Diablo® III

Treasure goblin advice?

Context:
Today, I ran into a treasure goblin in the keep (A3) and went into pure SC mode – popped WOTB, ran through piles of trash mobs, and finally used leap to get to the little jerk. Satisfied with the yellow that dropped, I realized that my CDs were gone and I was surrounded by a ton of enemies, including two elite packs. Not overly concerned, I started hacking away at the mob when I was hit by some of those green guys who blow up in your face. Suddenly, I was down to 10% health and realized the full gravity of the situation. Anyways, with a bit of luck, a potion, and getting out of dodge, I survived to tell the tale ;)

Question:
I've already learned the most important lesson from this encounter: never chase a goblin into a dark corner of the map!
Beyond that piece of wisdom, what sort of advice do you have for killing treasure goblins without killing yourself in the process?
Reply Quote
Just be glad you got out!

This is why the little buggers run: Blizz wants you to chase them and get in trouble. Not a big deal in SC, but it can be a HC nightmare.

It's easier to let them goand fight another day. If you can, leap past them, and chase them back to an area you have cleared: at least you can know there is nothing behind, and you can check what mobs you brought with you.
Reply Quote
If possible, pass the goblin so that it turns around and runs back in to "safe" territory.
Reply Quote
Treasure gob killing can be very troublesome for a WD =/
Reply Quote
10/03/2012 06:06 AMPosted by Spicypie
If possible, pass the goblin so that it turns around and runs back in to "safe" territory.

Great advice. I always trek a bit past them and lead them back into safe territory. . .that or I just leave 'em be.

It's hard to not chase them though.
Reply Quote
Thanks for the advice, guys.

Def #1 thing I've learned is that HC is not SC.

Had this drilled home the other night when in a public game (first mistake) and some a$$ hat was out soloing the map. He types "gob" so I town portal, click his banner (second mistake) to find him completely surrounded and rapidly dying. I WC then leap out of harms way in time to see the inevitable "dumb !@# monk is slain". I typed "GG" but didn't hit enter - didn't feel like being BM :)

10/03/2012 07:23 AMPosted by krazlys
Treasure gob killing can be very troublesome for a WD =/

Fair, I'm still pretty low level on my WD.
Edited by aMorras#1512 on 10/3/2012 12:29 PM PDT
Reply Quote
There's a pattern to registering damage on treasure gobs. A 'rhythm' if you will... Find it and they can't run away. SSSHHH though, don't tell blizzurd.
Reply Quote
You did the right thing, goblins were put into the game to be butchered, and if it costs you your character so be it.
Reply Quote
Next time clear the monster around you before you attack the goblin.
Reply Quote
I get the impression that Treasure Goblins may be a leading cause of death among the HC crowd... no?

10/03/2012 11:21 AMPosted by Mundornan
You did the right thing, goblins were put into the game to be butchered, and if it costs you your character so be it.

Heh ... Just glad it was NM where everything is still easy.

10/03/2012 11:45 AMPosted by EmmetOtter
Be prepared to let them go though, its just not worth it.

That's my takeaway from this experience! =)
Reply Quote
10/03/2012 12:27 PMPosted by aMorras
I get the impression that Treasure Goblins may be a leading cause of death among the HC crowd... no?
No... definatly lag and d/c
Reply Quote
1.0.5 should make herding goblins easier with "no-engage if I'm not within 10 meters" for followers/summons, particularly for WDs.

I don't really have a problem herding them (circling and chasing back to cleared space) even with WD, but then I do let a few go where I know it is too dangerous to chase.

But I also get the occasional adreniline rush and chase ones I shouldn't.
Reply Quote
Yesterday I chased one in VoA. Into a dead end with those spiral moving fan guys horde edition. !@#$ was goin down, so I gave up once I cornered the gob. I ran a few meters to the side, but noticed gob was down to like 10% health, so I SW back to him, spammed bears until my mana was out. I popped Horrify, gob died, got out into the clear and eventually took down the pack.

Fun stuff. First one I chased on A2 past an elite. Will boomerang
Reply Quote
The goblins that are in Inferno need to be nerfed... They hit too hard for my class/spec. Please Blizzard...wtf.
Reply Quote
Don't chase goblins into unknown unless you over-gear the content so much you can't possibly die short to a disconnect.

Pretty much all there is to it.
Reply Quote
What are you doing in keep lvl 2? Big nono if you want to live
Reply Quote
@truescorn

i rumored about that too, but got distractedet most of the time. do you feel able to describe a possible pattern?
Edited by daydreamer#2245 on 10/3/2012 5:28 PM PDT
Reply Quote
The treasure goblin pathing algorithm consists of a vector pulse every 1 second, followed by it choosing the direction that maximizes it's linear distance from you.

So to trap it, you leap in front of it to guide it's direction away from you. It will always choose a direction directly away from you initially, and then make sharp turns as your angle with respect to it's hitbox(hitcircle tangent) changes with movement.

The second it starts to travel in the vector you find desireable, you count to 1, and adjust your position relative to its position, such that it will be guided into a corner. Once it is in a corner, do not left click on it. Left clicking makes you move closer than required to hit the target, so even if you have it cornered, it will slip out; when you are standing too close to it, the vector pulse will occur, and unless you are exactly on the point of its hitcircle so that the radius line connecting the center of the goblin to you is orthogonal to your tangent line, it will choose a sharp left/right depending on which side you are closer to.

To keep him in the corner, you must shift left click, move, shift left click, move, stutterstepping left and right nonstop, and it will remain in that corner or only zigzag back and forth going nowhere.

It's hard to describe, but you will get it with more experience.
Reply Quote

Please report any Code of Conduct violations, including:

Threats of violence. We take these seriously and will alert the proper authorities.

Posts containing personal information about other players. This includes physical addresses, e-mail addresses, phone numbers, and inappropriate photos and/or videos.

Harassing or discriminatory language. This will not be tolerated.

Forums Code of Conduct

Report Post # written by

Reason
Explain (256 characters max)
Submit Cancel

Reported!

[Close]