Diablo® III

PATH OF EXILE!!!!!!!! FTW

who loves it and who has yet to try it??

Its shaping up in Closed beta and will be in open beta by the end of this year. My favorite ARPG to date. Much more satisfying to me than D3 was for all of the usual reasons items/customization/quests. If you don't know about it and want to ask questions then let me know.

FYI my first impressions of the game when researching weren't great. I watched a youtube video and some of the animations didn't impress me, but I later saw more videos highlighting the ridiculous customization in the game so I finally broke down and got beta access(after getting really irritated at D3). Just a short time playing it and I knew that I loved it.
Edited by stryker#1589 on 10/13/2012 5:14 AM PDT
Reply Quote
Tried it some months ago, didn't like it. Tried it again recently but uninstalled it after five minutes.

Still, I liked it better than Torchlight II. The OST was also pretty good.
Edited by JohnnyZeWolf#1953 on 10/7/2012 5:09 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Tried it some months ago, didn't like it. Tried it again recently but uninstalled it after five minutes.

Still, I liked it better than Torchlight II. The OST was also pretty good.

Sorry you have such a poor taste in games.
Edited by Victimize#1583 on 10/7/2012 6:17 PM PDT
Reply Quote
90 Human Monk
I loved it. Hard to truly get into it when you know your characters will be wiped when Open Beta starts, but I'm definitely going to jump back on board when things go permanent.
Reply Quote
haven't tried busy playing WarTune.... browser MMO ? lol
Reply Quote
I tried to like it but...

It seems they made too many things complex just for the sake of complexity.

The skill trees...

The Barter system...

The upgrade system...

I disagree that there is complexity just for the sake of complexity. The passive skill tree is one of the most interesting parts of the game. If you put just a little time into the game it really makes a lot of sense and is fairly simple. You don't have to borrow from other trees, its very very easy to just stick to the obvious choices on your tree and do just fine.

My opinion of the barter system is that its also a huge part of the game. I am very tired of gold in ARPG's, gold just never seems to work out. Its easier for botters to take advantage of and its tough on the gamers who don't want to grind for 10,000 just to buy something that costs 500000000 gold. Bartering takes a short while to learn but its very worth it in the end. One or two good orbs can get you some decent gear through trading.

Upgrade system? I am guessing that you mean the gems which is one of the major parts of customization in this game. There are SOOOOOO many ways to customize your skills. I love how much choice the player has in this game.

If you haven't checked it out, your really need to.
Reply Quote
I am sad that Path of Exile has yet to receive the same love from everyone here as Torchlight 2. TL2 deserves praise but POE does to the same degree if not more. IMO anyway
Reply Quote
The passive skill tree (Yggrdrasil) is a wonderful concept. It's like going on a journey - you can see where your character could go, and what steps you need to take to get there.

I haven't played it for awhile, but will probably purchase it when it comes out of beta. I've done my turn as a beta tester.

What I'm really looking forward to though, is Grim Dawn. Bit of a wait though...
Reply Quote
I've been in the PoE closed beta for a while now, and while I've been neglecting it a bit lately due to TL2, it does seem to be shaping up to be a strong competitor in the genre (especially considering it being free-to-play). It starts off rather slow and clunky, but once you get a handle on the passive skill tree and start establishing a set of active skills, and getting support gems to mod them with, it really takes off imo.
Edited by Dreigun#1369 on 10/9/2012 11:51 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I've been in the beta since feb, and the game is bad.

The "passive web of wtf are you thinking" is beyond dumb, i mean, really, it's just 9 bajillioin +10 <enter stat> here, to get to the 1 cool skill there design. I'm pretty sure i can tape some crayons to my cats and get a better passive tree design.

the combat is slow and unresponsive

but my biggest complaint?

nothing changes, if i wanted to play a "stand here and kill mob 1" game i'd go back to diablo2, I went 60ish levels, and the only thing that changed, was the damage i did. No strategy required, no thought process to kill anything, just hold left click, and press a letter when you want to watch some horrible animation.
Reply Quote
I've been in the beta since feb, and the game is bad.

The "passive web of wtf are you thinking" is beyond dumb, i mean, really, it's just 9 bajillioin +10 <enter stat> here, to get to the 1 cool skill there design. I'm pretty sure i can tape some crayons to my cats and get a better passive tree design.

the combat is slow and unresponsive

but my biggest complaint?

nothing changes, if i wanted to play a "stand here and kill mob 1" game i'd go back to diablo2, I went 60ish levels, and the only thing that changed, was the damage i did. No strategy required, no thought process to kill anything, just hold left click, and press a letter when you want to watch some horrible animation.

For starters the game has changed quite a lot since february so if you haven't played much since then you haven't seen a lot of changes to the passive tree and the rest of the game.

That being said your critique of the passive tree is really strange. What your complaint exactly? Too many +10's to get to the interesting ones? I haven't experienced that much at all. There are more than enough interesting passives that you don't have to go far to get at all and that change your player a lot. There are a lot more than 1 cool passive skill in the tree so I have no idea why you would say that. The passive tree has everything that an ARPG fan could ever want to modify the characters. So what is there to complain about?

The combat isn't perfect and its super fast to start with but thats because its an action RPG, you have to build your character to play how you want it to. This isn't an action game like D3 that hands you your character for you.

Your biggest complaint is that nothing changes? How exactly is your complaint any different than D3? In D3 you spam the same 1 or 2 skills over and over again with little strategy so I don't see how POE is any different in that regard.

If you went 60 levels and all that change was your damage then I would question how you were making your character. There are than enough skill gems and support gems to change up your play style at any given moment.

At any rate if you still really like D3 I wouldn't expect you to enjoy POE right away. Very different games.
Edited by stryker#1589 on 10/10/2012 4:13 PM PDT
Reply Quote
My favorite thing about PoE?

People think that barter system will even put a dent in the number of "gold" sellers in game.

Just ask any other game with a secondary economy how well that worked out for them.

I would think that it would be harder to farm for orbs than gold, but I could be wrong.

Without being as mainstream and without the AH/RMAH I would think that gold sellers would prefer other games as opposed to POE.

Only time will tell. I also think that the POE devs will work harder to keep gold sellers out than D3 is currently doing.
Reply Quote
I absolutely love it.

It's diablo 2.5

Here are ten things that GGG (the dvelopers of PoE) learned from d2 and blizzard failed to implement into d3

1. The passive skill tree.

Dear god. You want build diversity? I laugh at d3's build diversity. Everyone uses whatever works best until blizzard nerfs it. Here is a link to PoE's passive skill tree:

http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/

This allows for almost limitless builds. I could go on forever about the tree but just check it out yourself.

The tree intimidates new people sometimes. It intimidated me. But it has a intuitive flow to it that makes sense after you analyze it.

2. PvP will be released before open beta. GGG seems to care about having a complete game. As a matter of fact it is often tested, by players, during certain weekends when its available.

3. No AH. No AH. It's not needed. When you find a rare, you can be somewhat confident it doesn't suck. Why? See point #4.

4. Primary stats are NOT emphasized on items. Just like in d2. That makes it so that one rare could be used my multiple character and build types. Your items do not HAVE to have dex and vit...or int and vit.

5. Many uniques are worth having, and all are designed by hand...by freaking players...not RNG. Again, you can build entire characters around a unique.

6. It's not WoWified. Very few skills have cool downs. You can spam nearly all your skills over and over.

7. It does not hold your hand. Death has real consquences.

8. Atmosphere. PoE is dark and gritty. You have a light radius in dungeons, just like d1 and d2. PoE doesn't look like a comic book.

9. You can jump between acts and difficulties within the game.

10. Support the underdog! GGG has an extremely small staff. They do not take the dumbed down approach that actiblizz did. It only costs 10 dollars to get involved!!

To sum up, when blizz does release PvP for d3...how fun will it really be? PvP between people who bought 60% of their gear from the AH and are using the exact same build as everyone else because choices are so limited? Have fun with that?

I'd rather take my duel wield ice ranger running 3 auras against a 2h axe or sword leap slam marauder (barb).
Edited by nateedubs#1268 on 10/11/2012 9:11 PM PDT
Reply Quote
Better than Dfail, for sure...
Reply Quote
I found the combat to be less rewarding/fluid than D3, that's for sure. Didn't hook me back during the beta, but they're doing some cool things for sure.
Reply Quote
10/11/2012 04:29 PMPosted by Onetwo
I found the combat to be less rewarding/fluid than D3, that's for sure. Didn't hook me back during the beta, but they're doing some cool things for sure.

The fluidity of combat in PoE does not even come close to d3. I love seeing monsters get blown apart in d3. D3 is a beautiful game in a "cartoonish not so diablo way".

This is called polish, and it will come in time in PoE.

The polish that d3 has only works for a while...much beyond that its rotten core begins to reveal itself.

People say d2 sucked at launch. That is true. However, they had a system in place to improve the game. d3....they have to restructure the game from the ground up.

We'll see.
Edited by nateedubs#1268 on 10/11/2012 9:04 PM PDT
Reply Quote
I got into the beta really early and tried it out for about 3 hours or so but it never really grabbed me.

I tried it again just a day or two ago so that I could see what has changed or been added to PoE and was just out in one of the areas and I stopped for a moment and looked around, good God what a boring looking map. A bunch of chests thrown all over the place and what seems just like somebody decided to throw a bunch of enemy mobs around the map.

I know that many people seem to fall in love with the passive skill circle, many times because they are awestruck by it. But it's a passive skill tree, hell most of the stuff is like "add 10 mana points" and you follow along the path in the tree adding 10 mp at a time until you finally get to the big passive skill. But when you add up all of those "big" passive options that you are following a path in the tree to get, it's really not all that impressive at all. Compared to all of the "add 10 mp" or "add 10 dex" or "add 10 str" etc nodes in that tree the big passive options that you are going for are actually not very many at all compared to other games with a skill tree, it just looks impressive because of the way that they've layed it out in that giant spiders web of passive "add 10 pts to what ever" nodes.

Anyway, in my opinion PoE is still very unpolished, it's really quite dull to look at (the maps, acts whatever you'd like to call them) and I am really not impressed with it at all.

I really don't see any reason to play PoE instead of games like Titans Quest or D3 or Torchlight 2 or a multitude of other AARPG's that have come out of the past several years, unless of course you don't have the money to put out for games like Diablo 3 or Torchlight 2 etc but then maybe you should be concentrating on getting work so you can afford games instead of playing a free game.
Edited by Runar#1385 on 10/12/2012 7:49 AM PDT
Reply Quote
I got into the beta really early and tried it out for about 3 hours or so but it never really grabbed me.

I tried it again just a day or two ago so that I could see what has changed or been added to PoE and was just out in one of the areas and I stopped for a moment and looked around, good God what a boring looking map. A bunch of chests thrown all over the place and what seems just like somebody decided to throw a bunch of enemy mobs around the map.

I'm not sure if your just bad mouthing the game because of your bias to other games but I will respond as if your being completely sincere. To me some of your complaints are objectively untrue. I don't really get your complaint about the chests. I barely remember seeing any chests when I play the game. Large chests are a treat to finally find because you never see them. When you do see chests to me they always appear to be deliberately placed and not all over the place as you put.

I know that many people seem to fall in love with the passive skill circle, many times because they are awestruck by it. But it's a passive skill tree, hell most of the stuff is like "add 10 mana points" and you follow along the path in the tree adding 10 mp at a time until you finally get to the big passive skill. But when you add up all of those "big" passive options that you are following a path in the tree to get, it's really not all that impressive at all. Compared to all of the "add 10 mp" or "add 10 dex" or "add 10 str" etc nodes in that tree the big passive options that you are going for are actually not very many at all compared to other games with a skill tree, it just looks impressive because of the way that they've layed it out in that giant spiders web of passive "add 10 pts to what ever" nodes.

"most of the stuff is like add 10 mana points" This comment is simply not true. You act like there aren't many interesting nodes to take and you have to take a ton of +10's before you can get anything interesting. This is quite simply not the case. When you start the game under any class its even possible to take over 30 nodes without ever even touching a +10 stat one. When you do take the +10's you don't have to go very far to get access to more nodes that buff your offense and defense in very specific ways.

You try to say that POE doesn't have as many skill tree options as other games which is completely ridiculous. Remember Path of Exiles skill tree is a PASSIVE skill tree. This passives skill tree has 20 major build changing nodes call keystones on top of the massive web of every passive you could ever want in an ARPG. If you want to focus on health, armor, energy shield, block, spell damage, melee damage, crit, crit damage, resistances, health regen, mana, mana regen, any damage to any weapon etc..... (just to name a few) you can do that. Here is the link to the passive skill tree for anyone who wants to see for themselves http://www.pathofexile.com/passive-skill-tree/AAAAAQMB

But if you to compare POE to other ARPG's you then have to leave the passive skill tree and look at the actual skills in the game. The skills come in the form of gems for each stat strength, dex, intelligence. Whats awesome about POE is you can switch these skill gems out of sockets in your equipment at any time and its a lot of fun finding the gems or trading for them. There are a ton of skill gems and here is the link to just the strength ones.....http://www.pathofexile.com/skills/strength.

Then on top of that you can then connect your socketed skill gem to a support gem to modify your character even further. Its a fun and robust system, take a look at the support gems yourself, here is the link http://www.pathofexile.com/skills/supportgems

I don't think any other ARPG has the depth of customization that Path of Exile has and this can be easily shown to a new comer in the youtube "build of the week" videos.
[/quote]

I really don't see any reason to play PoE instead of games like Titans Quest or D3 or Torchlight 2 or a multitude of other AARPG's that have come out of the past several years, unless of course you don't have the money to put out for games like Diablo 3 or Torchlight 2 etc but then maybe you should be concentrating on getting work so you can afford games instead of playing a free game.

Its almost unfair to even compare POE to D3 since D3 is so light on anything remotely RPG. IMO D3 is an action game and not an ARPG. I am curious what this multitude of other ARPG's is? Your not going to find an ARPG that is always online and being fine tuned, that is at the quality Path of Exile is at, and POE hasn't even hit Open Beta yet!
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]