Diablo® III

Blues - Please Add This Respawn Ability

11/01/2012 08:30 PMPosted by Lylirra
(On a note that's somewhat related to respawning, we also happen to agree that incremental resurrection timers are overkill -- especially given the other penalties you incur when dying -- and are looking to change it so that players can always revive at the last checkpoint five seconds after death in an upcoming patch.)

Softcore deaths have penalties?
Reply Quote
It would be awesome to allow banners to create a checkpoint. THere is no downside really. Especially in solo play. In coperative play I use banners all the time. Not to create a checkpoint, but to speed things up when i die and don't even respawn anywhere near the fight. I town portal and banner to a non melee group member.

This would be great for solo play. Even if you put a banner in a place where it moves you away from the group in coperative people will learn to place banners more carefully or just do what they already do in group play portal and use a banner to port to the fight.

In coperative banners should always work how they already do.

Listen to your players they have a few damn good suggestions if you just listen to what they have to say. Of course you have to only take the best suggestions. Read these forums people have some really good ideas that will make D3 a great game.
Reply Quote
(On a note that's somewhat related to respawning, we also happen to agree that incremental resurrection timers are overkill -- especially given the other penalties you incur when dying -- and are looking to change it so that players can always revive at the last checkpoint five seconds after death in an upcoming patch.)

This is something that actually concerns me along with some of the people I occasionally play with. The intent behind the incremental timer ON MULTIPLAYER makes sense as intended but in play it just serves as a point of frustration. Granted if you are dying enough times to create long timers you probably need to gear up, but some of us like to try pushing our current builds as far as we can. Changing it to a permanent 5 second timer I feel is a bit of a double-edged sword. 99% of the time if I die, it only happens once (which may or may not be the case for the average player but does stand as the norm for my circle) and the change from 3 seconds to 5 seconds in all of those cases will only result in more time NOT playing the game, which I don't think should ever be the intent.

That being said, I feel like the timer is a far greater issue in single player games. The rational behind the timer only makes sense to me when we are talking about someone trying to rush back into battle to help the other players. That is a non issue in single player and to be honest it takes away from my desire to try to push myself when Im playing on my own. I'm pretty stubborn about avenging my deaths and the last thing I want to do when I'm struggling to kill something is to sit and wait for a timer. It honestly just feels like a waste to me and the last thing I want to do, as someone with limited time to actually spend playing games, is to waste any of that precious time on cooldown timers during a single player experience. Nothing will change while I'm sitting there waiting, so what is the point? I would like to hear what the rationale is behind this.
Edited by Hahdy#1199 on 11/2/2012 6:01 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Thank god

the next patch should be about quality of life improvements for the players

add stuff to paragon
Edited by Skeeks#1791 on 11/2/2012 6:09 AM PDT
Reply Quote
That said, we completely agree that banners in their current form are pretty boring and we'd love to make them more useful. If you have other ideas for banner uses, please share them!

I think you should be able to socket something in them which gives your banner an aurora when you throw it down. so if i put in say an emerald, everyone in range gets 5% attack speed till the banner goes away.
Reply Quote
This is a horrible idea.
Why do people want to make the game so easy it simply becomes silly?
This could only work out in case you pay some gold or make items lose more durability to do so.
Edited by Lithary#2276 on 11/2/2012 6:40 AM PDT
Reply Quote
11/02/2012 06:48 AMPosted by Drake
And the only explanation being given so far is that it's to avoid certain gameplay issues. But they don't say what they were.

We might guess it's to discourage a build that's pure DPS with no defense whatsoever.
If there were no cost to death you might as well do a build that dies all the time. Death is supposed to be a challenge that your build takes into account, just as a build needs to be able to deal with different types of enemies (ranged, melee, various affixes).

For example if you could plant a respawn banner in a boss fight, the best way to fight the boss would probably be to plant banner and then be pure DPS no defense. Same for tough elites. Just keep coming back from the dead and hit hard.

Also if there's no cost to death then the fight is less exciting, because you have nothing at risk.

That said, sometimes re-running an entire dungeon seems like an excessive penalty. And yeah, I would not consider playing hardcore, ever ;-)
Reply Quote
yes, it would be great to have functionality from that banner. I am a bit concerned about exploits being created with this but they could just hotfix those as they occur.

It seems that someone had a cool idea for banners, but they were just abandoned by the side of the road. Why put all this work in the customization of them and unlocking design for something that is basically useless?
Reply Quote
This is a horrible idea.
This could only work out in case you pay some gold or make items lose more durability to do so.

yeah running all the way through empty corridors sure gives us a great challenge.
Reply Quote
They should just make it so you don't die then, I mean really..

What the hell more do you people want?
Reply Quote
View profile

Why have a timer at all?
Reply Quote
This is a horrible idea.

yeah running all the way through empty corridors sure gives us a great challenge.

It's not a challenge, it's:

1. Your punishment for dying
2. To make death meaningful
3. To keep people from just zerging down packs... It makes it more efficient to kill them without dying, rather than just glass cannoning and spawning on top of your corpse and then blowing them up till you die again.. Even with repair costs (or stacking no dura hit items) people would still do this.

Seriously, you people need to relive the days of:

Corpse runs in EQ
Contra and Super C
Zelda?! Even a game with Checkpoints and saving puts at the beginning of the dungeon when you die.

This insanity of checkpoints every two feet in games, and the "YOU WIN ******" screen being handed to people in games now days is sickening.

You've turned first place trophies into participant sashes.
Reply Quote
@ the people saying this would be too easy,

It was already proposed to have a lengthy cooldown associated with it. Also it was proposed to not have it eligible to drop during boss fights/events.

This solves all those problems, its simply a quality of life change that as a nice side effect makes the banner actually useful and viable to see.

Why even have this fancy banner with unlocked items that you can customize on it just to have exactly zero reason to use it period.

Going up against a pack whose affixes are hard to handle with your character, toss down your banner for a one use, 10 minute cooldown, for a check point. Have it disabled in multiplayer if you want to avoid chain abuse or whatever.

It is purely quality of life change. Start hitting crazy lag, run away and plant your flag... etc.

When i die because client didnt recognize a request or because of a lag spike i dont need a 2 minute run back to "learn a lesson" or "suffer a penalty".
Reply Quote
10/08/2012 05:28 PMPosted by mars
how easy should this game be?

How does this even REMOTELY have an effect on difficulty? I mean MAYBE the fact that you can get back to your friends faster with it... but it's not like you can't already just teleport to town and teleport to them... FFS even if they're dead you can still teleport to them!

Cutting out a walking distance of 1-2 minutes is not a huge deal, but it would definitely be a nice addition.

It's not easier. It's not "cheap". It's not going to make a (noticable) impact on how the game is actually played

Grow up -.-
Reply Quote
As some players have pointed out, allowing characters to revive at their banner's location does create some complications and could lead to certain kinds of gameplay that we'd prefer to avoid in Diablo III (this is actually why we don't allow players use Town Portals in the same way that you could in Diablo II). We definitely appreciate the feedback, though, and will continue to consider how we might be able to accommodate this suggestion -- or at least something similar -- in the future.

That said, we completely agree that banners in their current form are pretty boring and we'd love to make them more useful. If you have other ideas for banner uses, please share them!

i can suggest making each banner have bonus attributes. like 2 pct increase damage, loh bonus, life steal bonus , crit chance , and so on. every banner will have. the harder the achievement, the better bonus you get. so that everybody will do achievements
Reply Quote

It's not a challenge, it's:

1. Your punishment for dying
2. To make death meaningful
3. To keep people from just zerging down packs... It makes it more efficient to kill them without dying, rather than just glass cannoning and spawning on top of your corpse and then blowing them up till you die again.. Even with repair costs (or stacking no dura hit items) people would still do this.

Seriously, you people need to relive the days of:

Corpse runs in EQ
Contra and Super C
Zelda?! Even a game with Checkpoints and saving puts at the beginning of the dungeon when you die.

This insanity of checkpoints every two feet in games, and the "YOU WIN ******" screen being handed to people in games now days is sickening.

You've turned first place trophies into participant sashes.

Wow you are really hardcore, I wish i found these things fun too.

Seriously I do play roguelikes and stuff, I don't mind consequences but I would rather my punishment for dying would be to refill the whole dungeons and make me do it again than have me run through endless empty corridors but hey on the bright side sometimes I notice I forgot a pile of gold somewhere. If there is a consequence, please let it not be boredom.
Edited by wonko33#1278 on 11/2/2012 9:06 AM PDT
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]