Diablo® III

Recent latency/freezing/heating up problems?

I began playing on my mac mini 4 months ago. A few weeks ago I started having latency and freezing problems. Then, a few days ago, the problems got worse and my computer began heating up, to the point that the fan got damaged.

I am now playing on a Macbook Pro, 8GB RAM, better video card, better processor, brand new, and... to my surprise, it heats up too. I'm not having latency or freezing problems (yet), but the temperature almost doubles up when Diablo is running and the fan's RPM almost triples...

Isn't it just weird since it never happend before and it happens in 2 different computers, one of which is brand new? Is anyone else having these problems?
Edited by Lorena#1940 on 10/9/2012 2:33 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
Can you post full specs about your Mac?

1. Launch Diablo III.
    2. Put Diablo III into Windowed Mode if it is not already in Windowed Mode.
    3. From the system menu bar, select Help > Copy Support Information: http://i49.tinypic.com/33njnzn.png
    4. Paste the contents of the copied system information here (Command-V)

Also, on your new Mac, was this a fresh install, or was D3 migrated from the previous Mac?
Reply Quote
Software:

System Software Overview:

System Version: OS X 10.8.2 (12C60)
Kernel Version: Darwin 12.2.0
Time since boot: 23 minutes

Hardware:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro9,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.6 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 8 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBP91.00D3.B08
SMC Version (system): 2.1f170
Sudden Motion Sensor:
State: Enabled

Graphics/Displays:

Intel HD Graphics 4000:

Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics 4000
Type: GPU
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Device ID: 0x0166
Revision ID: 0x0009
gMux Version: 1.9.23

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x8
VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0fd5
Revision ID: 0x00a2
ROM Revision: 3682
gMux Version: 1.9.23
Displays:
Color LCD:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 1440 x 900
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes

Other:

Input Source ID: com.apple.keylayout.USInternational-PC
Keyboard Layout: ANSI

Also, I uninstalled D3 from the mac mini and installed it all from scratch in the Mabook, so I guess that's what you mean by a fresh start.
Reply Quote
I don't want to hijack Lorena's thread, but I'm also seeing problems with the smoothness of D3. I recently applied an OSX supplemental update to 10.8.2 and wonder if that had something to do with it. Last week it was running great with all settings at high and max resolution. Even when I drop down the resolution and put all the settings to LOW, it's still not as smooth as it was before, making it very difficult to play.

Software:

System Software Overview:

System Version: OS X 10.8.2 (12C60)
Kernel Version: Darwin 12.2.0
Time since boot: 1:24

Hardware:

Hardware Overview:

Model Name: MacBook Pro
Model Identifier: MacBookPro10,1
Processor Name: Intel Core i7
Processor Speed: 2.3 GHz
Number of Processors: 1
Total Number of Cores: 4
L2 Cache (per Core): 256 KB
L3 Cache: 6 MB
Memory: 16 GB
Boot ROM Version: MBP101.00EE.B02
SMC Version (system): 2.3f32

Graphics/Displays:

Intel HD Graphics 4000:

Chipset Model: Intel HD Graphics 4000
Bus: Built-In
VRAM (Total): 512 MB
Vendor: Intel (0x8086)
Device ID: 0x0166
Revision ID: 0x0009
gMux Version: 3.2.19 [3.2.8]

NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M:

Chipset Model: NVIDIA GeForce GT 650M
Bus: PCIe
PCIe Lane Width: x8
VRAM (Total): 1024 MB
Vendor: NVIDIA (0x10de)
Device ID: 0x0fd5
Revision ID: 0x00a2
ROM Revision: 3688
gMux Version: 3.2.19 [3.2.8]
Displays:
Color LCD:
Display Type: LCD
Resolution: 2880 X 1800
Retina: Yes
Pixel Depth: 32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)
Main Display: Yes
Mirror: Off
Online: Yes
Built-In: Yes
Connection Type: DisplayPort

Other:

Input Source ID: com.apple.keylayout.US
Keyboard Layout: ANSI
Reply Quote
You're very welcome to hijack it.

I'm actually going back to Lion and I'm gonna see if it makes any difference. If it does, then it is probably OSX related.

I'll keep you posted.
Edited by Lorena#1940 on 10/10/2012 12:39 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Haha. Exactly the same thing I am doing.
I'll update after I do my reinstall.
Reply Quote
Support Forum Agent
10/10/2012 12:31 PMPosted by hunter
I don't want to hijack Lorena's thread, but I'm also seeing problems with the smoothness of D3. I recently applied an OSX supplemental update to 10.8.2 and wonder if that had something to do with it.

Did you reset the SMC after the updates? many users reported issues with the 10.8.2/firmware update, in which the resetting of the SMC fixed it.

Resetting the SMC
Reply Quote
Machkhan: Before I was able to try this, I reinstalled 10.8.2 and the problem was resolved. So it does have something to do with the Supplemental Update. I am just going to leave my OS X on 10.8.2 since I don't really need any of the fixes that the supplemental update addresses. If someone else wants to try resetting the SMC, I would be interested to hear if it fixes the issue. Otherwise, reinstalling fixes the problem, just make sure you backup your data first (duh).

Cheers,
Hunter
Reply Quote
I reinstalled 10.8.2 and did the SMC reset. The problem seems to be somewhat fixed, but I'd like to wait a few more days to be sure. Temperature is not increasing as much, neither is RPM. The're both quite high though. No major performance problems so far, just minor glitches here and there.
Reply Quote
how did you do the reset?
Reply Quote
Resetting the SMC
http://support.apple.com/kb/ht3964

I bought a cooling pad today. I'll keep you posted on diablo performance tonight.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
90 Human Priest
Lorena, have you installed the latest EFI update for your computer?

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1593

This can solve some issues with games that are CPU heavy. It is recommended to reset the SMC after doing this update to make sure all fan settings are at their defaults.

Also, how did you update to 10.8.2? Did you use the software update feature, or the combo updater found here:

http://support.apple.com/kb/DL1581

Reply Quote
Tia, first of all, thanks for your help.

I checked my Boot Rom version and it is MBP91.00D3.B08, so the computer has the most recent EFI firmware version.

I am now downloading the 10.8.2 update and I'll do the SCM reset after that (given that nothing that I've done so far has solved high temperatures and fan RPM).

Regarding graphics configuration, did you mean in the other thread that I should disable automatic switching?

I'll keep you posted,

Lorena
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
90 Human Priest
Yeah, try disabling automatic graphics switching at least as a test. You can revert its setting easily if it isn't one of the causes of your issues. I'm willing to bet though that if you have no real hardware defect, that using the combo updater followed by an SMC reset will solve most, if not all of your problems.

Mountain Lion has been a royal PITA for the laptop owners so far. :(

Reply Quote
Thanks. I'll try disabling that feature tomorrow. So far resetting SMC and PRAM hasn't helped a whole lot, at least not with the temperature and fan speed issues.

I doubt it's a hardware defect, it happend in 2 different machines. A mac mini 2010 and a macbook 2012, so it's gotta be software related somehow...

Thanks for all your advice :)
Reply Quote
P.S. Seems to me Mountain Lion has been a PITA in general, but hey, it's released just a couple of months ago, I'm guessing it'll get better with time.
Reply Quote
- Technical Support
90 Human Priest
Thanks. I'll try disabling that feature tomorrow. So far resetting SMC and PRAM hasn't helped a whole lot, at least not with the temperature and fan speed issues.

I doubt it's a hardware defect, it happend in 2 different machines. A mac mini 2010 and a macbook 2012, so it's gotta be software related somehow...

Thanks for all your advice :)

SPECIAL WARNING: The following nVidia drivers are only for Mac OS X 10.8.2. Installation on any other system version will result in the inability to boot the machine until the kernel extensions are removed and the original kernel extensions reinstalled.

I'm going to try to find the thread from Omegal with the nVidia drivers for 10.8.2. They may well fix some of what you're seeing, and they're literally several months newer that what Apple is using.

I'll edit this post with the information once I have it.

Edit:

http://www.nvidia.com/object/macosx-304.00.05f02-driver.html

as well as CUDA update

http://www.nvidia.com/object/cuda-mac-driver.html

ALso to note although the 2012 macbook pros are not listed. these drivers very much fix bugs and improve performance on them, you just have to modfiy installer to allow installation on non mac pro system. Reports are that gaming performance should be greatly improved in some areas.

If you are unsure about how to modify the installer to install the drivers on the MBP/rMBP, you should be able to use Pacifist to install those drivers as well.

Pacifist can be found here:

http://www.charlessoft.com/

Edited by TheTias#1192 on 10/14/2012 2:35 PM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]