Diablo® III

Why would we lie about legendary drops?

10/03/2012 02:20 PMPosted by Ley
Drops are fine.

So I suppose some people thought I was trolling; I wasn't.

I don't know what people expect drops to be. You want to find amazing items all the time? Guess what, if they did drop all the time, they wouldn't be amazing, they'd be average, you wouldn't be able to sell them, the bar would be set higher and in the end, you'd be back here on the forums complaining about item drops not being good enough. You guys complain about items, you want to have the same items as the top players, people who play for many more hours than you, every day or spend thousands of dollars on the game. The game is completely playable with items you find, sell and can buy on the GAH for modest amounts of gold. The only problem is the spoiled, greedy, mentality that some of the people who play this game have, they want the best, they want it now and they don't want to have to make any effort to get it.

I understand, sometimes you can play for hours and days, not find a single item worth anything and it can be frustrating but some days I've gone on an act 3 run and found up to 3 legendary items in one run. RNG, you hear it all the time and as much as it may upset you to hear this, it is in fact random, eventually you will find something. If you are spending hours and hours, not finding anything and are convinced that you should be, then consider the possibility that you may be doing something wrong. Maybe you need more MF, maybe you're doing act 1-2 and expecting to get the same rewards as people doing act 3. I was convinced for a time that item drops were flawed because I hadn't found anything substantially good. I kept playing, kept trying different things until I was around paragon level 10, then I discovered was that I was simply being inefficient and once I got a better farming system down, I started finding good items all the time.

I am married and in the military, I say this because, not only do I not have much time to play, between work and my wife, but I also don't have loads of money to spend on items on the RMAH. Most people would consider me to be a casual player. Somehow, in the 6-10 hours a week that I get to play, if I'm lucky, I find around 5-6 legendary items, every week and once in a while, a set item too. Not all of them are great but once in a while, I find a great item that sells for 50+mill and whatever the rest of my loot sells for, adds up eventually. My gear isn't amazing but it more than gets the job done, so I save up and every few weeks, I upgrade an item.

I think it's funny that there are players all over the forums saying they find legendary items all the time and drops are fine but no matter how many times you hear it, some people refuse to believe it, They insist that all these people are lying. To what end, for what purpose? They can't consider for a minute that maybe they're in denial, maybe the drop rates are really fine and they're just being brats.

There are lots of problems with this game and a lot of them are with items, namely itemization but increasing drop rates won't fix that. It's just more of the same, "oh I just upgraded an item, now I do 2% more DPS and take 1% less damage; yay!"

They are about to DOUBLE legendary drops, that is huge! Sure I will be able to improve my gear for less but all the items that I used to be able to sell for a modest sum will be worth much less, that is if I can even sell them and the quality to strive for is now much higher and much more rare. It puts us back exactly where we started, and I don't think it's necessary. That is why I said, "Drops are fine."
Reply Quote
Happy for you that you are lucky.

I have not been.
Reply Quote
[quote="67939984194"]Drops are fine....... you wouldn't be able to sell them, ."

Stopped right there.
In fareness, in a true D3 MMO maybe what you say would have merit.

But in a single player game, no man, no.
Dang merchant
Reply Quote
yeah really. people don't want good items they want the BEST items handed to them.

not happening. you can easily beat inferno with minimal farming now.
Reply Quote
if drop are fine i would not wasted my time on AH lucky me that i grind a lot at 1.03 and make a lot of gold
Reply Quote
some of us get lucky.

some of us win the lottery 7 times
http://www.wistv.com/Global/story.asp?S=13362688

a LOT of us don't get lucky. a lot of us are finding rares that literally aren't sellable. a lot of us are finding legendaries once every few weeks.

just because you are getting good drops doesn't mean we all are.
Reply Quote
10/07/2012 04:54 PMPosted by Ley
You want to find amazing items all the time?

False dichotomy.
Reply Quote
10/07/2012 05:17 PMPosted by Sunhammer
[quote]
Drops are fine....... you wouldn't be able to sell them, ."

Stopped right there.
In fareness, in a true D3 MMO maybe what you say would have merit.

But in a single player game, no man, no.
Dang merchant

I guess I'm one of the few who believe that eventually, blizzard will make it to where playing multiplayer will be a truly rewarding experience. Maybe it'll be when pvp comes out or maybe they'll find a way to make farming in a group more appealing but I still consider this a true mmo. In fact most of the time I spent farming/grinding in other mmos, I was doing it solo. PvP is the true flavor of online games.
Reply Quote
10/07/2012 05:21 PMPosted by DarkVision
if drop are fine i would not wasted my time on AH lucky me that i grind a lot at 1.03 and make a lot of gold

I don't get this argument. You mean to say you could get ALL gear you possibly wanted in Diablo 2 WITHOUT trading?? I call bull@#$%.
Reply Quote
the ratio of rich/poor players in d3 is a staggering 1:10

inb4 this is a 'im poor so im going to whine because i'm jelly' reply

haven't we seen everything? people going 180 on their logic when they finally got an awesome drop or two only to come back whining when drought comes back?

you should also consider the fact (prepare your tinfoil hats) the amount of 'godly' gears in AH. would that mean it's that easy to get them seeing how the supply is almost like 40-50 pages?

basically, we don't want quantity drops but rather quality drops because you know and everybody knows farming can only get you so far before it becomes pointless unless you're a lottery winner.
Reply Quote
10/07/2012 05:35 PMPosted by Ley
PvP is the true flavor of online games.

not in the current state of d3 it doesn't. i honestly do not want pvp to come out any time soon unless blizz fix d3 hard.
Reply Quote
Posted by DarkVision

I don't get this argument. You mean to say you could get ALL gear you possibly wanted in Diablo 2 WITHOUT trading?? I call bull@#$%.

it mean that most of my gear came from AH i would not wasted my time on AH if drop was fine
i did make a lot of gold in 1.03 by selling a lot of useless rare and good one to get this gear i have right now
Reply Quote
OP, nice post. Made a similar one not too long ago mainly about item drop rates vs time/effort.

While I applaud you, my topic capped out at 25 pages and I can tell you that most of the responses will get are from people who do not want to put in the effort and expect the greatest of drops. They are the reason why we keep getting a dumbed down item hunt. Bunch of spoiled brats I say.

I spent the whole day yesterday farming from level 58-60 that's around 260m worth of experience and around 16 full pages of ilvl 62-63 rares. Running at +340 mf, I got 2 legendaries for my effort, that's it. Gladiator gloves & Burning axe of crap. But I don't complain about it, I just play more. I was just unlucky for my past 20 act 3 clears. So what? That doesn't discourage me.
Edited by FruitVendor#2561 on 10/7/2012 5:47 PM PDT
Reply Quote
10/07/2012 04:54 PMPosted by Ley
Drops are fine.

If you are spending hours and hours, not finding anything and are convinced that you should be, then consider the possibility that you may be doing something wrong. Maybe you need more MF, maybe you're doing act 1-2 and expecting to get the same rewards as people doing act 3.

Really? Is this what your 20 paragon levels have taught you? I just went 300m experience in ACT 3 (you know, not Act 1 or 2) will max MF (you know, 300 + follower + NV) without getting a single leg or valuable rare. When I finally got a leg to drop, it was a Cluckeye, which I promptly dropped on the ground.

Let's think about this for one minute: I have very good (but not amazing) gear and can perhaps get 30m experience per hour. I have heard of top geared Barbs getting 60m per hour.

So you have someone, me, relatively high in the scale of things, going 10 hours without getting *anything*. The absolute best class, with the best gear, running the most efficient route, could go 5 hours of nothing. How long would it take for the 'average' player to get 300m in experience in Act 3? 20 hours? 40 hours?

This isn't a QQ or threatening to quit; rather, I am just pointing something out. In what similar game could someone, playing at a reasonably high level, go 10 hours with no loot? How is that even possible? And, this streak is still *ongoing* (unless you're a fan of clucking bows). I may go another 10 hours with nothing.

For the person who wants to chime in: "RNG is RNG" I would say two things: first, please demonstrate that you have an education and use the correct phrase, which is "Small sample size" or "SSS". But, second, yes, while drops do normalize over larger samples, that is not the point. The point is that any game that can make its players go 10, 20, 30+ hours with no reward is going to lose players in droves -- many won't stick around long enough to for the numbers to normalize.

As for the 'it will get better in 1.0.5' argument, yes, it will. Will it be enough? We shall see -- but the whole 'loot is fine' argument is entirely subjective and your mileage may vary. Right now, D3 is play an hour (or 30 minutes for a RLTW Barb) for another tug on the one armed bandit.
Reply Quote
10/07/2012 05:31 PMPosted by prusswan
OP is definitely lucky because he isn't KIA, yet.

he could just be a clerk in the military but daaaaaaaaaaaaamn dude.
Reply Quote
Some people are finding a ton. Some, like me, are not. Someday the Ytar will bless me like you've been blessed. It's RNG.
Reply Quote
10/07/2012 05:31 PMPosted by prusswan

Tbh you should be perma ban from the game and forums for !@#$ like this.
Reply Quote
10/07/2012 07:10 PMPosted by JudeRock

he could just be a clerk in the military but daaaaaaaaaaaaamn dude.

Yes a clerk....only....
Reply Quote
How did I not see this turning into a discussion about my military career. *sigh*
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]