I'm assuming they're worried about players whittling down enemies by spawning, dying, repeat... I just don't know what kind of other exploit there could be. However, there's a few ways to let us use banners as a respawn tool (although I'd prefer they just change how town portal works back to the old way) that wouldn't interrupt gameplay.
- Allow respawns on banners but infer some sort of additional penalty, like:
- - allowing enemies off-screen to regenerate health, while enemies on-screen are given a damage boost for a short amount of time (20-30 seconds maybe?) and have these abilities stack everytime they choose to respawn at their banner, up to a 50% increase in damage for on-screen mobs, and instant full life recovery for all off-screen mobs.
- - Respawning at your banner reduces your maximum hp and/or skill resource to a fraction of what it normally is for a period of time, and/or increase skill cooldowns. (This is how Final Fantasy XI does it, and I'm sure other MMO's do something similar)
- - Reduce the amount of damage you deal and/or increase the amount of damage you receive, possibly even stacking these effects as you continuously respawn.
- - Penalize the player a percentage of their current level's experience target when respawning at their banner (also from FFXI: characters were penalized 10% of the current level's exp target when they died.)
You guys get the idea; here's some other limitation ideas for banner-respawning:
- Don't allow banners to be used in boss areas, or on boss floors.
- Introduce a "lengthy" respawn animation (just a couple of seconds or so,) in which the player cannot move, but can still take damage.
- Make enemies within x yards of the banner aware of its location, and send them racing towards it like a beacon as soon as a player dies.
- Give the banner a health bar, allowing enemies to destroy it. To conincide with this, add a 1-2 minute cooldown on summoning a banner to prevent players from constantly dropping a new one everytime they respawn.
- Only allow a certain number of banner respawns per a time restriction. Something like 1-3 banner respawns every 5 minutes.
Personally, I'd like to just have them change Town Portal back to the way it used to be. I don't even care if they increase the casting time, make it spawn directly on your location, make enemies regenerate to 100% hp when you die, AND make a lengthy "porting in" animation so that monsters can tear you apart if you try to drop a TP near a mob; I'd agree to ALL of that AND MORE if they would "fix" Town Portal. All I want, is a method to get back to where I was AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. I'd rather have to fight mobs for an additional 5 minutes after I had them down to 1% hp, than have to run through an empty map for 30-45 seconds to kill the weakened mob. It's not about trying to "cheese" your way through it, it's about having fun and actually DOING something instead of feeling like you're wasting your time. There have been numerous occasions where I have died near the end of a lengthy area, and decided to quit playing or start over, rather than waste my time running alllllllllll the way back to where I was.
Please take some of this into consideration. Thanks!
Edited by ShadowHado#1348 on 11/2/2012 10:38 AM PDT