Diablo® III

PVP will be an expansion pack

Someone already wrote a very good text about D3 "most successful" aspects. Like the expansion to give us something we should have got on realease.

This post was deleted so I dont know the author:

PS: Boy, watching those vids of what D3 could have been makes me cry. Check the skill bar...

"Well I have to applaud Blizzard in all reality. From a business stand point it would seem like you're on the perfect track to make the shareholders at Activision very, very pleased.

You've taken a game with so much hype built around it, a game with a rabid and wildly large fan base, a game vaulting off of the massive success of the previous generation - and you've turned it into your sacrificial lamb.

I understand that WoW is dying. The cash cow that you have been able to depend on to fill your coffers is finally drying up. It had a great run. MoP is not likely to defibrillate the failing heart of what was once the WoW empire, and you know this. Starcraft 2, while an amazing game, cannot replace this cash cow - then again it wasn't meant to. How could it? Your business foresight is very, very attuned. Because of this you carefully planned your next chess move: Diablo 3.

What better way to birth another golden goose than to bank an entire game off of the most addictive part of what Diablo 2 was: the item grind. Pure brilliance. And so, from the ground up, you formed this game to be solely about item exchange - this would be the titan built to replace WoW's subscription based bankroll in the form of micro transactions.

Except one thing: you're boring.

On May 15th 2012, after nearly a decade of anticipation, we were given Diablo 3! Except, it's not quite Diablo 3. It's a slimmed down, cut up version of the Diablo 3 everyone was taught to expect. Except, it wasn't given to us, we still had to pay you full price for it: $60.

My how the mighty hath fallen. Why is it not Diablo 3, you say? Well let's see. Anyone remember all those teaser videos spoon fed to the community over the past 3 years? Videos slowly leaking to us glimpses of the content we could expect to experience? I do.

From nearly FOUR years ago:

@2:10 "These current weapons just won't do!":

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5K0YkUH6r6c&list=UUCGf0PicJgNp6yb7xsdZAwA&index=1&feature=plcp

I guess scrapping this idea all together was more developmentally cost effective.

@6:30 "Let's see what a real fight looks like."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RT4K6e2q10g&list=UUCGf0PicJgNp6yb7xsdZAwA&index=10&feature=plcp

Indeed, lets. I'm still waiting, actually. Is it just me or does that environment look entirely more engaging than the atmosphere we've purchased at release?

@2:00 Did he say randomized, dungeons, quests and encounters?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pMAyxY7mjzI&list=UUCGf0PicJgNp6yb7xsdZAwA&index=7&feature=plcp

If their idea of newly generated fights, quests and environments is a continuous cycle of the same things from a pre-conceived list, he's spot on!

So where's the beef? - some might say. The beef is that this is not Diablo 3, this is an imposter. A hologram. An artificial replacement. A lame duck substitute for what hype built it up to be. A cut up and slimmed down version of what should have been. In essence: a slaughtered, sacrificial lamb.

That leaves myself and thousands of others saying indeed, where is the beef? Blizzard's answer: there is no cow level. But hey, we got rainbows and unicorns!

Is anyone still in complete denial about how truly boring this game is or have people started to shake off the honey moon dust?

You eliminated enchanting, PvP, pet companions and other things from the release version so that you could market it as part of a later expansion for more money. (This is a trend in gaming that several developers have been following; withhold content you've been advertising for the past two years and charge a premium for it at a later date. I shouldn't have expected Activision-Blizzard to be any different, and that is my fault. I wrongly assumed this group was made of trend setters and leaders, not followers - so shame on me.)

You didn't include a single player mode because you can't make money off of people if they aren't using the AH in a multiplayer format. Less work for you in the development stages, and forces people to engage in the micro-economy that your bankroll is based on. Again, brilliance. Which leads me to my final point:

There is so LITTLE dynamic to this game I cannot believe it took this many years to create it. In fact, I don't. So why the long wait? I'll tell you: economic law.

More specifically, the legality and complications that stemmed from the idea of a multinational game built around a Real Money Auction House. This process, I imagine, took years to iron out - while the game itself probably took no more than a few actual working years to complete (and it truly shows).

It doesn't take an overly intelligent mind to figure WHY they would want to use a RMAH and get a cut of (a lot of) the transactions. That's fine. Here's the problem: you built the entire game around a pure gear grind, and then force that gear grind to revolve around the AH, specifically the RMAH. There is literally no other dynamic. When you build a game from a purely business stand point, you're not building a great game - and a great game this is not.

In conclusion, gamers, do you really want to spend your time on yet another slave-like gear grind? If so, eat your heart out. You'll find no better place to do it! If not, there are a plethora of other games out there much more deserving of your $60, I promise.

Diablo 3 was built around Activision's greed. Participate at your own will.

Gamers hold grudges and people aren't going to forget this disaster. If you obliterate your true fan base, the pillars of your success come falling soon after.

I give this post less than a few hours before it is deleted by Blizzard moderators. Can't have that bad flavor out there, can we? Truth hurts.

Regards, a long time fan."
10/11/2012 08:38 AMPosted by Kookymunster
Good thing you guys don't sell new cars huh?

for sale
brand new jay wilson mustang
drivers side door sealed shut due to the fact 99.9 % of people entered the car this way
car only able to drive on route 3
car recalled to have speed limiter inserted
car recalled to have drivers side door unlocked by 50 % after consumer complaints
car speed unlocker available for purchase at company website

the wilson mustang ..."drive it our way "
View profile
They've already said, many times, it not be a seperate pack that you have to pay for.

Also you're on crack - the RMAH has been a HUGE SUCCESS for Blizzard. It's used regularly generating thousands - maybe millions - of dollars for them. They love it.
Who cares pvp in this game will be bland anyway.Blizzard already has proven they can not make a pvp game that is any good.
Pull tight those straps on your tinfoil hats. It's going wild up in here.
10/10/2012 04:28 PMPosted by Vaeflare
As we’ve stated previously, the PvP content we are currently working on will be included in a future patch at no additional cost, just like the content we provide in our ongoing patches (1.0.4, 1.0.5, etc.).

however you'll need billions of gold or at least $1000 in RMAH to be any good.
Sigh, This is what drove me back to playing hellokitty online.
10/11/2012 09:51 AMPosted by Jetsen
drivers side door sealed shut due to the fact 99.9 % of people entered the car this way

hahaha this is off topic but hilarious. PvP will definitely be an expansion pack.
@Yamaneko clearly knows what's up and has a penchant for writing ;)
10/11/2012 01:05 AMPosted by CuttRogue
They have stated there will be a matchmaking system that will match players by gear. So players with godly gear will face equal players with godly gear, etc.

Oh that's cool, I didn't know that. A good version of that matchmaking might really make a difference for the pay to win complaint.
87 Draenei Shaman
I see nothing has changed in the past month. Do you seriously think WoW is dying? do more research son.
85 Blood Elf Mage
I think it is ridiculous that people are saying Blizzard can't make a pvp based game. World of Warcraft has obviously been more than successful, and people grind out the honor points for the gear before it's even released. Don't even get me started on Diablo 2. The pvp on that game was great as well. Of course some troll is going to say that Diablo 2 wasn't really anything...That is probably because you didn't get past Act 1 of normal. They obviously know their pvp setup and I would bet money that they're trying to make it as close to Diablo 2 pvp as they can without making an exact replica. People need something to cry about and they pick something that they probably aren't even good at.
Edited by Bdknife#1302 on 10/11/2012 10:57 AM PDT
90 Human Death Knight
Gotama he was making a statement about the guys question saying that RMAH for every sale they get 1 dollar and personally i have bought quite alot from it myself and yes RMAH is a success to them. Statement about the question.
I havent spent a cent and my character is pretty good, so stop this pay to win bs and learn to play to win. In resposne to iammorrison.
Edited by PlacidPanda#1456 on 10/11/2012 11:02 AM PDT
Gold 1v1, real hardcore breh.
I think anyone who pre-ordered Diablo 3 should get the expansion pack for free, since we didn't receive the full title that we originally paid for. The game has been out for months and we are still missing half of it. Diablo is NOT the same without pvp. Frankly, 2 v 2 arena deathmatch is not going to cut it either.

I pray that they will expand the idea, introduce directives or goals and allow more players. They should introduce a wager system too, either gold or items or both. Most of us are running quad core cpu's or higher with highspeed internet. Max players =4 is total B.S.

Even D2 had 8 in-game. UP THE PLAYER COUNT!! With the monster power system in 1.05, allowing 8+ players will help campaign mode and pvp. They should be the same thing. Boy, do I miss loot dueling!! lol.
10/11/2012 09:42 AMPosted by Yamaneko
Truth hurts.

100% agree, truth hurts so much I'm dying over here. Great post Yamaneko. You've uncovered something that's been right in our faces all along that very few dared to consider. The part about the RMAH and development time was spot on. This game's delayed release had more to do with ironing out the RMAH legal issues than it did on polishing up a quality product. We're still waiting on the quality and I'm not holding my breath.

ITEMS HAVE NO FLAVOR, bottom line.
Edited by DaveTheSlayr#1731 on 10/11/2012 11:21 AM PDT
It's kind of funny to think Blizzard would even consider charging additional money as they make necessary (and many unnecessary) changes to the current beta that is Diablo 3.

I laugh in your general direction, Blizzard
This topic has reached its post limit. You may no longer post or reply to posts for this topic.

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]