Diablo® III

Blues - Please Add This Respawn Ability

11/01/2012 08:58 PMPosted by Lylirra
Make that 3 seconds please... otherwise it's a negative patch to players who rarely die.

Noted!

Make banners cast an aura for players based on their achievement points. Something like:

< 1000: +3s to all active buffs
< 2000: -1s to all cc effects
< 3000: +all res
< 4000: +vit
> 4000: all of the above

Plug in your own values/effects. :)
Reply Quote

It's not easier. It's not "cheap". It's not going to make a (noticable) impact on how the game is actually played

Grow up -.-

Then I'd say you are the one who should "grow up" if you admit it's superfluous and are still asking for it.
Reply Quote

It's not easier. It's not "cheap". It's not going to make a (noticable) impact on how the game is actually played

Grow up -.-

Then I'd say you are the one who should "grow up" if you admit it's superfluous and are still asking for it.

It is pretty superfluous to drive the store when your feet work just fine. However i am willing to bet you choose to drive.
Reply Quote

Wow you are really hardcore, I wish i found these things fun too.

Seriously I do play roguelikes and stuff, I don't mind consequences but I would rather my punishment for dying would be to refill the whole dungeons and make me do it again than have me run through endless empty corridors but hey on the bright side sometimes I notice I forgot a pile of gold somewhere. If there is a consequence, please let it not be boredom.

If refilling the dungeon was the penalty, then people would just do VoA or one of the Keep levels, over and over again, and suicide once it was almost empty.

It really wouldn't be a penalty at all.
Reply Quote

It is pretty superfluous to drive the store when your feet work just fine. However i am willing to bet you choose to drive.

I'm also not asking someone to give me a bullet train from my home to the store.

Also, your bet would be wrong most of the time, as I generally walk to the store and bike to work weather permitting, once the weathers terrible, it's no longer superfluous.
Reply Quote
I'm assuming they're worried about players whittling down enemies by spawning, dying, repeat... I just don't know what kind of other exploit there could be. However, there's a few ways to let us use banners as a respawn tool (although I'd prefer they just change how town portal works back to the old way) that wouldn't interrupt gameplay.

- Allow respawns on banners but infer some sort of additional penalty, like:
- - allowing enemies off-screen to regenerate health, while enemies on-screen are given a damage boost for a short amount of time (20-30 seconds maybe?) and have these abilities stack everytime they choose to respawn at their banner, up to a 50% increase in damage for on-screen mobs, and instant full life recovery for all off-screen mobs.
- - Respawning at your banner reduces your maximum hp and/or skill resource to a fraction of what it normally is for a period of time, and/or increase skill cooldowns. (This is how Final Fantasy XI does it, and I'm sure other MMO's do something similar)
- - Reduce the amount of damage you deal and/or increase the amount of damage you receive, possibly even stacking these effects as you continuously respawn.
- - Penalize the player a percentage of their current level's experience target when respawning at their banner (also from FFXI: characters were penalized 10% of the current level's exp target when they died.)

You guys get the idea; here's some other limitation ideas for banner-respawning:

- Don't allow banners to be used in boss areas, or on boss floors.

- Introduce a "lengthy" respawn animation (just a couple of seconds or so,) in which the player cannot move, but can still take damage.

- Make enemies within x yards of the banner aware of its location, and send them racing towards it like a beacon as soon as a player dies.

- Give the banner a health bar, allowing enemies to destroy it. To conincide with this, add a 1-2 minute cooldown on summoning a banner to prevent players from constantly dropping a new one everytime they respawn.

- Only allow a certain number of banner respawns per a time restriction. Something like 1-3 banner respawns every 5 minutes.

-------------------------

Personally, I'd like to just have them change Town Portal back to the way it used to be. I don't even care if they increase the casting time, make it spawn directly on your location, make enemies regenerate to 100% hp when you die, AND make a lengthy "porting in" animation so that monsters can tear you apart if you try to drop a TP near a mob; I'd agree to ALL of that AND MORE if they would "fix" Town Portal. All I want, is a method to get back to where I was AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. I'd rather have to fight mobs for an additional 5 minutes after I had them down to 1% hp, than have to run through an empty map for 30-45 seconds to kill the weakened mob. It's not about trying to "cheese" your way through it, it's about having fun and actually DOING something instead of feeling like you're wasting your time. There have been numerous occasions where I have died near the end of a lengthy area, and decided to quit playing or start over, rather than waste my time running alllllllllll the way back to where I was.

Please take some of this into consideration. Thanks!

~~Nate
Edited by ShadowHado#1348 on 11/2/2012 10:38 AM PDT
Reply Quote
For what it's worth... I'd love to see death have an even greater penality. 10% percent of current level requirements would be perfect. Right now, the only people that fear death are the Hardcore boys and girls.

Greater risk equals greater rewards... Bring the pain... Please.
Reply Quote
Most "funny" is, when you are resurrected in town, in another dung, or 2 maps away from current death location...
Edited by Evilbringer#2606 on 11/2/2012 10:42 AM PDT
Reply Quote
It would be nice in co-op to be able to place your banner and have your friend place his/her banner, and be able to travel between them, without having to resort to going back to town and then bannering.
Reply Quote
For what it's worth... I'd love to see death have an even greater penality. 10% percent of current level requirements would be perfect. Right now, the only people that fear death are the Hardcore boys and girls.

Greater risk equals greater rewards... Bring the pain... Please.

I concur... Xp loss, higher repair costs (for ilvl 61+ anyways)... Lose a stack of neph valor? YES PLS
Reply Quote
How about a timer placed on your banner. You can place it in the dungeon as your progress and move it along, and once you die you rez at the banner. But then you have a long cooldown before being able to do so again. Could be a few minutes. Then you don't have deathzerging.

Also, you should be able to place your banner so your teammates can teleport to that spot rather than your location. That would keep people from teleporting into the exact center of a fight. How many times I've just decided to run back 30 seconds to the group because I keep teleporting into a pile of frozen desecrator sentries.
Reply Quote
11/01/2012 08:37 PMPosted by Cognus87
keep the respawn timers or even increase them.

Yeah cuz waiting to play is fun.

derp.
Reply Quote
It would be cool if the banner had some sort of functionality. I've maybe used it once to ping the map to show a group that there is a dead elite there and to loot it. It would be nice if we could put some sort of special buff on the banner which we could throw down on a boss fight to help out a bit. Or at least let us port to it so we don't have to walk so far while soloing.
Reply Quote
11/02/2012 11:09 AMPosted by TheMoj
keep the respawn timers or even increase them.

derp.

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

8 of the top 10 games being played on steam right now have significant wait times and or run backs from death, or during other peoples turns..

Yes, having a loss of time as a penalty is a staple in gaming.
Reply Quote
i think just lets say a couple of unmarked checkpoints could be enough or like a percent calculator after you pass 50% of the dungeon make an invisible checkpoint (in areas like vault of assassins and of that sort)
Reply Quote
11/02/2012 11:13 AMPosted by Pyronius

derp.

http://store.steampowered.com/stats/

8 of the top 10 games being played on steam right now have significant wait times and or run backs from death, or during other peoples turns..

Yes, having a loss of time as a penalty is a staple in gaming.

the fact that they are top 10 games is not an endorsement to their most boring features. Also many of those are team based, the down time is not a penalty for your death but a reward to the other team for killing you
Reply Quote
I'd think about ways to make death inefficient, but not tedious. I think that's why some people are suggesting a long cooldown instead of the run-back. But the cooldown would be sort of boring to sit through too.

The player could just be "cursed" for a while after death - like lowered magic find, or dealing half damage, or something.

Or for dying to an elite, some kind of monster heal on death could work.... The previous problem with that was that it made some elites flat unbeatable (especially when combined with enrage). If you couldn't kill an elite without dying, you were just stuck.

The heal would be merely inefficient and not a brick wall, however, if it was partial - it could be for example 50% of remaining life (50% remaining = heal to 75%, 10% remaining = heal to 15%). With no enrage you could still wear a monster down while dying.

Or simpler: keep the incremental resurrection timers and make the timer longer for deaths after the first, so if you start to die repeatedly it gets really slow. But a single death is just a short wait and repair costs (with no run-back).

Lose a stack of NV when you die.
Reply Quote
11/02/2012 12:52 PMPosted by wonko33
the down time is not a penalty for your death but a reward to the other team for killing you

You're using "The cup isnt half full, its half empty" argument.

At the end of the day, the contents of the cup are what they are, regardless of "perspective".
Reply Quote
I think the banner is a great solution because it doesn't force people who don't like this to use it where automatic checkpoints would
Reply Quote
11/02/2012 12:57 PMPosted by Pyronius
the down time is not a penalty for your death but a reward to the other team for killing you

You're using "The cup isnt half full, its half empty" argument.

At the end of the day, the contents of the cup are what they are, regardless of "perspective".

absolutely not. I am saying a delayed re-spawn is a game mechanic in a team based game. The successful team gets rewarded for doing well, you having to wait is just a by product.

In Diablo, there is no purpose to making you run all the way back through empty zones where there is no challenge, do the elites need a little break from the fight? To they need time to recover? Come up with a strategy??
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)

Reported!

[Close]