being at the wrong place at the right wrong time.

As of the end of the seventh page of this poll:
http://us.battle.net/d3/en/forum/topic/6794230367

The tally goes that 63 people are not playing HC because of lag/DC deaths, and 32 people are not playing for other reasons (although a lot of them did list lag deaths, but it wasn't the primary factor of their decision).

So? It was the same way in D2 or any other game that features a hardcore mode. A lot of people simply can't accept the risk of permanent loss. Hardcore mode is practically always a minority group in games due to this very reason.
Edited by Cars#1578 on 10/5/2012 10:59 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Could you all please stop the "if you complain, you're a wimp" crap.

I know for a fact that the devs didn't want hardcore to be avoided due to DCs. I also know for a fact that they didnt care enough to make the game playable offline because of other benefits of online connectivity that they prioritize.

This means: they aren't smart enough or dedicated enough to figure out a way to avoid DC deaths in hardcore that cant be abused by players.

Now... what do you think the chances of them blue-posting here about that are? Would you admit this to your clients? Either it makes them look incompetent, or it amounts to an accusation against their player base - being cowardly exploiters.... either way no one will grace us with a post on this issue.

I will never play Diablo 3 again simply because I don't think the dev's are too dumb to sort out a solution - which means they dont care enough to try.

Signed: Aeghis - HC: Max Level Barbarian, Act II Hell (Inferno Geared), DC Death August 2012
Edited by Aeghis#1644 on 10/23/2012 3:03 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Totally agree with you 100%. Started playing SC, then went HC and I am finding it hard to go back. Lost my HC 49 WD to a DC, couldn't believe it. Fair enough if I got owned by an elite pack or boss, but killed by DC? Thats bull!@#$.
Now I don't know if I can even play anymore, I want to play HC but what's the point if you die just coz you get dc'd. That is like the killing blow for me with this game.
Absolutely loved playing HC, but now I have no faith in the character class at all due to this major flaw. That is my only major beef with HC, hopefully Blizzard can fix this coz HC players don't mind dying if they got beaten by the game. It's part of the territory to accept death, but to have your character killed from a technical fault is just a kick in the balls.
Reply Quote
+1 from me!
Reply Quote
Cmon people play YOLO mode!
Reply Quote
Lets rename this thread "Real Life Metaphors regarding HC deaths". I was loving that part.
Reply Quote
^ lol 300 vit in HC mode

If your internet is spotty I think vit + thorns + regen is def the way to go. I've been saved by it many times in HC, although I'm not wearing that gearset now.

Skills that leave lingering damage in the area you stand on (like earthquake) can also be a big help, and obviously summons that will fight for you even if you are dc'd or afk. When you feel things start to lag, just pop all your summons and hope for the best.
Reply Quote
I haven't see a disconnect in over 3 months and I play a lot. You guys must have horrible ISPs.

If Blizz can come up with a way that a disconnect can not be abused I'd support it. But thats never going to happen.

I've lost quite a few HC characters and it really doesn't bother me. I mean come on it takes only a few hours now to get to 60 and gearing for inferno is pretty cheap.

The next thing you'd want is RMAH for pay to win. HC is just fine the way it is.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]